A cacher who had a cache or 2 unapproved.

I think it would be easier to hide caches and save the publishers time if on the cache map page, you could pick a spot and get the exact coords and how far that point is from an allready hidden cache. This way we can plan our hides at home on the computer and know that if we go that a way our caches will get approved instead of punching in waypoints and doind it in the field. Just another tool I think would save everyone some heartache. Can't take too much effort to program that into the website.

from what i understand the only way to get the coords for your hide is to go out into the field and take a reading. the coords can be off by just looking at the map.

you can send a message to your reviewer after you take your coord readings and ask if the place is within the guidlines before you go to the trouble of actually placing the cache. you can see on the maps if any caches are close by but not the finals of multi's, or mystery caches, in that case i think you can send the reviewer the coords to the place you want and see if your within the guidlines.

good luck!

I usually don't plan a location, more often than not I am out doing something and find a good location.

Since I keep several types of caches ready in my truck I just look on my GPS for the nearest cache, if it looks good I hide the cache then go home and create a listing.

On the rare occasion that it turns out too close to an existing stage of another I go move it, no big deal (it's only happened once).

Flexibility is the key to a happy life. :huh:

I think it would be easier to hide caches and save the publishers time if on the cache map page, you could pick a spot and get the exact coords and how far that point is from an allready hidden cache. This way we can plan our hides at home on the computer and know that if we go that a way our caches will get approved instead of punching in waypoints and doind it in the field. Just another tool I think would save everyone some heartache. Can't take too much effort to program that into the website.

How about going out and finding all the caches in the area so you know where they are then placing your cache where they aren't?

Actually that feature is presently available to Platinum members. Not only do we have special maps available that show all the available spots (which will avoid those pesky mystery finals and multi stages and finals) to hide a cache we also have an extra check box on our cache submission form ... "Cache is ready for pick up and hiding." Checking this results in the frog squad showing up, taking our cache and professionally hiding it in the selected spot. Along with our personal reviewer that is under orders not to reject our caches, cache hiding couldn't be simpler or less difficult.

But then not everyone can afford the yearly fees nor do they get the personal invitation to become a Platinum member.

Jim

You can using this website. Just enter your proposed coordinates then click on "nearby geocaches"

It sure would be helpful for the numbers to be accurate! I tried to place a cache in a park one time where I had the closest caches in my GPS. I walked it to an area that looked good for a hide. GPS said the closest cache was .10 away. I walked a bit farther to be sure that it would be far enough away from any other cache. Submitted a page, was told that it was however many feet away from the cache I walked it from. :) Darn bird flight path! We are not taking a bird's route.

It sure would be helpful for the numbers to be accurate! I tried to place a cache in a park one time where I had the closest caches in my GPS. I walked it to an area that looked good for a hide. GPS said the closest cache was .10 away. I walked a bit farther to be sure that it would be far enough away from any other cache. Submitted a page, was told that it was however many feet away from the cache I walked it from. :) Darn bird flight path! We are not taking a bird's route.

Some (most?) reviewers are flexible regarding the cache saturation guidelines. If there is a physical barrier preventing straight line path between two caches they will likely allow the cache. Since they don't examine the site in person, an explanation when submitting the cache helps immensely.