ID card if stopped by the police while geocaching.

With technology these days, anybody can make up an official looking ID card.

I think an informational card would be a good idea, though, as a compact way of carrying information. A brochure and a verbal explanation would probably be best.

I've never been questioned by a cop while geocaching, but I suppose it would be best just to explain what you're doing.

Just better to always tell the police EXACTLY what you doing if confronted about geocaching. Don't lie, don't tell a half-truth. They could have been watching you for a while and if you lie to them, they will very hostile and suspicious to you.

Exactly.

Fact is, your local community should have been in contact with the locals already.

We were stopped by the cops once. It was at night at a park and ride. We had already found the cache and I was just returning it to the fence post up a small hill with a flashlight. Bam a cop pulls up with his lights going and lights me up with a spot light and his hand on his gun. He was very worried about what I was doing. I had my 13 year old daughter in the car and my 75 year old mom as well. He asked what was I doing up there going to the bath room? I said NO. I almost felt he was going to pull his gun and he told me to put my hands on my head and walk to the car. Then he had me put my hands on the car. He asked again what I was doing and I started to explain. If I had tried to pull out a card it would not have probibly been good. My daughter tried to open the door of our car and he said not to come out. I explained it to him and he said he had never heard of it and what would I think if I seen someone with a flashlight up there? WHAT? I was thinking I wouldn't think much of it. I told him it was all over the world and we had just returned from hawaii caching. He then questioned my daughter and mom that we were really just playing a game. Then he asked what he needed to try it out. He was cool at the end and said to go find it and I told him we already did. Man was that one crazy cop. I think like others said just be honest and cool and it will all work out. He thanked me for being understanding. My sister is a parole officer they are just people and treat them the same. This don't only go for geocaching but at any time with dealing with cops. I have found if you are cool and respectful it will go a long way. I have gotten out of a few tickets just by being cool and honest. Most are just trying to do there job and get threw there day just like we are at work.

If you really want cards to be out there for everyone maybe make a bunch up how you like them and sell them on something like Ebay and see how it goes.

Remember that it's a cop's JOB to investigate suspicious activity, and stealthy geocaching can look pretty suspicious, especially at night or near an international border.

When stopped, smile and explain the game. Show him your GPSer, or offer to launch the app on your phone. I usually have a printed chart of my stats in the car, but that's not the first thing I would show them. Once you have their interest, then you can proudly explain your counties and states and D/T chart.

When a cop checks you out while caching, it's an opportunity to educate him about the game, which is a Good Thing™. In any case, this isn't the best time to make an issue of your Constitutional rights - save that for when you haven't been seen poking around in electrical boxes and bushes.

Just better to always tell the police EXACTLY what you doing if confronted about geocaching. Don't lie, don't tell a half-truth. They could have been watching you for a while and if you lie to them, they will very hostile and suspicious to you.

Exactly.

Fact is, your local community should have been in contact with the locals already.

I agree. When myself and a few friends started geocaching we had a discussion with the local CLEO who also was our County's former Game Warden. It was easy, but most of us were all members of the same sportsmans club, and a few are former LEO's also. But still, the use of common sense while geocaching does not warrant a Police officer to have to be asking you questions about what you are doing in most cases. I'll pass on a bad hide if it will attract attention to me. :ph34r:

NEWER ever play smart or clever to a cob,

just short friendly polite ansvers,

be honost, you are not doing anything illegal,

so offcourse he is supposed to be nice and friendly back.

I dont bring any kinds of ID where I am not supposed to have it,

I am more affraight to loose it, than to not have it, if I need it.

I got talked to today, cop spotted me after I ended up sticking the ammo box in my back seat ( I put it back when he left) but a lone young guy and his dog walking with an ammo box is kinda suspicious apparently. I told him the dog had to do its business. This cop was just being nice as it looked like I had car trouble I suppose and the person who hid the cache hid it in a known dumping area ( in a tree no less), most cops are understanding and If you explain nicely usually they will understand. HOWEVER..if you hide a cache at a state park or national one always inform the rangers, if not a lone ammo box looks really suspicious when they find it and they do controlled burns in some areas as well.

Edited by Saw_Bones

I've had a few police encounters while geocaching, and being honest and direct has always worked well for me. But my favorite encounter was the time I approached a police officer because I thought I looked suspicious.

I had just pulled into an empty parking, and parked all the way down at the other end. Before I had even gotten out of my car, a police car pulled in at the other end of the lot, and stopped. I assumed that the officer was looking to see what I was up to, so I left my car, GPSr in hand, and walked down to where the police car was parked.

As I approached the car, I noticed the police officer wasn't even looking at me. As I got close to the car, she looked up from whatever she had been doing, and rolled her window down. I told her that I had assumed she was watching me to see what I was up to, so I wanted to let her know. She explained that she hadn't even noticed me until I approached her car, but then she saw where my car was parked, and said "Well, what are you doing?".

So I asked her if she had ever heard of geoaching and showed her my GPSr. She hadn't heard of it, but was very intrigued, and asked if she could help me look for the cache. She drove down and parked near my car, and following my GPRs, we reached ground zero a short distance away. We began to search, and within a few moments she had spotted the cache (before I did) and said "Is that it?".

I opened it up, showed her the log, and then signed it. She was pretty pleased that she had found the cache, and really liked the whole idea of geocaching. She was surprised when I told her how many caches there were in her town, and where a few of them were located.

We chatted for a bit, and then she got a call and had to rush off, lights flashing.

It was at that point that I realized that in my haste to explain what I was up to that I had locked my keys in the car. :rolleyes:

I have a Tee shirt that says I'm a member of the olympic drinking team. Perhaps I should have a membership card as well? Bottom line, the officer either knows about geocaching or they don't. I have been stopped 2 or 3 times by LEOs. Fortunately for me, each one knew something about geocaching. I think that if you have a 2 sentence answer to the question " what are you doing" that's going to serve you much better. In this type of situation, suddenly reaching into your pocket/caching bag/backpack could easily be misconstrued. Act as you really are. A law abiding citizen. Most cops learn to be fairly accurate judges of character. Your additude will telegraph as much information as your words.

I spent 30 years as a cop. If someone showed that kind of id it would be good for a huge laugh in the station house as we worked on some way to make this idiots night miserable.

Why would he be in the station house? I've spent 18 years as a cop. If someone is just "acting suspicious" in my state you can question them (they aren't required by law to show ID, or even carry it), but they don't have to respond to your questions. You certainly can't take them to the station and grill them, and you can't detain them without charging them with something. I like the brochure idea myself, better than a card.

SC requires GPS coordinates on accident reports, and a few years ago gave a GPS to every trooper, and a lot of smaller departments. I know several cops that geocache, or used to. It's becoming more mainstream now, a lot more than it was in 2002 when I started. Odds are someone around here knows something about it, so I'm not worried.

There have been a few occasions I’ve pulled into a parking lot and there was a cop sitting in their cruiser. I’ll park my car as usual... I’ll even park so s/he can easily see my plate number. If they want to call my plate in, I’ll make it easy to do so. I’ve gotten out of my car and proceeded to find the cache in the nearby bushes or woodlot. Never had any problems. In fact, I wouldn’t have minded if they did ask what I was doing, it’ll give me a chance to explain geocaching to them and perhaps get another one interested in the activity. :)

...realized that in my haste to explain what I was up to that I had locked my keys in the car. :rolleyes:

And just where is the cop (with a slim-jim) when you need one? :lol:

I know! I was like ... "Wait! Come back!" :lol:

After a call to AAA and an hour wait, I was back on my way. Interestingly, I saw the same police officer later when I stopped to do some Waymarking. She waved at me on her way by.

I think we need to come up with some sort of standard identification and explanation that we can show to a police officer if we are stopped while hunting for a geocache.

I am a LEO and don't know of any member that does not know about Geo-caching. If they really don't know have them look up geocaching.com they have computers :-)

wi is a do not identify state which means you are not required to inform the officer who you are or even show ID unless you are being detained or arrested for committing a crime therefore i will not worry about police confrontations, some friends of mine proved that fact in madison wi where some police officers threatened arrest if they did not provide ID shortly after that madison PD lost a lawsuit based on the do not identify law i have always been on the side of the street of never talk to the police just for one little saying they like to say "anything can and will be used against you" but that is me i have no issue with police i have 4 family members who are police so i kind of know more ins and outs than the normal person but this is just my opinion and my practices

A word of warning - do not take legal advice from someone who thinks they know the law simply because they have relatives who are police officers. Legal knowledge is not passed on thru DNA. Having a relative who is a police officer does not mean the person is told all the legal rulings concerning stop and detention. Also do not take legal advice because someone knows someone who has a friend who had a run in and sued and won. There's a whole lot more to civil suits than just knowing someone who has sued. Taking such as advice could get someone held in custody while an investigation is being conducted.

Regardless what some people think their state law says the US Supreme Court, which overrules state laws and people's opinions, has long held that police can detain while investigating suspicious activity which would lead them to believe a crime has been or is being committed. For example, if an area has been hit with burglaries (and what area in the US hasn't had burglaries) if the police find someone who appears they could be casing a location then that would be reasonable suspicion to detain and check further for possible criminal activity.

So let's play the game and we'll see how reasonable suspicion of possible criminal activity develops. An area has some crime problem be it burglaries, peeping toms, vandalism, trash dumping, trespassers, child pervert, etc. Someone sees a person walking near their property looking thru bushes, pacing back and forth, standing for periods of time, then pacing again while looking thru bushes, on poles, etc. Do we have a burglar casing homes? Or a cacher? At this point could be either or neither. The police arrive and ask what's going on. They could say "I'm caching. Here's my GPS, here's what geocaching is, here's where there's suppose to be a cache hidden." All reasonable answers that can be verified. All go on their way. But the person decides they're going to be an street attorney and listen to someone that knows someone who took Civic 101 in high school and watched Nancy Grace on TV therefore that person must be a legal expert. When asked what's going on the person replies they don't have to answer any questions and it's no one's business. So do we still have a burglar casing homes or a cacher? Who knows but more suspicious activity due to the response. So what's in your pocket? GPS or a gun? Now we have a Terry Stop and you can be frisked. If you don't know what a Terry Stop is then check the US Supreme Court rulings. Long time ruling that lets police stop and frisk for weapons on a person acting if they have or about to commit some crime.

So a person can decide if they want the contact to last a couple of minutes or a couple of hours. Your choice.

Edited by Wadcutter

A word of warning - do not take legal advice from someone who thinks they know the law simply because they have relatives who are police officers. Legal knowledge is not passed on thru DNA. Having a relative who is a police officer does not mean the person is told all the legal rulings concerning stop and detention. Also do not take legal advice because someone knows someone who has a friend who had a run in and sued and won. There's a whole lot more to civil suits than just knowing someone who has sued. Taking such as advice could get someone held in custody while an investigation is being conducted.

Regardless what some people think their state law says the US Supreme Court, which overrules state laws and people's opinions, has long held that police can detain while investigating suspicious activity which would lead them to believe a crime has been or is being committed. For example, if an area has been hit with burglaries (and what area in the US hasn't had burglaries) if the police find someone who appears they could be casing a location then that would be reasonable suspicion to detain and check further for possible criminal activity.

So let's play the game and we'll see how reasonable suspicion of possible criminal activity develops. An area has some crime problem be it burglaries, peeping toms, vandalism, trash dumping, trespassers, child pervert, etc. Someone sees a person walking near their property looking thru bushes, pacing back and forth, standing for periods of time, then pacing again while looking thru bushes, on poles, etc. Do we have a burglar casing homes? Or a cacher? At this point could be either or neither. The police arrive and ask what's going on. They could say "I'm caching. Here's my GPS, here's what geocaching is, here's where there's suppose to be a cache hidden." All reasonable answers that can be verified. All go on their way. But the person decides they're going to be an street attorney and listen to someone that knows someone who took Civic 101 in high school and watched Nancy Grace on TV therefore that person must be a legal expert. When asked what's going on the person replies they don't have to answer any questions and it's no one's business. So do we still have a burglar casing homes or a cacher? Who knows but more suspicious activity due to the response. So what's in your pocket? GPS or a gun? Now we have a Terry Stop and you can be frisked. If you don't know what a Terry Stop is then check the US Supreme Court rulings. Long time ruling that lets police stop and frisk for weapons on a person acting if they have or about to commit some crime.

So a person can decide if they want the contact to last a couple of minutes or a couple of hours. Your choice.

in order for police to conduct a terry stop they must have RAS Reasonable Articulated Suspision and someone walking, looking around does not constitute RAS on a public street or while on property they already have permission to be on (geocaching) or other reasons if that was the case we would not have tourist destinations but all this doesn't matter these are my practices and i was sharing what i do and have been rather successful putting power tripping cops (most cops arent bad) in their place with my knowledge of the laws because I research laws and case law on my own not by asking a cop (which are allowed to lie to you) and finally carry your gps around your neck and gun on your hip and there will be no confusion as to which is which BUT you do have a point on taking advice please do your own due diligence on looking up laws before acting on any advice

Edited by the sasqwatches

A terry stop is nothing sinister and as common as a simple traffic stop.

Simply a detention (usually brief) when an officer has a reasonable suspicion something is off, but short of probable cause for arrest.

I agree with Wadcutter.

If you want to go on your way, comply with the nice officer and show some ID if asked.

If you want to play jailhouse lawyer, plan on being there awhile.

<snip>

If you want to play jailhouse lawyer, plan on being there awhile.

...add to that, real wisecracks. There is no good reason for that, other than to cause the officer to want to look further or deeper into your story. And, believe it or not, that takes (more) time.... :P

Unless of course, you have lots of time to burn.

Funny how those things work.

In order for police to conduct a terry stop they must have RAS Reasonable Articulated Suspision and someone walking, looking around does not constitute RAS on a public street or while on property they already have permission to be on (geocaching) or other reasons if that was the case we would not have tourist destinations. . . .

When I was in law school, my criminal procedure professor told a story about two of his former students who asked an officer what was his probable cause after a vehicle stop. The officer did not take kindly to the question and the students were pursing a civil rights action. This is not to say that we should always talk to an officer -- a number of my clients got themselves into trouble by consenting to searches or saying far too much -- but common sense is often a good guide.

When caching, I always tell people what I am doing if asked. It does not make any difference if it is a law enforcement officer, security guard, or curious citizen. After doing that, I have never been asked to show an id, consent to a search, or do anything intrusive.

Sadly, in many cases, we do not necessarily have permission to be doing what we are doing. An officer who sees someone lifting up skirts on a lamp post probably has justification to ask about it. Yesterday, I found some caches placed on telephone poles -- I doubt that the cachers secured permission from the utility company and would not count searching property where no permission was granted as being quite the same as going to a tourist destination.

So if you are poking around bushes, going into a playground where an ordinance restricts it to people with children, searching electrical boxes, or doing any number of things involved with this game that might raise a question, it might be better (or quicker) to tell someone what you are doing rather than to test the boundaries of what might be a Terry stop.

Ultimately, it is not hard to have a reasonable articulated suspicion, but to spare giving war stories about people who have been on the wrong side of the equation, I would simply hope that people use common sense when approached by anyone. Last week, a security officer ended up looking of a cache with me that was placed at a memorial in a public plaza -- neither of us found it but he said he might take up the game.

Edited by geodarts

I will answer all questions posed to me, because I have nothing to hide. However, if I am asked for my consent to a search, my reply wil always be " I will not hinder, nor will I grant my permission". There's limits to reasonable cooperation. Thats where I draw the line, and that's what I tell my teen agers.

My first police encounter has always been my favorite -- as I tried to explain geocaching in my terrible German to two Polizei officers, one looked down at my hand, saw the GPSr, said, "Ah, Geocaching [pronounced the German way, gay-o-caching], alles klar! Have you found it yet?" When I admitted I hadn't yet, they smiled, waved, and drove off.

Same thing I say to new storm chasers (and sometime remind myself). ID cards (other than your Driver's License/State ID) is pointless. If a cop bothers you, be nice (yes sir, no mam, etc.) and if you are on public property, kindly remind them you have a right to be there.

However...in the end, unless you like spending time in jail to prove your right...if they tell you to leave...just leave. You can always complain to the Watch Captain or Shift Commander or whomever is in charge of that officer.

If you think it has something to do with the cache placement, make a complaint. Cache owner first, but then GS if there is no action and you think it is a risk.

I've had my share of encounters (comes with being being a videographer around DC), including but not limited to Secret Service, Capitol Police, Metropolitan Police, DoD, Department of Energy, NSA, and lots of local and state and more. I have never been arrested or detained for longer than 30 minutes. I always voluntarily gave consent for vehicle searches, bag searches, etc. Granted I always included the statement "I know I am fully within my right to deny you access, but hey...I know it'll ease your mind).

Better to cache another day!

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

in order for police to conduct a terry stop they must have RAS Reasonable Articulated Suspision and someone walking, looking around does not constitute RAS on a public street or while on property they already have permission to be on (geocaching) or other reasons if that was the case we would not have tourist destinations but all this doesn't matter these are my practices and i was sharing what i do and have been rather successful putting power tripping cops (most cops arent bad) in their place with my knowledge of the laws because I research laws and case law on my own not by asking a cop (which are allowed to lie to you) and finally carry your gps around your neck and gun on your hip and there will be no confusion as to which is which BUT you do have a point on taking advice please do your own due diligence on looking up laws before acting on any advice

You should do a bit more reading on what I posted. Read my 3rd paragraph. I walked you thru how reasonable suspicion is developed. I gave a lot more elements of developing reasonable suspicion than just 'walking around'.

Does someone have permission to be on the property? If found walking on my property do you have permission to be there? No one knows until they are asked and it is checked out.

Again, it's a totality of the circumstances that develop reasonable suspicion. Each of those acts may be perfectly legal acts but when taken together as a whole would those actions lead to a reasonable suspicion that someone may be or about to commit some kind of criminal act even if the specific criminal act is not known.

So now you claim you do your own research. Before you said you knew all about it because you had relatives who are LE. If you really want to do more research then do a bit of reading about various USSC cases. Then you'll have a better grasp of the topic. Stay away from Wikipedia and other internet "authorities". Read the actual cases. They're o line.

Also, remember, punctuation and sentence structure is your friend.

I will answer all questions posed to me, because I have nothing to hide. However, if I am asked for my consent to a search, my reply wil always be " I will not hinder, nor will I grant my permission". There's limits to reasonable cooperation. Thats where I draw the line, and that's what I tell my teen agers.

But remember, your consent is not always needed to be searched. Read about Terry Stops. Most people don't understand what is needed for a Terry Stop, they want to play street side lawyer, and they end up getting themselves in actual legal trouble because they resist a lawful act.

You don't get legal knowledge from watching CSI or whatever TV show. Before playing street side lawyer make sure you have actual legal knowledge, not just what people hear from others or what they think. Discuss it with a knowledgeable attorney, one who actually practices criminal law. Not all attorneys are knowledgeable in criminal law.

Most people find out what is truly legal standing in front of a judge and that can be very expensive. It's a whole lot cheaper and less hassle to get good legal advice beforehand.

Edited by Wadcutter

You should do a bit more reading on what I posted. Read my 3rd paragraph. I walked you thru how reasonable suspicion is developed. I gave a lot more elements of developing reasonable suspicion than just 'walking around'.

Does someone have permission to be on the property? If found walking on my property do you have permission to be there? No one knows until they are asked and it is checked out.

Again, it's a totality of the circumstances that develop reasonable suspicion. Each of those acts may be perfectly legal acts but when taken together as a whole would those actions lead to a reasonable suspicion that someone may be or about to commit some kind of criminal act even if the specific criminal act is not known.

So now you claim you do your own research. Before you said you knew all about it because you had relatives who are LE. If you really want to do more research then do a bit of reading about various USSC cases. Then you'll have a better grasp of the topic. Stay away from Wikipedia and other internet "authorities". Read the actual cases. They're o line.

Also, remember, punctuation and sentence structure is your friend.

i didnt think i had to spell it out but when i stated in and outs i was referring to common police practice and dept policies not laws because most cops only know a handful of laws mainly the ones they use most often typically traffic related and "totality of circumstances" has gotten PD's sued for wrongful arrest and violating constitutional rights more time than i want to go into my info and research comes from http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/stats.html and on 2 instance i have talked to a criminal lawyer (one that specializes in constitutional rights esp. the 2nd) over gun related laws (unrelated to this conversation)

Edited by the sasqwatches

i didnt think i had to spell it out but when i stated in and outs i was referring to common police practice and dept policies not laws because most cops only know a handful of laws

You assume way more than what is factual. LEOs receive quite a bit of legal training in basic and most states require annual reoccurring legal training. It's no different than any other job. You learn the elements of your trade. So when you say LEOs don't know laws the facts prove otherwise. It's what they deal with everyday on the job and in variety. You know it because it's what you work with. And the reason they know it is because of mandatory reoccurring training, constant legal updates on new laws and court rulings, and shift briefing updates. They don't think they know the law because they have 4 relatives who are in LE. That is more than just silly.

You don't learn common police practices and dept policies from having 4 relatives in LE and from watching TV. This may be an awakening for you but common police practices and dept policies are formulated on the law and court rulings. That's why agencies and LEOs operate the way they do - based on the law and applicable court rulings.

The law is a lot more complicated than you realize and what you are showing.

mainly the ones they use most often typically traffic related and "totality of circumstances" has gotten PD's sued for wrongful arrest and violating constitutional rights more time than i want to go into my info and research comes from http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/stats.html and on 2 instance i have talked to a criminal lawyer (one that specializes in constitutional rights esp. the 2nd) over gun related laws (unrelated to this conversation)

So now you've changed your story from knowing about the law because you have 4 relatives who are LEOs to now you have discussed it with attorneys. MEthinks your credibility is quickly fading.

As far as you assertion concerning law suits - anyone can sue anyone for anything. Getting sued as a LEO is common and not at all unusual. Hazards of the job. Usually the suit is brought by someone who doesn't have a clue but think they know all about it because they've watched some TV show, have a relative who is in LE and thinks that gives them special legal knowledge, or they think they know the law but couldn't find a statute or court ruling. People who think they know the law are quick to sue figuring they can make a quick dollar. You may be surprised to learn that of all the suits against LE historically less than 2% every go to trial and of the 2% that do less than 1% does the plaintiff prevail. It is also common for agencies to settle nuisance suits. There are some attorneys who make a living suing LE. They know the officer won't have to pay but the agencies have the deep pockets. So they file continual frivolous baseless suits knowing the agency will pay them a few thousand dollars to go away because it's cheaper to pay off these frivolous suits than pay the dept attorney, or contractual attorney, a lot more to fight it.

I know that I'm bumping a two year old thread but figured it was better than starting a new one.

I had an "interesting" LEO encounter last week. I was in Rome for business and had a few hours free to do some geocaching on the day that I arrived. I went to find the Arco di Constantine cache (the Constantine Arch near the Colosseum). It was hidden in a stone wall in a spot where there was a missing brick and real easy to see the hiding spot from 100' away. This is a extremely busy area with hundreds of muggles nearby. Using the "pretend that you belong there" approach I walked up, removed rocks covering the "container" (a plastic baggie) I quickly signed the log sheet, replaced the cache then walked away. I got about 30' away when I saw a man which appeared to have a GPS on his belt walking towards GZ. I turned and pointed to the hiding spot and nodded my head. When I saw him reach in and grab the container I waved and continued down the road, heading back toward my hotel. I was about 500' away when a police car pulled up, with a couple of policemen in plain clothes, and the man I saw earlier was holding the cache (that GPS was actually a radio). That's when it got interesting because neither cop spoke English and I know very little Italian. I tried to explain that it was a game but they were very interested in the log sheets with all those names and numbers. After a few minutes, the one in charge asked someone (I think it may have been a vendor that was running the nearby souvenir stand) to help translate. He asked about the cache and the names and I showed him my GPS and the app on my Smartphone (CacheSense). They started to get that geocaches were hidden in many different places and then were concerned about them being in some of the more sensitive locations in the area (this was just outside the roman forum). It was about this point that they also asked me for a passport/identification. Eventually, the guy that spoke little English asked about a web site and asked me to enter the URL on his smartphone. Once I got to the geocaching.com site one of the cops went to it on his phone as well and was able to read about how the game was played after choosing "Italiano" for the language. They finally handed me back my identification and said "bye, bye". I said that I could contact the person that placed the geocache to let him know that there was an issue with it but the policeman that saw me find it said he would put it back. Apparently he did as it's been found several times since.

After I got home I decided that it would be useful to have one of those "What is geocaching?" brochures in the language of a country I'm visiting when I don't speak the native language. I did some searching and did find an Italiano version here: http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/IT/IT_Geocaching_BROCHURE_online_color.pdf

However, I couldn't seem to find a link to that brochure or other language versions. I know that an English and German version exists but I am trying to find a page that has a link to all foreign language versions. I'll be going back to Italy and spending several days in France in September and want to print off those versions. I'm also going to China in November but couldn't find a version in Mandarin.

I don't really remember if I read this thread back in 2013, or just another similar one, but want to add my 2 cents here.

We have the Geocaching brochures printed out to give if necessary, in English because we only have cached in Canada or the US so far.

However, I've very seldom have had to use them.

My standard explanation simply dumbs down the details so it's easy for someone (muggle, or LEO) to grasp.

I simply explain that:

"Geocaching is a worldwide game where people hide a container, plot the GPS coordinates, publish the coordinates on a geocaching website and challenge others to find the container. We're looking for one now (or we just replaced one)." And I show them my Garmin.

That seems to have gone over well, and if there is more interest, I'll get into more details, such as swag, and trading, etc.

I've found that keeping it simple works every time!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

My standard explanation simply dumbs down the details so it's easy for someone (muggle, or LEO) to grasp.

I simply explain that:

"Geocaching is a worldwide game where people hide a container, plot the GPS coordinates, publish the coordinates on a geocaching website and challenge others to find the container. We're looking for one now (or we just replaced one)." And I show them my Garmin.

That seems to have gone over well, and if there is more interest, I'll get into more details, such as swag, and trading, etc.

Exactly.

Here in Belgium there are (or used to be at least) organized itineraries where you have to follow directions and answer questions along the way (sounds like a multi, right?). Most of these things were organized by the local tourist office or association of shopkeepers to promote the area and could be done within a certain timeframe (mostly 2-3 months during summer). You could just get your questionnaire from selected shops and/or tourist office, sometimes pay a small fee to participate and be on your way. After completing the tour you could drop the questionnaire at any of the drop off sites and after the "event" ended there was a draw and prices were given (Bike, vouchers...). What we do when questioned about our activities during a multi is telling people we're doing one on those tours where we need to find clues along the way. 99% of the time that's enough.

If "caught" near the container we just give some basic info on geocaching.

With technology these days, anybody can make up an official looking ID card.

I think an informational card would be a good idea, though, as a compact way of carrying information. A brochure and a verbal explanation would probably be best.

I've never been questioned by a cop while geocaching, but I suppose it would be best just to explain what you're doing.

Yes, the brochure in the local language sounds good. A mere "ID card" might be laughed at. One photo magazine offers "press credentials." I guarantee those won't get you into the White House.

This page has brochures in several languages, but interestingly, not Italian:

http://www.geocaching.com/tools/

Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. The brochure in Italian is certainly available so that page should probably be updated.

Edited to add: Actually, now that I look at those brochures they're different from the "online_color" brochures which have a little more useful information.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I don't really remember if I read this thread back in 2013, or just another similar one, but want to add my 2 cents here.

We have the Geocaching brochures printed out to give if necessary, in English because we only have cached in Canada or the US so far.

However, I've very seldom have had to use them.

I simply explain that:

Yes that works when providing information to someone which speaks the same language. In my scenario, there was a communication barrier that could have been bridge if I just had something to show in Italian.

I also think that the useful details would be different when explaining the game to a muggle vs. a LEO (or a land manager). The Italian police seemed to be concerned about permission and a land manager might want to be assured that caches are never buried, deface property, etc.

Note the difference between these two brochures.

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE_online_color.pdf

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE.pdf

The first one would probably be much better to show to a LEO or land manager while the second one would might be okay for muggles in general.

Yes that works when providing information to someone which speaks the same language. In my scenario, there was a communication barrier that could have been bridge if I just had something to show in Italian.

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE_online_color.pdf

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE.pdf

The first one would probably be much better to show to a LEO or land manager while the second one would might be okay for muggles in general.

Absolutely!

I would be very uncomfortable geocaching somewhere were I couldn't explain. A brochure in the "language of the location" would be extremely handy!

The game has started 15 years ago in the US, but in many places around the world it is almost unknown.

I encountred a security guard in London once at night, we just explained the game, and it ended with him trying to help us in the search...

But I do know of some misfortunate encounters, like someone climbing to get a cache in London which followed by a police visit thinking he is trying to commite suicide from the top... And a European guy held up by the army after searching for 10 minutes a cache that was - stupidly - placed right on the wall of an Israeli army base. He was questioned for quite a while.

The game has started 15 years ago in the US, but in many places around the world it is almost unknown.

True. For example, the population of Lagos, Nigeria is 13.4 million. There are three geocaches within 100 miles of the city center. Fortunately, the official language of Nigeria is English.

I once encountered an officer who just wanted to be difficult. I gave him the brochure and he said any criminal could print one of these out. I told him I agreed but if I was going to do that, I would have made up something more impressive and printed a fake brochure about it instead of a GPS game. He had his partner hold me while he, as he said, "checked the spot I was in because he'd look foolish if it was later discovered that I hid drugs or a corpse there." I didn't find the cache. I assured his he wouldn't find drugs or a corpse but if he happened to find the container if he would please bring it out for me." He didn't see the humor in that.

True. For example, the population of Lagos, Nigeria is 13.4 million. There are three geocaches within 100 miles of the city center. Fortunately, the official language of Nigeria is English.

I was thinking of USA, which has lots of caches, and lots of players. Silly me. I promise you I will never cache in Nigeria. GS offers free premium membership to police departments. How many cops have encountered cachers but not followed up?

This is how I explain the game:

Geocaching is a game started in 2000, where one person hides something and others try to find it. We use the satellites, the internet and gps receivers to find a cache. There are 2.6 million caches around the world. Have you heard of this game?

Almost always, the next sound I hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz.

Edited by Mockingbird559

I was thinking of USA, which has lots of caches, and lots of players. Silly me. I promise you I will never cache in Nigeria. GS offers free premium membership to police departments. How many cops have encountered cachers but not followed up?

I tend to look at geocaching from a global perspective because I do a fair amount of work internationally and travel to other countries occasionally. The incident I had would not have been an issue in the US because I would be speaking the same language of the police that were questioning me.