Reselling Pocket Queries?

Darn, I'm tempted to buy it just to make him get me all 18,000 caches within 100 miles of me. That would keep him busy for more than a week.

For reals, I'm still trying to figure out how to get all the small, reg, and large traditional caches within 50 miles of my home, and I haven't figured out how to get them all!

For reals, I'm still trying to figure out how to get all the small, reg, and large traditional caches within 50 miles of my home, and I haven't figured out how to get them all!

A good source of information is Markwell's FAQ on pocket queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

At the bottom it shows one way of doing that. Basically, you use the "date placed".

So create a pocket query for 50 miles from your home location, small, regular and large traditional caches.

If it exceeds 500, what you need to do is figure out a date range where that number is a bit under 500 (450 is good - allows some room for unarchived caches).

So, if for example, you found out that 1-1-2000 to 1-1-2006 gives you 454 caches, you'll next create a range from 1-2-2006 through whatever date gives you almost 500 caches.

I use 4 such queries to cover a 15 mile radius from my home location.

Darn, I'm tempted to buy it just to make him get me all 18,000 caches within 100 miles of me. That would keep him busy for more than a week.

Buy a Geomate.jr, it comes with 250,000 of them pre-loaded. I expect we'll see that whopper PQ file for sale online soon... but for $69 you can get it legally from Groundspeak.

Unless you're a Premium Member, then you can only get 500 at a time! :huh::anitongue:

Perhaps TPTB would like to purchase the PQ and see if they can id the account it originated from?

Maybe TPTB are the ones selling the PQs to try to ID who would buy it from them :) (Edit : oops, 9key beat me to it..)

Which reminds me. Anyone seen Vinny around lately? I miss his delusions...

Edited by Chrysalides

A good source of information is Markwell's FAQ on pocket queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

At the bottom it shows one way of doing that. Basically, you use the "date placed".

So create a pocket query for 50 miles from your home location, small, regular and large traditional caches.

If it exceeds 500, what you need to do is figure out a date range where that number is a bit under 500 (450 is good - allows some room for unarchived caches).

So, if for example, you found out that 1-1-2000 to 1-1-2006 gives you 454 caches, you'll next create a range from 1-2-2006 through whatever date gives you almost 500 caches.

I use 4 such queries to cover a 15 mile radius from my home location.

Awesome, thanks for the link and tip, never thought of using the date thing! I've been trying to do a querie for eache level of difficulty, but that hasn't worked, just too many caches.

He got his knickers in a pretty tight bunch over the ALR thing, maybe he has decided to take a rest. But then maybe he is just busy or the radon finally got to him.

Jim

Just for the record:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/agreement.aspx

Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement to any third party whatsoever.

No ambiguity whatsoever.

This is what AZcachemeister should have done instead of slapping around insults to the OP.

This is what AZcachemeister should have done instead of slapping around insults to the OP.

eh.. Just for the record, I am the OP. I wasn't insulted. I knew I was making an understatement and I thought AZ's reply was pretty funny!

-Gryffyth

Perhaps TPTB would like to purchase the PQ and see if they can id the account it originated from?

If the seller is remotely smart they will be waiting to upgrade a sock to PM to pull the queries. I presume that Bryan will call eBay on Monday and ask them to pull this and any future similar listings.

In any case the seller is going to get themselves into trouble with customers over that "all caches within 100 miles" thing. In many locations that would put a serious dent in the 35 PQs you can run in a week, and it would produce an e-mail attachment of a size that would be undeliverable to a large number of systems.

Maybe TPTB are the ones selling the PQs to try to ID who would buy it from them :) (Edit : oops, 9key beat me to it..)

Yeah, 9key went one way so I went the other. Meh, no biggy either way.

If the seller is remotely smart they will be waiting to upgrade a sock to PM to pull the queries. I presume that Bryan will call eBay on Monday and ask them to pull this and any future similar listings.

In any case the seller is going to get themselves into trouble with customers over that "all caches within 100 miles" thing. In many locations that would put a serious dent in the 35 PQs you can run in a week, and it would produce an e-mail attachment of a size that would be undeliverable to a large number of systems.

The 100 mile thing makes me doubt the sock puppet scenario. The whole remotely smart thing is in question. You have to know that GS will hear about this.

It could still be GS selling via a new venue. It sounds a bit of the wall for them but, well stranger things have happened.

eh.. Just for the record, I am the OP. I wasn't insulted. I knew I was making an understatement and I thought AZ's reply was pretty funny!

-Gryffyth

Thank-you!

That was my intent.

Ok, cache on. You never know in these forums.. :)

I don't want all caches within 100 miles. I've already found thousands of them, there are over 100 in the lakes that I cannot get to without a boat, and by the time I get around to going for some of the ones that are between 50-100 miles out, there will be new ones placed in those areas that won't be in these purchased PQ's. Stupid idea.

If the number of caches is larger than 500 in that 100 miles, Break up the query into multiple ones.

for instance creae one for just the small caches, then another for the regular, and then 1 for the large ones.

Another often used is split up the caches so under 500 fall within a specific date range for when they were placed. For instance all caches placed between 1/1/2000 and 1/1/2004, a second query for 12/31/2003 and 1/1/2008, and finally one for 12/31/2007 till 1/1/2010 (to get all current ones).

Dont for get to check on the # of caches at the top before setting a day for these to run so you dont waste your limited runs on queries that give you too many or dont give you what you want to see.

This method of breaking up the caches of course will vary by the total number and how you split them.

If you have 2500 in your area then you will need at least 5 and maybe 6 splits (maybe spliting each size query into 2 or 3 that split by date placed as well.).

It's a moot point since this listing will never survive, but " will contain up to 500 of the caches wthin 100 miles of the ZIP CODE" is just going to give you a simple PQ with the nearest 500 caches.

I wonder what the seller thought. "A brilliant way to make some easy money"?

It's a moot point since this listing will never survive, but " will contain up to 500 of the caches wthin 100 miles of the ZIP CODE" is just going to give you a simple PQ with the nearest 500 caches.

My theories, not that anyone cares:

1) Someone who thinks there is some sort of hypocrisy with the new $60 GPS that comes pre-loaded with caches that you don't need to be a premium member for.

2) Someone well connected with the Groundspeak Lackeys, who thought it would be a funny joke.

3) Someone really clueless, who really thinks they could sell pocket queries, and get away with it.

My theories, not that anyone cares:

1) Someone who thinks there is some sort of hypocrisy with the new $60 GPS that comes pre-loaded with caches that you don't need to be a premium member for.

2) Someone well connected with the Groundspeak Lackeys, who thought it would be a funny joke.

3) Someone really clueless, who really thinks they could sell pocket queries, and get away with it.

Having been around EBay for a while, I'm betting on #3.

I presume that Bryan will call eBay on Monday and ask them to pull this and any future similar listings.
I don't know. A savvy seller might have already thought of that. Nowhere does it say that the caches come from Groundspeak. It could come from another source and he's hoping you're gonna think you're getting them from Groundspeak. Could be you'll get the 4 caches within the 100 mile radius of your home from Navicache.

The listing is quite clear that you'll be getting up to 500 caches. That's one PQ.

The listing is quite clear that you'll be getting up to 500 caches. That's one PQ.

He also went on to say "You will receive a PQ containing the following: ALL caches listed within 100 miles of the center of the ZIP code or GPS COORDINATES YOU PROVIDE. ALL caches which are available (ACTIVE) to ALL users. ALL containers ALL sizes ALL terrains and difficulty ratings."

Of course you guys are right, there's no way this guy is going to provide tens of thousands of cache entries for $2. I guess he's already doing something illegal, so what's a little untruth in advertising.

Edited by Chrysalides

If the number of caches is larger than 500 in that 100 miles, Break up the query into multiple ones.

for instance creae one for just the small caches, then another for the regular, and then 1 for the large ones.

Another often used is split up the caches so under 500 fall within a specific date range for when they were placed. For instance all caches placed between 1/1/2000 and 1/1/2004, a second query for 12/31/2003 and 1/1/2008, and finally one for 12/31/2007 till 1/1/2010 (to get all current ones).

Dont for get to check on the # of caches at the top before setting a day for these to run so you dont waste your limited runs on queries that give you too many or dont give you what you want to see.

This method of breaking up the caches of course will vary by the total number and how you split them.

If you have 2500 in your area then you will need at least 5 and maybe 6 splits (maybe spliting each size query into 2 or 3 that split by date placed as well.).

Yup, already did something like that after the last suggestion, searched for Small, Regular and large containers of the Traditional, Multi and Earth cache type, then just played with the dates placed until I had around 450 caches in a single PQ. Took me 9 PQs to get them all for my area! Kind of fun, though, like looking into a time machine at how much the sport has grown. Early 2000s, I was able to use a date range of around a year or more, but the most recent times, 4 months covers over 500 new caches! And this was for a 50 mile radius from my place. I'll probably eventually break these down by difficulty, but that's for later.

I'll probably eventually break these down by difficulty, but that's for later.

The problem is that difficulty, terrain, size and even the date may be changed after the cache has been listed. However, there is usually no reason the change the date placed. The other attributes may be changed due to feedback, or because a cache went missing and was replaced.

I'll probably eventually break these down by difficulty, but that's for later.

The problem is that difficulty, terrain, size and even the date may be changed after the cache has been listed. However, there is usually no reason the change the date placed. The other attributes may be changed due to feedback, or because a cache went missing and was replaced.

Actually I have changed Date Placed on several caches after they were published. The usual reason is I used an old GC code that I reserved months before. When I updated it and submitted it for publication, I forgot to change the Date Placed field. Leaving it with an older incorrect date messes up Pocket Queries created using Date Place as selection criteria.