I found a Cache but my GPS said I was 89 yards away?

MrsChris

I found my first Cache today using my GPS...The only problem is that when I found it (and it was OBVIOUSLY in the correct spot---great hiding!) My GPS said I was still 89 yards away. On the contrary, when my GPS said I was 0 yards away....I was alone in the middle of empty asphalt parking lot. Is this a common issue with GeoCaching...or maybe just an issue with this particular hiding spot?

If I wasn't familiar with this park, I wouldn't have been able to find it----I don't want to waste my time Geocaching in unfamiliar territory....if the item is 100 yards away from where I think I'm suppossed to be looking! Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MrsChris :huh:

I found my first Cache today using my GPS...The only problem is that when I found it (and it was OBVIOUSLY in the correct spot---great hiding!) My GPS said I was still 89 yards away. On the contrary, when my GPS said I was 0 yards away....I was alone in the middle of empty asphalt parking lot. Is this a common issue with GeoCaching...or maybe just an issue with this particular hiding spot?

If I wasn't familiar with this park, I wouldn't have been able to find it----I don't want to waste my time Geocaching in unfamiliar territory....if the item is 100 yards away from where I think I'm suppossed to be looking! Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The first thing that comes to mind you had the wrong datum selected. Make sure it is WGS-84, not NAD-27. The other is if you entered the waypoint manually you crossed up some digits.

Jim

What is WGS-84, vs. NAD-27? A setting on the GPS? I just got a Garmin nuvi 205w

I was out for the first time today also, but my story didn't end with a 'find'.

But one of the 3 stops I made, had me pinpointed in the middle of the parking lot as well.

Thanks.

The first thing that comes to mind you had the wrong datum selected. Make sure it is WGS-84, not NAD-27. The other is if you entered the waypoint manually you crossed up some digits.

Jim

But one of the 3 stops I made, had me pinpointed in the middle of the parking lot as well.

Thanks.

Jim

I may be wrong, but I don't think the nuvi gives you a choice, it is WGS-84. If your going to use a nuvi make sure you switch to pedestrian mode, not car mode.

Jim

Yes, there is a datum setting on your GPSr. This link will explain the difference between WGS-84 and NAD-27.

I double checked the coordinates and they were entered correctly...I have a Garmin nuvi 255W and I have pushed every button on it....I don't find anything that refers to "datum setting" or "WGS-84 or "NAD-27". Can anyone help me out on how to change the datum setting on this GPS??

Thanks.

Jim

I may be wrong, but I don't think the nuvi gives you a choice, it is WGS-84. If your going to use a nuvi make sure you switch to pedestrian mode, not car mode.

Jim

Okay---I wasn't able to find anyway to switch the "Datum setting" on my nuvi 255W. My coordinates were correct and the GPS was in 'Pedestrian' mode.....any other suggestions?

Okay---I wasn't able to find anyway to switch the "Datum setting" on my nuvi 255W. My coordinates were correct and the GPS was in 'Pedestrian' mode.....any other suggestions?

From reading the online user manual, page 11, it looks like you enter the datum format when you enter the coordinates.

Touch "Where To?"

Touch a box to enter coordinates

Touch "Format" to change the type of coordinates

Enter coordinates and touch "Next"

Also it appears that the Nuvi 255w has an Off road option as well as a pedestrian mode. Just go to Tools/Settings/Navigation/Route Preference/Off Road/OK

I don't have a Nuvi myself, so I can't be 100% sure of the advice above. Just what I've gleaned from reading the manual.

I guess I didnt look close enough. mine is a 255w also.

I will look around for this stuff on the unit and take my boys out on a treasure hunt or two again today, and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help everyone.

From reading the online user manual, page 11, it looks like you enter the datum format when you enter the coordinates.

Touch "Where To?"

Also it appears that the Nuvi 255w has an Off road option as well as a pedestrian mode. Just go to Tools/Settings/Navigation/Route Preference/Off Road/OK

I don't have a Nuvi myself, so I can't be 100% sure of the advice above. Just what I've gleaned from reading the manual.

I guess I didnt look close enough. mine is a 255w also.

I will look around for this stuff on the unit and take my boys out on a treasure hunt or two again today, and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Touch "Where To?"

Found 2 out of 2 today.

The coordinates were just about dead on, in my 255w. When I was going by the # of feet left, this was not too accurate, but if I just followed the car to the flag, this helped. (then double checked coordinates if needed)

I found that once I got out of the car, i changed two settings....

TOOLS>SETTINGS>NAVIGATION>Route Preference>OffRoad

and...

TOOLS>SYSTEM>USAGE MODE>Pedestrian

Before you drive off.. dont forget to change these back... lol I forgot, and it messed me up.. lol

Dont know if u use this tool or not, but if you hold your finger on the SIGNAL BARS on the main screen, a 'secret screen' will come up with your co-ordinates, so you dont have to go to 'Where am I'

Is that normally a car GPS? I used My garmin Nuve 360 or whatever.. I tried using that for caching before I got my Garmin 60Cx and I was always like 40 feet away. I tried my wifes garmin 250.. Even worse was always a range from like 30 to 60 feet off it was so frustrating I gave up. I considered those two types useless.

Edited by ShawnHudson

I agree with the comments about using the nuvi for geocaching. We have a Nuvi 205w which has been a great CAR GPS for us for >2 years now, but the experiment using it for geocaching was an unmitigated disaster. In fact, when I got my iPhone, I tried it's GPS against the Nuvi & found the iPhone FAR superior (which in turn I quickly got frustrated with & stopped using in favour of a GPSmap 60cx).

One other possibility to consider is that the cache may have moved - or that the coordinates posted are just plain wrong. I havent been doing this that long & I know i've found a couple that were in the order of 100' away from where they should have been & at least one that had obviously been relocated. Check the logs to see if anyone else noted the same problem...

There's the forum way to check.... and there's the easy way to check :)

Google Earth also puts the co-ords in the middle of the parking lot. Before everybody deviates onto parallel issues, check the map and draw your own conclusions folks... and to answer the OP's question - no, it doesn't look like you were mistaken (but that does depend on where you actually found the cache.... B) )

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=chr...mp;t=h&z=18

Edited by keehotee

Yes, the 255w is a car GPS. I got it for free and couldnt pass it up. You can never pass up 'free'. lol

I'll keep using it and see how it turns out.

Considering I found 2 out of 2 items yesterday, I guess it can't be all that bad.

Like I said, when looking at 'feet away', yes.. it was not accurate. But when I used the

map and zoomed in on me walking towards the coordinates, it worked fine.

Then finally checking the coordinates was on target as well.

The only thing that was off was the 'feet away'.

Is that normally a car GPS? I used My garmin Nuve 360 or whatever.. I tried using that for caching before I got my Garmin 60Cx and I was always like 40 feet away. I tried my wifes garmin 250.. Even worse was always a range from like 30 to 60 feet off it was so frustrating I gave up. I considered those two types useless.

Some GPS's are not very accurate.

Mine, which is supposed to be good, and is a garmin, often is off by 80 ft I'm afraid.

Things that make them go off are:

low batteries (usually the culprit)

Cloud cover

trees

valleys or rock walls around me

or sometimes the area may have a large amount of iron or other minerals causing problems in the rock below. I know of one very large park where no one can get a good signal.

Most GPS's have to be moving to get an accurate reading

I've had my garmin put me 50 ft out into water when it was not a water cache. :D

Last weekend it said 100 ft. when in fact I was about 15 away. :)

To help accuracy, I pay attention to what it says on the first pass. That is usually the most accurate, but not always. I keep moving as i walk up to the cache site and try to get as close to ground zero before i have to turn around.

Then I pass it by about 30-50 ft or more and then turn around and make a second pass (if I did not get a good ground zero or one that made sense on the first pass)

I think they call it the drunken bee dance, walking back adn forth to get the best reading. I make large passes though so the GPS has time to get the message that I've turned around and am going in the opposite direction. Takes a minute so I give it a lot of space to do this.

Sometimes it takes multiple passes before I can zero in on what is really the true ground zero. :D

I sometimes have to average out the readings, but I will get an idea of the search area even if I don't get an accurate reading.

Also, you can check online for software updates on your GPS, even if it is brand new. Go to the manufacturer website. These are usually free, and will often help with accuracy.

And remember, when you turn your GPS on it should tell you how accurate it is that day.

Sometimes mine will tell me 14 feet off, sometimes it has given me an error rate of 80 feet. depends on the satellite configuration that day and other things. Take that into consideration when you plan your search radius. If it tells you it's accurate within 22 feet, that means you have a 22 foot search radius if the thing is right on that day.

This is why when you plant your first caches, remember that GPS's are not right on, and hints are good, especially if it is in sensitive plant area, or a dangerous area. Remember you may have people looking within a 22-80 ft radius of your cache. :):D

And remember, when you turn your GPS on it should tell you how accurate it is that day.

Sometimes mine will tell me 14 feet off, sometimes it has given me an error rate of 80 feet. depends on the satellite configuration that day and other things. Take that into consideration when you plan your search radius. If it tells you it's accurate within 22 feet, that means you have a 22 foot search radius if the thing is right on that day.

GPS accuracy can change on a minute-by-minute basis. I've seen changes in accuracy (as reported by my Garmin Oregon 400t) that went from 10 to 30+ to 3 feet within a 15 minute period and I wasn't on the move. You need to remember that the GPS satellites are not in geostationary orbits. They each orbit the earth roughly 2 times per day which means that the number of satellites your GPSr can "see" at any given time is constantly changing as some drop below the horizon and others rise above it. Remember too that local terrain and artificial horizons like buildings have a big effect on this too. If you happen to be in a place which has a restricted view of the sky, the change in accuracy can be rapid and profound. Of course atmospheric conditiond also play a role, but it usually doesn't result in rapid changes in accuracy.

The 15 minute swing in accuracy I mentioned above happened in one of the local business districts with several high-rise office buildings and plenty of trees in it. I called up the satellites screen on the GPSr and the signal bars were moving like a slow motion graphic equalizer display. I was looking for a nano cache and accuracy was important so I had to sit near GZ and wait for awhile before I finally got a strong signal from several satellites at once. I should add that once my GPSr gave me that 3 foot tolerance it led me right to the cache (WAAS enabled).

Pete

Yes, the 255w is a car GPS. I got it for free and couldnt pass it up. You can never pass up 'free'. lol

I'll keep using it and see how it turns out.

Considering I found 2 out of 2 items yesterday, I guess it can't be all that bad.

Like I said, when looking at 'feet away', yes.. it was not accurate. But when I used the

map and zoomed in on me walking towards the coordinates, it worked fine.

Then finally checking the coordinates was on target as well.

The only thing that was off was the 'feet away'.

Heck yea Free is Free :D But you will for sure have issues when you start getting into covered area, the antenas on the auto ones won't keep satelite locks as well under thick cover.. But if it's working for now then you can't beat not spending money :(

I am a newbie also. I am currently using a Garmin 265T. I have found that the "pedestrian" mode does not seem to help much as opposed to the "automobile" mode. However, it seems to be pretty much dead on when I tell it to tell me where I am and compare those coordinates with the coordinates of the cache.