Survey: Who participates in 'Liar Caches'?

Nothing on the web page about it, but you get to it and open it to find 'Special Instructions' to make up a story about a cryptozoological creature. Who would go ahead, and are you a new or experienced cacher?

I dislike the term "liar caches." How is telling a tall tale lying when we're all adults and know the difference? :ph34r:

Lying hides a motive. :P Telling a tall tale is just FUN! :unsure:

I would participate. :P

Of course, this thread will probably start a whole ALR debate, but as long as you let the odd TNLNSL party pooper log stand, you can enjoy the entries of the folks that do understand the fun of spinning a tale. :D

BTW- I know of a cache that's written up as a hard micro in the woods. :P:ph34r::unsure:

When you get there it's a 2.5 gallon commercial condiment container painted dayglow orange and placed at eye level. Inside are instructions to spin a tale about your frustrating hunt for such a tiny cache..... FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!!! :P

:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

I have done 1 and it was great fun, because it was a great hide and because when you read the Log on finds it is VERY! interesting and just plain fun. "Half Nuts Liar's Cache" very descriptive title. GC1CGN3

Happy Finding!

Edited by BrrrMo

I've never done a liars cache, and I never would....

:laughing:

:lol:

B)

How would you know that I'm not lying about that? :D

Yes, I've done them, and I will continue to do them if I come across them. ALR ban or not, I'll still follow the intended instructions.

I've done a million of 'em.

I've done 2 million of 'em. Yea, and my girlfriend is Morgan Fairchild (ugh too old) Lucy Liu and my wife is totally fine with that. Yea, and Jeremy's me brudda. Yeaaaa, that's the ticket! Yeaaaa.... :lol:

In FACT, I invented geocaching! Yeaaaa B):laughing:

lovitz.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

I usually go out of my way to out liar's caches.

That's seriously sad. :laughing:

Yeah, we all play the game the way we like until it's played some way that's contrary to our own. Bunch a dang hypocrites (forum posters) if you ask me. Besides, liar caches are ALR and no longer allowed. If my Halloween mask ALR is considered a stupid idea by some of you then so should a liar's cache.

I usually go out of my way to out liar's caches. Some are harmless I am sure but does anyone remember the Gaunlet controvery in Lake Delton, WI?

Lame but not worth any angst from me. Lame in the way you feel when you leave the lid off your kid's sandbox and the neighborhood cats all come and leave presents in it. That kinda lame. Ya dig? :unsure::rolleyes: You're a proud kitty aren't you? Nice kit-ty. :laughing::lol:B)

And btw the Gauntlet controversy was much ado about nothing literally. :rolleyes:<_< The whole thing seemed contrived to any responsible adult. I have no sympathy for those that cried most loudly on that one. :D:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I usually go out of my way to out liar's caches.

That's seriously sad. :lol:

Yeah, we all play the game the way we like until it's played some way that's contrary to our own. Bunch a dang hypocrites (forum posters) if you ask me. Besides, liar caches are ALR and no longer allowed. If my Halloween mask ALR is considered a stupid idea by some of you then so should a liar's cache.

It's NOT an ALR if participation is voluntary. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

I dislike the term "liar caches." How is telling a tall tale lying when we're all adults and know the difference? B)

Lying hides a motive. :D Telling a tall tale is just FUN! :laughing:

I would participate. :laughing:

Of course, this thread will probably start a whole ALR debate, but as long as you let the odd TNLNSL party pooper log stand, you can enjoy the entries of the folks that do understand the fun of spinning a tale. :laughing:

Tall-tale vs. lying? Ah, but you can do both! Tell your tall tale; have fun with it. And then add, "Oh, by the way, the container was open and the log is wet. You might want to check on it". That'll get them every time. :lol: It also let's the owner play their own game by fabricating a maintenance visit.

Besides, liar caches are ALR and no longer allowed.

Do tell? When did that change come about? :laughing:

A comparison:

Cache # 1: Contains a note inside the cache requesting you participate in an activity the owner thinks would be fun.

(like telling a tall tale in your log) :D

Cache # 2: Contains a demand on the cache page requiring that you participate in an activity the owner thinks would be fun.

(like wearing a Halloween mask) B)

In accordance with the latest guidelines, can you spot which one is the ALR? :lol:

Back on topic: Of course I would! Sounds like a hoot! :laughing:

Besides, liar caches are ALR and no longer allowed.

Do tell? When did that change come about? :laughing:

A comparison:

Cache # 1: Contains a note inside the cache requesting you participate in an activity the owner thinks would be fun.

(like telling a tall tale in your log) :D

Cache # 2: Contains a demand on the cache page requiring that you participate in an activity the owner thinks would be fun.

(like wearing a Halloween mask) B)

In accordance with the latest guidelines, can you spot which one is the ALR? :lol:

Back on topic: Of course I would! Sounds like a hoot! :laughing:

Very true, this is an important distinction. Liars caches are still allowed, as are caches with "additional logging suggestions" or whatever they could be called now. Any additional requirements, er, suggestions, are just no longer enforceable. I could still hide a new liars cache, or request that finders post a picture at the cache site wearing a costume, but I couldn't require that a finder actually do so.

edited to insert generous overuse of the italics tag for emphasis

Edited by DavidMac

And btw the Gauntlet controversy was much ado about nothing literally. :laughing::laughing: The whole thing seemed contrived to any responsible adult. I have no sympathy for those that cried most loudly on that one. :laughing::lol:B):D

I was not along on the Gauntlet adventure, and I agree that they should have smelled a rat, but the fact is... they didn't, and it cost them considerable amount of money and time to learn their lesson. I think that part of what made them so angry is that it wasn't even a good cache by regular every day cache standards. I think that if you're going to risk decieving cachers with a liar's cache, at least make it a cache that they'd probably enjoy had it not been a liar's cache ('scuse me... a "Tall Tale" cache)

And btw the Gauntlet controversy was much ado about nothing literally. :rolleyes::rolleyes: The whole thing seemed contrived to any responsible adult. I have no sympathy for those that cried most loudly on that one. :laughing::lol:B):D

I was not along on the Gauntlet adventure, and I agree that they should have smelled a rat, but the fact is... they didn't, and it cost them considerable amount of money and time to learn their lesson. I think that part of what made them so angry is that it wasn't even a good cache by regular every day cache standards. I think that if you're going to risk decieving cachers with a liar's cache, at least make it a cache that they'd probably enjoy had it not been a liar's cache ('scuse me... a "Tall Tale" cache)

That's the part I laugh about. :laughing::laughing::laughing: As I recall some folks got together and rented a van and went on a cache trip. That particular cache wasn't the only cache they did along the way and didn't the locals throw a get together event for them as well...? :unsure:

Blaming the whole expense on that one cache after accepting the hospitality of the locals and getting a slew of other caches is where I pulled the ripcord on their side of the story. Contrived is a good adjective for that WHOLE controversy. It was childish drama seeking behavior from my point of view. <_<

Edited by Snoogans

And btw the Gauntlet controversy was much ado about nothing literally. :laughing::laughing: The whole thing seemed contrived to any responsible adult. I have no sympathy for those that cried most loudly on that one. :laughing::lol:B):D

I smelled a rat immediately and was not involved at all other than watching on the side. So in politics we're supposed to help our neighbors but not in a geocaching scam?? :laughing:

And btw the Gauntlet controversy was much ado about nothing literally. :laughing::laughing: The whole thing seemed contrived to any responsible adult. I have no sympathy for those that cried most loudly on that one. :lol:B):D:laughing:

I smelled a rat immediately and was not involved at all other than watching on the side. So in politics we're supposed to help our neighbors but not in a geocaching scam?? :rolleyes:

If you're going for the hard angle stance your first adjective is a stretch, but workable. Your second is way off base. Nice try:

Scam

n.

A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.

Do you really believe that cache owner purposely lured those folks to rent a van to go have a good time on a cache trip? Maybe they have stock in a rental company or sumthin' huh? They musta had something to gain if it was a scam....Right? <_<:rolleyes:

I don't believe I'd attempt ANY 5 star cache without first contacting the owner and reading the logs.... Ummm, and if the logs weren't consistant and I STILL didn't have a clue that folks were spinning tall tales, I believe I'd contact more than a couple of the finders.

Sorry. Poor planning and poor sportsmanship don't rate highly on my sympathy scale. :laughing:

It did take three pages of forum postings about the cache to get to the point where one person questioned the legitimacy of the cache:

About a year ago, I was reading on the gc.com forums about a cache that was extremely easy, but the joke was to write in the logs how extremely difficult it was. I can't remember which cache it was, and the directions on this cache page about following the directions or logs being deleted makes me wonder...sounds like a fun trip to do, but if I was to do it only to find out it was a joke, I'd be pretty miffed....

That had crossed my mind but today I was assured that is not the case.

If it turns out to be, would you tell us? (I can keep a secret )...

Maybe by word of mouth but the 2 MN Cachers that assured me it was real are trustworthy.

(the bold is mine)

I smelled a rat immediately and was not involved at all other than watching on the side. So in politics we're supposed to help our neighbors but not in a geocaching scam?? :laughing:

But you sure came close, buddy! :lol:

Oct 3, 2006

Can I get details about meeting Saturday morning before actually heading out? Or are you going to firm that up during the Friday dinner?
Edited by knowschad

If you're going for the hard angle stance your first adjective is a stretch, but workable. Your second is way off base. Nice try:

Scam

n.

A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.

Do you really believe that cache owner purposely lured those folks to rent a van to go have a good time on a cache trip? Maybe they have stock in a rental company or sumthin' huh? They musta had something to gain if it was a scam....Right? B):lol:

I don't believe I'd attempt ANY 5 star cache without first contacting the owner and reading the logs.... Ummm, and if the logs weren't consistant and I STILL didn't have a clue that folks were spinning tall tales, I believe I'd contact more than a couple of the finders.

Sorry. Poor planning and poor sportsmanship don't rate highly on my sympathy scale. :laughing:

You can take your typical debate tactics back to talk.origins, you're being kind of a big dork here. Bottom line is, if you check my stats, I do 4 and 5 star caches all of the time. Love em. But I ain't into any B.S. games. I smelled a rat and questioned it significantly as my friend Knowschad pointed about. It was during those firming up of plans that everything came to light. So in essence, I did everything you would have done.. :D I simply have a problem with those who dare ask questions to get sucked into something that isn't real.

I have never participated in a liars cache. I would never participate in a liars cache. But I did find a local cache that was just amazing. It was located near an abandoned mine, and required climbing gear, scuba gear, a snowmobile, and a horse. It's a good thing there were restrooms nearby...

I have never participated in a liars cache. I would never participate in a liars cache. But I did find a local cache that was just amazing. It was located near an abandoned mine, and required climbing gear, scuba gear, a snowmobile, and a horse. It's a good thing there were restrooms nearby...

It must have a D rating of 4 because you didn't need a cutting torch and metal detector. :laughing:

You can take your typical debate tactics back to talk.origins, you're being kind of a big dork here.

Nice kit-ty. Not familiar with the website mentioned but nice job on the comeback there kemosabe. I'm just all sorts of abashed and surprised that you made it personal. :laughing: /sarcasm

My post was not really about you or your stats. I don't know whyyy you took it that way. B) It was about a contrived drama situation from quite awhile ago that shouldn't have happened and my response to your take on it. You brought it up. :lol:

Now, apologies to the OP for my part in the derailment of this thread.

I remember when I first started caching, reading the logs for a particular cache (still in my "Special Caches" bookmark list) and was just fascinated by it! Oh, the experiences it spoke about! Underground bomb shelters, someone with enough money to fly cachers all over the world to partake in the adventure (I heard that the hider had won the lottery and that was where the money came from). Caves, mountains, hang gliding... my imagination soared! I bought it hook, line, and "thinker".

There was also a time that I believed that this fat dude with a red coat and white beard had reindeer that flew and could deliver presents to all children in the world in a single night.

Learning the truth about both of those were very disappointing. Just glad I didn't have to take a trip to Texas to learn the truth about one nor the North pole for the other.

What is the purpose of such a thing? I don't understand the part of a liar cache that is fun. I read through the online logs of what I thought was an extreme cache, but after a very short while I caught on that I was reading fiction. It was disappointing. And not very good fiction.

I should think that a liar cache would only be really effective if geocachers were talented writers. Based on what I read on these forums and in the online logs, I suspect that a largish number of geocachers can't write at all. I wish I could be paid a modest fee every time somebody somewhere writes "there" for "they're".

Anyway, to respond; no, I don't participate in liar caches. I do enjoy a tall-tale, or an exaggeration of the truth for entertainment purposes, but even the mere word "liar' leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I suspect that a largish number of geocachers can't write at all.

LOL! Sorry, couldn't help myself. B)

Eh, what? Nothing wrong with largish. Perfectly acceptable. I got it straight out of P. G. Wodehouse, an author who knew a thing or two about Eng. Lit. Here is the quotation:

We were tooling along about half-way between the village and the Court, when suddenly there appeared ahead of us a sea of dogs and in the middle of it young Tuppy frisking round one of those largish, corn-fed girls.

You must curb this habit of yours to LOL without due cause. A man who knows Chad should learn to help himself when it comes to LOLing. Think of Chad. What would he say? :laughing:

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread, which I believe was about the entertainment value of liar caches. I can understand this now, though it isn't something I want to participate in. As you can see by my own posts, I tend to put on the persona of a jester of sorts when online. This involves a bit of tall-tale telling in itself, and I do it to relieve stress and entertain myself. So it would be wrong of me to criticise another form of the same activity. (Yes, I know I spelled criticise wrong. I dislike the letter z and avoid it whenever possible. Weird, huh?)

I think Snoogans said earlier that he doesn't like the term "liar cache". Neither do I. (Of course, he may have been lying when he said that.) Lying is bad. Spinning a yarn in the spirit of fun is fine with me. So, spin on, O friends, spin with care. Spin in the presence of the passenjare.

("passenjare". Perfecly acceptable. You can find it in the aforementioned P. G. Wodehouse, as well as in some selected works of Mark Twain. :lol: )

I think that they're clever but need to be implemented in a rational manner so that people don't think "wow this is this amazing cache that I HAVE to see" but more "Why are all these weirdo logs appearing on this cache??" Both are compelling reasons to visit a cache but the former would lead to disappointment while the latter would lead to a sense of being let in on the joke.

I've never seen one of these but I firmly plan on implementing one with the following stipulations: 1) it will be in a tremendous spot so that people will not be disappointed having gone there and 2) the lies requested will be such that people don't think it's anything endemic to the cache's location or fantastic qualities etc. Instead it will probably be a tear-off set of ideas for stories (if people want to use one) and also include a request for people to either participate or not ruin the fun for others in their logs. I think that in proper execution, these have vast potential to add fun to a hobby that is quite diverse with the avenues of fun and participation.

EDIT: The personal nature of the post added nothing and I am removing it. Apologies to the poster I addressed specifically.

Edited by mrbort

I remember when I first started caching, reading the logs for a particular cache (still in my "Special Caches" bookmark list) and was just fascinated by it! Oh, the experiences it spoke about! Underground bomb shelters, someone with enough money to fly cachers all over the world to partake in the adventure (I heard that the hider had won the lottery and that was where the money came from). Caves, mountains, hang gliding... my imagination soared! I bought it hook, line, and "thinker".

There was also a time that I believed that this fat dude with a red coat and white beard had reindeer that flew and could deliver presents to all children in the world in a single night.

Learning the truth about both of those were very disappointing. Just glad I didn't have to take a trip to Texas to learn the truth about one nor the North pole for the other.

:rolleyes:

dead%20santa.jpg

:laughing::lol:B):D:laughing::laughing:

:rolleyes:

dead%20santa.jpg

:laughing::lol:B):D:laughing::laughing:

Perfect!!!

Edited by knowschad

dead%20santa.jpg

Perfect!!! :laughing::lol:B):D:laughing::laughing:

I've always pictured the folks that are compelled to start drama over these types of caches to be like chinldren informing a room full of adults that Santa Claus IN FACT doesn't exist.

People are just wired differently. Some get the fun of it and some never will. The ratio thankfully seems to be better than 80% to 20%. Probably more like 90-10 give or take.

there's a big difference between spinning a good yarn and totally obfuscating the nature of a cache.

i was all set to go do one challenging cache; i had lined up proper equipment and accomplices to do a cache that is represented as best done with climbing gear and headlamps. the way it was described it sounded like a lot of fun.

then someone tipped us off that it's just a short walk up a gentle hill and all the logs were BS.

that was that. i'm glad we didn't drive down there for a fun adventure. it wouldn't have been fun at all. right onto the ignore list.

now that ALRs are dead, maybe i'll go do that cache and tell it like it is.

there's a big difference between spinning a good yarn and totally obfuscating the nature of a cache.

i was all set to go do one challenging cache; i had lined up proper equipment and accomplices to do a cache that is represented as best done with climbing gear and headlamps. the way it was described it sounded like a lot of fun.

then someone tipped us off that it's just a short walk up a gentle hill and all the logs were BS.

that was that. i'm glad we didn't drive down there for a fun adventure. it wouldn't have been fun at all. right onto the ignore list.

now that ALRs are dead, maybe i'll go do that cache and tell it like it is.

I can't find any raspberry icon so you just get this post. I haven't seen a liar's cache that I didn't know to be such. Just another reason not to be a rabid participant in the FTF race.

I can't find any raspberry icon so you just get this post. I haven't seen a liar's cache that I didn't know to be such. Just another reason not to be a rabid participant in the FTF race.

i only ever saw the one cache i didn't identify as a liar's cache.

it was a stable cache. at the time i was looking at it, most of the logs were plausible enough and we expected a challenge.

we expected a swamp, thorns, a cliff, and a short cave. we thought this sounded like fun.

if i spend half a day driving to look for a cache that represents itself as difficult, it'd better be difficult when i get there. otherwise i'm calling spades spades.

it is fine with me if you call a cache "well-camouflaged" and it is in fact da-glo orange with gold trim. it is also fine with me if you wish to lie egregiously in your logs to cover the true nature of existing challenges, thereby retaining the surprise.

if you want to tell me a cache is challenging and not tell me what the challenges are, fine. lies in the logs might help keep me guessing. i've seen caches that ARE challenging, but everyone lies in the logs about the nature of the challenges. you still get what you came for; a hard cache.

it is not fine with me if i plan a weekend around doing a challenging cache and get there to find that it would properly be rated 1/1 and i have wasted my time.

Edited by flask

I've always pictured the folks that are compelled to start drama over these types of caches to be like chinldren informing a room full of adults that Santa Claus IN FACT doesn't exist.

People are just wired differently. Some get the fun of it and some never will. The ratio thankfully seems to be better than 80% to 20%. Probably more like 90-10 give or take.

Loved the Santa pic, seen it before.

But just so we're clear here, I merely spoke my opinion that I'd out a liar's cache (probably wouldn't do it to a reasonable one). Twas you and the other unnamed poster that added the drama to the thread. And yes, we certainly are all wired differently.

BTW, you might want to check your dictionary for "chinldren". That one's not in my Merriam/Webster desk reference. :laughing:

[it is not fine with me if i plan a weekend around doing a challenging cache and get there to find that it would properly be rated 1/1 and i have wasted my time.

Well put. Let's consider for a moment the extreme inverse. A 5/5 cache that claims to be a 1/1. Maybe somebody actually dies from a fall from a cliff, rather than dying from boredom in a parking lot.

OK... too philosophical. That seems to be about as far as I can take it after 3 beers. Might try again tomorrow.

[it is not fine with me if i plan a weekend around doing a challenging cache and get there to find that it would properly be rated 1/1 and i have wasted my time.

Well put. Let's consider for a moment the extreme inverse. A 5/5 cache that claims to be a 1/1. Maybe somebody actually dies from a fall from a cliff, rather than dying from boredom in a parking lot.

OK... too philosophical. That seems to be about as far as I can take it after 3 beers. Might try again tomorrow.

That explains the lying spilling over into another thread.. :laughing::lol: