Gift Ideas for a Geocacher

sqburke

My dad's a huge geocacher (850 caches) and has a birthday coming up. I'd like to give him a gift that would add to his love of this sport... any ideas? He already has a few geocoins and travelbugs... and has hidden some clever caches. He really likes caching because of the more complex puzzles that need to be solved...

Thanks!

Nothing says "I love you" more than an ammo can :unsure:

Seriously though, I would think a day out caching with his kid would be present enough. I don't know what physical condition your Dad is in, but going out on a hike of any length, finding a dozen caches, with friends and/or family would probably be a blast for him.

One year my wife solved a relatively difficult Puzzle cache for me and then treated me to the drive/hike out to the site for the find. We actually DNF'd it on the first try, but that's still one of my favorite caching related Birthday presents :ph34r:

Nothing says "I love you" more than an ammo can :laughing:

Seriously though, I would think a day out caching with his kid would be present enough. I don't know what physical condition your Dad is in, but going out on a hike of any length, finding a dozen caches, with friends and/or family would probably be a blast for him.

One year my wife solved a relatively difficult Puzzle cache for me and then treated me to the drive/hike out to the site for the find. We actually DNF'd it on the first try, but that's still one of my favorite caching related Birthday presents :laughing:

:lol:B)Black Box as I recall. But I thought she solves all your puzzles. :laughing:

[boy. Is this reply going to get me in trouble. :D ]

Just kidding, Touchstone.

BTW, I totally agree that spending a day caching with your dad is a winner. :laughing:

As a Dad, I would be happy if my daughter and I shared a caching experience. She usually puts up with me, and is willing to go on hikes that just happen to include caches -- but a birthday event would be fun. In fact, since I come from a non-caching family, maybe I can convince them to let me choose a caching expedition for my birthday! And if they solved a few puzzles for me, that would be even better.

You could put together a personalized cd of music to drive to a cache by and design a nice cover for the case.

Geocoins are always fun and fairly low-budget even if your father already has a few. I have given my daughter a couple when I have seen some with themes she might be particularly interested in. I have gotten nice water bottles and handy flashlights, both of which come in handy. Not too long ago, I saw a low cost caching "tool" on ebay that is supposed to help you get caches in spider infested areas (like guard rails) -- I can't say if it works or not. But look around there. . . .

Of course, if you happen to have a larger budget than my daughter, there are lots of gadgets . . . .

I also thought about how a local cacher needed to call in for rescue last year, luckily he was not hiking alone. Since that experience, he gave me a whistle and told me I should be carrying it in case something happens on a long hike. It might seem weird, but it could prove useful . . . .

My dad's a huge geocacher (850 caches) and has a birthday coming up. I'd like to give him a gift that would add to his love of this sport... any ideas? He already has a few geocoins and travelbugs... and has hidden some clever caches. He really likes caching because of the more complex puzzles that need to be solved...

Thanks!

I don't know what your budget is, but a SPOT Messenger might add some safety on treks to the really tough caches. I've had mine for about a year now and it has provided some comfort for the family when I go after the remote caches in the backcountry (and get behind schedule trying to avoid a DNF!). Check out the SPOT homepage for a description.

Thanks!

I don't know what your budget is, but a SPOT Messenger might add some safety on treks to the really tough caches. I've had mine for about a year now and it has provided some comfort for the family when I go after the remote caches in the backcountry (and get behind schedule trying to avoid a DNF!). Check out the SPOT homepage for a description.

Thanks!

Thanks!