Garmin Etrex Venture HC

Hey all,

I'm rather new at geocaching and have only gone caching with friends, not on my own. Right now, I'm just an extra set of eyes and hands, and I want to contribute a bit more by having my own hand-held GPS. Also, sort of need a GPS to go solo :huh:

I'm looking for a geocache-friendly GPS that will last for a long time. Nothing too fancy and nothing too expensive. I've searched through most of the Garmin GPS's and come upon the Etrex Venture HC.

It seems to have a good bit of capabilities, but doesn't have the electronic compass which I noticed is available with other models. How useful is the electronic compass? I'm assuming it isn't that big of a deal. Prices for the GPS range from $100 - $128 (Amazon's price). There are a few refurbished Ventures on sale as well, but I have not had much experience buying refurbished equipment. Could entail some problems later on.

If anyone has some feedback to provide or some suggestions on where to buy this GPS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ajay

I just got mine a month or 2 ago and LOVE it! I don't know about having a built in compass, though. I do have a tiny $5 compass I carry around if I need it, but I usually don't. We have a lot of urban caching as opposed to "going on a long hike and needing a compass caching" so I don't know if you will need one or not. I got mine refurbished from tigergps.com for $99. I don't usually buy used, either, but this had like a 1 yr manufacturer warrenty and 60 day tigergps warranty (can't quite remember for sure) on it so I thought that was pretty good. Good luck and have fun!

edit: added the word "day"

Edited by sweetpea3

I've been using mine for almost 6 months now, and I still think it is the best GPSr you can buy for the money. It'll be nice to have electronic compass, but not worth paying $80 more. It has USB and a high sensitivity receiver. I wish it has paperless capabilities, but a used Palm is cheap if a little inconvenient.

Edit : I got mine from Amazon. Their prices fluctuate. I got mine for $115.

Edited by Chrysalides

We love ours! Does everything we need it to do. We started with just using our Nuvi 255W and even did fairly well with that. Once we got the "bug" though, we felt the need for a more portable, water-proof and durable unit for the actual hiking parts. We got ours for about $124 a couple months ago through Amazon.com, but at that time, they were also available for around the same price through Walmart, both online and in the stores. Until I saw the new GeoMate, Jr. that's just becoming available, the Venture was the smallest and least expensive hand-held available that had geocaching functions built in.

This new GeoMate, Jr. looks very interesting for families on a budget. Basic in funtion, but comes with 250,000 caches PRE-PROGRAMMED! And all for only $69.99! Coming available soon from Groundspeak store.

The electronic compass will not be missed.. The limited space for adding maps might be an issue if you decide to use it for hiking.. I have a Vista HCx and I can tell you the electronic compass is not all that helpful.. I carry a real compass with my Vista when hiking out in the boondocks. If all your caching is in or around urban areas ..The Venture will be great.

Thanks all, I'm probably going to buy a refurbished Venture and see how it goes from there!

I think you can't really go wrong with the Venture HCx I 've had one for about six months and it just works great like you it was a matter of budget and I'm not sorry I got it. Bought it in Alberta. Good Caching

Thanks all, I'm probably going to buy a refurbished Venture and see how it goes from there!

I think you can't really go wrong with the Venture HCx I 've had one for about six months and it just works great like you it was a matter of budget and I'm not sorry I got it. Bought it in Alberta. Good Caching

Did you order the refurbished? What condition did it come in? I've always wondered how beat up these things are after they've been refurbished.

we got our Legend HCx bundled at WM in canada a few weeks ago for $225.97CA after an online pricematch. of the 14 or 17 caches we looked for, it was been dead on accurate within 2m or so, sometimes it's write on the spot.

i bought this compass locally at leevalley for $10 and i'll carry that next time we go deep in the woods, but as long as i mark our car as a waypoint, hopefully we'll be ok. we got lost once, but it was my fault. started heading in the wrong direction, didn't really understand what i was looking at on my gps, but we got back ok.

that said, my bundle came with the following:

HCX BUNDLE

Wal-Mart Item #: 967268

UPC #0753759083724

eTex Legend HCx

preprogrammed 2GB SanDisk microSD card with City Navigator NA NT

vehicle power cable

MapSource Trip and Waypoing manger

USB cable

lanyard

manual

i picked up the garmin case for it to protect it and so i can have it hanging around my neck when we are out, makes it easier to cache with a 2y & 4y old.

for $225CA it was a good price on a good bundle on a proven unit. i also get the walmart return policy if it turns out i don't end up liking it.

i originally wanted the Venture HC, but couldn't get a good price on one in canada, like the $90 ebay ones with free shipping.

i do like the option of the memory card,