Vista HCx and Legend HCx version 3.00

eTrex Vista HCx software version 3.00

* Correct time scale of altimeter chart.

* Add support for maps greater than 2 GB.

* Modify track log function for steady barometer output at power on.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3709

eTrex Legend HCx software version 3.00

* Correct wrong indication of 'Vertical speed' and 'Glide ratio'.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3707

Updated my Legend HCx yesterday, found 3 caches this morning. Everything seems to work just like it did before the upgrade.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The "D":s are still there and only the software were upgraded. GPS SW is still on 2.80.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

My Vista won't work with a Sandisk 4 GB Micro-SDHC. It won't read off a new large map file or the custom POIs.

I have the same Micro SDHC chip in mine. When you turn your GPS on for the first time after installing the larger card, let it on for a little while. I believe it may take a bit of time for the GPS to read the maps for the first time.

Tried to update manually using the updater supplied with the download.

Although the updater "sees" the GPS, it continues to report that the unit is not responding.

I have properly operating USB's with installed drivers. I regularly update all of my

GPS units (4) via the web updater and Mapsource.

I suspect the update program supplied with the download is the culprit.

Anyone have this issue?

Does anyone know any reason to update the eTrex Legend HCx from version 2.80 to the new version 3.00?

The eTrex Legend HCx software version 3.00 states that the new software changes are:

* Correct wrong indication of 'Vertical speed' and 'Glide ratio'.

1. I didn’t think that the eTrex Legend could manage/handle a MicroSD card greater than 2Gb and

2. What has the Vertical Speed and Glide Ratio got to do with the Legend HCx??

Maybe I have missed something or there is something about the Legend HCx that I didn’t know – can someone please explain what would be the reason to update the software? I use version 2.80 on my Legend HCx, but what would I notice if I updated?

Thanks.

I havent updated my vista hcx at all either(or my summit hc for that matter), from what I've heard you cant go back once you do it and I've heard some of the updates along the line where actually a downgrade from the original version, I've noticed some variances between my vista hcx and my summit hc however and I've been wondering also if the upgrades are really worth it or if I'd be better off to just leave well enough alone

Since I applied the update my Vista continues with a low tone until I take the batteries out. Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

I am getting the same type of sound. I have reinstalled the update and updated the firmware with no success in getting rid of the noise.

There were two things i noticed today after completing a ride today, after i upgraded to Vista HCx software version 3.00, that the elevation ascent and descent doesn't work and the moving time, stopped time and overall time shows down to the sec. up to 119 min. 59 sec.. Liked what the Garmin folks did about the time elapsed but now will have to guess the elevation gain on my rides. (That isn't real important to me but worth noting.)

Since I applied the update my Vista continues with a low tone until I take the batteries out. Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

B) I have the same problem after updating to the 3.0 software. The tone is the (on/off power) alarm that should just beep when we turn on our units. I bet if you don't remove one of the batteries you can not restart your unit too. Wish I had never upgraded Now.. :)

I do have a email sent in to support and maybe I will figure out how to go back to the 2.8 version..

It seems obvious that if you don't remove a battery the unit will eat up the batteries and my tone is annoying.

The topic of this thread should be changed to

Vista HCx and Legend HCx version 3.00<--Big Problems!

You got it guggie.. I usually don't upgrade my units when the revisions first are

released, but as you see I messed up this time.. Maybe revision 3.02 will be out

soon to correct this problem.. :)

My Vista won't work with a Sandisk 4 GB Micro-SDHC. It won't read off a new large map file or the custom POIs.

- On my Vista HCx, i have Lexmark 4GB Micro-SDHC. And it works very well.

shiva.. I would highly recommend you not download the 3.0 software upgrade. If you have and it is working

please let us know.

shiva.. I would highly recommend you not download the 3.0 software upgrade. If you have and it is working

please let us know.

I downloaded v3.00 on the first day and in installed correctly on the first try and has been working without flaw. You might try again, maybe you had a corrupt download of transfer???

please let us know.

- euhhhh...as soon as i got my Vista HCx out of box, the first thing i did is upgrade it to ver 3.0. With 4 GB Lexmark Micro-SDHC installed. I do not have any problem to use the unit. And i have some maps on it: CN2009 NT, Topo US, some regions Quebec non-garmin topo, too. I use it for my bicycle rides, it works very fine.

Thanks coggins.. I have downloaded and reinstalled 2 times.. In fact the webupdater is where I installed originally.. I then tried the reinstalls. Still has same problem!!

I've never had good results with webupdater. Might try the manual install which is what I used.

yeah, I dont think I'll upgrade... it didnt sound like a good thing to do when the upgrades first started coming out and it still doesnt sound like a good thing to do now, I think I'll just keep mine the way it is, it works just fine anyway...

Thanks coggins.. I have downloaded and reinstalled 2 times.. In fact the webupdater is where I installed originally.. I then tried the reinstalls. Still has same problem!!

I've never had good results with webupdater. Might try the manual install which is what I used.

I did try the manual download and install at least twice with the same results, but I also read above where someone took the SD card out/changed and the problem quit. I have a 2 GB card and sure enough if I take it out everything works fine..of course all I have is the base maps.. Think I will get me another micro card and see what happens.. I like my topo maps installed when I am caching.

Awesome. Thanks, allory!!!!

Same thing happened to me.

However if I take out/change the Micro SD Card it works fine.

I'm also having problems downloading maps onto the device.

Bet it's a problem with the SD card.

M

Question: Did you change out the SD card and now everything is working?

I had the same results when I removed my card .. The unit worked properly

so I reinstalled all my maps on the card and put it back in the power off beeping

problem started again. Just wondering if you put in a new card and resolved the

problem?

I did try the manual download and install at least twice with the same results, but I also read above where someone took the SD card out/changed and the problem quit. I have a 2 GB card and sure enough if I take it out everything works fine..of course all I have is the base maps.. Think I will get me another micro card and see what happens.. I like my topo maps installed when I am caching.

I had a similar problem on windows vista home before. When moved to Windows XP, it installed as it should be. I guess the failure to install had to do with windows vista. If you used windows vista and it failed, you should give it a try on windows xp if all possible ...

I had a similar problem on windows vista home before. When moved to Windows XP, it installed as it should be. I guess the failure to install had to do with windows vista. If you used windows vista and it failed, you should give it a try on windows xp if all possible ...

Appreciate the idea greenleaves, but I installed from Win XP..all three time.. :)

Other than I might wear out the battery cover from removing the batteries to stop the

beeping noise all is well...

There is good news and bad news B)

The good news is I found software version 2.80 and reinstalled it. You have to rename the Garmin folder and create another folder and extract the software version 2.80 to the new folder. Then start the newly created updater.exe file and tell it to change to the older version. Installation went fine :)

Bad news was I lost all my waypoints, Geocaches found and unfound.. :D The unit reverts back to the factory default settings.. I think I have all my preferences fixed.. Had to even remark my Home coordinates..

Good news I keep all of them in GSAK databases and reloaded all but the few new hides I am working on.

Software Version 2.80

GPS SW Version 2.80

NO BEEPING when I shutdown.. my unit is healed .. I am :P

We have the majority of Garmin updates in our archives at http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/

My Vista stopped the beeping when I switched the memory card, but has begun again over the weekend. I haven't had time to re-install the maps, but will at least try that before reverting to 2.80. I don't even own a card larger than 2gb, so don't benefit much from the update anyway.

By the way, many of the updates warn that going back a version will wipe the user memory.

We have the majority of Garmin updates in our archives at http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/

My Vista stopped the beeping when I switched the memory card, but has begun again over the weekend. I haven't had time to re-install the maps, but will at least try that before reverting to 2.80. I don't even own a card larger than 2gb, so don't benefit much from the update anyway.

By the way, many of the updates warn that going back a version will wipe the user memory.

I would try to reinstall maps again too.. In fact I did but it had no positive effect. allory do you know the chipset in your Vista HCx? It seems strange to me that some people are having this issue and others aren't.

I read how to pull up my diagnostic page on my unit by pushing in the enter plunger and then the power on button. My chipset is Bravo 2 just wondering if yours is as well. It may not make any difference just wondering.

I tried the firmware 3.0 update in my Vista HCx and, while I was at it, I thought I would give chipset 2.80 another try. Mistake! I took a short hike with it this afternoon and the resulting track log was bizarre - sort of like the old "drift issue" but without the characteristic jag in the middle of the log.

So, I backed dated to firmware 2.80/chipset 2.50, which is the combination that has performed most consistently for me.

I tried the firmware 3.0 update in my Vista HCx and, while I was at it, I thought I would give chipset 2.80 another try. Mistake! I took a short hike with it this afternoon and the resulting track log was bizarre - sort of like the old "drift issue" but without the characteristic jag in the middle of the log.

So, I backed dated to firmware 2.80/chipset 2.50, which is the combination that has performed most consistently for me.

I am running 2.80 both software and chipset but I have not tested much... Just finally returned from the mess

software 3.00 made. I think you are wise to stay with what works. What chip do you have in your unit? I just wonder if some of the issues are due to different chips? My Vista HCx has a Bravo 2..

I am running 2.80 both software and chipset but I have not tested much... Just finally returned from the mess software 3.00 made. I think you are wise to stay with what works. What chip do you have in your unit? I just wonder if some of the issues are due to different chips? My Vista HCx has a Bravo 2..

The last time we had a thorough discussion of the chip question on this board, I think the conclusion was that all of the Vista HCx's have Bravo 2's. I forget the method for getting that information, but I'm pretty sure mine has a Bravo 2.

I am running 2.80 both software and chipset but I have not tested much... Just finally returned from the mess software 3.00 made. I think you are wise to stay with what works. What chip do you have in your unit? I just wonder if some of the issues are due to different chips? My Vista HCx has a Bravo 2..

The last time we had a thorough discussion of the chip question on this board, I think the conclusion was that all of the Vista HCx's have Bravo 2's. I forget the method for getting that information, but I'm pretty sure mine has a Bravo 2.

Method hold down the enter joystick.. straight LOL

Hit the power on button should display this

diagnostic.th.png

I bought a new card and it was okay at first but then the beeping returned.

Had to pull all the cards out yesterday to go caching.

With no cards in its fine.

And yes I'm Bravo 2 too.

Strangely I bought a street navigator map as a download off the Garmin website just before the update. Couldn't load it with 2.8, updated, couldn't load it with 3.0 either. Anyone know how come I have a vista that doesn't let me load street maps onto a card ? (I keep getting a 'can't unlock maps' error midway through the download process even though the maps have been unlocked my gramein from the website.

Should this be a new topic?

M.

I bought a new card and it was okay at first but then the beeping returned.

Had to pull all the cards out yesterday to go caching.

With no cards in its fine.

And yes I'm Bravo 2 too.

Strangely I bought a street navigator map as a download off the Garmin website just before the update. Couldn't load it with 2.8, updated, couldn't load it with 3.0 either. Anyone know how come I have a vista that doesn't let me load street maps onto a card ? (I keep getting a 'can't unlock maps' error midway through the download process even though the maps have been unlocked my gramein from the website.

Should this be a new topic?

M.

Got back an email from Garmin Technical support. He said he would recommed me reverting to Software version 2.80 from 3.00 and the power off problems. I have not responded yet, but I will tell him I already did that. :o

It strikes me as odd that this problem affects some Vista owners but not others.. Maybe it is the size or type of SD card.. Who knows??

As one of the early adopters, I did have the annoying (and battery killing) beep on shutdown. After reinstalling the firmware and trying a different microSD card it appeared that the problem had gone away, but all that had happened was that the beep had gone silent. The unit had not really shut down, but had merely shut down the screen and any visible function. After a few hours, however, the batteries were dead.

Things I tried which didn't appear to help:

Re-install firmware,

Reinstall maps,

Hard reset,

Different microSD card.

Finally I reverted to 2.80 and all is happy again. Since I don't have any cards larger than 2gb anyway I'm not missing much.

As one of the early adopters, I did have the annoying (and battery killing) beep on shutdown. After reinstalling the firmware and trying a different microSD card it appeared that the problem had gone away, but all that had happened was that the beep had gone silent. The unit had not really shut down, but had merely shut down the screen and any visible function. After a few hours, however, the batteries were dead.

Things I tried which didn't appear to help:

Re-install firmware,

Reinstall maps,

Hard reset,

Different microSD card.

Finally I reverted to 2.80 and all is happy again. Since I don't have any cards larger than 2gb anyway I'm not missing much.

allory, I emailed the tech support with the same exact symptoms we were both having and he said thanks and that a new upgrade will be out to address the problems. You know I think I like version 2.80 just fine.. :(

I have a Vista HCx and SanDisk 2G memorycard. With 3.00 and card inserted I can't turn on track log without hanging the GPS. With no card it's not a problem. So I downgraded.

I have had the tone on power off with both 2.80 and 3.00 and I have keytone off. It happens every 20th time I think.