Travel bug/geocoin etiquette

pissedfish

Question? How long should a person keep a bug/coin if they pick it up from a cache? All they said in there log was "just had to grab him. hoping to get him on his way down to florida. " They have had it for 9 weeks. I want to email the cacher and ask them to please release it back into the wild. Is this ok, or should I give them more time? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to phrase such a request?

Thanks

-Pissedfish

Edited by pissedfish

Patience, it will get moved.

My first geocoin was picked up the day after I turned it loose. It was held for over 4 months. (Winter in Wisconsin). After being placed in an other cache it was picked up and ended up in England. It is now in Germany.

Question? How long should a person keep a bug/coin if they pick it up from a cache? All they said in there log was "just had to grab him. hoping to get him on his way down to florida. " They have had it for 9 weeks. I want to email the cacher and ask them to please release it back into the wild. Is this ok, or should I give them more time? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to phrase such a request?

Thanks

-Pissedfish

I don't concern myself with a held bug until three or more months have passed. However there is nothing wrong with checking how recently the user has logged into gc.com and how recently they have the posted a cache find.

For your bug holder it appears they have been caching in the last couple weeks.

I'd say it would be okay to send them a nice friendly note. Thank them for picking up the bug. You were looking to see where it was at and wondered if they were still making that trip to Florida.

Who knows, maybe the trip wasn’t until October. They might ask you if it is okay to hold it til then.

It's okay to say No Thank you. Please move it along.

Edited by BlueDeuce

on a side note....how long should you go after physically picking up a coin or TB at an event or a "Mega Event" before you log a retrieve? anybody see how many are still at GW7? :ph34r:

BTW: I have 2 coins that have been quiet for a long time. I have emailed the holders with no response. Looks like I will just need to move them to the unknown location soon.

Edited by KJcachers