Noobie with an old etrex

I was given an old Garmin Etrex, this one I think,

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6403

Coincidentally just a couple of weeks after my wife started geocaching at lunchtimes with a friend.

I've seen how to hack a serial cable and am handy enough to make one but I can't find anything about what software I can use. Garmin.com says I must have a copy of Mapsource before downloading their software, but I don't have anything other than the unit. Where do I begin?

Is there any open source mapping software out there? I do have Windows but prefer Linux (Ubuntu), if anyone can help with that too, that's be awesome.

Simon

That is a non-mapping unit - can't display any maps.

The serial cable could download waypoints to the unit or upload data from the unit but that is about it.

I know the unit doesn't have maps but I'd like to add way points to the unit. I'm clueless as to how this works as I've no software. I can't simply plug in the serial cable, I'll need some software to have the PC communicate with the unit. I presume it will have a map or at least some way to upload coordinates to it. This software I presume came with the unit originally but I only have the unit, nothing else.

Edited by syco123

You can still get mapsource and some of the free maps available at www.gpsfiledepot.com

Goto http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...-with-your-gps/ and follow the instructions on getting Mapsource setup.

Then go to http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps to get your maps. There are several flavors and should all be compatible to be used with Mapsource.

This makes it easy to see your waypoints on the map, you can then pull tracks off your gps into mapsource (kinda neat to review a trip) and other fun stuff.

I won't speak to the licensing legalities of the the method used to get mapsource installed - I don't see a problem with it personally since it's not sold as a standalone product (just bundled with map products).

The serial cable could download waypoints to the unit or upload data from the unit but that is about it.

Just sent an email. StarBrand is correct, no maps for this unit. I use the same thing. Here's a link to the manual. You can load the waypoints manually until you get your cable. Have fun......

I use the same type of GPS and am glad I don't have an idiot arrow to rely on, it makes the find much more fun and sometimes a challenge. No offense to those who rely on the "big arrow" to tell them where to find a cache. Using the coordinates and being forced to realize where you are on the grid and which direction to move based on the numbers is much more fun to me.

Learn the coordinate system and just go by the numbers.

I know the unit doesn't have maps but I'd like to add way points to the unit. I'm clueless as to how this works as I've no software. I can't simply plug in the serial cable, I'll need some software to have the PC communicate with the unit. I presume it will have a map or at least some way to upload coordinates to it. This software I presume came with the unit originally but I only have the unit, nothing else.

Google EasyGPS. That will do the trick.

moving to the appropriate forum

I use the same type of GPS and am glad I don't have an idiot arrow to rely on, it makes the find much more fun and sometimes a challenge. No offense to those who rely on the "big arrow" to tell them where to find a cache. Using the coordinates and being forced to realize where you are on the grid and which direction to move based on the numbers is much more fun to me.

Learn the coordinate system and just go by the numbers.

:unsure:

Actually that unit does have a compass screen and arrow to point you to the cache with a countdown on distance. If you chose to use it........

Well, the unit will also output NMEA data and can be used with mapping software such as Global Mapper, Streets & Trips or MacGPS Pro that will display maps.