Alternative to "Muggle"

I find myself thinking the term "muggled" to describe what has happened to the hardware from a device that is in our shop for repairs when it has disappeared. I don't use it with the other folks who work there. To me the term fits. As to the use of the term for outsiders, that's not all that bad either. Some sort of term is needed, and "non- participants" doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue real nicely.

As to the concept of Harry Potter being a series of "kiddie books" well I'm not so sure. Yes, the were written essentially for children, but as the series goes on it gets deeper and darker. The characters grow into young adults without being involved in graphic openly sexual situations, possibly the only concession to the intended age of the readers. Murder, deception and dishonesty aren't lacking however. 600 page novels for "kids" isn't what one normally thinks of as "kids" books. Are the situations fantastic and pretty much unbelieveable? Sometimes. Ever read Stephen King?

Yeah, I'll use "muggle" in conversations with other cachers, but I have no need of the term in geocaching related conversations with INFIDELS. Like that one better?

Edited by hairball45

I agree, for such a creative group of people it seems like we could do better than "borrow" a term such as this. Maybe my GPS is powered by The Force and we should all Live long and prosper... :-)

I don't see a need to be to serious about our game but also don't feel the need to talk in Harry Potter lingo either. I have used the term non gamer before and it worked ok. In the big picture, not that big of a issue but it can make you feel silly as an adult talking to anyone older than twelve years old.

I agree, for such a creative group of people it seems like we could do better than "borrow" a term such as this. Maybe my GPS is powered by The Force and we should all Live long and prosper... :-)

I don't see a need to be to serious about our game but also don't feel the need to talk in Harry Potter lingo either. I have used the term non gamer before and it worked ok. In the big picture, not that big of a issue but it can make you feel silly as an adult talking to anyone older than twelve years old.

As I have said before... "Muggle" is not a term coined in Harry Potter literature. It is a word that has been around before Harry Potter was a gleam in Rowlins eyes. It is perfectly descriptive of what a muggle is.

discussing a change like that in here will never make any difference, if you want a different word to be used, then come up with one that makes sense to you, and start using it. Muggle is simple, fun, and fits the definition.

I have seen people make this request before, but haven't seem them comeup with an alternative.

What are you talking about, Robert? We long ago settled upon "Wrastro" (and "Wrastro'd")

As long as the non-geocachers hear the word "muggles" and not "mugs" that's fine with me. I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, and didn't know the term came from there until I was told. We also use a quiet "psst" and eye movement to indicate the direction from where "company" is coming.

I understand that is works well with kids and that it means non-geocachers. But I don't understand why it has become the standard. I don't have any children, so when I try to explain caching to my friends and family it sounds ridiculous to start talking about a term from Hairy Potter.

Is it time to change this term to something more serious?

There will those of you who will immediately say "It's just a game, its not serious" Well, football and basketball are just a game. But they are marketed seriously. Kids on the playground can play sports for fun but eventually they strive to emulate the professionals. Can geocaching follow that example?

I would love to see geocaching become a little more accepted and understood. It angers me to see people roll their eyes or give funny looks while I am explaining it. It sounds like a kiddy game but it's not. You can really have some interesting trips from geocaching. Keeping the kiddy terms could prevent some people that would have had a great time and contributed to the sport well, away from it.

Let the bash fest begin!

Despite that most of the replies I skimmed over imply you're vastly outnumbered, I'm on your side for this one. Personally, I can't stand using the term "muggle", since it just sounds... well... stupid. No need to step around it... I just think it's a term that sounds utterly stupid.

However, as others have said, it IS the official term.

However again, I simply choose not to use that term. Any time I need to refer to a "muggle" in a geocaching log or when talking to people, I use the term "bystander". And a cache that has been "muggled" has instead been "stolen". Problem solved :D

Edited by Kabuthunk

discussing a change like that in here will never make any difference, if you want a different word to be used, then come up with one that makes sense to you, and start using it. Muggle is simple, fun, and fits the definition.

I have seen people make this request before, but haven't seem them comeup with an alternative.

Yep. It is fun, it does fit and it's recent popular use made it a natural for geocaching. It would be very difficult to find an alternative that grabs folks better than muggle does. Much less get folks to use it.

I understand that is works well with kids and that it means non-geocachers. But I don't understand why it has become the standard. I don't have any children, so when I try to explain caching to my friends and family it sounds ridiculous to start talking about a term from Hairy Potter.

Is it time to change this term to something more serious?

There will those of you who will immediately say "It's just a game, its not serious" Well, football and basketball are just a game. But they are marketed seriously. Kids on the playground can play sports for fun but eventually they strive to emulate the professionals. Can geocaching follow that example?

I would love to see geocaching become a little more accepted and understood. It angers me to see people roll their eyes or give funny looks while I am explaining it. It sounds like a kiddy game but it's not. You can really have some interesting trips from geocaching. Keeping the kiddy terms could prevent some people that would have had a great time and contributed to the sport well, away from it.

Let the bash fest begin!

i agree it is a childs term, so i will not use it I will just sau "NON-GEOCACHER"

i agree though it is too deeply embeded so no change seems likley

Edited by Contra1971

I particularly like the suggestion of the term 'infidels' earlier on in this thread... but then I have a vision of cachers hiding an urban ammo can and upon being spotted being overheard to have said "Quick, Infidels... run!"

Which would mean a lot more caches being blown up by bomb squads.

I might end up yelling that in a mall a time or two.

Bet I get Christmas shopping done faster. :P

previous post is correct, if we want it to change we must forcefully start using an alternative and see if you can get others in your area to start using it as well. I have actively starting using sith and sithed ... it is shorter than muggled and easier to type even

previous post is correct, if we want it to change we must forcefully start using an alternative and see if you can get others in your area to start using it as well. I have actively starting using sith and sithed ... it is shorter than muggled and easier to type even

And one being particularly annoying can be called a sithhead? Was there sith scattered all over the park? Would we then refer to CITO events to picking up sith droppings?

I just want to know... :P

I never saw Harry Potter, so I dont know if I would be a fan or not. Ive used Muggler before when telling someone about being stealthy, but I never got a bad response. The word doesnt really bug me one way or the other.

When we go out in a pair or more, We use "spy". When you say it loud enough, its an alert of someone coming. You can work it into " I SPY something....green" Then you just look like a couple of goofs in the woods playing "I spy".

The cache got "spyed" ...not sure if it works.

Snooper could work. The cache might get snooped.

Meddler? It got meddled....hmmm.

Gladiss Kravitz ( for those of you old enough to remember the old Bewitched series..black and white too. ) Gladiss is coming....the cache got Kravitzed??? I guess not :P

Come on people! It's time to stop using the term. I'm going to do my part by going through all my logs and caches and deleting every mention of it.

Who's with me!?!?

I'm with you! I prefer NPC (Non player character). I guess that's geeky too if you know where it comes from... but at least it doesn't sound as fruity as "muggle".

I cant remember the name of that movie from lots of years back. It had Donald Sutherland in it. Kind of horror/sci fi. Kind of a body snatchers/early zombie/alien type movie. Was it Invasion of the Body Snatchers? When ever one of these "zombie"types saw you they alerted the other ones by pointing their finger at you and letting out a really blood curdling screach. If someone could help out...maybe we can do that when the non cacher type comes along. Whats the word"? Sorry cant remember the title right now. :P

Edited by TeamVasquez

As a new GCer and a non-HP fan, I like "Muggle". I was telling a friend about geocaching a couple of weeks ago while we were doing our volunteer work on campus. One of the maintenance guys was coming over and I say to her, "It's a Muggle!" She just laughed and knew the word from HP. The next week she brought me a t-shirt with Muggle on it! I can hardly wait to wear it caching! :P

isn't sith from star wars

i like muggle

You know, I've never liked the word muggle either. I never use it because I feel silly saying it. We do need a better replacement, maybe something a little more manly. No offense girls.

How about "Geosensors".

Example:

"Hey mickey, don't look now because there are geosensors nearby."

I am sorry this is the best I can come up with when I am sleep depraved.

By the way, what's up with the green frogs with the antennas on their heads?

Jeep Del Fuego

I cant remember the name of that movie from lots of years back. It had Donald Sutherland in it. Kind of horror/sci fi. Kind of a body snatchers/early zombie/alien type movie. Was it Invasion of the Body Snatchers? When ever one of these "zombie"types saw you they alerted the other ones by pointing their finger at you and letting out a really blood curdling screach. If someone could help out...maybe we can do that when the non cacher type comes along. Whats the word"? Sorry cant remember the title right now. :P

Yeah, it was Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I never thought the screach was an actual word tho - I thought it was just a noise they made.

(man - I loved that movie - scared me half to death watching it alone, late one night!)

INTERLOPER!!

+1 ...or maybe shorten it. My family uses the saying LP when we want to keep something on the down low. (Low Profile)

OK, Loper.

Your cache gets Loped. Here comes some lopers.

It works.

Interloper - NOUN: 1. One that interferes with the affairs of others, often for selfish reasons; a meddler.

Really it was just a reference to the Invasion of the Body snatchers but it would work.

OK, Loper.

It works.

Interloper - NOUN: 1. One that interferes with the affairs of others, often for selfish reasons; a meddler.

Really it was just a reference to the Invasion of the Body snatchers but it would work.

I guess you are a Über Genius. I want to start using this. Anyone with me?

OK, Loper.

It works.

Technically it's an Über Genius but I'm going to let it slide cuz you like my idea.

:P

Imagine going to a standing in line for the Star Trek movie and when someone blurts out "I can't wait for him to say 'Beam Me Up, Scotty'". Then you turn to them and say "Though it has become irrevocably associated with the series, the exact phrase was never actually spoken in any Star Trek television episode or film. Captain Kirk comes closest to saying the phrase in the Original Series episode 'The Gamesters of Triskelion', by saying, 'Scotty, beam up'".

Whoa, how long did you wait to use this?

Edited by bluesygy

I am new to this so my opinion may not carry much weight here..... and you should all know that concerns me greatly. I have only been out caching alone thus far and when interrupted by "muggles" I have merely muttered under my breath, "Bastards"! I propose this as an alternative term to" muggles".

I really hope y'all are not being serious.

Firstly, the word "muggle" predates Harry Potter. JK just used the word in her books. She didn't invent it. Like many other words, it has evolved in its meaning.

Secondly, changing a word cos you don't like the movie reference, then replacing it with another movie reference - well that's just silly.

Thirdly, and most importantly, when a large group of people uses particular terminology, it makes no sense to change it just for the sake of changing it, even if it is technically incorrect. eg "dial" a phone number, "turn" on a tv, the point is, people understand what it means.

OTOH, it is such an American tradition to change words just for the sake of it. bedside table became nightstand, curtains became drapes, footpath became sidewalk. Yeah - why not change it so America can no longer understand the rest of the English speaking world. But we'd have to drop the "u" cos that's the done thing, right? (honour, colour, favour, mggle) :P

I hope y'all know, I am not being serious.

Secondly, changing a word cos you don't like the movie reference, then replacing it with another movie reference - well that's just silly.

How about game references then? Ghosts, since we're all like pacman going after the cache, non-players are like the ghosts.

Or TV? Can't believe no-one thought of this yet - Others (from Lost)!

:P

OK, Loper.

It works.

Nah, I still like Wrastro

I agree, for such a creative group of people it seems like we could do better than "borrow" a term such as this. Maybe my GPS is powered by The Force and we should all Live long and prosper... :-) ...

It was the right word at the right time and popped up about the same time all over the caching landscape. Nobody has come up with a better word and if they ever did maybe it would replace muggle. Until then it's like spitting into the wind. Alternate words that any one person likes better are easy. Truly better words? It hasn't happened yet.

FYI: The Force is what draws you to a specific spot where the cache is. It does get used but not as commonly as muggle.

Anymore Live Long and Prosper translates into "No Sex for You!" so that's probably safe from adoption.

I never saw Harry Potter, so I dont know if I would be a fan or not. Ive used Muggler before when telling someone about being stealthy, but I never got a bad response. The word doesnt really bug me one way or the other.

Muggler? What is a muggler... something like a muggle? :D

Ok you got me...maybe thats why it didnt bother me so much. I was calling them mugglers...Now if I have to call them "muggles" its gonna bug me :(

Edited by TeamVasquez

Well I'm still thinking along the lines of zombies but maybe I'll be a bit more subtle...

I don't know if anyone here will get the reference but I'm thinking of something Kirkmanesque like distinguishing between the 3 types... lurkers, roamers and herds.

Yup I think I'm going to try out those phrases, and I'm going to try and wean my wife off muggles but whether I'll be successful I don't know.

Before I started geocaching, when we saw someone coming up the trail, we would say "bugs!", or we simply said "incoming!". I use the term 'muggle' now, only because other geocachers know what it is, but with my everyday pals, 'Bugs' still works just fine. So does "incoming!" It's short, and to the point. With "bugs" though, if they hear me, they don't know I'm talking about them, they think I'm being annoyed by bugs. Since muggles can be annoying at times, Bugs works well for me. Until winter sets in. Let them think I'm crazy. I don't care! :D