Arrogant or rude cacher's?

Rustynails

Is there a guide line for the number of hides one can have in an area?

I am trying to put together my first hide and notice that some people have a large number of hides in one area. This makes it difficult to find a good spot. Is this considered rude behavior or arrogance by other cacher’s?

Note: This is just a question and NOT a reference to any particular individual. Please don’t be offended.

Edited by rustynails.

Anyone who has hidden more than 31 caches is EXTREMELY rude!!! (until I hide my next one, then anyone with more than 32 caches would be considered arrogant)

There are 2 sides to every coin...while it reduces the amount of places you might hid your cache, look at how many choices are there for seekers.

Keep looking for a new spot and don't be frustrated because others were there first. You might also send a nice not to the hider if there's a particular area you'd like to use. They might consider archiving some of their caches to provide some fresh hides.

I once had someone email me about one of my hides asking to let him know if I ever archived it because he knew of a great place within the .1 mile that he'd like to use. My cache had been there a while and was becoming a bit of a maintenance issue, so I pulled it and let him have the spot.

Just don't EXPECT a hider to remove their cache so you can drop one. It's just another avenue you could check.

However, it can be a tad inconvenient. There are some in my area that have hidden over 100 caches. They cannot possibly maintain all of those caches so when someone posts a "Needs Maintenance" log it ends up sitting there forever with nothing ever being done. We did a cache in the last month or so where the description said we were looking for an ammo can, but then all we found was a test-tube. Apparently someone posted a maintenance log that the cache had been muggled. The owner could not even make it out to verify it was gone, archive the cache, or replace the container. Another benevolent cacher happened to have the test tube and replaced it for the original cache after a series of DNFs. The hider has still not updated the cache listing or the expressed thanks to the person who hid the replacement, even though they have been on the site and found caches since the original DNF.

Moral of the story: if they hide too many, it will eventually catch up with them. We once had 15-20 going at one time and that is about all we were comfortable with. Moral 2: it gives you new areas to explore and hide caches, making the game better for everyone in the long run. I don't think there should be a limit, but I do think people should use common sense.

Just my $.02

However, it can be a tad inconvenient. There are some in my area that have hidden over 100 caches. They cannot possibly maintain all of those caches so when someone posts a "Needs Maintenance" log it ends up sitting there forever with nothing ever being done. We did a cache in the last month or so where the description said we were looking for an ammo can, but then all we found was a test-tube. Apparently someone posted a maintenance log that the cache had been muggled. The owner could not even make it out to verify it was gone, archive the cache, or replace the container. Another benevolent cacher happened to have the test tube and replaced it for the original cache after a series of DNFs. The hider has still not updated the cache listing or the expressed thanks to the person who hid the replacement, even though they have been on the site and found caches since the original DNF.

I gotta ask. Was the reviewer notified of the problem? Was an SBA logged?

If a cache sits for an extended period of time in need of maintenance without any action by the owner, there are other actions cachers can take besides waiting.

I am trying to put together my first hide and notice that some people have a large number of hides in one area. This makes it difficult to find a good spot. Is this considered rude behavior or arrogance by other cacher’s?

:unsure: Boy, was I surprised when I went into your profile to see where you are caching, and noticed that there were red checkmarks next to most of them (meaning that I have found them). You're in King Boreas country... better get used to it!

It makes me wonder.. do cache approvers look at a cache owners credentials whenever approving a new cache?

Meaning, if a cache approver sees a cache owner already has TONS of hides, and many of them have "needs maintenance" notices.. would the cache approver be obligated to REFUSE the current new cache request?

Edited by NordicMan

Just do what others do. Load it up and drive around looking for that number to go from 528 to .1. Oops. Never mind. Bad idea. :ph34r:

Think outside the box. Anyone can put an LPC or a magnetic key holder. Thinking outside the box can net some good locations and ideas.

As long as the hider maintains them then they are actually doing you and other cachers a favor. Don't get any ideas about stealing their caches to make space though! :unsure:

It makes me wonder.. do cache approvers look at a cache owners credentials whenever approving a new cache?

Meaning, if a cache approver sees a cache owner already has TONS of hides, and many of them have "needs maintenance" notices.. would the cache approver be obligated to REFUSE the current new cache request?

I've never heard of that happening. The reviewer might be more stringent about sending out archive warnings to those hiders, but I seriously even doubt that. Those that I've dealt with seem to lean over backwards in trying to be impartial. It isn't their job to police hiders other than making sure the guidelines for placing a cache have been met.

I think this is within their powers. Not sure though.

I've only seen it once in the extreme case of a then 12 or 13 yr. old cache hider (this was 3-4 years ago). Other than that, heck no. Although I'd dance a jig if this ever happened. :unsure:

Maybe they should. Sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe like points on drivers license in the U.S.?

:unsure: Boy, was I surprised when I went into your profile to see where you are caching, and noticed that there were red checkmarks next to most of them (meaning that I have found them). You're in King Boreas country... better get used to it!

Edited by rustynails.

Rude and arrogant??? Wowser! I would have thought calling our prolific cachers that fits the description of rude and arrogant. Might want to check your foot to see if the shoe fits.

I've got one local cacher with 216 active hides, and another with 151 hides. Myself, I look forward to finding all of those caches! They're great!! In the meantime, I've had no problem hiding my paltry 31 caches.

Rude and arrogant??? Wowser! I would have thought calling our prolific cachers that fits the description of rude and arrogant. Might want to check your foot to see if the shoe fits.

I've got one local cacher with 216 active hides, and another with 151 hides. Myself, I look forward to finding all of those caches! They're great!! In the meantime, I've had no problem hiding my paltry 31 caches.

Shoe fits?????? Do you know what your talking about?

:ph34r: Boy, was I surprised when I went into your profile to see where you are caching, and noticed that there were red checkmarks next to most of them (meaning that I have found them). You're in King Boreas country... better get used to it!

Yep, I looked up this King Boreas, he has over 2000 hides. Anyone know what his problem is? How can anyone maintain this many hides?

He has a problem? Never thought of that. Maybe his problem is that he keeps finding places to hide caches. Since he is the King he has a team of minions that do cache maintenance for him. :unsure:

While your looking things up look up OzGuff and AD0OR. Runner ups include Wheeler Dealers and IceCreamMan. CCooperAgency is not hiding any more.

Jim

Edited by jholly

:ph34r: Boy, was I surprised when I went into your profile to see where you are caching, and noticed that there were red checkmarks next to most of them (meaning that I have found them). You're in King Boreas country... better get used to it!

He has a problem? Never thought of that. Maybe his problem is that he keeps finding places to hide caches. Since he is the King he has a team of minions that do cache maintenance for him. :unsure:

While your looking things up look up OzGuff and AD0OR. Runner ups include Wheeler Dealers and IceCreamMan. CCooperAgency is not hiding any more.

Jim

Edited by rustynails.

Hmm. My first instinct was to wonder if maybe the King was going overboard. However, after looking at a bunch of pages of his hides I have to say I wish the King lived around here. I'm blessed to live in a cache rich area with lots of prolific hiders, but I'll bet he could get a bunch more placed. Since I love hunting caches that would be great in my opinion.

When I looked at his cache hide pages I see LOTS of caches that are small and regular size so it's not like he's placed 2,000 lamp post caches. He seems to hide a variety of caches so everybody should be able to find something to enjoy. I think this summer I may take a road trip over to the Kings country just for the express purpose of finding a bunch of his hides.

By the way, in case anybody's maybe overlooked it on the Kings profile page down at the very bottom is a link (it's very small) to click to see what some of his supporters say about his caches.

I don't know the King and will probably never meet him. To me it seems like a man who'd put a link defending himself at the very bottom of his page and to make it so small that it could be easily overlooked is not somebody who's stuck on himself and trying to promote himself. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me that seems like a man with quiet character. I say long live the King!!!! :unsure:

If someone has over 2000 hides do you think maybe there are obsessive compulsive issues. Do you see a problem now? This is a fun activity but too much of anything can be a problem.

The title of this thread is Arrogant or rude cacher's. I think I might have an idea who one is.

Jim

I would consider it rather inconsiderate if a cacher jogged along a 5 mile trail and tossed a micro into the shrubs every .10 along the entire route. Anything beyond that, have at it.

Having said that, I do like the idea that some cachers archive their older hides to give others a chance to place one nearby. There is a great spot in my area where I'd like to place a cache. Unfortunately, another guy has his cache right next to it. I'm just waiting patiently until he dies so I can adopt his cache and move it a few yards into my spot. This may take a few years.

Interesting concept. Someone who has spent thousands of dollars and many hours to entertain people that they for the most part don't know and will never met can be considered rude or arrogant for doing so.

There are some in my area that have hidden over 100 caches. They cannot possibly maintain all of those caches so when someone posts a "Needs Maintenance" log it ends up sitting there forever with nothing ever being done.

Don't use such a broad brush. I know people who have 100+ hides and have no problem maintaining them. Most of the problem caches that I have encountered were hidden by people with a handful of hides.

i'm beginning to think the OP has some, uh, personal issues. often when people are concerned with "rude and arrogant" cacher's (sic), grocery store baggers, or tiddly-wink champions, what they REALLY mean is that this person has in some way annoyed them and they are looking for general validation from the community at large.

this particular OP seems to be increasingly upset that the community at large has a nearly complete failure to care.

me, i consider it the height of arrogance when people don't take the time to learn how to use an apostrophe and yet insist on attempting to attract my support and sympathy.

Yep, I looked up this King Boreas, he has over 2000 hides. Anyone know what his problem is? How can anyone maintain this many hides?

Just for argument's sake, King Boreas doesn't have over 2000 active hides. If you look at the last 50 or so pages of his hides, the majority are archived. That's one reason I wish the profile stats would break the numbers down to total hides, and another line for active hides. Gives a better picture of the hider. However, some of his very first hides are still active! That has to tell you that they aren't just hides for the sake of hiding!

Sure wish there was someone like that around here! I wouldn't dream of saying they were rude or ignorant!

:unsure: WOW! I did not know so many people worship the king. I for one belive there is only one God. I will post no more on this topic. I just wanted a place to hide my cache. It's sad that people get so upset.

As I Noted: This topic is just a question and NOT a reference to any particular individual. I have never met the king and only first heard of him when some one posted his name on this topic. Please don’t be offended.

Play fair and be nice. Good bye, rusty

Edited by rustynails.

:unsure: WOW! I did not know so many people worship the king. I for one belive there is only one God. I will post no more on this topic. I just wanted a place to hide my cache. It's sad that people get so upset. Play fair and be nice. Good bye, rusty

I wouldn't say they worship him, just don't have a problem with him hiding more than a couple.

Jim

:unsure: WOW! I did not know so many people worship the king. I for one belive there is only one God. I will post no more on this topic. I just wanted a place to hide my cache. It's sad that people get so upset. Play fair and be nice. Good bye, rusty

I don't even know the individual (nor his history). My posts were directed toward your inappropriate comments in this thread. You might want to heed your own advice. Be nice.

KB could of spent his time just finding them but started placing caches where there were none to be found, giving people a chance to experience caching, for geocaching to grow . He gives. Does that sound arrogant or rude, compulsive?

Now maybe you have contacted him asking him if he would remove a cache so you can place one, maybe that is where the rude, arrogant rant is coming from. I could be viewed as having taken all the "good spots" in my area and have a few that are special to me and would not archive them but others I would if asked. So if you have not contacted him maybe you should and explain where and why you would like to place a cache, maybe you will see the giving character of KB. His "minions" realized what he was doing and will go out of there way to help maintain his caches, but we will do that for most anyways.

Interesting concept. Someone who has spent thousands of dollars and many hours to entertain people that they for the most part don't know and will never met can be considered rude or arrogant for doing so.

There are some in my area that have hidden over 100 caches. They cannot possibly maintain all of those caches so when someone posts a "Needs Maintenance" log it ends up sitting there forever with nothing ever being done.

Don't use such a broad brush. I know people who have 100+ hides and have no problem maintaining them. Most of the problem caches that I have encountered were hidden by people with a handful of hides.

I didn't use a broad brush - that is why I used "some" and not "all". If I would have said "All of the cachers with 100 hides can't possibly maintain them" then we would have had a broad brushstroke. I thought there was a guideline for "vacation caches" and if you are hiding them from Ohio to Connecticut and ignoring maintenance logs then it is time for you to pare your crop. When someone places over 100 (sorry, it was 200 in this specific case I am referencing) caches across a 4-state area, there is no possible way they can maintain all of them in a timely manner. If you want specifics you can PM me...I am not going to throw anyone under the bus in a public forum.

Edited by bnprood

:laughing: WOW! I did not know so many people worship the king. I for one belive there is only one God. I will post no more on this topic. I just wanted a place to hide my cache. It's sad that people get so upset.

As I Noted: This topic is just a question and NOT a reference to any particular individual. I have never met the king and only first heard of him when some one posted his name on this topic. Please don’t be offended.

Play fair and be nice. Good bye, rusty

oh, man.

i don't even know where to start.