Splinterheads - new movie has geocaching in it!

I have a copy and watched it a few days ago. It only touches on Geocaching and isn't a real good film. I would have liked to see it incorporate more of geocaching and more of a family friendly movie. Because that's what Geocaching is all about.

The part where she is on the side of the road looking for the waterfall isn't accurate. Unless her GPS is miles off, or waas is not enabled :( LOL

The movie really let me down.

Edited by ChaseOnTheGo

The site does not host anything therefore it is legal. It simply has information.

:(

:)

I am surprised that Limewire is still around! (Is it?) That is so '03! Torrents are out, direct download is in.

I understand that it has geocaching in it but it's not family friendly which makes me wonder why it is on the geocaching.com website.

... I understand that it has geocaching in it but it's not family friendly which makes me wonder why it is on the geocaching.com website.

Because Groundspeak expects it members to act like adults and make good decisions for themselves?

Because Groundspeak provides information, not babysitting services?

Yeah, I'll bet it's both of those. :(

I first heard of this movie in the NYT where it was reviewed. We came close to seeing it in the theater in NYC but decided we would spend our time in the city otherwise thinking that we could catch the film at home. However, it never made it into a wider theatrical release and so we've been anxiously waiting for the DVD release ... finally got to see the movie this weekend (yeah, Netflix!).

The movie itself was completely forgettable except for the geocaching parts, and there were more of those than I expected. It almost seemed to me to be a case of official product placement, especially because the geocaching scenes were so awkward and not well integrated. Did anyone else get that sense?

In this movie the geocacher Galaxy:

1) explains geocaching/GPSr/coords to the guy who is enamored with her

2) finds an underwater cache "Splashdown" whose carabiner attachment device is clearly shown

3) examines and explains the "Splashdown" log book and swag in some detail

4) does cache maintenance on her own large "Monkey Barrel" cache (despite the fact that she is supposedly a traveling carnival worker and not from this area)

5) takes some heat from her boyfriend for always "going after those things"

6) researches new caches including "Down the Rabbit Hole" (which I have found in NYC) on the Geocaching.com website

7) happens upon a microcache "Electric Cache" whose construction is spelled out

Never saw the movie, and probably won't. I did go looking for one of the Splinterhead caches. I was not impressed. It had been muggled before I got there. Poor hide. Not a good area. Cache was replaced, but whoever did it (not the hider) could not access the account to remove the 'NM', not mark the TBs as missing.

I was not impressed.

Ordered it on Netflix when I saw it on the base page here and got it in the next day. Watched it that night.

They are definitely going for the Napoleon Dynamite/Revenge of the Nerds crowd, which imho is a pretty low mark. :D I would give it a one smile just because of the geocaching and the cool grandpa. :DB):lol::P:lol:

Oddly, I got another movie with the same actress that same night, never having seen her before, called Bottle Shock that I recommend highly, though it starts slowly. Still not family viewing, but interesting history of the breakout of the Napa Valley Wines when they beat the French wines for the first time in a blind taste test and french judges. :lol::lol::mad::lol::o

Just got a Twitter Tweet from Splinterheads that the movie will be available for digital download on Itunes on April 1st.

I've posted a lot to this thread. I never did follow through on my threat to purchase the movie. We will blame this on my daughter's $250 Junior Prom dress. <_< I did however order it from Blockbuster.com, and it should arrive this weekend. As far as I can tell (could be just the Northeast US), I can't find it in any Blockbuster stores, and have to have them mail it to me.

They have a Facebook group for the movie too, and they are getting a lot of love there. There are indeed fans of this movie, and most of them appear to be Geocachers, from their comments.

wow, rented the movie on our home cable box office...so we really couldnot walk out cuz we were at home. kept watching in hopes it would get better. it was just downright bad. second worst movie i have ever seen in my 55 years of life to date. other than bad acting, bad story line and implausible situations, it was not generally funny, heartwarming or cute. i made sure i watche the entire thing just to be sure. I know some of you liked it.....I LOVE indy films most of the time...this one just plain terrible.

wow, rented the movie on our home cable box office...so we really couldnot walk out cuz we were at home. kept watching in hopes it would get better. it was just downright bad. second worst movie i have ever seen in my 55 years of life to date. other than bad acting, bad story line and implausible situations, it was not generally funny, heartwarming or cute. i made sure i watche the entire thing just to be sure. I know some of you liked it.....I LOVE indy films most of the time...this one just plain terrible.

C'mon now, the Splinterheads people are never going to come to this thread now! :P As I said a few posts ago, I did eventually rent it mail order from Blockbuster. I thought it was OK. I'm a juvenile locker room humor type of guy, so it didn't bother me. But I can see where many Geocachers say it isn't family friendly. It is indeed rated "R". It's very Napoleon Dynamitish, except that movie was rated "G" in case no one noticed. There's not a single swear word in Napoleon Dynamite; here we even have Leah Thompson dropping F bombs. :lol:

Even though I liked it, I also see where many of the professional reviews you can read on Rottentomatos.com say there are two many characters, and there's not enough time in a movie to fully develop that many characters. One of the reviews even said they could have pruned Geocaching from the movie, and it wouldn't have even mattered. ;)

My favorite character was The Amazing Steve (and his wife Wyoming). I suppose you could say they were developed more through a DVD extra deleted scene.

That worse? On IMDb someone even wrote: "Please go see this movie, it absolutely made my weekend."

I will have to find out if it's now available in french. Googling for it I even found a stream where I would have been able to watch the full movie but in english. Maybe later if I can't find it in french.

How many folks spotted the Delorean parked on Susan Frosts driveway when Justin pulls up at home towards the beginning of the film? It only appears briefly and looks to be a standard model, not the time travelling variety from Back to the Future :rolleyes:

Jon

well, Lea Thompson is in the movie. ;)

I thought the movie was nice, didn't even notice any "bad language". I guess it's a matter of geocachers sometimes being a bit older than the target audience and used to a society where people actually cared about bad language. Personally I'm more concerned about violence, drug use, rape, war, starvation, natural catastrophies and things like that than worrying about spoken words that do absolutely no harm to anyone, but maybe that's just me.

It's nice to see geocaching getting a role as central as that one, and it made it easy to connect with the character or Galaxy.

I purchased the movie new off of ebay last week for $9. I watched it last evening and it was worth the $9. Then again, I would assume myself to be square in the target demographic - late 20's, single, male w/ a mild geocaching addiction. I thought most of what was portrayed about geocaching was accurate with the exception of how far of her GPS was.

I still haven't seen this yet. Neither Redbox nor the closest Family Video have it.

I don't know where you are, but Family Video is really not that big or Nationwide. I still can't figure out how they call it Family Video with those little rooms they have in the back though. :laughing:

I said earlier in the thread that I got it from Blockbuster, but it had to be mailed to my house, and either mailed back, or taken back to the store.

I purchased the movie new off of ebay last week for $9. I watched it last evening and it was worth the $9. Then again, I would assume myself to be square in the target demographic - late 20's, single, male w/ a mild geocaching addiction. I thought most of what was portrayed about geocaching was accurate with the exception of how far of her GPS was.

You probably mean the point where she told him to go that way, and she'll go this way in an open field? And also the fact that she's supposed to be a traveling carnie, but she has a "vacation cache" placement in his town. Of course it's super easy to nitpick when you're an expert on the subject matter. I've been nitpicking thousands of inaccuracies in the representation of the military on the big screen over the last 25 years. :laughing:

I still haven't seen this yet. Neither Redbox nor the closest Family Video have it.

I don't know where you are, but Family Video is really not that big or Nationwide. I still can't figure out how they call it Family Video with those little rooms they have in the back though. :laughing:

I may just not be paying attention, but I haven't noticed those little rooms in the back in any of them lately. Two out of three of the Blockbusters in town have closed down, while the Family Videos seem to be doing well and new ones are popping up in much smaller towns around here. They seem to carry some obscure titles, so I thought there was a chance they'd have this. I'm interested enough to pay $1 at Redbox or just under $3 at Family Video. I don't know if I'm interested enough to sign up for an online rental service to see it.

I'm interested enough to pay $1 at Redbox or just under $3 at Family Video. I don't know if I'm interested enough to sign up for an online rental service to see it.

Doesn't Netflix give you the first 30 days free? You could sign up, see the film, and cancel your membership before you ever get billed.

Thanks to the splinterheads movie I learnt about Geocaching & have been hooked ever since & just bought a PM .

I am also in the target demographic so I really liked the movie but yes definitely not a family friendly movie.

best line " I flippity flipped that sh*t " :ph34r:

You probably mean the point where she told him to go that way, and she'll go this way in an open field? And also the fact that she's supposed to be a traveling carnie, but she has a "vacation cache" placement in his town. Of course it's super easy to nitpick when you're an expert on the subject matter. I've been nitpicking thousands of inaccuracies in the representation of the military on the big screen over the last 25 years. :)

The you go this way, I go that way isn't too unrealistic. People in groups get to GZ and then spread out to search different spots. "You check that tree over there, I'll check the rocks over this way", etc, etc.

I think the part about her GPS being off was from when she is searching for the underwater cache by the road. She's looking at her GPS like she's at GZ, but apparently she was still a bit of a hike away from the watering hole with the cache.

I just learned about the movie last week and got it on netflix asap, and watched it a couple nights ago. I'm in my late 20s, too, but I was still disappointed that there was so much vulgar language, bullying/violence and drug references...but overall I did still enjoy the movie. I do not think it's family friendly, but I still liked it for myself...mostly just cause there's geocaching in it though. :) That's just the way I am. I will probably get it, eventually...maybe.

Had a chance to watch it over the weekend, and it was exactly what I had expected after reading the posts in this forum. Luckily I found the stop button on my remote and only wasted 15 minutes on this garbage. I'm disappointed that geocaching.com would put their name in a movie with language they don't allow on their website.

I would say that the movie was desent for the first 30-45 min. Just when it should have gotten better, it got worrs. The whole angle of the oldest man in the world was realy lame. And the dude who is the most awkward teenager in the world (but wasn't a teenager) was lamo as well. The Geocaching part was the only decent part of the movie. Lets just say that it was a much better movie than "Easier with Practice", but not as good as "Zombieland"

Oh the crazy movies you get when using Torrent Damage...

Edited by Andronicus

From a film student standpoint, i think this film started out as a 10 min short.

and became too influenced by investors and friends.

As far as character development, it IS possible to take that many characters and develop in depth story lines about them, look at snatch for example. Its not so much that there were too many high profile characters, but rather that they were wasting their screen time with poor writing. Which i blame for the excessive use of colorful language. Actors suck at improv, and when told to do so, they just toss in curse words, when curse words are written into the story and the character, they can come across as great, look at Samuel Jackson.

I think the director or writer, or both, really loved geocaching, and wanted to incorporate it into this obscure awkward comedy, even though the movie really has nothing to do with geocaching, it just so happens its one of the quirky things the main actress enjoys doing, which leads me to believe the above, also by incorporating in geocaching the producers knew it would sell the movie at least to the geocaching community which has been paying dues, and fees, and all sorts of stuff to Groundspeak for how long now? 10 years? so theres a huge investor, and it worked. we all watched it one way or another, and most of us paid for it.

all in all the movie wasnt terrible, it had great potential, i just think a lot the language was unnessicary, and distracting, the characters were largely undeveloped, and the situations they were dumped into were so sporadic it took too long to figure out where the movie was taking the audiance, and people just do not have the patience to sit that long through it.

lets make a better movie about geocaching.

How many folks spotted the Delorean parked on Susan Frosts driveway when Justin pulls up at home towards the beginning of the film? It only appears briefly and looks to be a standard model, not the time travelling variety from Back to the Future :huh:

Jon

Noticed it. Neat!

Edited by AA9DY

From a film student standpoint, i think this film started out as a 10 min short.

As far as character development, it IS possible to take that many characters and develop in depth story lines about them, look at snatch for example. Its not so much that there were too many high profile characters, but rather that they were wasting their screen time with poor writing. Which i blame for the excessive use of colorful language. Actors suck at improv, and when told to do so, they just toss in curse words, when curse words are written into the story and the character, they can come across as great, look at Samuel Jackson.

I think the director or writer, or both, really loved geocaching, and wanted to incorporate it into this obscure awkward comedy, even though the movie really has nothing to do with geocaching, it just so happens its one of the quirky things the main actress enjoys doing, which leads me to believe the above, also by incorporating in geocaching the producers knew it would sell the movie at least to the geocaching community which has been paying dues, and fees, and all sorts of stuff to Groundspeak for how long now? 10 years? so theres a huge investor, and it worked. we all watched it one way or another, and most of us paid for it.

all in all the movie wasnt terrible, it had great potential, i just think a lot the language was unnessicary, and distracting, the characters were largely undeveloped, and the situations they were dumped into were so sporadic it took too long to figure out where the movie was taking the audiance, and people just do not have the patience to sit that long through it.

Wow, that's a great review ashnikes, and I agree with much of it!! Especially the part about the writer or director having been a Geocacher. But as far as marketing a movie to us on that basis, I believe we (geocachers) are still an extreme fringe element in the grand scheme of things, and there wasn't much of a "bump" to the movie there.

Wow, that's a great review ashnikes, and I agree with much of it!! Especially the part about the writer or director having been a Geocacher. But as far as marketing a movie to us on that basis, I believe we (geocachers) are still an extreme fringe element in the grand scheme of things, and there wasn't much of a "bump" to the movie there.

This doesn't happen often but I also agree with ashnikes. When someone is right... they are right.

hahahahahaa but you and I are friends, or so i thought,

and i dont alienate people, they were already categorized they just were not aware what catagory they were in until i informed them.

common sense or social sense? two very different things, i dont stick my hand on a hot stove thats common sense, i dont introduce my friends to other friends, thats poor common sense, because i dont really care to do so. i think its stupid.

course you do got me at the and... part. I admit it,

Edited by ashnikes

Finally saw this movie, I rented through Blockbuster's version of Netflix. It was OK though it did have a bunch of annoying characters. Certainly not the worst movie I've ever seen, by far!! Wasn't bothered by the language - I mean, that's how many people really talk!! Cool to see geocaching in a movie - I wonder if Rachael Taylor is into it in real life? I mean, there are tons of caches in Australia too!

I watched this movie when I first got into Geocaching. I seen the preview on the geocaching.com website, went over to netflix, seen that i could watch it then, so I did. What really bothered me was as she was explaining and walking to the cache, the camera pans down and shows them walking over two beer bottles in the woods. I think to myself, cool, they are going to pick them up and throw them away as part of CITO. I was wrong, they just stepped over them and left them there. I couldnt believe it. I didnt watch much pass that.

Word of advice, if you are going to pick up beer bottles/cans to throw away, make sure they are empty before you put them in a bag in your car. :unsure:

I think geocaching let the movie have language and cussing in it because teenagers are getting lazier by the minute.

When teenagers watch movies, they will sort of be hypnotized and get into whatever is in the movie.

The plot is tiring as we have seen it in other movies. Boy likes girl, some boys beat him up because of it.

Still, good movie and all.

~MidletonMorris

I think geocaching let the movie have language and cussing in it because teenagers are getting lazier by the minute.

When teenagers watch movies, they will sort of be hypnotized and get into whatever is in the movie.

The plot is tiring as we have seen it in other movies. Boy likes girl, some boys beat him up because of it.

Still, good movie and all.

~MidletonMorris

"Geocaching" didn't make the movie.