Splinterheads - new movie has geocaching in it!

Watched it this evening on netflix. Not a movie that I would have paid to see in the theater. It didn't totally stink, I've seen much, much worse actually. The plot was transparent, the ending predictable, but this is also an independent movie for the most part. It kept my attention, but only because I wanted to see the buttwipe of a boyfriend get it in the end. LOL Not one I would even own if I saw it in the bargin bin at wally world, but it kept me entertained this evening while I am sitting here in misery with the 'ICK' bug that's going around. I did really like Grandpa! He's a hoot, and actually made the movie for me! :) That and Galaxy going after the swimming hole cache. ;)

I really enjoyed the movie. Since the movie is rated R for language and other things, I knew what I was getting into at the start.

I liked the organic storyline. It's the tried and true story of boy meets girl, and if your watching it for a geocaching 101 crash course, it's probably not the place to start.

The style is similar to the movie Humboldt County and it relies a lot on dialog, but it also does not lack visually. It's a great movie for people trying to introduce geocaching to the late teen crowd, and adds a romantic aspect to the sport.

We saw it when it came out during the college film festival circuit, we actually got to hide one of "Galaxy's" geocaches in Charlottesville, Virginia, to help promote the movie and got two free passes to go see it.

It was interesting to see geocaching on the big screen, but the plot, yeah, not so gripping.

It was a little disappointing to see the film marketers' interpretation of a geocache. When I was originally contacted, I had visions of "Project A.P.E." dancing through my head, I couldn't wait to see the cache they had planned. They sent me a medium size plastic home organizer container that was far from waterproof, no pens, no log book, basically just a pile of postcards for the movie. We ended up adding a bunch of whatnot to the box to spice it up a bit.

Watched it this evening on netflix. Not a movie that I would have paid to see in the theater. It didn't totally stink, I've seen much, much worse actually. The plot was transparent, the ending predictable, but this is also an independent movie for the most part. It kept my attention, but only because I wanted to see the buttwipe of a boyfriend get it in the end. LOL Not one I would even own if I saw it in the bargin bin at wally world, but it kept me entertained this evening while I am sitting here in misery with the 'ICK' bug that's going around. I did really like Grandpa! He's a hoot, and actually made the movie for me! :) That and Galaxy going after the swimming hole cache. ;)

You would not have paid to see it in the Theatre, because it pretty much didn't play in any. I think it had one day each in NYC, Austin, and maybe Seattle was the 3rd one. Total domestic box-office Gross $16,000: Box Office Mojo page for Splinterheads So it essentially became a direct to DVD release. Although I was interested, I never did get around to buying a copy. I rented it at Blockbuster, although I had to get a copy mail-ordered to my house, no Blockbuster near me carried it.

I'm positive they did get a contract to run it on cable TV in the future. I want to say USA network, but don't quote me on that. It was a small Indie film that we would have hoped did better, but in the end, probably did as well as could be expected.

Me, I'm not offended by R rated movies, and I kind of liked it. I think I will buy a copy one of these days. Assuming I don't completely forget of it's existence, like I had for the past year. ;)

Added this to my Netflix "watch-it-now" queue. Not willing to have it shipped to my house but I'll take a look at it via the stream.

Having read all the posts in this thread I don't have high expectations but I'll give it a shot.

Just be ready for the F-bomb being constantly dropped. It is like directors thing having everyone say it over and over will make a movie better somehow.

Just finished this movie and I actually liked it a lot. It was interesting enough to peak my interest long enough. The F Bomb was not dropped nearly as much as everyone is claiming it was. I was expecting it to be dropped every 20 seconds and going for the record of most swear words the way people were talking.

I think a lot of the Swear words gave the main character a little more depth. He is obviously doing nothing with his life the way it is, so they had to make him fill the do nothing slacker role.

I rented this and are you scared 2 over the weekend. Just to see how Geocaching would be portrayed in the movies. I honestly liked this interpretation a lot better.

I watched it not too long ago with a friend (after seeing it on Netflix before and turning it off) and I actually ended up liking it. I had no idea geocaching existed until I saw it, and that part of the movie stuck with me. So I googled it and found out that geocaching is a real thing. And I started doing it :). I also didn't notice the language. But it turned me on to geocaching so hey :).

I seen this movie a few months ago and really injoyed it.

Does any one know when it's due out on DVD in the uk?

I looked it up on their Twitter account, and it was released to DVD in the USA on February 16, 2010. That's almost 2 years ago! I wouldn't expect their would be a UK release of such an obscure independent film.

Someone a few posts up said it was on Netflix. So I figure I'd look on wikipedia to see if Netflix is available in the UK. And it tells me Netflix was launced in the UK and Ireland on January 9, 2012. Hey, that's today!! So if you want to be a pioneer Netflix UK user, you can join and watch it there. :D

I wouldn't spend too much on a DVD. The geocaching angle is neat, but overall it's not a great film.

I was excited to be a part of hiding a cache for "Galaxy," the character in the film -- the promotion folks worked through geocaching.com to get caches hidden near film festivals that were screening the film, and I hid the one in Charlottesville, VA. That came with free passes both for the first finders and for us. For a free movie, it was pretty good. Had I paid for it, I might not have been as satisfied.

Side note: we had to laugh at the container the promotion folks sent us for the cache -- it was one of those indoor storage containers, would have leaked like a sieve.

I watched the movie last night after reading this thread. True, it's not the greatest movie ever... But it was really, really cool to actually see people in a movie taking part in my newfound addiction.

When Galaxy sat down to eagerly rummage through the swag after finding the underwater cache, I couldn't help but grin. I turned to my husband and said, "It's absolutely amazing how much fun a mature adult can have with a box of random plastic trinkets, isn't it?"

It's not the kind of movie I'd usually bother watching, but I enjoyed seeing a little bit of caching. And Grandpa. :D

I wouldn't spend too much on a DVD. The geocaching angle is neat, but overall it's not a great film.

I was excited to be a part of hiding a cache for "Galaxy," the character in the film -- the promotion folks worked through geocaching.com to get caches hidden near film festivals that were screening the film, and I hid the one in Charlottesville, VA. That came with free passes both for the first finders and for us. For a free movie, it was pretty good. Had I paid for it, I might not have been as satisfied.

Side note: we had to laugh at the container the promotion folks sent us for the cache -- it was one of those indoor storage containers, would have leaked like a sieve.

Looks like the character Galaxy isn't the only sock puppet. Who is that guy who hid the cache? :P

The Galaxy account still owns two caches, but I think there were more like yours. Note how that account for a fictional character joined in 2003. My guess is someone associated with the movie did an account name change.

Don't have the link, but the fictional Galaxy account actually made of few posts to the Mid-Atlantic forum to promote the Central Park Splinterheads cache. I flirted with her a litte, and said "by the way, I better not be really talking to a dude". :o

I saw the movie for the first time a few weeks ago. I agree that it's not a very good movie, but seeing geocaching in a movie is cool.

It took me some time, but I figured out where the underwater cache was hidden. It's only an hour from my house and I'm thinking of putting a cache there. There is a multi that is pretty close to it but it hasn't been found in a while and is a candidate for archival.

Edited by briansnat

I saw the movie for the first time a few weeks ago. I agree that it's not a very good movie, but seeing geocaching in a movie is cool.

It took me some time, but I figured out where the underwater cache was hidden. It's only an hour from my house and I'm thinking of putting a cache there. There is a multi that is pretty close to it but it hasn't been found in a while and is a candidate for archival.

If you hide it, I will go find it! :)

BTW, I was one of the few people who actually liked the movie. Not at the beginning, but some of the characters developed nicely. Especially the magician and his assistant. They stole the show, in my opinion!

If you hide it, I will go find it! :)

BTW, I was one of the few people who actually liked the movie. Not at the beginning, but some of the characters developed nicely. Especially the magician and his assistant. They stole the show, in my opinion!

I didn't dislike it, but it was something I'm glad I didn't pay to see. Galaxy was certainly easy to watch.

SWMBO and I watched the movie last night. I thought it was mediocre. Not the worst movie I've streamed on NetFlix and not the best.

I thought that Galaxie sure started following her GPSr way early in many of those scenes. It seemed she was way off when she first assumed the nose-to-the-GPS walking position.

Overall we laughed a few times; especially at the Grandpa parts and Amazing Steve + Wyoming. I love you Wyoming.

If anyones interested you can watch it for free on hulu.

Considering Hulu will probably give them 1/16 of a cent in royalties, and the movie made about $10, I'd just buy it.

Just kidding. :laughing: I noticed it's on Netflix too. I rented it from Blockbuster when it was brand new, although it was a mail order rental, not stocked locally. I also remember hearing they had a contract to put it on the USA Network. Maybe they already have, I haven't watched that channel in years.