Which Garmin?

deborah762

Hi -

We are brand new to geocaching and are planning to purchase our first GPS device this week. We will be geocaching in the Minneapolis area and northern Minnesota.

We are considering the following:

- Venture HC Adventure Pack with Topo U.S. 2008 and case for $169 after rebate

- Venture HC from WalMart for $124

- Legend HcX from WalMart for $188

Questions we have:

- Are the Topo maps included in the Venture Adventure Pack any good? Worth the $45 for the package deal? Will we need to buy other maps?

- Will we need to buy maps to use with the Legend?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

The topo mapes are very useful but have some issues. They are 1:100k so there isn't a great deal of detail and roads are out of date in many areas because they use USGS maps, which are notoriously stale. Still, having the topo maps helps a lot. You see streams, hills, ravines, swamps, roads, dirt roads, etc. that you aren't going to see on the unit with just the base map.

One issue with the Venture HC is the 24 megs of fixed map memory. That should provide map coverage of most of your state, so if you If you don't travel a lot it can be sufficient. The Legend HCX has expandable map memory so you can load maps for most of the US to it given a capacious enough memory card.

The Legend HCX will also provide turn by turn driving directions with City Navigator software loaded to it. You don't have that option with the Venture HC.

Both units come with a base map, but it is virtually useless. The base map just shows major roads and highways. You don't need additional maps, but they do make your unit much more useful and they make geocaching a lot easier.

Hi. I started GeoCaching this month. I wanted to suggest a different garmin than you had listed. I did a lot of searching on which would be the best GPS for my needs and wanted one that I wouldn't say in 6 month or a year that maybe I should upgrade - So I spent a little more than I first thought I would and bought a Garmin 60Cx. On this Garmin it comes with it's own geocaching software and you can load thousands of Caches onto the garmin so that while you're out you don't have to have all the papers and you just look at the screen and see which ones are close by. Then you can choose one find it click found then go to the next nearest one. It's such a cool GPS and gets me so close to the cache. Accuracy is key.. I highly recomend it! *** also you can load free topo maps to it as well.. I did they dont have to be made by garmin on this one and thats really good because that saves you lots of money.. I don't know if you can on the others you have listed or not. so I can give you a site to go to where you can get the free maps.. I'll have to find it again.. ** Also read through this getting started forum. Lot of info on GPS's. Happy caching!!

Edited by ShawnHudson

Whichever Garmin you choose, I would suggest getting one with an "X" in the name. The "X" meaning expandable. Im dont know which part of the country you hail from but for instance I am in Minnesota. I have the Legend HCX. I can get a SD card from lakemaps specific for Minnesota. This card not only shows the major roads, but also shows county and township roads, parks and 2000 marked portages and campsites in the BWCA. SO in my opinion anything with the x is the way to go.

Whichever Garmin you choose, I would suggest getting one with an "X" in the name. The "X" meaning expandable. Im dont know which part of the country you hail from but for instance I am in Minnesota. I have the Legend HCX. I can get a SD card from lakemaps specific for Minnesota. This card not only shows the major roads, but also shows county and township roads, parks and 2000 marked portages and campsites in the BWCA. SO in my opinion anything with the x is the way to go.

This is true, an expandable SD card slot to me is a MUST have!

I started with a Nuvi260W, and while this has awesome street mapping it just wasnt cutting it as far as under canopy and accuracy. I recently purchased a 60CSX and this thing rocks. I am finding almost 100% of the ones I search for now. I agree with peeps above on the X models, get one with X so you can use expansion.

Free maps work great, I also purchased a couple of extra 2G cards and I now have a library of overlays.

Also wanted to add that I program both the Nuvi and 60 when first setting out. Nuvi gets me to 1st place and then I turn on 60CSX to make the grab. This has worked really well for me.

If you hide a cache use both to verify coords to and use 'avg' on 60CSX. My coords have been spot on now with this method.

happy hunting

Edited by tango501

+1 for expandability.

I loved my old Legend (still do - as a backup). However being limited to 8Mb of maps was a real bummer. On long trips I would have to lug a laptop and reload new map sets almost daily.

Having a 4Gb microSD with my new Oregon is great - full US routable road maps, USGS 24K topo for many states, room to spare.

try and find a 60cx much better i think, i had a legend hcx and most the time it would put me close but the 60cx now puts me on top of the cache. i got one on ebay for about 175.00 used and its worth every dime.

good luck and cache on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're planning to geocache just in the Minneapolis and northern Minnesota area, the Venture HC should have plenty of room for all the maps you'll need. I have the Venture HC and I just returned from a two-state car trip. I was able to store all the caches along the way, high res maps for every mile of the trip, and the internal tracks log memory was more than enough for both the trip there, and back. And the thing runs ALL DAY on a set of alkaline batteries.

Why buy more than you need? I see this all the time here - someone new to geocaching asks the veterans what GPSr they need for starting out, and invariably someone replies "Buy the Oregon" ($500 - $600) or "The 60CSX is a must-have". Then the person spends 4 or 5 times as much money than they really need to in order to get started, thinking they MUST have the SD card reader, or the paperless caching, or the cool touchscreen. In reality, you don't need all the bells and whistles to get started. The operative word here is "started". You can always sell the unit later and upgrade ...AFTER you decide what features YOU need for your particular style of geocaching, which is always slightly different than anyone else's style.

You don't need a card reader to get started.

You don't need a separate electronic altimeter to get started.

You don't need a separate electronic compass to get started.

You don't need paperless caching, or a touchscreen to get started.

Keep it simple at first or you'll be overwhelmed, and broke :o

If you're planning to geocache just in the Minneapolis and northern Minnesota area, the Venture HC should have plenty of room for all the maps you'll need. I have the Venture HC and I just returned from a two-state car trip. I was able to store all the caches along the way, high res maps for every mile of the trip, and the internal tracks log memory was more than enough for both the trip there, and back. And the thing runs ALL DAY on a set of alkaline batteries.

Why buy more than you need? I see this all the time here - someone new to geocaching asks the veterans what GPSr they need for starting out, and invariably someone replies "Buy the Oregon" ($500 - $600) or "The 60CSX is a must-have". Then the person spends 4 or 5 times as much money than they really need to in order to get started, thinking they MUST have the SD card reader, or the paperless caching, or the cool touchscreen. In reality, you don't need all the bells and whistles to get started. The operative word here is "started". You can always sell the unit later and upgrade ...AFTER you decide what features YOU need for your particular style of geocaching, which is always slightly different than anyone else's style.

You don't need a card reader to get started.

You don't need a separate electronic altimeter to get started.

You don't need a separate electronic compass to get started.

You don't need paperless caching, or a touchscreen to get started.

Keep it simple at first or you'll be overwhelmed, and broke :o

In truth, it's quite the opposite...I see people being told to buy the dummied down cheap GPS and then the purchaser finds they really like caching and inevitably need to upgrade to the more expensive GPS which does all the cool things they see their friends being able to do. Upgrading is ALMOST ALWAYS more expensive than buying the good unit in the first place, and you can always sell the good unit for a nice price should caching turn out not to be your thing (whereas, the cheapo doesn't have any type of resale value to speak of).

I would second the PN-20 OR go a step up and buy the PN-40. If you're not going to use it for routing (driving directions), the PN-20 would be GREAT for you...paperless caching, routing (although not very good), maps included and the ability to add more maps via subscription ($30/year...a GREAT deal)...all for the same price or even cheaper than the Garmins you have listed. Customer service is GREAT with the PN series (DeLorme), accuracy is great, easy to use for beginners (send to GPS right off the cache page) and expandable and has advanced features you can learn at your own pace!

I have had a Garim Zumo that I use mostly on the motorcycle but also car the last few years.

I just recently got my first handheld GPSr for hiking and Geocaching. I almost went with the Oregon but avoided it because like the Delorme PN-40 it has some issues that need to be resolved.

I say all this to get you to consider the Garmin 60CSx if there is any way your budget will allow. Although I have only 5 found caches (I just started) I did much research before deciding on the 60CSx, I did not want to buy the wrong one. I have used it hiking and Geocaching and could not be more happy with it. I can get the eastern half of the U.S. Topo on one 2GB mini SD card and the western U.S. Topo maps on another. Also it has a bright screen, long battery life, etc. It seems to be the GPSr of choice for most experts. Do some research there are lots of informative reviews out there. I think its worth it to spend a bit more now if you can swing it and get a keeper. If you do decide on the 60CSx be sure to get the Garmin carry case with it. Its a perfect fit and protects the screen. It comes with a very detailed owners manual and is very easy to learn.

Steve

I would second the PN-20 OR go a step up and buy the PN-40. If you're not going to use it for routing (driving directions), the PN-20 would be GREAT for you...paperless caching, routing (although not very good), maps included and the ability to add more maps via subscription ($30/year...a GREAT deal)...all for the same price or even cheaper than the Garmins you have listed. Customer service is GREAT with the PN series (DeLorme), accuracy is great, easy to use for beginners (send to GPS right off the cache page) and expandable and has advanced features you can learn at your own pace!

The PN40 is a good unit but not one I would recommend to a beginner. I'm a long time GPS user and spent most of my career in technology and I found it frustrating to use in the beginning. Someone who is totally new to GPS is unlikely to master it quickly, particularly when it comes to loading the more advanced maps.

The PN40 is a good unit but not one I would recommend to a beginner. I'm a long time GPS user and spent most of my career in technology and I found it frustrating to use in the beginning. Someone who is totally new to GPS is unlikely to master it quickly, particularly when it comes to loading the more advanced maps.

I wonder, what was difficult for you to do? Was it the "basic" stuff like loading a cache or finding a cache or was it more advanced stuff a beginner wouldn't even know about, let alone use? I am a user of a few GPS units and found the PN series quite simle to use and still am learning the more advanced features (one day, I'll learn how to upload tracks etc).

I wonder, what was difficult for you to do? Was it the "basic" stuff like loading a cache or finding a cache or was it more advanced stuff a beginner wouldn't even know about, let alone use? I am a user of a few GPS units and found the PN series quite simle to use and still am learning the more advanced features (one day, I'll learn how to upload tracks etc).

The Topo 7 software is not very intuitive. I've never had to crack open a manual for any other mapping software, NG Topo, Mapsource, Mapsend, Oziexplorer or anything else I've tried. I just loaded it and figured the basics out in a matter of minutes and the more advanced stuff in one sitting. I had to put several full days into Topo 7 to get it to do what I wanted it to do and even when things worked I wasn't quite sure what I did to make them work.

And the loading and reloading of the detailed maps and sat photos is painfully slooooooooow, taking many hours and that stunk because I had two lemon units and had to do it three times. I probably put in a full week getting my PN40 going. I figured out how to set up my Magellan in about 30 minutes and probably less than that with my Garmin.

The Topo 7 software is not very intuitive. I've never had to crack open a manual for any other mapping software, NG Topo, Mapsource, Mapsend, Oziexplorer or anything else I've tried. I just loaded it and figured the basics out in a matter of minutes and the more advanced stuff in one sitting. I had to put several full days into Topo 7 to get it to do what I wanted it to do and even when things worked I wasn't quite sure what I did to make them work.

And the loading and reloading of the detailed maps and sat photos is painfully slooooooooow, taking many hours and that stunk because I had two lemon units and had to do it three times. I probably put in a full week getting my PN40 going. I figured out how to set up my Magellan in about 30 minutes and probably less than that with my Garmin.

OK, TOPO 7 IS a bit "tricky" to use, but it isn't even needed for basic or even some of the more advanced features of the PN series such as auto-routing, paperless caching, loading and finding caches etc. In other words, your problems aren't with the unit itself, but the software which is included so you can do more advanced procedures.

I stand by my account that the PN series is SIMPLE to use right out of the box! It will do everything I stated without even a need for the TOPO 7 software AND, TOPO 8 is now out making most of the tricky procedures easier!

I respect your comments, but I find fault with the user if you cannot figure out how to load the maps since there is a step-by-step instructional post in the DeLorme forums making this so easy even I could do it without much of a problem (and I'm NOT techy one bit). ANYONE who can read and follow instructions can master the loading of maps fairly quickly, I am proof of this!

Also, stating it took a full week to get it going is misleading since you had problem units. Just for the record, I was out caching with my unit in about 30 minutes, but the cache I tested the unit on was MIA! It took me some playing around to figure out some of the features such as the paperless caching, but that's no biggie since I was playing with the unit to begin with (I like to thoroughly test new toys out...playing with them and just exploring their features).

I would also like to point out that Briansnat's statements DO NOT concern the included maps which come on pre-cut discs and are simple to install on the unit. Just select the states and go! What Brian is talking about are the maps which can be subscribed to for $30/year...aerial imagery, hi-res city imagery, NOAA charts etc.

The maps which come with your purchase are ALL you need to use the PN series...this includes auto-routing!

I respect your comments, but I find fault with the user if you cannot figure out how to load the maps since there is a step-by-step instructional post in the DeLorme forums making this so easy even I could do it without much of a problem (and I'm NOT techy one bit). ANYONE who can read and follow instructions can master the loading of maps fairly quickly, I am proof of this!

i

Which proves my point. It's not intuitive, you need to go somewhere for help. Besides its the advanced mapping features that make the PN40 attractive. If you don't need the advanced mapping features the Garmin units do the basics so much better.

Edited by briansnat

i

Which proves my point. It's not intuitive, you need to go somewhere for help. Besides its the advanced mapping features that make the PN40 attractive. If you don't need the advanced mapping features the Garmin units do the basics so much better.

That's simply opinion. It's also your opinion that the maps are THE selling point for the PN series...can the Garmins do completely paperless caching? Also, the maps ARE bonus, as in not needed...BUT, for the same price or less than the Garmins, you get the bonuses with the PN series. Can you get those with the Garmins??

Your point is more like DeLorme doesn't write out their user instructions clearly, not that the unit is difficult to use. THANKFULLY, others are happy to help and have. While it is sad you'd need to go elsewhere (to the DeLorme forums) for the instructions, ignoring they are there isn't the fault of the unit!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
our point is more like DeLorme doesn't write out their user instructions clearly, not that the unit is difficult to use.

No, my point is that the Topo software is not intuitive. You just can't sit down, fire it and go. There is a steep learning curve. DeLorme has pretty comprehensive and robust technical forums for a good reason. The users need them.

Edited by briansnat
our point is more like DeLorme doesn't write out their user instructions clearly, not that the unit is difficult to use.

No, my point is that the Topo software is not intuitive. You just can't sit down, fire it and go. There is a steep learning curve. DeLorme has pretty comprehensive and robust technical forums for a good reason. The users need them.

I'm sorry Brian, but I can and have downloaded maps over and over...and only needed to read the step-by-step once (maybe twice, but...). Keep in mind, I am NOT techy whatsoever and I have stated this numerous times in several of these threads...but I can figure out how to do what I want it to do and I would guess most anyone else can do this as well. Is it tricky? I never said it was simplicity in a box, but it truly isn't as hard to figure out as many want to have one believe!

Of course, I haven't tried using TOPO 7 much except for the maps, but I'm not scared to try it!

Hi -

We are brand new to geocaching and are planning to purchase our first GPS device this week. We will be geocaching in the Minneapolis area and northern Minnesota.

We are considering the following:

- Venture HC Adventure Pack with Topo U.S. 2008 and case for $169 after rebate

- Venture HC from WalMart for $124

- Legend HcX from WalMart for $188

Questions we have:

- Are the Topo maps included in the Venture Adventure Pack any good? Worth the $45 for the package deal? Will we need to buy other maps?

- Will we need to buy maps to use with the Legend?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

Of the three units listed I would recommend the Legend HCx. You can get a nice 24K TOPO map for your area here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/153/

Back to the original question - I have been caching for almost a year (btw I am in MN too- the cities) - I started with the Garmin VISTA HCx. It didn't take me too long to get used to it - then I learned how to use a GSAK macro to allow me to go paperless. TOPOs are great, only if you have used them before, other than knowing how to spell the word, I had no clue what it was. You guys make it sound so easy. It is great to say the forum has instructions, personally I would prefer to be hunting caches than hanging online reading directions :anibad:

I will admit that I do pay attention to the topos now.

I just recently got an Oregon 400t. I have to admit (and I know folks are going to disagree) I am glad I started with the VISTA first.

Good Luck and Happy Caching!!

Back to the original question - I have been caching for almost a year (btw I am in MN too- the cities) - I started with the Garmin VISTA HCx. It didn't take me too long to get used to it - then I learned how to use a GSAK macro to allow me to go paperless. TOPOs are great, only if you have used them before, other than knowing how to spell the word, I had no clue what it was. You guys make it sound so easy. It is great to say the forum has instructions, personally I would prefer to be hunting caches than hanging online reading directions :laughing:

I just recently got an Oregon 400t. I have to admit (and I know folks are going to disagree) I am glad I started with the VISTA first.

Ummmm, it IS simple. The only thing remotely difficult is the ADVANCED stuff which isn't needed for "hunting caches". The TOPO maps come on pre-cut discs, you simply choose the maps you wish to load and they are loaded, no muss, no fuss.

You say paperless with your Vista...you haven't got paperless in the true form. You get snippets of info unlike the PN series or your new OR which loads the entire cache description as well as hints and previous logs (but you knew that). You cannot upload your finds via field notes which is MUCH simpler than any other form of logging a cache (the old way...write down the caches you find, find the caches in the GC website and then log them. New way...upload field notes which keeps track of all finds in order and keeps them there ready to log when you are. No searching for the cache pages, you simply click the field note, add comments and log). Let me ask (and this proves my point made earlier), why did you feel the need to upgrade if you had all you needed in the Vista?

I realize the question was about Garmins, many don't even realize there are other brands which work as well or even better than the Garmins mentioned, and for the same or lesser price (the PN-20 runs about $130, the PN-40 is about $265)...and most Garmin users are brand loyal and won't even mention the other brands save to downplay their usefullness.

I personally don't care what the OP or anyone else buys, I merely want to give everyone all the info regarding GPS units which would fit their needs...which is what I am doing! Sometimes a Garmin is in order, sometimes other units fit just as nicely or better (as in this case, there are better units than the old tech Garmins listed). In the end, the buyer should be happy with their purchase!

Back to the original question - I have been caching for almost a year (btw I am in MN too- the cities) - I started with the Garmin VISTA HCx. It didn't take me too long to get used to it - then I learned how to use a GSAK macro to allow me to go paperless. TOPOs are great, only if you have used them before, other than knowing how to spell the word, I had no clue what it was. You guys make it sound so easy. It is great to say the forum has instructions, personally I would prefer to be hunting caches than hanging online reading directions :laughing:

TOPO's are pretty handy. Glad to see that you have learned how to take advantage of them.

Briansnat and Rockin Roddy, might I graciously propose that you take your individual conversation about the pros and cons of a single unit offline? I hardly think this particular discourse will help a person decide on the purchase of an individual unit.

It's kind of like walking in to a Star Trek convention and asking which collection of DVDs I should purchase to get the best enjoyment, and having trekkies (not trekkers) go off to a tangent about how Data was a much better outside observer of the human condition than Spock. :laughing:

Briansnat and Rockin Roddy, might I graciously propose that you take your individual conversation about the pros and cons of a single unit offline? I hardly think this particular discourse will help a person decide on the purchase of an individual unit.

It's kind of like walking in to a Star Trek convention and asking which collection of DVDs I should purchase to get the best enjoyment, and having trekkies (not trekkers) go off to a tangent about how Data was a much better outside observer of the human condition than Spock. :laughing:

Wow, sure thing...but I do think getting all the info about any unit fitting the OPs needs IS helpful. And while it might seem our conversation is more a personal one, it's sharing info of ease of use and features, something I'm sure most new buyers wouldn't mind hearing. But, your sandpit! B)