Trip to Michigan

DaisyChain

Hi,

FBS67, Ms. Anne and I are planning a summer trip to Michigan. We have a few goals but need some advice on accomplishing them as well as some good caches to find. Our main goal besides going to Mackinac Island is to do the Oldest cache in MI and hopefully the CAA MI.

1. Can anyone tell me where we can rent a canoe to go to Power Island?

2. Any special caches not to miss on Mackinac?

3. We'd like to go over to Canada, any favorites there to do?

Thanks for your help.

DaisyChain

To answer your questions:

1) There are a few boat rental places at Bowers Harbor, which pretty much has the shortest distance between the mainland and Power Island. Granted, it's been a few years since I've been up that way.

2) As of today (22-May-09) there are 84 caches on Mackinac Island. I'm actually making a trip this summer to try to hit all 84, so unfortunately I can't really recommend any.

3) Depending on where in Canada you're going, there are a bunch to do. If you're going down to Windsor, there are a lot along the river front, but also near Devonshire Mall. I recommend the ones in Jackson Park (Oulette Ave & Tecumseh Rd)

Enjoy your trip up north!

:laughing: -The Zachalope

If you are passing through the Grand Rapids area on your way, any of the Two Happy Hikers multi caches would be worth making a stop. I've done three; they have several more that I haven't tried yet. The three I've found have been astonishingly well done.

You might also drop a line to beangeek, my brother, who is stationed in the coast guard in St. Ignace. He's been doing some caching since he moved up there this year.

ayryq

If you are passing through the Grand Rapids area on your way, any of the Two Happy Hikers multi caches would be worth making a stop. I've done three; they have several more that I haven't tried yet. The three I've found have been astonishingly well done.

You might also drop a line to beangeek, my brother, who is stationed in the coast guard in St. Ignace. He's been doing some caching since he moved up there this year.

ayryq

I will add my vote for the Two Happy Hikers multis. Each cache is unique, unusual, and fun.

Since you're already planning on working your way from South Michigan to the north, you should also look at the CSI series (The final, which has links to the entire series). They're all in great locations and well done.

Just south of the bridge up there is a cache called "Bald Is Beautiful." Not too sure if it's still active, but, it was a great cache. Beautiful view, and the owner often takes his kids there and fills the cache with home-made magnets that are VERY cool!

:D Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I'll add all of the recommendations to our list. I'm getting very excited. Friends of ours were telling us how much fun they had on Mackinac. They said they rented bikes. We were just planning to bring our own and pay the ferry fee. But our bikes aren't anything special so we may just rent them there. Depending on the price.

:D Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I'll add all of the recommendations to our list. I'm getting very excited. Friends of ours were telling us how much fun they had on Mackinac. They said they rented bikes. We were just planning to bring our own and pay the ferry fee. But our bikes aren't anything special so we may just rent them there. Depending on the price.

We always take our own bikes over.

The ferry fee is $8.00 per bike

Here is one bike rental places fee's (I'm sure others would be the same)

single speed hourly- $5 Daily- $25

3 speed hourly- $6 Daily- $30

Tandem hourly- $8 Daily- $40

Mountain Bike hourly- $8 Daily- $40

If you are going to be trying for a lot of caches you are gonna be out there at least half a day, the whole day is more likely...maybe even 2 days!

If you are going to be trying for a lot of caches you are gonna be out there at least half a day, the whole day is more likely...maybe even 2 days!

We just bought new bikes (much needed) as we decided the Ferry fee was cheaper than the rentals. This way we'll know we'll be comfortable on the bikes. Our plans are to spend two days biking on the Island. Also debating Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, and Bear Dunes. Poor Ms. Anne will think returning back to work is a holiday when I get through dragging her all over the state of Michigan. :o