Survey: Who participates in 'Liar Caches'?

[it is not fine with me if i plan a weekend around doing a challenging cache and get there to find that it would properly be rated 1/1 and i have wasted my time.

Well put. Let's consider for a moment the extreme inverse. A 5/5 cache that claims to be a 1/1. Maybe somebody actually dies from a fall from a cliff, rather than dying from boredom in a parking lot.

OK... too philosophical. That seems to be about as far as I can take it after 3 beers. Might try again tomorrow.

for the record, i am also against drastically under-rating caches.

i also do not drink beer.

chances are very good though that you might pull up to the 5/5 disguised as a 1/1 and realize that it's incorrectly rated within a few minutes. likewise you probably haven't invested very much time in hunting that specific cache, but were just driving by on your way to somewhere else. probably and i wish to stress the word "probably", you wouldn't have planned your weekend around any given 1/1 cache and would therefore not be so terribly disappointed to have to go away without finding it.

probably you realize the error before you fall off the cliff. i have fallen off of a lot of things, but i have yet to fall off of a tall thing that i didn't know was there. maybe i'm just lucky. maybe it's because i don't drink beer.

I guess I would agree that it would be a disappointment if you spent a fair amount of time and money in preparation for the hunt of a tough cache only to find out it was a liar cache. I also happen to think it would be pretty funny if I was sucked into such a cache. Shame on me. I would have a good time writing up the log for that cache.

But just so we're clear here, I merely spoke my opinion that I'd out a liar's cache (probably wouldn't do it to a reasonable one).

And I gave my opinion of your opinion. :)

Again, (more plainly this time) outing a so called liar's cache only lables the outer as a party pooper. Imagine my shock and utter dismay when I found out ON THIS THREAD that Santa Claus doesn't exist. In my 42 short years, how did I miss the clues that it was ALL A SHAM?! :o:o:o Lawd, lawd. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Twas you and the other unnamed poster that added the drama to the thread. And yes, we certainly are all wired differently.

Drama? :huh: From Snoogans? :unsure: Naaaaaa. :laughing:

Snoogans didn't call anyone a dork on this thread. <_< But he DID compare someone to a lame cat that would leave smelly presents in kid's sandbox. Nice kit-ty. :huh:

Oops. My bad. I guess you're right. :anibad::anitongue:

BTW, you might want to check your dictionary for "chinldren". That one's not in my Merriam/Webster desk reference. :ph34r:

Maybe not in Webster, but it IS in the geocaching lexicon. :D

Actually that was an obscure joke meant for just a few people to laugh at. Subtle humor is something I work at providing in many of my posts. :laughing::anibad:

Chinldren: the thread that launched a thousand references.

What Cache is being talked about here? I am dying to read the Logs.

So far, one I just started, just curious to see what to expect, and no it has nothing to do with sunken cities, which is a real historic site in southern IL

What sort of creature is your cache about?

In following this thread it suddenly dawned on me that all Caches are liars caches in some way or another (ie one man's D1 = another man's D3). No one uses there real name, etc, etc.

Before any of you Enlish freaks flame me, I am sure I did not follow all Conventions in this post. Get over it!

:anitongue:

:huh:

So far, one I just started, just curious to see what to expect, and no it has nothing to do with sunken cities, which is a real historic site in southern IL

BigFoot. Also featured in the book 'Wierd Illinois' there was a history of bigfoot sightings so that is what gae me the idea. It was called the Murphysboro Mud Monster, which I think there was an old cache by that name. Can a premium user look that up and let me know what things went on with that cache? Near Murphysboro IL

BigFoot. Also featured in the book 'Wierd Illinois' there was a history of bigfoot sightings so that is what gae me the idea. It was called the Murphysboro Mud Monster, which I think there was an old cache by that name. Can a premium user look that up and let me know what things went on with that cache? Near Murphysboro IL

Is your cache published or in the planning stages?

Let's consider for a moment the extreme inverse. A 5/5 cache that claims to be a 1/1. Maybe somebody actually dies from a fall from a cliff

Darwinism at its finest? :huh:

That, or Geomate.jr and a pack of twelve year olds! :anitongue:

We have only done two or three liar's caches and found them to be fun, especially the one where we were FTF and then got a bunch of emails from local cachers asking for advice before they even set out to find it. Here's the log: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...34-18a5ec353bed

In following this thread it suddenly dawned on me that all Caches are liars caches in some way or another (ie one man's D1 = another man's D3). No one uses there real name, etc, etc.

Before any of you Enlish freaks flame me, I am sure I did not follow all Conventions in this post. Get over it!

"their" not "there"

"English" not "Enlish"

I got over it. :laughing:

"their" not "there"

"English" not "Enlish"

I got over it. :laughing:

And I was worried about liars/liar's an uses/use's :laughing:

I was caching my way ‘round Nashville at 4 a.m. this rainy morning with the Butt-Kicking Cache Getters (Team BKCG on cacheleague.com) when one of our number spied [cache name redacted for this post] cache on her GPS. Since it was close and we were after fast, easy caches we decided to go for it.

When we got to the site we realized immediately that this was no fast, easy cache, but we were there, and none of us willing to back down and look like a wuss in front of the rest.

Fortunately the seven of us combined had packed enough gear into our rented Suburban that we were prepared for any sort of challenge which geocachers might encounter (When following a GPS from cache to cache you can’t read cache pages, so you must be prepared for anything).

One thing we hadn’t prepared for was 24 hours of rain, so we had gone through all of our clothes and had to buy new ones. Rather than foul the new clothes we decided to do this one in our birthday suits.

The first thing we noticed was that cliff – as straight a drop into inky blackness as one could ever imagine.

We could hear torrents of water running below but assumed, incorrectly as it turns out, that Joe wouldn’t lead us over a bluff and into a river.

Hammerjane the Brave tried the descent first, but the sight of her disappearing abruptly into the night, the Doppler effect of her screams, the thuds and that awful whimpering emanating from the abyss told us we would need a rope. Actually, it told us to get the hell out of there, but a vote was taken, resulting in a 3 – 3 tie, so a coin was tossed to see if we really had to go down there after Hammer. We lost, and so began to make preparations for her rescue.

We secured the rope to a barrel of bricks conveniently left at the site and, since we couldn’t see the bottom, had no idea how far it might be, and therefore had to drop our rope over the edge and hope it reached bottom. We began to form a human chain, sliding down the rope, each keeping one hand on the ankle of the person above.

After rappelling approximately 100 feet we heard the sickening “scrunch” of something sliding and experienced a sudden lack of tension in the rope. Being fully entangled and impaled in thorns and vines we did not fall until the barrel reached us…then the fall was sudden and precipitous, made all the worse by being airborne now among a bunch of bricks, knowing that the stop would not be fun.

Did you know that six naked, wet and terrified geocachers falling through the night sky cannot fly? We could, unfortunately, flap arms and other parts just enough to slow our descent. Nothing slowed the bricks, however, a pile of which now awaited us as we landed. If you ever find yourself falling with a barrel of bricks try to stay with them, as landing either before or after them is not advised.

I won’t repeat the things that were said but let me tell you that ten years in the Navy did not prepare me for the things my fellow geocachers had to say.

Redneckgal had landed on WildlifeMagnet, fortunately for her (though not so fortunate for him) and was the only one who could actually walk away, though with a pronounced limp and a slight facial tic.

Red only made it three steps before “aaaiiieeeee!” then “sploosh” rent the air. When her head appeared it was obvious that we had been particularly unlucky and had hit the ground just feet from a pond that would better have broken our fall. Though we could see her only intermittently we knew Red was okay because we could hear her each time she came up for air. Really, I never knew Christian girls could cuss like that.

Reg3 was able to crawl to the pool’s edge and grab Red’s hair on one of her surface excursions, and with help from Keymaker pulled her to safety.

By this time I had my breath back and could sit up. Something is badly awry. Something stinks. Badly. I ask Reg3 and Keymaker to throw her back in, but they said that this particular stench wasn’t her.

HammerJane’s mewling and whimpering appeared to be close, so we started crawling in her direction.

Have you ever considered the words “muck” and “mire”? The ground around this putrid pond was hip-deep muck and we were mired down in the foulest gunk your imagination might create when considering those words.

There IS no bathtub, just this foul pond, fed by a roaring stream that could only be Nashville’s sewer main.

Perseverance, people; we are geocachers, nobodies dead yet, press on.

No cache. We encircle this nasty water pit and no cache to be found. Underwater? Surely he wouldn’t hide it underwater? Would he?? We draw straws to see who must reach into this horrid place to see if it is in fact submerged.

FOUND IT! Yes! TNLNSL. Now to get out of this vile place.

A call goes out for someone to take the rope back up to the truck. Rambler keeps very quiet. Intrepid cacher Reg3 bravely volunteers, in the face of almost certain death, to ascend the cliff with our rope and secure it from above. Or maybe it was Keymaker saying “Take the @#$%^ rope or I will kill you where you stand” that inspired him.

Two hours pass with only rocks and leaves falling from above before we hear him scrambling back down to us. He said he had returned to show us that the rope was indeed securely tied to the Suburban’s rear bumper and was long enough and that we could now ascend safely.

HammerJane had remained curled in a fetal ball all this time, but now it was incumbent upon her to climb, as we could not carry her. When RogerWilco finally coaxed her to straighten out we saw that she hadn’t been curled in a fetal ball at all – she was bent over holding a snake that was firmly attached to her leg!

With Redneckgal’s hands torn and bleeding, and the worsening tic making us think maybe she had some brain damage, and with HammerJane’s numerous injuries and attached snake, it was decided that we would let the girls go up first…not that we didn’t trust Reg3’s knot tying, but rather so we could catch them if they fell. Really.

As the bright white moons of Red and Hammer dissipate up into the wet black sky we menfolk manfully restrain ourselves from pointing and giggling, knowing that each will be closely following the man before him. Climb too fast and your face is up close and personal, climb too slow and the guy below you is gonna have his face in your butt. None of us has showered in 36 hours. We decide to make loops in the rope a decent distance apart for each man’s wrist, and in that manner keep our distance and dignity.

We are fifty feet off the ground when we hear the truck start.

The rest of the story can only be told with certainty by Lewis the security guard, who witnessed the girls speeding off in the Suburban, closely followed by a string of naked men, hollering loudly and apparently trying to ski. He reports that as we cleared the cliff face we flew 10’ in the air and came down sliding. In the brief moments as we skidded by him I could hear him shouting "I am going to have to take down your names!", then we were long past him.

I don’t remember much of anything after the sickening up-elevator feel of that rope taking off, but me, KeyMaker, Reg3, WildlifeMagnet and RogerWilco are gonna give those girls a piece of our minds if we ever see them again.

And Joe. Well, all I can tell Joe is “watch your back”!

When you run across a cache with logs like that, which is my log on one of my favorites, you can pretty much figure out that it's a liar's cache! :huh: Surely anyone can see the fun in a cache like that :anitongue:

I have found one 'liar' cache. My log was technically truthful.

The Gauntlet cache in Lake Delton, Wi was done in fun and wasn't a controversey for many a cacher, myself included! It wasn't until some cry babies from Minnesota came to run the Gauntlet and were so embarrased that they got duped that the Gauntlet was exposed. I challenge you to email anyone of the cachers who found the Gauntlet and ask them if it was a bad cache.

As for the one who goes out of their way to out liars caches, I hope you stop geocaching really, really soon! You are obviously too wound up to just enjoy geocaching the way it's meant to be enjoyed and that is to go to a place that someone else wants to share. If you find the cache they have stashed and feel their rating/hide/write up wasn't to your liking, you'll complain. Seriously, nobody cares about you or your petty issues so stop geocaching. Maybe you'd be better off just standing in a checkout line at a super market arguing with the clerk because he/she won't double your 10 cents off coupon. That seems more up your alley!!

I have found one 'liar' cache. My log was technically truthful.

The Gauntlet cache in Lake Delton, Wi was done in fun and wasn't a controversey for many a cacher, myself included! It wasn't until some cry babies from Minnesota came to run the Gauntlet and were so embarrased that they got duped that the Gauntlet was exposed. I challenge you to email anyone of the cachers who found the Gauntlet and ask them if it was a bad cache.

As for the one who goes out of their way to out liars caches, I hope you stop geocaching really, really soon! You are obviously too wound up to just enjoy geocaching the way it's meant to be enjoyed and that is to go to a place that someone else wants to share. If you find the cache they have stashed and feel their rating/hide/write up wasn't to your liking, you'll complain. Seriously, nobody cares about you or your petty issues so stop geocaching. Maybe you'd be better off just standing in a checkout line at a super market arguing with the clerk because he/she won't double your 10 cents off coupon. That seems more up your alley!!

Yes, more proof... We're all told to play the game how we want until it violates the way you play the game. As far as being wound up, try stepping through your own vile words above and then ask the question about who's being the evil child that can't control their emotions.. seriously. Read the YOUR OWN WORDS above and then tell me you don't have anger issues.

BTW, the geocacher that really outted the Gauntlet hasn't cached in months and happens to be deployed overseas fighting for your right to spout off like a child.

As for the one who goes out of their way to out liars caches, I hope you stop geocaching really, really soon! You are obviously too wound up to just enjoy geocaching the way it's meant to be enjoyed

how fortunate it is that you have been appointed the arbiter of "how geocaching i meant to be enjoyed".

Otay, here's the note I put in a cache today:

Geocachers, let's have some fun!

When you log this cache online please make up the wildest funniest story you can come up with about finding this cache.

Please read the logs of the cachers before you and try to extend the story.

It will be interesting to see how cachers respond. :)

Chill Pill Time!

This a great thread, so let's don't start Flaming.

I still don't know the Cache # Someone please post this info, as I said in a earlier response I would love to read the log entries.

Got my first response. In the cache, I instructed just make subliminal clues. After a while if nobody exaggerates it, I will chage the not to 'full blown sightings', but just waiting to see how it starts off first.

See GC1R5MA or I made an Acronym:

G

C

Real

5range

Monster

Advisory

hope it takes off!!! :)

I've done one Liar's cache so far. The initial write up was fun to read, and when I started it, it seemed like a normal puzzle cache where you gather numbers from several different locations, and then at one of the locations it will tell you how to arrange the numbers for the final cache. When I got to the final cache, and found out what it really was, then is when it got hard. Now I had to try to make up a story to go along with the hunt. I definitely had to think a while before writing up the log, but overall it was a fun cache.

I was caching my way ‘round Nashville at 4 a.m. this rainy morning with the Butt-Kicking Cache Getters (Team BKCG on cacheleague.com) when one of our number spied [cache name redacted for this post] cache on her GPS. Since it was close and we were after fast, easy caches we decided to go for it.

When we got to the site we realized immediately that this was no fast, easy cache, but we were there, and none of us willing to back down and look like a wuss in front of the rest.

Edit... [ stuff removed. MUCH stuff removed]

I don’t remember much of anything after the sickening up-elevator feel of that rope taking off, but me, KeyMaker, Reg3, WildlifeMagnet and RogerWilco are gonna give those girls a piece of our minds if we ever see them again.

And Joe. Well, all I can tell Joe is “watch your back”!

When you run across a cache with logs like that, which is my log on one of my favorites, you can pretty much figure out that it's a liar's cache! :) Surely anyone can see the fun in a cache like that :(

WOW! Really?!? That is just amazing. I want a cache just like that one!!

:D:D:D

:)

Edited by knowschad

Bob... Bart... to your corners! :):D

Seriously, Bobcat... I was not a part of that trip, so I think that I can speak from a somewhat neutral stance. Its not uncommon for folks in your neck of the woods to make trips down to the Dells area or even further, from what I understand. Aside from the Twin Cities, that is where you cache concentration is. Our cache concentration is right here in the Twin Cities. The idea of renting a van, travelling to SE Wisconsin, getting a motel and all that primarily for one cache is a bit of an investment, both financially and, in the case of expecting to get to try the Cache of a Lifetime... its an emotional investment as well.

It has been said that "your disappoinment is relative to your expectations" and I think this is what set off that whole keg of powder. Yeah, they should have smelled the smoke (I did, Bart did) but frankly, they were pissed! They failed to see the humor. Sure, if they had driven across town (or a couple ofhours, even), then it might be different, but I think I can see where those guys were coming from.

That said, bflentje was NOT along on that trip, and did NOT "out" that cache in any way.

As a storyteller by profession, I love these caches. So yes....I participate in them. If nothing else, it encourages some to write more than "tftc."

As the owner of 100+ caches, I would always encourage this. The bigger and longer the story the better. But I would never try to decieve someone into wasting their time, money and effort. That's the bottom line.

As a storyteller by profession, I love these caches. So yes....I participate in them. If nothing else, it encourages some to write more than "tftc."

As the owner of 100+ caches, I would always encourage this. The bigger and longer the story the better. But I would never try to decieve someone into wasting their time, money and effort. That's the bottom line.

I call spin on your post. :)

In the context of your post, you act as if every so called liars cache has the ulterior motive to be a money and time waster. That's just allll kinds of incorrect. :D

These caches are about fun as all caches are. Some folks get the fun and some don't. You apparently don't.

Specifically addressing the fiasco you brought up on this thread, even that cache had no ulterior motive to cause people to waste money. The time was only wasted if they didn't enjoy it and it was their time to spend and their choice.... It seems to me that folks in your own community KNEW it was all a tall tale, but they let them go down and see for themselves.... I wonder whyyy....?

:D

:(

"their" not "there"

"English" not "Enlish"

I got over it. B)

Apparently not. Did you understand the meaning of the post? The word "pedant" comes to mind when reading your responses.

Back to the topic... When I was working a 3 month contract job in CT, there was a very creative cache hider who gave me many hours of fun with his unique hides. Some of them were "liar's caches."

One of the best for me was done on the day before I left for my next job in AZ. The "suggestion" was to really trash the cache in your log. Talk about how terrible it was. I said it was so bad I couldn't stand to even be near it anymore and I would be thousands of miles away within a few days...

Silly. Immature. Pointless. And I laughed at my own joke all the way to Illinois. (Thanks, The Ax!)

[it is not fine with me if i plan a weekend around doing a challenging cache and get there to find that it would properly be rated 1/1 and i have wasted my time.

Well put. Let's consider for a moment the extreme inverse. A 5/5 cache that claims to be a 1/1. Maybe somebody actually dies from a fall from a cliff, rather than dying from boredom in a parking lot.

OK... too philosophical. That seems to be about as far as I can take it after 3 beers. Might try again tomorrow.

sounds like fun to me.

It seems to me that folks in your own community KNEW it was all a tall tale, but they let them go down and see for themselves.... I wonder whyyy....?

I *believe* that they actually contacted the cache owner before making the trip, stating their concerns, and were reassurred that the cache was not a liar's cache.

I think that if I were to put out a liar's cache, I'd probably say something on the cache page along the lines of "Anyone making a significant investment of time and/or money to visit this cache please email me in advance so I can make sure that it will be available", and then tell them the truth in my reply email.

GCHZKB: The Gauntlet.. Let the Games Begin!!

Would be the cache of recent interest in this thread. I had it on my watch list for a while...always enjoyed the posts...until that one fateful day...oh well, one waits to long and things can slip away...I should have gone for it with a group of friends about two weeks before the events that...well ended this one...really sorry to see it go...

I call spin on your post. :(

Call it what you want. I call your posts combatative. No one cares what you or I think.

In the context of your post, you act as if every so called liars cache has the ulterior motive to be a money and time waster. That's just allll kinds of incorrect. :D

No. That's something you made up in your head just to prolong the angst in this thread.

These caches are about fun as all caches are. Some folks get the fun and some don't. You apparently don't.

I LOVE challenging caches. check out my profile. I don't like being decieved or lied to. Again, I don't care what you think.. you see, I play the game the way I like B);):huh:

Specifically addressing the fiasco you brought up on this thread, even that cache had no ulterior motive to cause people to waste money. The time was only wasted if they didn't enjoy it and it was their time to spend and their choice.... It seems to me that folks in your own community KNEW it was all a tall tale, but they let them go down and see for themselves.... I wonder whyyy....?

Gee, I wonder too, especially when it's already been clarified on how the deceit was revealed. Someone's not paying attention here..

I call spin on your post. :(

Call it what you want. I call your posts combatative. No one cares what you or I think.

:) Seriously, it shows lack of maturity to say no one cares what you or I think. I go to lots of events and I constantly get mentions of my forum posts here. For good or ill some folks side with you or me. That's how public opinion works in an open forum.

I call spin on your post. :D

In the context of your post, you act as if every so called liars cache has the ulterior motive to be a money and time waster. That's just allll kinds of incorrect. :huh:

No. That's something you made up in your head just to prolong the angst in this thread.

I LOVE challenging caches. check out my profile. I don't like being decieved or lied to. Again, I don't care what you think.. you see, I play the game the way I like :P:D:D

Gee, I wonder too, especially when it's already been clarified on how the deceit was revealed. Someone's not paying attention here..

Rather than address you point by point I'll just say "feh" B) to the rest and address that last part...

I pay very close attention to topics that interest me. This happens to be one that interests me every time it comes around. Whether there was actual deception or not on the Gauntlet fiasco, I was in touch behind the scenes at the time to find out the real story in as much as I could from a distance. I stick behind my judgment that the whole thing was contrived. It was a cache weekend with many other caches found that ended in buyers remorse and they had a handy scapegoat to pin their angst on. That's the way I see it and I won't claim unseen others side with me. If a thing is pointy, has a handle, and might be useful for digging, I'm gonna call it a spade.;):D

Edited by Snoogans

:D Seriously, it shows lack of maturity to say no one cares what you or I think. I go to lots of events and I constantly get mentions of my forum posts here. For good or ill some folks side with you or me. That's how public opinion works in an open forum.

Still resorting to the old debaters tricks. Can't accept or counter my point of view so the combativeness continues. :(

Edited by bflentje

So... what's the result of this "survey"? :laughing:

Ummmm...

The majority of cachers get the fun, some don't get it, and some opt out for personal reasons.

Oh annnnd....

The ones that don't get it are the most entertaining. :laughing::laughing::o

Fun is.. so.. relative. Some of us don't get the fun?? You mean, some of us have different definitions of fun. Jeepers... :laughing: