Just Musing ...

I spent quite a few years working in the sign industry when I was a bit younger. The company I worked for specialized in sandblasted stone signage, usually for golf courses but we also did plenty of commercial and residential signage too. We made our share of polished stone signs but our real niche was natural boulder signage, often made from indigenous stone from the immediate area.

After about a year of doing this I couldn't seem to look at a large stone or boulder without considering what kind of sign it would make. I could be hiking along one of the most breathtaking mountain rivers you could imagine and I'd be looking for the perfect sign blank. :unsure:

I'm better now. I can walk in the woods and actually see the forest for the tree .. uh .. boulders, but since I started Geocaching I can't seem to walk down a street anymore without looking for a perfect place to hide a cache.

How 'bout you? Has this hobby changed the way you look at the world around you?

Pete

I spent quite a few years working in the sign industry when I was a bit younger. The company I worked for specialized in sandblasted stone signage, usually for golf courses but we also did plenty of commercial and residential signage too. We made our share of polished stone signs but our real niche was natural boulder signage, often made from indigenous stone from the immediate area.

After about a year of doing this I couldn't seem to look at a large stone or boulder without considering what kind of sign it would make. I could be hiking along one of the most breathtaking mountain rivers you could imagine and I'd be looking for the perfect sign blank. :unsure:

I'm better now. I can walk in the woods and actually see the forest for the tree .. uh .. boulders, but since I started Geocaching I can't seem to walk down a street anymore without looking for a perfect place to hide a cache.

Pete

It was a hobby turned business - Screenprinting.

Can't look at a t-shirt (with a design) and think of the inks and screens used or how it could have been done better... :|

What really changed me was working for an old well-known store (that sells craftsman) and working for a well-known electronics store (that use to make "tandy" computers).

Never worked where I had to deal with the public again........

Must be why I don't cache with a group.. :ph34r::P

It's starting for me already, and I am new! I am telling myself this will get better once I have actually hidden a cache, but I am not so sure :ph34r:

My other problem is, when I go somewhere like a park or hiking trail, and I see someone standing around looking at the bushes, I no longer think they want to take a leak or have lost something, I wonder if they're geocaching. All geocachers should wear some sort of sign of what they are doing, so we can give eachother the secret handshake :unsure:

All geocachers should wear some sort of sign of what they are doing, so we can give eachother the secret handshake :unsure:

Great idea...we should develop some sort of universal hand signal that we can flash at possible cachers and if they flash the correct return signal then we know they are geocachers...No birds please.

Yep, that was one of the first things that made me realize that like many I'm addicted. I can't help seeing every tree with a hole in it or every tree stump as a potential hide location. Or lately trees have been more in focus for me thinking whether they'd make a good climbing challenge or not.

I don't feel to bad because I know I'm not alone. I cache a lot with my nephews and about a week ago we were walking along a trail and returning from finding another cache and he runs off the trail to check an old stump hoping to find a cache that maybe hadn't been published yet. :unsure:

Pete

Yep, always lookin' to hide, always lookin' for great cache containers, always lookin' for fun travel bug ideas..... I've got the swag angle nailed, so I don't look for that as much anymore, but I can't resist buying theme items for NEW caches. :lol:

BTW if I hid every container I've collected, I'd be the most prolific hider on gc.com by at least a few hundred. :laughing: My wife is NOT amused. B)

All geocachers should wear some sort of sign of what they are doing, so we can give eachother the secret handshake :laughing:

Great idea...we should develop some sort of universal hand signal that we can flash at possible cachers and if they flash the correct return signal then we know they are geocachers...No birds please.

We need a Markwell over here at table 5, please.

Pete

YES...DEFINITELY!!!

I've yet to place or even find my first cache; but while driving down the road as a passenger in my husband's vehicle, I find myself looking around at locations that might be a good place to hide something. :laughing:

I only learned about geocaching on May 8, 2009 after watching one of my YouTube friend's videos about a hunt she went on with 2 children. After watching the video, I didn't think it was something in which I could get interested. Since she provided a link to Geocaching.com, I figured I check it out to read more about her hobby.

The first thing I did when I got to the website was to enter my ZIP Code. I was AMAZED there were so many geocaches fairly close to where I live. That's when the addiction began to take hold of me. I immediately registered a free account, then joined this forum the following day. Now I'm thinking a Premium account would be worth the price. :lol:

I do have a little story I want to share, but that will be in another thread.

All geocachers should wear some sort of sign of what they are doing, so we can give eachother the secret handshake :laughing:

Please... can I get a Markwell?

:lol:

I wish I knew what this is supposed to mean. :laughing:

There is a secret greeting, but everyone's too lazy to look it up. "Markwell" is a geocaching forums code for posting a link to a different thread. So-called because the geocacher Markwell is famous for doing it often. Edited by J-Way

I wish I knew what this is supposed to mean. :laughing:

There is a secret greeting, but everyone's too lazy to look it up. "Markwell" is a geocaching forums code for posting a link to a different thread. So-called because the geocacher Markwell is famous for doing it often.

Why didn't you simply Markwell that? :lol:

My other problem is, when I go somewhere like a park or hiking trail, and I see someone standing around looking at the bushes, I no longer think they want to take a leak or have lost something, I wonder if they're geocaching. All geocachers should wear some sort of sign of what they are doing, so we can give eachother the secret handshake :laughing:

I found a cache in some real tall weeds in an undeveloped part of a large public park near here. I just happened to come out of those weeds right in front of a couple of other fellows. They looked kind of funny at me so I waved my hand under my nose a couple of times and said "You DONT want to go back there for awhile."

One of them grinned and said he hoped I hadn't wiped myself with the log. :lol: 'Bout then I noticed the compass bezel on the screen of his cell phone and we all had a good laugh. Less than two weeks ago I was totally unaware of geocaching. Now I'm amazed by how many people I know who are rabid about it. I'm also a little miffed by the fact that they kept it to themselves for so long.

Pete

Edited by Curioddity

Oh yes!

Everytime we go into a store, my hubby and I look for things that would make good cache containers, or swag, and even when we're out in the woods NOT caching, we talk about what places would be good to hide caches, and investigate places that just might have a cache already...

Every vacation or trip we make gets planned with caching in mind also.

-Roz