Vista HCx and Legend HCx version 3.00

I went to 3.00 (Vista Hcx) and have the shutdown problem. The catch is my card us a Sandisk 2 gb card but it is already preloaded with CN NT 2008 so it's not like I can reformat.

Do you have a mac? Find a Windows pc and remove the hidden spotlight and trashcan files from the card. I don't think you need to format the card.

You can also delete those hidden files easily from a mac terminal window. I can post the exact commands if anyone needs them. No need for a windows pc to do this.

I would appriciate if you posted the commands, thanks!

1) Connect your GPSr to the mac in USB Mass Storage mode, Setup->Interface->Enter. Or mount your micro SD card to the mac via an SD card reader. The commands are the same either way.

2) Look on your desktop or the Finder and make note of the name of the SD card that got mounted, in my case it is named "UNTITLED". Your name maybe different, and if it is then substitute your name for my UNTITLED name.

2) Open the Terminal on your mac, either from the icon in your dock,

or from Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app. If this is a problem so far, then I would suggest not going on as it gets a little more complicated.

3) Enter the following commands at the Terminal prompt ($). My comments are in brackets, [my comments].

$ cd /Volume/

$ ls

Macintosh HD UNTITLED

$ cd UNTITLED [replace UNTITLED with your card name]

$ ls -al

total 40

drwxrwxrwx 1 don staff 4096 Jul 25 16:27 .

drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root admin 136 Jul 25 16:00 ..

drwxrwxrwx 1 don staff 4096 Jul 25 15:57 .Spotlight-V100

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 don staff 4096 Jul 25 16:00 .Trashes

-rwxrwxrwx 1 don staff 4096 Jul 25 15:57 ._.Trashes

drwxrwxrwx 1 don staff 4096 Jul 25 16:00 .fseventsd

$ rm -r .Spotlight-V100/

$ rm -r .fseventsd/

$ rm -r .Trashes/

$ cd ..

4) Now you can eject your SD card via the Finder or Desktop icon.

5) Replace the SD card into the GPSr and see if that fixes the problem, it always does for me. But remember that if you ever connect the SD card to your mac again the bad files will be rewritten to the card and you would have to repeat the above steps again.

Let me know if this works for you or if I need to clarify anything.

I went to 3.00 (Vista Hcx) and have the shutdown problem. The catch is my card us a Sandisk 2 gb card but it is already preloaded with CN NT 2008 so it's not like I can reformat.

Do you have a mac? Find a Windows pc and remove the hidden spotlight and trashcan files from the card. I don't think you need to format the card.

You can also delete those hidden files easily from a mac terminal window. I can post the exact commands if anyone needs them. No need for a windows pc to do this.

1) Connect your GPSr to the mac in USB Mass Storage mode, Setup->Interface->Enter. Or mount your micro SD card to the mac via an SD card reader. The commands are the same either way.

2) Look on your desktop or the Finder and make note of the name of the SD card that got mounted, in my case it is named "UNTITLED". Your name maybe different, and if it is then substitute your name for my UNTITLED name.

or from Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app. If this is a problem so far, then I would suggest not going on as it gets a little more complicated.

3) Enter the following commands at the Terminal prompt ($). My comments are in brackets, [my comments].

$ cd /Volume/

$ ls

Macintosh HD UNTITLED

$ ls -al

total 40

$ rm -r .Spotlight-V100/

$ rm -r .fseventsd/

$ rm -r .Trashes/

$ cd ..

5) Replace the SD card into the GPSr and see if that fixes the problem, it always does for me. But remember that if you ever connect the SD card to your mac again the bad files will be rewritten to the card and you would have to repeat the above steps again.

Awesome, it worked for me :D . I had to take out the third line for it to work, for some reason.

Awesome, it worked for me :D . I had to take out the third line for it to work, for some reason.

Great, glad to hear it worked for you!

Can you tell me exactly what line or what command you took out, so I can edit the procedure?

Thanks.

I actually took out this whole part:

$ ls

Macintosh HD UNTITLED

and for the very first command it should be

$ cd /volumes/UNTITLED (I'm not sure if you were implying this or not, I'm not that computer-savvy)

Great, glad to hear it worked for you!

Can you tell me exactly what line or what command you took out, so I can edit the procedure?

Thanks.

I actually took out this whole part:

$ ls

Macintosh HD UNTITLED

and for the very first command it should be

$ cd /volumes/UNTITLED (I'm not sure if you were implying this or not, I'm not that computer-savvy)

Yes, that would work as long as your SD card is named "UNTITLED". Don't know if that will work for everyone, which is why I wanted to display the name before cd to that directory. Thanks.

Since I applied the update my Vista continues with a low tone until I take the batteries out. Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

I'm seeing this behavior most but not all of the time when the card is in. Yes, I do use a Mac. I don't believe there's a way to stop the Finder from creating those hidden files though. Maybe I will add the removal commands to my script that runs when the card is mounted.

What does this mean? "Modify track log function for steady barometer output at power on."

Sometimes I've seen a large spike in elevation data at power on. Presumably this fixes that.

With 3.00 and card inserted I can't turn on track log without hanging the GPS.

I observed the same but tried again and it worked.

Yes, I do use a Mac. I don't believe there's a way to stop the Finder from creating those hidden files though. Maybe I will add the removal commands to my script that runs when the card is mounted.

I think the mac has always added those hidden files but it didn't become a problem until version 3.00. Hopefully Garmin will fix the problem in a later release.

Can you tell me how to run a script when the card is mounted? That sounds like a useful thing to know.

Thanks.

Since I applied the update my Vista continues with a low tone until I take the batteries out. Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

I'm seeing this behavior most but not all of the time when the card is in. Yes, I do use a Mac. I don't believe there's a way to stop the Finder from creating those hidden files though. Maybe I will add the removal commands to my script that runs when the card is mounted.

What does this mean? "Modify track log function for steady barometer output at power on."

Sometimes I've seen a large spike in elevation data at power on. Presumably this fixes that.

With 3.00 and card inserted I can't turn on track log without hanging the GPS.

I observed the same but tried again and it worked.

It's nice to see MACs get beat up once in a while. Who would have an OS write these files to every card it sees? Bizarre.

Who would have an OS write these files to every card it sees?
".Trashes" is used to store items deleted or "trashed" from the volume. ".fseventsd" is used in tracking filesystem changes. ".Spotlight-V100" stores indexing data to aid in searching.

I don't see why Garmin's software should care about other files existing on the card.

... I don't believe there's a way to stop the Finder from creating those hidden files ...
http://zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

Not worth the money to work around a bug that really is Garmin's. The software usually doesn't care about other files on the card. As long as there's a Garmin/ folder it ought to be happy.

Now I wonder exactly which of the folders causes it? Time for some testing...

...Not worth the money to work around a bug that really is Garmin's. ...
Actually, these Mac specific files can cause problems for a variety of software when you use media (hard drives or flash memory) across different platforms. Blue Harvest doesn't exist only to work around "a bug that is really Garmin's."

$ cd /Volume/

$ ls

Macintosh HD UNTITLED

$ ls -al

total 40

$ rm -r .Spotlight-V100/

$ rm -r .fseventsd/

$ rm -r .Trashes/

$ cd ..

Works so far. FYI Volume was Volumes on my mac. But so far so good I can turn it on more that once with out lockup so that is good. Need to see if the maps are working now.