Can I log it as a "Found It"?

I helped my son set up and hide his first cache. I even helped him post it. I did not however take any of the credit for it. It's his cache, let him have the hide. Should I log this as a find or am i doomed to have that occursed green lid box staring at me evey day? Would it be poor taste if I logged it as a find considdering the fact that I actually told him where to hide it?

I helped my son set up and hide his first cache. I even helped him post it. I did not however take any of the credit for it. It's his cache, let him have the hide. Should I log this as a find or am i doomed to have that occursed green lid box staring at me evey day? Would it be poor taste if I logged it as a find considdering the fact that I actually told him where to hide it?

In my opinion, it would be poor taste. I sort of look at it as a form of cheating.

That being said, there is a cache 2 miles from me right now that I helped the owner set up and hide 2 years ago. I still haven't logged a find on it.

Play the game the way you want to. Our opinions are only that.

If you know where it is you can't find it. :huh: Just click the ignore option on the right hand side of the cache page. The green box will disappear :blink: .

Ignore list is a Primium member feature. I have the same situation, and it is within my radius (I am a self admited Radius Slave). But, I still have not logged it. Not that it is wrong to log it. I think that it is realy a personal choise. I haven't loged it because I didn't want to artificialy inflate my find number. But if you are not a numbers guy, it likely doesn't matter.

If you do log it, it would be appropriate to state that you helped hide it in the log.

So... if you think about it... you sorta found the place where it was to be hidden... when it wasn't even in place. That's even smarter than just simply finding a cache. :huh:

I would say do whatever feels right for you. One thought though: What sort of a personality are you? By the time you've done another 90 caches, do you think you'll be a "Numbers Man"? If you log your son's cache, when you get to that first century, will you start stressing that "Ummmm... do I really have 100 finds, or should it be only 99?" :blink:

It's just a game. If you decided to log it as a find, make it an interesting log, giving some of the flavour of the fun that you and your son had together while setting it up. It'll be a nice bit of history to read when you're old and grey. :D

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Here's my two cents;

The choice is yours. Since you are not listed as the owner, you can find the cache and get the smilely. (just make sure your name is in the logbook.)

OR, you can choose to ignore the cache. If you feel that the cache 'kinda, sorta' belongs to you, then you don't log a find.

It depends on how you play the game.

One thing that would be in poor taste is logging a FTF on the cache. Although that's been done too.

I'll add this, the local park system is going to have a series of caches. Since they could not get out and hide one in each park, they requested locals to hide the caches and maintain them. but the park system will be listed as the owner. I am one of the persons that hid a cache. After it's listed, and several folks have found it, I plan to go there, sign the log, and claim a find. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edited by JoesBar

If you know where it is you can't find it.

Well, that doesn't really make any sense. That's not the same as "if it's not there you can't find it."

In this special case I would log the find and not worry about what anyone else thought. I think your son would be thrilled to see his Dad's log on the cache page. And as for "a form of cheating," dude! seriously!

Edited by hukilaulau

Whether a cacher logs a cache as found is between the cacher and the cache owner. If you wish to log this cache as a 'find' (for whatever reason) and your son agrees for you to do so, log it.

Well, that doesn't really make any sense. That's not the same as "if it's not there you can't find it."

It made sense to me. Find -- to locate, attain, or obtain by search or effort. If you already know where it is you could visit it but not find it.

There's a family in Rapid City SD that logs all of their placed caches as finds. As soon as they place it they log it as a find to be FTF. Sometimes they'll log finds for the same cache multiple times over a period of time. They're sometimes referred to as the "Alzheimer Family" as they must not be able to remember where they hid their own caches.

I have been the "beta" tester on a couple of caches. I would not claim a FTF of course, but would have no qualms about posting the "Found it" after the FTF has been made.

I helped another cacher place a cache several years ago. As of today it is still not found by me. My thought is that I can't find a cache that I know where it is.

I also don't log finds on caches I replace, or caches that aren't there.

But that is just how I play.

It made sense to me. Find -- to locate, attain, or obtain by search or effort. If you already know where it is you could visit it but not find it.

I'm not so sure. When I go check on a cache I hid or on one that I found previously, I usually log a note that says I found the cache right where it belongs (or I found the cache in a different place than where I had previously found it). The word "found" can certain be used when you visit cache that you hid or previously found.

The issue here is not whether you can find the cache but whether it is correct to use the "Found It" log type instead of "Write Note".

Some people want the "Found It" log to be some kind of score that can be used, perhaps to compare two geocachers but sometimes only as personal score of what you have found. It its important for these people that the there be clear guidelines for when to use the "Found It" log. For example, many people believe you should not use a "Found It" log if you didn't sign the physical log book because it was wet or you didn't have a pen, even though you found the cache; many believe you should on log "Found It' once per cache; and there are people whose personnel guideline is that you shouldn't log "Found It" on a cache you helped hide.

For others the "Found It" log is just a way to share that their experience geocaching and to let others know the cache is still there. Some would argue that you should log a "Found It" every time you visit the cache site and find the cache is still there and you should log a "DNF" if you visit the cache site and the cache is missing.

You need to decide for yourself which group you are in. One complication is that cache owners are supposed to delete bogus "Found It" logs. Clearly, if someone is claiming they found cache that they didn't even visit or if they claim they found a cache when they visited but didn't find anything the "Found It" is the wrong log to use. But you have some owners who are "puritans" in that they believe in enforcing their own strict rules for when you can use the "Found It" log. These cache owners have been know to delete logs because someone didn't sign or because this is the second "Found It" for an account name on their cache. If you log "Found It" on a cache that belongs to a "puritan", you may have your log deleted if you don't follow their rules.

Would it be poor taste if I logged it as a find considdering the fact that I actually told him where to hide it?

Why not place it on your ignore list so it won't show up as one you need to find? If you want to see the logs, add it to your "watch" list as well.

As many have said the choice is yours. There are no rules other than sign the log.

Of course each one of us has a personal set f moral guidelines to what is proper. A good rule (for me) is: if you have to ask then you shouldn't log it.

By posting the question, you already (in your gut) know the correct answer.

Yes, they may have an idea of the correct answer:

that some in the community feel it's cheating

some think it's silly

some think it's perfectly acceptable

some think it's ok, but don't do it themselves

some don't understand what the question is or why anyone cares

etc

As others have said, there's no RULE on this type of logging and as you can see, there's not really a consensus either. What constitutes a legitimate "found it" log is ultimately between you and the cache owner.

There are lots of variations to our game and whether you log or don't log this cache as a find won't impact me in any way whatsoever, so do what you'd like.

edit: man, I can't seem to post anything without typos and missing words these days. I blame forum timeouts. :unsure:

Edited by KoosKoos

I have absolutely no qualms if you log a "Found it" - you just state in your log that you helped your son with the hide so then you are stating your case up front and not being devious. You put in far more effort into that cache than finding a lamppost micro in the car park, so you hardly logged it as a find to boost your count. There are easier ways to boost find counts than helping someone hide a cache. I am an adherent of "you sign the log - you find the cache". Many group cache hunts are found by only one cacher, but logged by everyone who signs the log, so it seems that the "sign logbook = smiley" is accepted by many.

I think you and your son will get much more pleasure out of the fact that you are on his list of finders for his cache - and that is all (or at least is a large portion of) that matters in my book.

Edited by the pooks

Your biggest mistake was asking the question here in the forums. Go log the cache. No one should care. If they do, they shouldn't be playing the game.

In my opinion, it would be poor taste. I sort of look at it as a form of cheating.

:unsure:

I think you should muggle the cache and teach your son that sometimes life just sucks! :unsure:

j/k-normally I would agree with those who say it is bad form to find a cache you helped hide. But in this case I think your son will enjoy knowing that dad found his cache. Just let someone else get FTF so we don't get another angsty thread about fixed FTF finds. That isn't scheduled for another three weeks. :ph34r:

Edited by wimseyguy

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth;

If the cache is on a different account then you can log it as a find.

If the cache is on the same account then no you should not.

If you helped with the hide and know what it looks like or where it's hidden then you should wait till 5 or 6 other cachers have found it first. Then when you log it as a find state that you were a beta tester or helped with the hide.

To me this is a simple and honest way of doing it.

Tobias

Your biggest mistake was asking the question here in the forums. Go log the cache. No one should care. If they do, they shouldn't be playing the game.

I had the same problem but if you look in my profile I have logged most of her hides cause it is hard to explain to a 7 year old that it is bad form to log a cache you helped hide.

I just wait till several others have logged it before I go back and check all is ok and log the book. Each to there own.

If my wife hides a cache with out me under our caching name can I go log it under our name. If you adopt a cache that you already have found should you delete your own find as you now own that cache.

My daughter gets such a great amount of joy from recieving emails that someone has logged her cache, more so when it is caches she knows and always waits and tries to guess when dad has gone out and do her cache.

I've been tempted to log a find on my own cache because it has moved so far from the original hiding spot that I have really had to search to find it!

Hmmm..

Does that mean I shoudl log a dnf on that one I can't find, but others are still finding? :unsure:

Bottm line, it is a personal chioce and no one else should care!

i have brain damage that prevents me from remembering the locations of caches i have found or even hidden.

if i visit these caches a second or third time it's like the first time, every time.

can i log them as finds every time?

I assume that you would be logging it as Found in order to get Found It credit and increase your find count. But will it really feel right?

If you do log it as Found my guess is that it will feel much better when you delete it at 99 finds so that 100 will feel like a REAL 100.

This really speaks to a greater concern of mine....

1. Agree with all who say - it's up to you and the cache owner.

2. Why do we insist on imposing "rules" to a game that isn't designed to have a winner - the only prize is the satisfaction you get personally for the experience, the hunt, often, but not always, the find.

3. We take ourselves far too seriously.

4. We tend to create an artificial caste system based on the number of finds. I will be the first to tell you that I've met numerous folks that are far better cachers than I am with a tenth of the caches found.

Log the find, man, log the find!

:unsure:

Here's whattcha do........get a bunchuhhh buddies together with pizza and beer and delve into WHY a green box should cause you such concern. :ph34r:

If the green box still causes you concern after a pizza and a 6 pack, try logging it several times at decent intervals. :D

If this solves the problem....ALLLL RIGHHHHT!!

If it doesn't solve the problem, take up a hobby like ......checkers or counting the color of cars down by the freeway! :unsure::P

Above all, stay loose and happy! :P

What teammcw said. :unsure:

The only thing to bear in mind (in a general sense, not in this particular case) is that you can log finds as you see fit, as long as it doesn't affect the pleasure of others.

For instance if you post a "find" but you didn't actually go to GZ on the day or you never actually signed the log book, you could be misleading people; therefore that's a bad thing to do.

Since you already know where it is how can you "find" it? But in the end it's between you, your conscience and the cache owner. In this case you have the added benefit of of being able to make the cache owner go to bed without dinner if he won't let you log it.

I assume that you would be logging it as Found in order to get Found It credit and increase your find count.

Why do you assume that? Perhaps the OP only wants to log it so it doesn't appear on his list of unfound caches. Since the OP is not a premium member he doesn't have the option of ignoring the cache, so logging it as found is the only way to keep it from showing up as unfound. Perhaps he wants to thank his son for hiding the cache and telling him how much he enjoyed finding it. Sure, he could post a note with this information, but perhaps the child would get a bigger kick out of getting a notification that someone has found the cache. Perhaps he visited the cache again, maybe even after a DNF was posted on it. He found the cache in the right place (or perhaps he found it had moved and was able to rehide it correctly), he wants to let other geocachers know that the cache is still there and can be found. By posting a Found It log, the date last found is updated and people who filter out caches with DNFs in GSAK or other tool will see that the cache has been found since the DNF.

I assume that the people who assume the only reason for a Found It log it to get credit and increase your find count, just haven't figured out what geocaching is about yet. :laughing:

As for me, I have not logged some that my kids have hidden that I helped with. But on the other hand they have hidden several on their own while I was back in the truck and I have gone back after someone got FTF and hunted and logged them. If you helped at all, I think your better off not logging it, but that is my 2 cents worth.

It sounds like the op has made the decision to go with a premium membership and use the ignore feature. Guilt may or may not have been a reason he asked the question in the first place. It may be simply a matter of him wanting to keep his stats correct that is more important to him.

I myself, wouldn't log a find on a cache that i helped hide. But, i am a premium member and have access to the ignore feature. I can tell you now that if i was a regular member, i certainly wouldn't feel guilty at all logging one if this was the only way to get it off my unfound list...

Edited by Mudfrog