Garmin Price Drop Soon?

After hearing about the new Oregon 550 units starting to show up as pre-orders--I'm wondering if/when Garmin will start discounting their existing Oregon line. I did see the recent Oregon rebates that just ran out but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet.

I'm secretly hoping for a price drop on the 60csx unit.

Cosmos1

While my crystal ball is just as foggy as anyone elses, don't hold your breath.

IMO, the 60CSx is the least likely of all current units to experience a price drop. It uses the Sirf chip which is the most expensive current GPS chip and it has an amazingly loyal following. It is somewhat of an antique, built like a tank and likely to live long after other models are discontinued.

The 60CSX is a microcosm. It's the goto GPS for many agency's such as ours that like reliably accurate data without the hassle of expensive, high learning curve units like those offered by Trimble. The smooth and accurate tracklog is used to measure acreage and field boundaries, the averaging combined with excellent WAAS reception is used to record highly accurate positional data.

It's my belief that the 60CSX, in light of the early problems with their newer units, is still selling at a rate which precludes them discounting or reducing the suggested retail price. It's still a bomber unit for a vast majority of users and still, despite "advances" in handheld GPS design, has alot going for it: big bright screen, great battery life, excellent reception, great tracklog management, fairly reliable compass, tough and well implemented form-factor, along with countless other features which make it more of a tool than a gadget.

It's been close to four years since it's release and the price is still up there when the Colorado's and even some of the Oregons have been seen in the discount rack already. That being said, the 60CSX is in fact listed cheaper on Garmins website compared to the newer units.

My 2 cents :blink:

Edited by yogazoo

Yagazoo has some great points.

I've looked very good at the Oregon 300, PN-40 and the 60Csx. My priorities are accuracy, readability and reliability. I believe that means a 60Csx. I really wanted paperless but I'm not ready to give up any other my three needs first. I can stick with my Palm and GPX Spinner.

I think the price is worth it, too. I just hate buying something and the price goes down in a couple of weeks.

:blink:

I picked up 2 60csx units for a really really good price, sold one on ebay and still have a new one in the box

Never used it, i always use my Vista HCx, should i look into using the 60CSx instead? i had considered selling the 60CSx and getting an oregon 400 but after reading this post i am not so sure :blink:

After hearing about the new Oregon 550 units starting to show up as pre-orders--I'm wondering if/when Garmin will start discounting their existing Oregon line. I did see the recent Oregon rebates that just ran out but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet.

I'm secretly hoping for a price drop on the 60csx unit.

Cosmos1

I just picked up the Oregon 400t for $399 from REI. Best price i've seen anywhere, + another $50.00 from Garmin rebate. Not a bad deal