Premier Geocoin Race IV

Shilo

Intermediate update posted.

Hippie buses and Yellow Jeeps are taking over the standings :laughing:

2nd, 3rd and 4th in mileage and the top 4 spots in geocachers ;)

Wanna talk about a fix!!! :D

Who said Jeep's are slow? You didn't know I had a Hemi under the hood of all those Jeeps! ;)

Your Hemi's are full steam ahead too. :P 2 more movement tonight. Will update later on Sunday.

Intermediate update posted.

Hippie buses and Yellow Jeeps are taking over the standings :laughing:

2nd, 3rd and 4th in mileage and the top 4 spots in geocachers ;)

Wanna talk about a fix!!! :P

Who said Jeep's are slow? You didn't know I had a Hemi under the hood of all those Jeeps! ;)

Well my buses run on love... :D

Edited by Tha Saint

My coin was picked up and the cacher says he's going to NJ. How far is that? :)

Hmm. Rough guess I'd say around 800 miles. If you use Yahoo maps and have it route you from it's current city to a city in NJ that will give you a pretty good general idea. Just keep in mind that the driving directions will be somewhat higher than the real distance since gc.com measures it as the crow flies with no turns which add miles to the numbers. Congrats on the big jump! ;)

My coin was picked up and the cacher says he's going to NJ. How far is that? :D

Depends on where it got picked up at :P

Another coin just left IN going to Vegas then to Japan at the end of the month. Everyone better get big moves in now.

Edit to add: When changing home coordinates was way easier than they are now, you could put in the last caches coords and then do a search for a cache in NJ and would get a straight line value. I still haven't figured out how to change home coords yet. It was easy as entering coords or using a map and now....geeeesh.

Edited by Shilo

Standings updated :D

I'm headed out of town this weekend so there may be no updates until Monday, at the latest. I'll have the laptop with me so if internet is available and time permits I will update. Working 12 hours(again) tomorrow so I'll do my best to update before I leave.

Have a good weekend and go find some caches!!!

So, I had an obsessive moment about my racers and thought I would check up on them, since I've not had much in the way of notifications for a while:

Racers 1, 3, and 4 are in the hands of other geocachers.

Racer #2 is in Germany, but when I translated the page (mostly German loggers) I saw that on 23 August someone posted a note that the coin was missing. Maybe it will turn up? A year is a long time...

Racer #5 was recently placed in a cache in Florida that has been visited a totle of THREE times this year.

Glad this is a race for fun! :)

So, I had an obsessive moment about my racers and thought I would check up on them, since I've not had much in the way of notifications for a while:

Racers 1, 3, and 4 are in the hands of other geocachers.

Racer #2 is in Germany, but when I translated the page (mostly German loggers) I saw that on 23 August someone posted a note that the coin was missing. Maybe it will turn up? A year is a long time...

Racer #5 was recently placed in a cache in Florida that has been visited a totle of THREE times this year.

I would contact cache owner of #5 and see if they can help out. Contact the cachers of 1, 3, and 4 if they have had your racers for awhile.

But the race is suppose to be fun. It can get frustrating though when racers get stuck even with a tag on them that says its in a race.

I would contact cache owner of #5 and see if they can help out. Contact the cachers of 1, 3, and 4 if they have had your racers for awhile.

But the race is suppose to be fun. It can get frustrating though when racers get stuck even with a tag on them that says its in a race.

I AM having fun, I promise! I just get a little ancy wondering when/where they will move next. Even if mine don't move, it is fun to see the other racers, and just a treat to see geocoins out and moving in the world.

I won't contact the geocachers just yet...I don't want to be one of "those" geocoin owners who gets militant if his/her coin doesn't move within the 14-day guideline. Plus, I feel like that's cheating fate a bit. If I prod them to move my coin, and then it disappears after the very next cache...well...that would be my own doing. If I let them make the move that suits their conscience and the same thing happens, I can blame someone else...

Standings are updated.

Please check your racers mileage/geocachers versus the standings page and let me know if there is an error. I went back and looked for errors but might have missed 1....or 2.

Someone I know didn't save the last update(sorry) before uploading to the website B)

Too bad there is not a "Number of Caches Visited" catagory. I had fun visiting 107 caches within a 3.5 hour period, but it took 2 days to log them all. I also dipped the racer I'm currently holding into each one.

There use to be a number of placements category but I changed it because of what you did(not you personally but the cache run idea). Only 1 or 2 coins got to go on 100+ cache runs and they wrapped up that category. So I made a change to number of different geocachers to make it more competitive and to get the racers in more hands and not hoarded by a single geocacher for months on end.

The whole idea of the race is to get geocoins out 'in the wild' and moving around. The idea of drilling and tagging with wire rope is to keep theft down and hopefully an easier way of keeping coins from getting misplaced or lost because they are 'bigger' with the tag and wire rope attached to them.

The standings will be updated in the next couple of days. :D

We've had 15 inches of rain in the last 16 hours on top of the flooding rains since last Tuesday. Power has been sketchy here and the water in my garage and neighborhood comes first. A normal 20 minute drive to work took 1 hour and 40 minutes....ugh

The standings will be updated in the next couple of days. :D

We've had 15 inches of rain in the last 16 hours on top of the flooding rains since last Tuesday. Power has been sketchy here and the water in my garage and neighborhood comes first. A normal 20 minute drive to work took 1 hour and 40 minutes....ugh

I hope your house and belongings fair well - make sure the GPSr is stored up high! We, too, had the bottom fall out this afternoon and some parts of our town took on more water in a short period of time than they could handle. I tried for an FTF during the worst of it - crazy, I know - and had to turn around twice. My little Saturn just doesn't have the clearance it should to accomodate my hobbies and a week-long rainstorm.

Take care of you, and the race will take care of itself eventually, I'm sure!

The standings will be updated in the next couple of days. :blink:

I hope your house and belongings fair well - make sure the GPSr is stored up high! We, too, had the bottom fall out this afternoon and some parts of our town took on more water in a short period of time than they could handle. I tried for an FTF during the worst of it - crazy, I know - and had to turn around twice. My little Saturn just doesn't have the clearance it should to accomodate my hobbies and a week-long rainstorm.

Take care of you, and the race will take care of itself eventually, I'm sure!

I live in a 2 story house and 95% of my belongings are up high. Stuff in garage is mostly ok but a have a 8 ft diameter puddle(about 1/2 inch deep) in the front part. Doors are open now since the big yellow thingy in the sky....can't remember it's name...is out today :anicute: . Roads to the south and east of me are closed but 1 they got open today. The NWS said we got 25 inches in this area since last Tuesday :huh: and 15 of that was Sun-Mon.

A friend of mine from Canada got here Sun morning and left last night for Disney. At midnight my phone rings, he can't get to I-20. I spend an hour on the phone with my map in front of me trying to find a way for him to get out of here. An hour later and on the 4th try, he finally got on I-75 a little out of his way. He is suppose to back this way Saturday on his way back to Canada, I wonder if he'll even stop to see me....LOL.

Standings are updated :lol:

I've asked and will continue to do so, ask cachers who are holding on to racers for a long time to place them soon and leave them for others to enjoy. The idea of the race is to have these coins move around and visit different cachers and not be a personal mileage tracker as it seems to have happened to the 3 leaders. I have gotten 1 response and the issue will be resolved shortly for 1 racer.

Although not against the rules, it does go against the spirit and intent of the race. I hope you all understand.

Edit to add: My Canadian friend has left and the flooding issues resolved so I should be able to attend to the race better now as well.

Edited by Shilo

As everyone can probably figure out, next year will be the 5th race of the PGR. That a big year so I like to start a discussion now to get things going to make it the best and biggest race of them all.

I started a thread here to keep this thread on PGR IV news and discussion and to prevent 2 separate threads here at Groundspeak on similar subjects(to prevent confusion and merging of 2 related topics).

I know its early but now is the time to work out changes and details and not getting rushed as I was last year. There is alot of work that goes on that doesn't get seen and some mistakes were made(by myself) last year that I'd like to not repeat ;)

Its our race and not my race so make sure you get heard!!

Standings are updated :unsure:

I've asked and will continue to do so, ask cachers who are holding on to racers for a long time to place them soon and leave them for others to enjoy. The idea of the race is to have these coins move around and visit different cachers and not be a personal mileage tracker as it seems to have happened to the 3 leaders. I have gotten 1 response and the issue will be resolved shortly for 1 racer.

Although not against the rules, it does go against the spirit and intent of the race. I hope you all understand.

Edit to add: My Canadian friend has left and the flooding issues resolved so I should be able to attend to the race better now as well.

One guy had my bus for a month and a half, I emailed him & he said he had taken my coin all the way to Spain, but couldnt find the cache he wanted to place it in so he brought it back... lol

A little setback here on my end.

I lost(broke) my laptop a couple days ago and that is the pc I used to do the standings on. Fortunately, the standings are saved on a removable drive so they are safe but my old desktop has an older version of Excel and it will change the format of the newer Excel file. So the laptop is in the shop and I will know its status in a few days and will make a decision on how to update the standings. Also, the laptop ran my FTP software where my older laptop will not. I'm not totally disabled but want to wait for the better pc to see what the damage is first. Preliminary report is a bad hard drive.

I'll make a copy of the standings file and do an update tomorrow and see what it looks like with the older software.

Just a FYI, there isn't a whole lot of movements in the race to report in the last week.

I'll keep you all updated on the standings.....