Proper Etiquette

Team Centurian

Ty Nodic and Star. Another part I tought about to that question... if you have 2 DNF for the same cache, would only log one?

I would log it every time I attempted it. Some cache owners like to see DNFs, it shows them either they make a good hide or there may be a problem with the cache.

Ty Nodic and Star. Another part I tought about to that question... if you have 2 DNF for the same cache, would only log one?

I would log it every time I attempted it. Some cache owners like to see DNFs, it shows them either they make a good hide or there may be a problem with the cache.

We also log every attempt. They are all a part of our caching history and the history of the cache.

There are some people who would log a DNF if they left their house with the intention of seeking out a particular cache but got sidetracked before getting even near it B)

I've seen someone log a DNF on a virtual (it's 50 ft tall, impossible to miss) because it was raining on the day they wanted to go find it :laughing:

I log my DNF if I started searching for it. I might log a note if I arrived at the location but did not search due to muggles. I haven't logged 2nd DNFs yet, not sure if the COs would appreciate it, but I haven't seen many multiple DNFs in a cache around here. That could be because most cachers aren't as blind as I am though :lol:

I'll log every attempt to a point. If I DNF twice in the same day I'll probably combine the two into a single log.

I have some caches with as many as 6 DNF logs over a period of months.

ROFL thanks all for the advice and help, definately a great group of people here and we are glad we found this site. We enjoy our trips out "hunting" and it has givin us a chance to see places we would not normally have gone.

I have logged some finds as "found it" but the cache really needed some maintenance. How is the proper way to handle that, so far I have just written it in my found log.

:laughing:

ROFL thanks all for the advice and help, definately a great group of people here and we are glad we found this site. We enjoy our trips out "hunting" and it has givin us a chance to see places we would not normally have gone.

I have logged some finds as "found it" but the cache really needed some maintenance. How is the proper way to handle that, so far I have just written it in my found log.

:laughing:

That is fine - you could also log a needs Maintenace log in addtion to the find log.

I carry a cache repair kit for handleing a lot of routine maintenance on caches. As an owner I know I appreciate a little TLC from others - (to a point).

if i have nothing to say about the DNF or if i think the cache is probably lame sometimes i don't log a DNF.

if the found log would have read "found it" and nothing else, i see little point in logging the DNF.

that said, i consider all attempts at a cache and sometimes even just passing by a cache to be part of the narrative, and i'm all about narrative. it isn't the actual find that i'm telling about; it's the trip and the search.

and pictures. i like pretty pictures.

There are some people who would log a DNF if they left their house with the intention of seeking out a particular cache but got sidetracked before getting even near it B)

I've seen someone log a DNF on a virtual (it's 50 ft tall, impossible to miss) because it was raining on the day they wanted to go find it :laughing:

I log my DNF if I started searching for it. I might log a note if I arrived at the location but did not search due to muggles. I haven't logged 2nd DNFs yet, not sure if the COs would appreciate it, but I haven't seen many multiple DNFs in a cache around here. That could be because most cachers aren't as blind as I am though :lol:

I have seen the DNF for 'planning on trying it but never made it there' and have wondered if the posters were just looking to up their DNF totals.

If I look and don't find, I post a DNF. If I searched for and didn't find it a second time, yes I would post a DNF and let the owner know either a) they made a good hide b ) I am just being blind and couldnt find it or c) there is a problem and they mught want to check it out. If I arrive at the area and can't/don't search because of muggles, weather, etc. I will 'post a note' saying I was there but couldn't search. Usually this is just for my benefit as a reminder but could also let others know there may be muggle trouble.

Do all logs get emailed to the owers? meaning "found it", "didnt find it", "maintainance" etc.

I was not sure so I did not want to send out tons of stuff to owners lol.

Yes, owners get an email for every entry on the caches they own.

If I look and don't find, I post a DNF. [snip] If I arrive at the area and can't/don't search because of muggles, weather, etc. I will 'post a note' saying I was there but couldn't search. Usually this is just for my benefit as a reminder but could also let others know there may be muggle trouble.

This is the approach I've taken. At least it lets the owner know that someone is interested in finding their cache.

I log all my DNFs, even the second or third.

One cache, we tried twice and couldn't find. Everyone else said it was an easy find! So we swallowed our pride and got some help from the CO, and headed out with a couple of friends to introduce them to geocaching ... and decided to do the one we had the help on. Couldn't fail, right? .... wrong!

We STILL couldn't find it! Talk about red faced, with brand new potential cachers on their very first search!

Turns out it had been muggled before we tried this search!

And we logged the DNF again!

Makes for some chuckles on the part of the owners, I'm sure! :huh:

We did find the replacement cache though!