Anyone seen a case for Oregon with clear window?

Santa Barbara, California based Foarm makes a case for the Colorado and a few other GPS receivers. They were working on a case for the Oregon although I don't know if it's been completed.

You could call Jeff Krause,

Sr Designer

(805) 962-5553 ext 112

Here's what the Colorado case looks like: http://www.gpsfix.net/foarm-cases-for-colo...nd-oregon-soon/

Edited by Low Bat

I called Foarm a few months ago to ask some questions about the CO and upcoming OR cases but my calls were never returned. I notice the CO case has been out of stock on Amazon for quite a while now.

I've never seen a case for the OR with a clear window -- probably because of the issues with getting to work well with a touch screen.

Most people seem pretty happy with an InvisibleShield even though it makes the screen a little "tacky". The one I have installed on my Oregon saved my screen from a major ding a few days ago. The shield had an obvious mark on it but the screen worked fine and had no signs of damage. Even better the mark on the screen was gone the next day.

I called Foarm a few months ago to ask some questions about the CO and upcoming OR cases but my calls were never returned. I notice the CO case has been out of stock on Amazon for quite a while now.

I've never seen a case for the OR with a clear window -- probably because of the issues with getting to work well with a touch screen.

Most people seem pretty happy with an InvisibleShield even though it makes the screen a little "tacky". The one I have installed on my Oregon saved my screen from a major ding a few days ago. The shield had an obvious mark on it but the screen worked fine and had no signs of damage. Even better the mark on the screen was gone the next day.

WFIW: I would have never promoted a screen protector until recently. After a few outings with the Oregon I noted that scrolling in the cache descriptions pages required sliding my finger on the screen (no scroll up/down buttons on this particular screen - submitted a request). With the matte finish on the Oregon's screen I could see developing an annoying glossing of the matte finish (and of course scratches).

I got an Invisible Shield and while it is indeed tacky, it's protection gives you peace of mind. I don't worry about not having a case now. I just clip it on, or slide it into an appropriate pocket on my waist pack and off I go.

I don't see how any case would be accessible for control of the touch screen without having to 'peel back' the see through portion which would get really annoying. Get a Zagg Invisible Shield and you'll probably feel fine.

HINT: Since the IS is a bit tacky, I use the calloused edge of a finger or a soft press of a finger nail. It won't damage the IS and makes scrolling the map or the cache description pages a breeze.

I've also found that a fingernail works very well with the IS installed.

And just to echo what andynshe suspects, you will scratch the touch screen. My first unit returned after 3-4 months w/o any type of screen protector had a lot of vertical scratches (from page scrolling, probably with dirt on my fingers/gloves)

I've also found that a fingernail works very well with the IS installed.

And just to echo what andynshe suspects, you will scratch the touch screen. My first unit returned after 3-4 months w/o any type of screen protector had a lot of vertical scratches (from page scrolling, probably with dirt on my fingers/gloves)

Hey - how'd you get your fingers dirty? You been out Geocaching reaching under dirty rock ledges, spider infested hollow tree trunks and unnatural piles of rocks? :(

I once put the "shield" on a 60CSx and didn't like the look of it. Much happier without it, and my current Oregon shows no signs of scratches on the screen.

One thing that really protects the unit when I'm not holding it is my Ripoffs CO-IQ case. Unlike the supplied carabiner clip which is just asking for cosmetic damage, the padded nylon case with a velcro flap allows me to hike pretty much worry free.

Edited by Low Bat

I have used the Foarm cases, and while they are a good idea, all you do to close the shell over the GPS is cinch a string, and then you have this long loop left that is supposed to go around your neck. I don't place my GPS around my neck and find the extra string very annoying. I like the Gilsson cases, but they haven't come out with anything new in a while. I heard they were supposed to come up with a Co case, but that never happened. for now I too use the IS and and very happy with it on my CO and OR.

Foarm CO case available from Amazon: LINK

I have been using the Invisishield screen protectors for a while and they do work extremely well for protecting the screen for scratches.

But not so good from impacts, as i found out recently :lol:

A 3' Drop onto earth that was damp but slightly stony, the result was a lovely shattered pattern from the impact with a small pointy stone. ;)

Dont get me wrong there was not a scratch on the protector.

I was just looking at Oregon accessories on Garmin's site and noticed this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36242

cf-lg.jpg

Not sure how well the touchscreen would work through the plastic though. Anyone using one?

I just bought one, and the touch screen works very well (not as well as it does without the case, but functional). I decided to go with the case after trying out screen protectors which seem to make the Oregon screen even harder to read.

OldA'sFan

I just bought one, and the touch screen works very well (not as well as it does without the case, but functional). I decided to go with the case after trying out screen protectors which seem to make the Oregon screen even harder to read.

Thanks for the info. You confirmed my fear about IS as well - I have it on my Nuvi, and it made the screen more reflective and harder to read. It also took a long time for the tacky surface to become smoother so that I could slide my finger on it as I used to.