Portland's 40-mile Loop Trail

popop

Hey Portland cachers - I just discovered this 40-mile loop project for connecting parks,open spaces etc in one large trail. As one who gets to Portland a few times a year and who loves caching in the wooded parks and trails, this trail intrigues me. Specifically, I was wondering if there is a challenge cache related to this huge trail? Even if there isn't I plan to walk and cache the entire length, over time.

Going to be up that way later this month and plan to hike Marquam to Council Crest - looking forward to it.

My daughter and I bike-cached the 40-mile loop a couple of years ago. It's actually 67 miles around the loop, something we didn't realize until we were committed to finishing it.

The trail is not at all complete. Large segments involve sharing streets with cars.

For cachers on bikes, the best part of the loop is the Springwater Corridor. It's a straight shot (an old railroad right-of-way), you only encounter cars at intersections, and it's rich with caches.

Very little of this loop is attractive as a hike. If you're in boots, consider Mt Talbert, a delightful undeveloped butte with an excellent trail system and several caches.

Edited by klossner

My daughter and I bike-cached the 40-mile loop a couple of years ago. It's actually 67 miles around the loop, something we didn't realize until we were committed to finishing it.

The trail is not at all complete. Large segments involve sharing streets with cars.

For cachers on bikes, the best part of the loop is the Springwater Corridor. It's a straight shot (an old railroad right-of-way), you only encounter cars at intersections, and it's rich with caches.

Very little of this loop is attractive as a hike. If you're in boots, consider Mt Talbert, a delightful undeveloped butte with an excellent trail system and several caches.

Thanks for the helpful info, klossner! I always pack the boots so the Mt. Talbert area looks like the kind of area I prefer anyway - less developed is better.