Adding to the Environment?

From the guidelines:

Off limits ... Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method

If you are aware of a violation you should report it to the reviewer.

These may have been placed by rescue personel, I will check.

From the guidelines:

Off limits ... Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method

This one makes me scratch my head on the private property part. If I own the land and want to construct a castle with a moat for the purpose of hiding my cache - Why can't I if own the land.

From the guidelines:
This one makes me scratch my head on the private property part. If I own the land and want to construct a castle with a moat for the purpose of hiding my cache - Why can't I if own the land.

Yes, you can. You have to work with the reviewer (if you have a reviewer with which you can work) and you can get just about anything usually forbidden in this respect published. I know of at least one buried cache that got published because it was on his land.

More iffy is when your friend or family owns the land. Even more iffy is when you get full permission from a land steward.

From the guidelines:

You can get away with a lot more if its your property, that is why they are guidelines and not firm rules.

The reviewer try may however to discourage it. There is a lot of monkey see, monkey do in geocaching and people are likely to try to building that moat and castle in a state park if they liked yours.

From the guidelines:

You can get away with a lot more if its your property, that is why they are guidelines and not firm rules.

The reviewer try may however to discourage it. There is a lot of monkey see, monkey do in geocaching and people are likely to try to building that moat and castle in a state park if they liked yours.

Thanks - now I need to rent a bull dozer :)

Do you go around driving anchors in rock? Is this the way people should view cachers?

My philosophy has always been, "If you can't put put it back in original order in a reasonable amount of time, don't do it." There are minor caveats, but that's pretty much how it should work. When you archive a cache, those who come after should have a very hard time knowing you were even there.

Cachers will take advantage of existing modifications. It can then appear that they made them.

I've seen park personnel make modifications to accommodate existing caches, too. A friend of mine had bison tubes in cracks in old fence posts at the north and south ends of trail. When the trail head parking areas were re-fenced, the park people drilled 5/8" holes in their new lumber to accept the caches.

At a different park system, park workers did exactly the same thing for a cache of mine. Drilling and cutting their own new 4x pressure treated lumber to create a hidey hole for my cache.

Cachers will take advantage of existing modifications. It can then appear that they made them.

I've seen park personnel make modifications to accommodate existing caches, too. A friend of mine had bison tubes in cracks in old fence posts at the north and south ends of trail. When the trail head parking areas were re-fenced, the park people drilled 5/8" holes in their new lumber to accept the caches.

At a different park system, park workers did exactly the same thing for a cache of mine. Drilling and cutting their own new 4x pressure treated lumber to create a hidey hole for my cache.

OMG, that's too funny!!! If we tried to do that, we'd be sooooo bashed with "it sets a precidence. used a pointy tool. land managers would freak out", etc. Which, unfortunately, they probably would... if they hadn't done it themselves.

I came by to check my cache, I was thinking of archiving it (I don't get that way much anymore).

When I saw what they'd done, I removed the hide and archived the listing. Too weird to have people think I'm wandering around with battery operated saws and drills making cache holes!

traffic_cone.gif Archive Isonzo Karst archived You're Here (Traditional Cache)

I was pleasantly surprised that the county workers, having replaced the host object, carefully saved the cache and put it back in the new host.

I took it out anyway, and am archiving this listing, thanks to all who visited.

I came by to check my cache, I was thinking of archiving it (I don't get that way much anymore).

When I saw what they'd done, I removed the hide and archived the listing. Too weird to have people think I'm wandering around with battery operated saws and drills making cache holes!

I was pleasantly surprised that the county workers, having replaced the host object, carefully saved the cache and put it back in the new host.

You don't think that wouldn't feel like a slap in the face to those workers? I know if I had taken the time to do that and you pulled it anyway, I'd be a little miffed. I"d be thinking "why did I bother?"

I know the workers in at least one of the park systems we've hidden caches take a bit of pride in caring for the caches. When doing grounds maintenance, they'll carefully set it aside, do what they need to do and return the cache. Heck, I have more problems with other cachers not putting the cache back than I do the groundskeepers.

You don't think that wouldn't feel like a slap in the face to those workers? I know if I had taken the time to do that and you pulled it anyway, I'd be a little miffed. I"d be thinking "why did I bother?"

I know the workers in at least one of the park systems we've hidden caches take a bit of pride in caring for the caches. When doing grounds maintenance, they'll carefully set it aside, do what they need to do and return the cache. Heck, I have more problems with other cachers not putting the cache back than I do the groundskeepers.

Double edged blade. Leave the cache and deal with other cachers pointing out that you drilled a hole to hide it even though you didn't, or archive it and unintentionally insult the workers who went to the trouble of giving the cache a good home.

Double edged blade. Leave the cache and deal with other cachers pointing out that you drilled a hole to hide it even though you didn't, or archive it and unintentionally insult the workers who went to the trouble of giving the cache a good home.

...or add "Hidden in cooperation with groundstaff. Do not duplicate."

See, the folks that really allow this hobby to happen are the folks who allow us to hide our game pieces on their property. I'm much more inclined to try to keep them happy than any one else.

Well done.

I didn't think of amending the cache page with "Hidden in cooperation with groundstaff. Do not duplicate."

a nice idea.

As it happens, the cache was on my "to archive" list, which is why I was there.

Deciding to go ahead and archive it was pretty easy.

I get out that way from time to time, I can thank staff.

I want to ask some questions about the new historical marker in any case, it presents a new hide opportunity, but only if they want people on the user trail that has arisen.

I was thinking of hiding a cach by drilling a hole into a downed tree

would that be bad?

it is already dead

the most I'm doing is accelerating decomposition

I'm pretty sure something like that is frowned upon.

That said, I don't see a problem with modifying a "natural object" from your property, purchased at a home center, landscaping store, etc. and then placing somewhere as a disguise for a cache. I believe it's when you're irreversibly changing the area where the cache is located that's considered a no-no.