New mosquito product

rovers3

I've never tried B1, although it has been touted for years as a repellent. The fact that skitters hone in on CO2 emissions from your breath and skin means that smokers are more likely to get attacked, as well as CO2 produced by most perfumes and other scents on your body, is good enough for me. We northerners do not use scented soaps, nor spray on deodorants when out in the bush. If B1 can block even more of the emissions, I'm willing to try.

I found this as I was searching for something about bananas and mosquitoes..

here is the url

http://www.theedge.ca/arden/mosquito.htm

Plant marigolds around the yard to reduce insecticide use.

The flowers apparently give off a smell that bugs do not like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you eat bananas, mosquitos like you.

Something about the banana oil as your body processes it.

Try not eating bananas for the summer and see if mosquitos are less interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wipe Bounce fabric softener sheets on exposed skin, especially for babies.

Take 100mg Vitamin B-1 tablet (Thiamine Hydrochloride) each day April through October.

Vick's Vaporub (Great, provided your friends can handle the smell too!)

Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.

For mosquitoes and ticks, clear real vanilla - the pure vanilla sold in Mexico.

No information on how it works with other insects.

While most are good ideas I really skip bananas in the summer,, I guess I will skip the muffins from timies too

I might try the B1 trick

Normally I use Watkins Brand fly repellant

and the best thing for after the bight is the Benadryl stick pen,, better than the "After Bite" brand

We get nasty bugs all summer on Cape Breton Island so any hint in fighting these nasty lill critters is good..

Edited by stagunner

I expect some of these things will work differently for different people. For instance, mosquitoes aren't normally too interested in me. I don't mean that they ignore me completely but they don't seem to be as interested in me as they are in many other people. I golf all summer long and I usually take along a banana or two for snacking part way through the round. I've never noticed any difference in mosquitoes interest in me before or after eating the banana.

...ken...

I decided to give it a try and went to (the place of commercial origin mentioned on the page whose name shall not be mentioned!) - They had never heard of the stuff, but said i was the fourth person in the store today to ask for such a thing. They said that advertising may have begun for the product before it was actually shipped to the stores.

A less fashionable alternative is to just tape some bounce dryer sheets to your shoulders. lot less expensive then B1 pads, and work pretty well (more then 1$ a pop?)

That patch sounds like an interesting product... I'd certainly be willing to pay a dollar a day on camping or fishing trips not to get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

A less fashionable alternative is to just tape some bounce dryer sheets to your shoulders. lot less expensive then B1 pads, and work pretty well (more then 1$ a pop?)

I've never understood the basis of using Bounce to repel mosquitoes... Perfume attracts them, Bounce is perfumed, shouldn't it attract them? And rubbing your skin (or that of a baby, as suggested in another post) with a Bounce sheet would be bad, as several products in Bounce are irritants if applied directly on the skin.

Other than covering yourself regularly in the few products proven to work (DEET every 4 hours, citronella or lemon eucalyptus oil ever half hour...), the only things I've seen really work is clothing too thick/loose for them to bite through, or pedalling so fast that they can't catch up with you :)

One trick that has worked for other people is to go hiking with me, as the mosquitoes seem to prefer me (no matter if I eat bananas or not) :anibad:

i donno why it works. You know what would be useful? A site dedicated to mosquito relellant techniques and people rating how certain techniques work! :)

Anyone better at google then I am?

Fact! Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 emissions given off by the exhalation of breath by mammalian creatures. A mosquito can detect CO2 at 2 ppm, and hone in on that vapour trail from at least 300 meters.

We poor beer drinkers are at a serious disadvantage because of the beer burps, and carbon dioxide emissions through the skin. :anibad: If you want a real proven deterrent, for bug and human combined, consume at least 4 cloves of garlic per day. It works. :)

Edited by Mag Magician

In my experience if you eat a lot of foods with processed sugars it attracts more skitters. Not sure why as I know they are attracted to CO2 not "sweetness".

Without question deerflies are attracted to bright blue things. So if there's a 'cacher you dislike a gift of a an appropriately coloured shirt may be in order. :ph34r:

Anyone know of any soap and/or shampoo that dooesn't attack mosquitoes? I don't like getting bit on my sweet-smelling head!!!

I am assuming that you meant "attract" and not "attack", if so it seems that whenever they test mosquito repellants they wash the sacrificial arm with Ivory Soap first and I've heard from some campers that they use it while camping and it helps to keep the little blood-suckers away.

You can also apply it for after bite relief.

Hope that helps

In my experience if you eat a lot of foods with processed sugars it attracts more skitters. Not sure why as I know they are attracted to CO2 not "sweetness".

Hee hee! How do they make beer? Or wine? They ferment sugar to make alcohol, creating CO2 in the process! Same thing happens in your digestive system.