EVIL IDEA HELP

"Evil hide" covers quite a bit of territory. Also, its hard to say without knowing your area. Most of my hides come about because I see something first that isn't (or doesn't have) a cache, and a lightbulb goes off. I've made a number of "evil caches" without knowing where I was going to place them, and still have them sitting around, waiting for the right place. In other words, my advice is to put the horse before the cart.

"Evil hide" covers quite a bit of territory. Also, its hard to say without knowing your area. Most of my hides come about because I see something first that isn't (or doesn't have) a cache, and a lightbulb goes off. I've made a number of "evil caches" without knowing where I was going to place them, and still have them sitting around, waiting for the right place. In other words, my advice is to put the horse before the cart.

waiting...

There's a difference between evil and mean. I like evil. I don't like mean.

Mean, to me is a needle in a haystack find like a fake rock tossed into a 50 foot wide pile of rocks.

Evil is a compliment, where you're "wow'd" when you find it.

I like caches that blend in to their surroundings, whether it be a nano painted to match the surrounding area or something else.

To better clarify. I am just looking for examples/ideas in general. I am trying to get a "spark" to turn the light bulb on here. My area is in nj so it has rural(woods, parks, etc.)but then there are areas that are commercial(malls,store, retail, residential).

I guess a better question to ask is , what evil micro/nano have you come across of?

Sorry to be so broad in the begining.

The best suggestion I can offer is this: Figure out where you're going to hide the cache, and then wander around and look at everything. What objects are around that could contain a log if they were hollow? What objects could you add to the location that would blend in with everything that's already there?

Then figure out how to make a cache that looks like that.

It's probably easier to fabricate a cache that looks like something, than to hollow out a real object. For example, you could take a real bolt and bore out a hole down the middle. Or, you could use a piece of threaded lamp pipe and a matching nut to make a cache container that looks like a bolt. It helps to be familiar with what's available at your local hardware and craft stores.

Don't be afraid to add extra bits if it helps the camouflage. If there are two voids in a structure, then hiding a cache in one of them might stand out. But if you put the cache in one, and a decoy in the other, then neither one will stand out.

Edited by niraD

niraD offered some excellent advice.

You won't be hiding an "evil" cache unless it is unique. The first LPC was probably considered "evil" at the time. The same could be said for many other "copy-cat" caches that we now consider "lame". What makes it not only "evil", but one that will having others saying "wow!" is an original idea, well executed. The creativity needs to be your own, not ours.

Not trying to "not" give you advice... trying to give you the best possible advice.

Think not just about the hide, but also how the cache is retrieved. One cache I found is high up in a tree, easily visible from the ground but the tree has thin branches and is definitely not climb-able. If you look closely, you will see a fishingline going from the cache to another tree. What you need to do is loosen the line to lower the cache to the ground, then throw it back in the tree after you wrote in the log.

There is another cache around here- I have not gone to look for it yet but heard about it- that is deep in a hollow tree; you can see it but not reach it. To get it, you must get some water from the nearby lake, pour it in the tree, and it'll float to the top. Drop the cache back in the water when done, and the water will slowly seep through the tree into the ground, "hiding" the cache again for the next geocacher within a few hours.

i have two different parks in mind for the location. Still debating which one, but just trying to come up with a container for a log only. I have been thinking about creating a bolt cache for a long time but I dont have a drill press. I may take the idea of thread pipe and add a few extra bolt on that like it was mentioned earlier. Fishing line sounds good but afraid of it breaking or coming undone if not tied correctly. At a hardware store or hd what can you use to make a nano?

Fishing line sounds good but afraid of it breaking or coming undone if not tied correctly.
I've found a few caches that were suspended by fishing line. I could see the fishing line, but the caches themselves were out of sight until I pulled on the fishing line to retrieve them. If the cache itself can't be seen, then you can use a larger container without compromising the hide.

The fishing line of these caches stayed tied. Usually, it was secured to the container lid. If you wanted to walk away a bit to sign the log, you could open the cache and leave the lid. But no one needed to untie the fishing line, and no one needed to retie it properly.

My understanding is that fishing line deteriorates in the sun's UV light. Part of maintaining such a cache is replacing the fishing line regularly, hopefully before it breaks.

At a hardware store or hd what can you use to make a nano?
Don't forget to consider ways to use hardware or craft supplies to camouflage proven containers. If you start with a beach safe or match holder or bison tube or wide-mouth water bottle, then you don't have to worry about whether your container is waterproof.

I came across an evil hide once, where the cache was inside a metal fence pole by a lake. I dug up a container and poured water into the pipe, but the water leaked too quickly to fill the pole. I don't even think two people working together could've been quick enough. I then tried getting a long stick and reaching the cache that way, but there was no good surface to grip it with.

There's no telling how much longer I would've been there if I hadn't looked at the hiding spot at just the right angle, and noticed the fishing line tied to the cache. All I had to do was just pull it up. [:blink:]

Plenty of vendors sell 'evil' caches that you can buy (or duplicate!)

http://ingenious-cache-inventor.blogspot.c...thing-evil.html

http://ultimatecache.com/product_info.php?products_id=31

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Crazy-Caches__W0QQ_armrsZ1

http://www.crazycaches.com/ultimate-nightm...ainer-p-51.html

I had a fake leaf, two pieces of green cloth shaped like an ivy leaf and sewn together to make a pocket for a flat container. It could be a serious bugger to find and folks seemed to love it.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
I guess a better question to ask is , what evil micro/nano have you come across of?

I found one that was a beer bottle cap with the sides squashed in and the logsheet was tucked inside. needed tweezers or key/screwdriver to get it out. it was tossed on the ground next to a lamp post so you got tricked into thinking it was under the lamp post cover. i almost CITO'd it.

i have two different parks in mind for the location. Still debating which one, but just trying to come up with a container for a log only. I have been thinking about creating a bolt cache for a long time but I dont have a drill press. I may take the idea of thread pipe and add a few extra bolt on that like it was mentioned earlier. Fishing line sounds good but afraid of it breaking or coming undone if not tied correctly. At a hardware store or hd what can you use to make a nano?

Have you ever seen what can happen to a bird when it gets entangled in fishing line in tree?

while it might make for an evil cache, it wouldn't be good for the wildlife and cruel.

Some evil person in my area machined thier own bolt and put a nano inside. They bolted the bolt to a parking sign. evil.

And that brings up the question: Are hides which require tools to discover or retrieve officially accepted by the geocaching community?

Pete the Curious

Edited by Curioddity
And that brings up the question: Are hides which require tools to discover or retrieve officially accepted by the geocaching community?
Caches that require special equipment should be rated 5 stars for difficulty/terrain. But you'll find some disagreement about what's "special equipment" and what's just a normal tool of the trade (TOTT).

I found a very tricky one that was on the side of a wooden staircase. It was a shell filled with resin with a cm of fishing line attached to a nano,the nano was inside a hole that was drilled in the wood.

It took a long time to find as the shell was idendtical to a snail and was also well covered.

Evil, where to start. I have been called evil by more than one person when out finding some of mine.

Is there a vehicle or wheel on a rim on public display somewhere. I have a cache that is on a vehicle on display at the entrance to a speedway. I removed the core from a wheel valve stem, drilled it out a bit more, and this became a micro ccahe container, with a valve cap to provide protection.

I have a micro container about the size of a cigarette filter hanging by a fishing trace in a mangrove swamp tree in the middle of nowhere.

I had a waypoint hanging underwater by a stainless steel thread about the thickness of a human hair. It hung from a galvanised grill, which allowed the thread to blend in perfectly, and be almost impossible to see.

I have found a few caches that are a sheet of magnetic sign material, painted to blend into whatever it was stuck to, and covering a sheet of waterproof paper that was the logbook.

I have a small cache, about an inch diameter and about 12 inches long, with a rock stuck to it, in this wall.

wailingwall.jpg

Cheers

Bundy

To better clarify. I am just looking for examples/ideas in general. I am trying to get a "spark" to turn the light bulb on here. My area is in nj so it has rural(woods, parks, etc.)but then there are areas that are commercial(malls,store, retail, residential).

Sorry to be so broad in the begining.

You should get plenty of spark from this thread.