Premier Geocoin Race IV

Shilo

Time to start planning the 4th edition of the PGR!!!!

Trying something new for a launch this year. I'm going to use 2-3 large geocaches from around the US(east coast, west coast and central if enough racers). If you enter more than one coin they will be divided among the caches and if an odd number exists the owner can specify where the rest go. Hoping to alleviate the issues with events(lost travelers) and only 8-10 people showing up taking 20+ racers each. This is open for discussion and not final yet. I have a west coast cache offer already.

Looking for a late June start or in early July if an event is used. Same rules as last year.

Please post questions/comments here.

Race Categories:

Greatest Overall Distance Traveled:

This is based on the valid mileage value on the geocoin page indicated on the line that says

"Travel Bug History (#.#mi)".

Placements By Different Geocachers:

This is based on the total number of different geocachers who place your racing geocoin.

Pre Race Rules:

--A geocacher may enter up to a maximum of 5 geocoins in the race.

--All geocoins must be trackable on geocaching.com.

--All geocoins entered must be registered by the coin owner (the person who entered the coin into

the race), have 0 miles logged and contain no log entries prior to the start of the race.

--Prizes will be awarded to the top racer based on greatest distance traveled and for most

placements by different geocachers.

--If the same coin wins both categories, then the prize for most geocachers will go to the 2nd

place coin in that category.

--In case of a tie in either of the categories, a tie breaker criteria will be established.

--All race winners will be contacted for there mailing information so I know where to mail their

prizes to.

--Racer standings will be updated on a regular basis.

--The race will go for exactly one year.

--I will include a custom metal tag(donated by Oakcoins), see image below, to each coin with a

hole pre-drilled or drilled in them. Otherwise, the race owner is responsible for all race materials

attached to their racing coin. I will drill racing coins upon request.

Race Rules:

Prizes will be awarded in 2 categories as follows: Greatest Overall Distance Traveled and Most

Placements By Different Geocachers.

1. If you find a geocoin in a geocache and take it, please move it along to another geocache in a

timely manner(generally within 2 weeks).

2. Only log the geocoin into a geocache in which you get a smiley face for except if it is the only

geocache you place it in or it is the final geocache you leave the geocoin in. Example: geocacher A

does 4 caches, the first 3 must accompany a smiley face log on the cache page while the last can

be a note or smiley face log. Even though there is no limit set to this rule(yet), use common

sense and be courteous to other geocachers who would enjoy moving a racing coin.

3. If any of these rules are not followed, the owner of the geocoin may be asked to remove the

violating log entry. If the violating log entry is not removed, then the geocoin's race standings will

not be updated.

4. In the rare situation where an owner of a geocoin finds their own geocoin, they may move it on

to another geocache, but it may not be more than 50 miles away and you are limited to a

maximum of two movements for the duration of the race.

5. Please post rules 1,2 and 3 on your geocoin page. Send me a private message and I will send

you the html coding for your page.

So, Im not sure how this works.. I live on the East Coast in NY. You are going to pick 1 east coast cache as a starting point? So lets say that cache is in PA, I would have to go to PA & place a coin to enter the race? And it says that you have tags to attach to the coins.. where or how do we get the tags before the race?

Thanks

So, Im not sure how this works.. I live on the East Coast in NY. You are going to pick 1 east coast cache as a starting point? So lets say that cache is in PA, I would have to go to PA & place a coin to enter the race? And it says that you have tags to attach to the coins.. where or how do we get the tags before the race?

Thanks

Everyone needs to mail me their race entrants. Then I'll tag them(if you want) then I will place your racer on my watch list so I can track the mileage.

Then I'll ship the racers to the prospective cache owners and they will place them in their cache all the same day so everyone starts at the same time. You won't have to do anything except mail your coins to me. :huh:

Hi. I think I know the answer to this, but will ask just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. Am I understanding it correctly that dipping a coin will be permitted and you are just asking the person doing so to be considerate of others and not keep a coin in their possession for unreasonably long periods of time? Thanks in advance for not only answering the question, but for setting up this event for everybody's enjoyment. :huh:

Hi. I think I know the answer to this, but will ask just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. Am I understanding it correctly that dipping a coin will be permitted and you are just asking the person doing so to be considerate of others and not keep a coin in their possession for unreasonably long periods of time? Thanks in advance for not only answering the question, but for setting up this event for everybody's enjoyment. :huh:

The idea is to try to keep someone from dipping it into all their own caches or caches they already found through posting of notes and the coin not being left. Someone still can log smileys and not really have found the cache but I can't catch that. Unless they make it obvious and I have ways to find that out. The geocaching and trackable drops are really an honesty thing to begin with.

If the last cache they drop the coin into and they leave it there then a note is fine and the placement will count. Just not 2 finds(smileys) then a note(placement) then a couple more finds(smileys).

Hope this makes sense. I had to work last night(overtime) and haven't been to bed yet since 7pm last night.

Edit to add: If someone dips your racer into 20 caches with all smileys that is fine but in the geocacher standings it will only count as 1 since the same cacher logged the coin in all 20 caches. All the miles will count though.

Edited by Shilo

Maybe haven't had enough coffee today, but can someone explain rule #2 to me? :huh:

See my post above this^^

Basically I'm trying to stop the armchair cacher from logging a racer into lots of caches and not actually finding them.

Can I take part even if I do not live in the United States?

Sure. :anitongue:

Just don't wait to long to mail them to me though. Overseas mailings can take a little while.

Great :huh: I love such races. Could you please send me a PM and tell me where to send the coins? I will put them into the mail as soon as possible and send them with priority mail.

Can I take part even if I do not live in the United States?

Sure. :anitongue:

Just don't wait to long to mail them to me though. Overseas mailings can take a little while.

Great :huh: I love such races. Could you please send me a PM and tell me where to send the coins? I will put them into the mail as soon as possible and send them with priority mail.

PM sent

What are the race dates?

The race will be for a year from sometime in mid to late June. I'm still working on a few things. As soon as I get a date set I will post it here.

Just one qeustion though: wouldn't it be a bit of a risk to put all the racing coins in just a few caches? What if one gets muggled, or someone that knows about the race and the caches full of coins has ill intentions?

Just one qeustion though: wouldn't it be a bit of a risk to put all the racing coins in just a few caches? What if one gets muggled, or someone that knows about the race and the caches full of coins has ill intentions?

Yes I thought about that as well. I'm looking at caches that have been around for awhile with no history of being muggled or problems. Its really no different than someone going to an event taking a bunch of coins and losing them or whatever, it has happened.

My main concern is unfortunately the state of Georgia(where I live) has a bad trackable history. In previous races coins in mid to south GA have vanished so my thought process was to get them out of the area. There are a few other problem areas I know about and I'm steering clear of them as well. I'm doing my homework to offer the best and safest caches to start the race. It's not 100% just as events aren't either.

Anyone who has e-mailed me should have a reply. If you don't have one please post or let me know.

I have a 3 day weekend coming up and I'm staying home so I can start on getting racers ready if they get here this week.

And if everyone wants an event for a launch post your wish here. Or if you like the 2-3 cache idea let me know. Its our race. I was just wanting to try something different but if the opinion is it won't work then I won't do it. I'm open to either.

Yes I thought about that as well. I'm looking at caches that have been around for awhile with no history of being muggled or problems. Its really no different than someone going to an event taking a bunch of coins and losing them or whatever, it has happened.

My main concern is unfortunately the state of Georgia(where I live) has a bad trackable history. In previous races coins in mid to south GA have vanished so my thought process was to get them out of the area. There are a few other problem areas I know about and I'm steering clear of them as well. I'm doing my homework to offer the best and safest caches to start the race. It's not 100% just as events aren't either.

That's a good idea, selecting suitable starting caches by history! And once the race has started and the coins spread, there's nothing we can do except hope that not too many go missing. I'd love to participate in the race, it will be the first race I take part in :laughing:

I'll send a few coins togethers with Millieballons coin soon.

Li-Z

Shilo, have you firmed up the plans for the launch?

What about having multiple simultaneous events across the country/world, like a Flash Mob, where folks come, take X # of coins, and go from there?

I don't like the idea of putting them in 3 or 4 caches all at once, unless those caches are similar to View Carre where the cache is under lock and key.

Shilo, have you firmed up the plans for the launch?

What about having multiple simultaneous events across the country/world, like a Flash Mob, where folks come, take X # of coins, and go from there?

I don't like the idea of putting them in 3 or 4 caches all at once, unless those caches are similar to View Carre where the cache is under lock and key.

Almost. Actually one of them is under lock and key. It looks like a huge filing cabinet. The other is placed with permission and is being watched and has over 600 finds(1100 overall) in its current location without problems. Both are visited daily and have 15+ people watching the listing.

I really have looked and looked for caches that wont get muggled and has a lot of traffic and has owners who are willing to help racers who get left behind(if that happens).

In the first 3 races, at every event, several racers seem to go missing at the events or very shortly thereafter. Trying something different this year and see how it goes.

We have a date, a start and a place!!!

The dates for the PGR IV are June 27, 2009 until June 27, 2010

Racers will start in a geocache(will be left un-named for now) in either Arizona or Florida.

Cache owners are willing to help get slow starters going if necessary. One cache is under lock and key and the other is being watched by several people and well hidden from muggles. Both have over 650 finds each and over 300 notes(return visitors). One was placed in 2005 and the other in 2003.

What will happen is if you send 2 or 4 racers they will split evenly between east and west. 1 racer or the odd one if sending 3 or 5, owner choice of east or west. If I don't get an answer, I will randomly draw or let my cat pick.

I will send racers to respective cache owners 1 week before the start so make sure you get them to me as soon as you can otherwise your racer will start in the Atlanta metro area in a TB hotel no earlier than June 27th.

This is my first race.......Pros/cons of 50 or so racers? There were twice that many in PGC III.

That is so far. I believe more will get entered. I have received a few more e-mails the last couple of days.

Ok, my racers are being transported to the starting line.

Get Ready .... zoom zoom!

Got them Friday. They are entered on the website.

LZ33 has his racer entered on the website as well.

One more thing.

If you don't want your georacer in your inventory for a month just mark it as missing and it wont be in it anymore. I have to grab your racer from you no matter where it is(missing or in your hands).

FYI...Your racers will be grabbed either by 'Shilo' or 'GAracer' depending on which cache your racer is going to.