Recording find

ValHamilton

Can I record a find if I uncover the cache with my cane and can clearly see and touch it, but can't actally clamber down to pick it up? :laughing:

That'd be a DNF to me. Essentially, my own standard is, if I did not sign the log, I do not log a find. This includes : forgetting to bring pen, cannot retrieve cache. So far, for log book full, I've either scrawled my name / initials somewhere, or added a log sheet.

If I can't retrieve the container, open it and sign the cache I typically don't claim a find. There is a cache at the top of a 50' ladder that I have visited twice. I can see the container. I won't climb the ladder to get to the cache so I won't claim a find.

If I can't retrieve the container, open it and sign the cache I typically don't claim a find. There is a cache at the top of a 50' ladder that I have visited twice. I can see the container. I won't climb the ladder to get to the cache so I won't claim a find.

If you won't climb the ladder, why revisit? Do you do in hopes it has fallen to the ground so you can log it? :laughing::lol:

If you won't climb the ladder, why revisit? Do you do in hopes it has fallen to the ground so you can log it? :laughing::lol:

He's hoping he had drank enough whiskey during one of the visits. B)

Jim

He's hoping he had drank enough whiskey during one of the visits. B)

Jim

Ummm, it is a cool location and I have been there twice when hiking with groups. No whiskey during the hikes. I promise I won't bash you if you choose to write a note for a cache that you won't log even though you could when it is a part of a 12+ mile hike but you wouldn't climb a 50' ladder. I might think about bashing you if you log a find on a cache that you can't or won't do what is required to find and log the cache.

Next?

'k.

if i can see and touch the container and i can't get it free AND getting it open is not part of the intended challenge (frozen in a block of ice comes to mind) i may sign the container and call it a find.

if getting the container out and open is part of the challenge (out of reach by design, like the 50 foot ladder), i won't claim a find.

grey area: recently a guy emailed me to tell me that he's found one of my caches, but his hands were to big to fit in the crevice. had being tricky to get out been part of my concept, i'd have deleted his log right off. sincei didn't intend for it to be hard, i let it stand.

i wouldn't have called it found for myself, but i let him call it found.

Can I record a find if I uncover the cache with my cane and can clearly see and touch it, but can't actally clamber down to pick it up? :laughing:

While the official rules state you must sign the log book, everyone plays this game there own way. Your best bet is to e-mail the cache owner and explain your situation and see what they think. I know I would have no problem letting you log assuming your using a cane limits you somehow from completing the last few feet/ picking up the cache. But thats me.

If you can't open it and sign the log, then how can you be sure that you've found the actual cache? I've found several decoy containers. All of them looked like an actual cache until I opened them and read the "keep trying" document inside.

I've found caches frozen in place that I couldn't retrieve. I've seen caches up trees just out of my reach unless I took that next step I didn't want. I've found caches with a missing logbook.

I won't claim a find on any of those since I didn't sign the logbook. It's just a smilely.