Vista HCx and Legend HCx version 3.00

I upgraded last week and took my Vista HCx out this past weekend and worked flawlessly. In fact it appears to have corrected a problem I had with 2.8 where I would enable routing and when I would reach the cache and stop routing it would freeze up. However, I didn't try using tracks but I was able to enable and disable them tonight without any problems. Also, I haven't tried to upload any new maps, tracks, or waypoints since the upgrade. Unless I encounter any problems with up/downloads or tracks I am currently happy with the upgrade.

I upgraded last week and took my Vista HCx out this past weekend and worked flawlessly. In fact it appears to have corrected a problem I had with 2.8 where I would enable routing and when I would reach the cache and stop routing it would freeze up. However, I didn't try using tracks but I was able to enable and disable them tonight without any problems. Also, I haven't tried to upload any new maps, tracks, or waypoints since the upgrade. Unless I encounter any problems with up/downloads or tracks I am currently happy with the upgrade.

What brand of the memorycard are you using and of what size is it?

Edited by gunnar_g

I just installed the new software in my Legend HCx (2GB Kingston SD) and had no problems whatsoever.

The reason for updating was that I hoped that this version would solve a problem I've had since I bought it. The problem appears when I go from high speed to low. When I drive my car with the GPS in map view it works just fine. But when I park and get out of the car the GPS will not update neither the map view nor the compass view. The only thing still working is the data field showing the distance. If I keep on walking for a while eventually the compass view starts to work. After yet a couple of minutes the map view starts to work also. This behaviour is extremely annoying since I always gets behind when it comes to finding caches.

One solution is to turn the GPS off and then on again directly after stopping which makes the GPS work normally again. The fact that this works and the situation where the problem appears has lead me to believe that it's caused by the sudden change of speed. That's also why I thought that the update could help (vertical speed, glide ratio).

Yesterday I tested with the new software version installed. I was happy at first when the GPS seemed to start navigating much quicker than before, but at my next cache it was locked up the same way as before the update :laughing:

Are there more of you out there with the same problem? I have heard of some people here in Sweden with the same experiences and we all have in common that we use the map "Friluftskartan Pro". Anyone heard of a solution?

Edited by The Strat

I just installed the new software in my Legend HCx (2GB Kingston SD) and had no problems whatsoever.

The reason for updating was that I hoped that this version would solve a problem I've had since I bought it. The problem appears when I go from high speed to low. When I drive my car with the GPS in map view it works just fine. But when I park and get out of the car the GPS will not update neither the map view nor the compass view. The only thing still working is the data field showing the distance. If I keep on walking for a while eventually the compass view starts to work. After yet a couple of minutes the map view starts to work also. This behaviour is extremely annoying since I always gets behind when it comes to finding caches.

One solution is to turn the GPS off and then on again directly after stopping which makes the GPS work normally again. The fact that this works and the situation where the problem appears has lead me to believe that it's caused by the sudden change of speed. That's also why I thought that the update could help (vertical speed, glide ratio).

Yesterday I tested with the new software version installed. I was happy at first when the GPS seemed to start navigating much quicker than before, but at my next cache it was locked up the same way as before the update :laughing:

Are there more of you out there with the same problem? I have heard of some people here in Sweden with the same experiences and we all have in common that we use the map "Friluftskartan Pro". Anyone heard of a solution?

Do you have "lock on road" ON? If yes, then the GPS seems to be stuck in the car (on the road) when you leave it, unless you walk along the road.

When you are driving with your GPS and then get out of the car, the compass won't work for a period of time. That period of time is a user setting. Check out your paper manual on page 28.

Press menu twice..setup..heading...Switch to compass heading when below...for more than...

I bet your Vista has working normally all along. It's not "locking up". It's NORMAL!

Do you have "lock on road" ON? If yes, then the GPS seems to be stuck in the car (on the road) when you leave it, unless you walk along the road.

Thanks gunnar_g! No, I have "lock on road" turned off. It was on before but I could not see any change in the behaviour when I turned it off.

When you are driving with your GPS and then get out of the car, the compass won't work for a period of time. That period of time is a user setting. Check out your paper manual on page 28.

Press menu twice..setup..heading...Switch to compass heading when below...for more than...

I bet your Vista has working normally all along. It's not "locking up". It's NORMAL!

Thanks guggie! I checked my manual and found the text you are referring to. Turns out that this is only for Vista and Summit owners who have electronic compasses. Mine is a Legend and does not have this setting in the "heading" menu.

Upgraded my Vista HCX to 3.00. I have close to 4 GB of maps loaded on a Sandisk 8GB microSDHC card. No problems so far. The maps are from the 24k Topo! West, CN NA 2009, Inland Lake 2008 and Blue Charts Americas 2008.

One note, a 4GB card is not large enough to hold 4 GB of Garmin maps.

Actually, it's easy to find out if it is maprelated. Just disable "Friluftskartan Pro" and just use the basemap. I know, it sucks, but just for a while to see if the problem goes away. If that helps, then lets have a look at the settings.

This is my settings (in swedish):

Riktning: Norr upp

Autozoom: Till

Detaljer: Normal

Lås på väg: Från

I have not had any issues with Friluftskartan Pro on my Legend HCx, but on my Nüvi it totally locks the map in certain areas. However, I've not visited those areas since I got the Legend HCx so I do not yet know how it will behave when I do.

i have upgraded to 3.00/2.80. i think i will try it in next days, but i am happy that it supports SDHC micro cards! that is what i really need, because otherwise i should everytime choose what to load and what not. i hope that there will not be a drift problem :ph34r:

I have a Vista HCx and SanDisk 2G memorycard. With 3.00 and card inserted I can't turn on track log without hanging the GPS. With no card it's not a problem. So I downgraded.

I have had the tone on power off with both 2.80 and 3.00 and I have keytone off. It happens every 20th time I think.

I emailed Garmin about this, and here is the reply I got...

Was that card ever used in a cell phone or another mobile device. You may need to reformat the card to FAT32. This should eliminate the issue. Let me know what you find out.

Since I applied the update my Vista continues with a low tone until I take the batteries out. Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

:D I have the same problem after updating to the 3.0 software. The tone is the (on/off power) alarm that should just beep when we turn on our units. I bet if you don't remove one of the batteries you can not restart your unit too. Wish I had never upgraded Now.. :lol:

I do have a email sent in to support and maybe I will figure out how to go back to the 2.8 version..

It seems obvious that if you don't remove a battery the unit will eat up the batteries and my tone is annoying.

I talked with Garmin support, and the microSD card must be formatted to FAT32 and everything works fine on the 3.0 firmware!

I talked with Garmin support, and the microSD card must be formatted to FAT32 and everything works fine on the 3.0 firmware!

great :D

* Add support for maps greater than 2 GB.

on fat32 ???? :):)

if someone manage to put .img file greater than 2GB and have it working, please tell me on which file format because fat32 definitely can't be. ;)

if someone manage to put .img file greater than 2GB and have it working, please tell me on which file format because fat32 definitely can't be. ;)

I have a 4 GB map image with multiple maps on an 8 GB Sandisk microsdhc card. The card is formated with FAT32.

Here's a quote from the FAT wiki on wikipedia.

"The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes). "

The file size limit is 4GB with fat32 and 2GB with fat16.

I was having the tone/beeping issue with my Legend HCX (and MAC). Contact tech support and they wanted me to send unit in for repair post the "upgrade". I went a bought a new 2gig card instead and redownloaded the maps...seemed less of a hassle for something that is not really wrong.

I'll join in and state that I'm having the same problem with the beep on shutdown. Definitely related to the card, as it doesn't happen with the card out. I am using a brand new 2gb sdhc Sandisk.

Steph2472 - did the problem go away with the new card?

I was having the tone/beeping issue with my Legend HCX (and MAC). Contact tech support and they wanted me to send unit in for repair post the "upgrade". I went a bought a new 2gig card instead and redownloaded the maps...seemed less of a hassle for something that is not really wrong.

I just bought a new vista hcx, and even though I had read this thread I couldn't resist the temptation to upgrade the firmware. I wanted to test maps over 2 gb, since loading all the free maps for the USA, NE, and Canada were going to put me over 2 gb. In any case, I also have the beeping on shutdown. Removing the 4 gb card stops that. I was able to downgrade to 2.80 and that seems to be working with the card and the maps. Bummer.

Hi all, yesterday my Vista HCx decided to stop counting the traveled distance.

The unit works otherwise fine, it records tracks as usual and displays the moving speed. Routing is as good as ever.

On my main map page I set the two readings on top of the screen as 1) the actual speed and 2) the odometer. Speed works fine but the odometer keeps reading zero.

In first place I searched for Garmin contacts or customer support but I couldn't find anything on their website. Not finding a Garmin contact for support is as annoying as the problem itself.

On my "trip computer" page, the readings that stopped working and show zero values are:

- Odometer

- Moving time

- Moving average

- Overall average

I still get the max speed, elevation and stopped time (which is then the time the unit has been on).

I get this problem either when using the European or the US map, each on micro SD memory card. Swapping them doesn't help. I've been using the unit for almost one year with 4GB SDHC (PNY brand) cards without problems.

Any idea, trick or suggestion to fix the problem? Or contact information for Garmin support?

I thought that an option could be to re-install the same software version, which I have now downloaded as an .exe file.

My unit has:

- Software Version 2.70

- GPS software version 2.60

I also found the 2.80 version but I'd be interested to start with the 2.70 and see if it fixes the problem.

Could someone please explain how and what should I do to re-install it? I'm aware that my data will be lost but I'm afraid of doing something wrong! Please help!

Any guidance on the procedure will be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

My unit has:

- Software Version 2.70

- GPS software version 2.60

I also found the 2.80 version but I'd be interested to start with the 2.70 and see if it fixes the problem.

Could someone please explain how and what should I do to re-install it? I'm aware that my data will be lost but I'm afraid of doing something wrong! Please help!

Any guidance on the procedure will be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

The combination that has worked best for me is:

Software Version 2,80

Chipset (GPS software version) 2.50.

If you have a copy of software version 2.80, you should be able to install it by simply connecting your gpsr to the computer and double-clicking on the file.

Installing an older version of the chipset is a little more complicated. If you can find a copy, it will probably be a compressed file. When you unzip it, you should get two files - a *.rgn file (actually looks something like GPSChipsetTypeM2_RegionFile__250[1].rgn) and a file labeled updater. Assuming that you have webupdater installed on your computer, create a shortcut to update and put it in the same folder as the other two files. Connect the gpsr to your computer and then, drag the *.rgn file on top of the shortcut to WebUpdater. Updater should open and will then install the *.rgn file.

A friend has also a Vista HCx and last weekend the only thing we did was uploading some waypoints from my computer to the unit.

No problem, the unit was working correctly until at the evening it suddenly started beeping and the only way of shutting it up was removing the batteries... One day later he phoned me to explain this error and that his GPS was broke, but guess what: when phonecalling he booted several times his GPS and the problem did not occur.

So even without upgrading any unit-software it suddenly has this beeping-error, but apparently not everytime.

All tips are welcome to solve this annoying error.

Thx,

Leffunk

So I just learned Im having this same problem. software version 3.00 gps sw version 2.8.

I loaded some ibycus topo maps and now whenever I powerdown with the sd card in place it beeps untill batteries are removed. Is there a way to fix this or talk to garmin and send it in?

I just updated to sw ver 3.0 and have no problems. Did anyone notice the warning during the update?

"Please make sure the batteries in your Garmin device are fully charged before installing this software update. If the batteries fail during the update process, your device may become unusable and have to be returned to Garmin for service."

Not sure why the batteries need to be fully charged as power comes from the USB. But I verified my batteries were fully charged anyway and I also removed my SD card as a precaution. Update worked flawlessly.

I have a Vista HCx and SanDisk 2G memorycard. With 3.00 and card inserted I can't turn on track log without hanging the GPS. With no card it's not a problem. So I downgraded.

I have had the tone on power off with both 2.80 and 3.00 and I have keytone off. It happens every 20th time I think.

Was that card ever used in a cell phone or another mobile device. You may need to reformat the card to FAT32. This should eliminate the issue. Let me know what you find out.

The card has only been used in the Vista and it works with no problem in 2.80, but with 3.00 I can't turn on tracklogs.

The card has only been used in the Vista and it works with no problem in 2.80, but with 3.00 I can't turn on tracklogs.

I had the beeping problem but it seems to have gone away:

I downgraded to 2.8

I upgraded to 3.0

I reinstalled my maps

and then I used the device for a long stint (3-4 hours)

Since then I can't remember the last time i had the problem.

Still looking forward to 3.1 but glad that all is working well for now.

M.

So... I bougth a new card (Lexar 2G) and upgraded my Vista HCx to 3.00.

1. Insert blank Lexar card. turn on tracklog. No problem.

2. Copied all the maps and tracks from the old SANDisk card to Lexar. switched tracklog. No problem.

3. Formatted the SANDisk card (blank). Insert. switch tracklog. No problem.

4. Copied the maps and tracks to SANDisk card. switch tracklog. Frozen!

Conclusion. Some combination of map data and SANDisk 2G are not compatible with Vista HCx 3.00.

So my Vista HCx will stay with SW 3.00 and Lexar 2G card.

edit: But the power-off-beep-until-batteries-removed is now every time I power off.

Edited by gunnar_g

So... I bougth a new card (Lexar 2G) and upgraded my Vista HCx to 3.00.

1. Insert blank Lexar card. turn on tracklog. No problem.

2. Copied all the maps and tracks from the old SANDisk card to Lexar. switched tracklog. No problem.

3. Formatted the SANDisk card (blank). Insert. switch tracklog. No problem.

4. Copied the maps and tracks to SANDisk card. switch tracklog. Frozen!

Conclusion. Some combination of map data and SANDisk 2G are not compatible with Vista HCx 3.00.

So my Vista HCx will stay with SW 3.00 and Lexar 2G card.

edit: But the power-off-beep-until-batteries-removed is now every time I power off.

I had to quote myself one more time.. Solved both my problems with a hint from another webpage. Are you all Mac users who have problems? I reformatted my SanDisk card under windows 2000 and copied all garmin files from my other card and omitted spotlight and trashcan files.

Now I can turn on/off tracklog and power off with no beep until batteries are removed. :-)

Maybe the latest firmware is incompatible with Mac format FAT..

If the card is attached under Mac (GPS or card reader) spotlight and trashcanfiles are created and the beep at poweroff returns. The solution is to remove those files under windows again.

Edited by gunnar_g

I went to 3.00 (Vista Hcx) and have the shutdown problem. The catch is my card us a Sandisk 2 gb card but it is already preloaded with CN NT 2008 so it's not like I can reformat.

Can't you backup the microSD to your computer, reformat the datacard & then restore to data to the card?

I went to 3.00 (Vista Hcx) and have the shutdown problem. The catch is my card us a Sandisk 2 gb card but it is already preloaded with CN NT 2008 so it's not like I can reformat.

Do you have a mac? Find a Windows pc and remove the hidden spotlight and trashcan files from the card. I don't think you need to format the card.

Do you have a mac? Find a Windows pc and remove the hidden spotlight and trashcan files from the card. I don't think you need to format the card.

I'm on Mac and don't get any beepz with v3.00 with trash emptied or not... Use Kingston cards if that makes a diff.

. . . I reformatted my SanDisk card under windows 2000 and copied all garmin files from my other card and . . .

Just checking, is your card a Sandisk "Ultra"? There have been reported incompatabilities with that type of card.

No. Standard Sandisk 2g. Worked fine until 2.80 and 3.00. My other card worked fine until i put the gps in USB mode and got the incompatible files.

Since I applied the update my Vista continues with a low tone until I take the batteries out. Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

:D I have the same problem after updating to the 3.0 software. The tone is the (on/off power) alarm that should just beep when we turn on our units. I bet if you don't remove one of the batteries you can not restart your unit too. Wish I had never upgraded Now.. :D

I do have a email sent in to support and maybe I will figure out how to go back to the 2.8 version..

It seems obvious that if you don't remove a battery the unit will eat up the batteries and my tone is annoying.

:D 6/27/09 I did the update and now I have the stuck power tone problem also .

My Vist Hcx was working fine before I updated ,

Yes I did try to update again and still have the problem .

I had to quote myself one more time.. Solved both my problems with a hint from another webpage. Are you all Mac users who have problems? I reformatted my SanDisk card under windows 2000 and copied all garmin files from my other card and omitted spotlight and trashcan files.

Now I can turn on/off tracklog and power off with no beep until batteries are removed. :-)

If the card is attached under Mac (GPS or card reader) spotlight and trashcanfiles are created and the beep at poweroff returns. The solution is to remove those files under windows again.

Exactly

SOLVED!!!

Exactly

SOLVED!!!

:D Try a search for this [ Why does my device lock up, then power down with a long sustained beep?]

At Garmin - Support .

I think you guys are on to something .

Also you may want to google [ View Hidden Folders on Your MacUsing Terminal ]

I have not had time to do this yet but I bet it will work .

It may be a work around until Garmin can fix this .

Strange it only started after the 3.00 update .

Exactly

SOLVED!!!

I had to go through two SD cards before I came to the same conclusion...

The problem only begins when you use USB mass storage mode on a mac.

This problem also happens on the vista cx with software version 4.00.

Exactly

SOLVED!!!

I had to go through two SD cards before I came to the same conclusion...

The problem only begins when you use USB mass storage mode on a mac.

This problem also happens on the vista cx with software version 4.00.

My problem on the Vista HCx began when I used USB mass storage mode on a mac. But, I bought a brand new SD card, never formatted on a mac, and it exhibits the same problem.

But I just experimented with my "virgin" SD card and observed that the spotlight and trash directories are written to the card as soon as it is mounted as a volume on the mac. It doesn't have to be formatted on the mac, just mounted to read.

So what I did was delete the spotlight and trash directories from the card via the mac terminal window, then copied my maps back to the card in the "garmin" directory. Then I ejected the card, reinstalled it in the GPSr, and everything works again as it should. Version 3.0 is running and no hangup beep on turnoff. Just have to keep in mind that mounting the SD card back on the mac either via USB mass storage mode or directly in a card reader will write the bad directories to the card again, and the problem will reappear.

Edited by geo climber

Are these problems MAC related? I just ordered a Vista HCx so I don't know what version it will be but I am a little hesitant to update. I have a PC and have not found any poster that has had problems with updating there version on a PC. Anybody with a PC have these problems??

Are these problems MAC related? I just ordered a Vista HCx so I don't know what version it will be but I am a little hesitant to update. I have a PC and have not found any poster that has had problems with updating there version on a PC. Anybody with a PC have these problems??

So far, only problems when mounting the gps with sd-card in a mac. If you use Windows or not using card you Will be safe. But now it's not a problem as I know how to solve it waiting for Garmin to kill the bug.

You can also delete those hidden files easily from a mac terminal window. I can post the exact commands if anyone needs them. No need for a windows pc to do this.

You can also delete those hidden files easily from a mac terminal window. I can post the exact commands if anyone needs them. No need for a windows pc to do this.

I would appriciate if you posted the commands, thanks!