Geocaching with Geosphere

Wondering if anyone has used the Geocaching with Geosphere app and if so what are your thoughts?

I love the GC.com app, but the Geosphere app reads PQs, which would be cool.

Does anyone know if the GC app will ever support PQs, and if so, what's the time frame on that?

We are currently finishing up the newest release, which should include Pocket Queries. Your wait won't be much longer.

I didn't read this thread until now and yesterday I purchased the Geosphere app from the app store. I love how it does pocket queries, and you can add additional waypoints when viewing a cache. It's a nice feature when you are doing a puzzle cache. It's something that the GC app doesn't do yet either...

hi, i use geosphere and i like it very very much!

very promising!

@JoshLytle: two things i like to be changed in upcoming versions:

1. the google map on the GPS-Tab is very nice but needs some more functions.

- i sometimes like to change to map-view with streetnames

- i want to move around so make it moveable

2. the possibility to load more than 5 log-entries can be useful

these are two things, that make me change to the official gs-app sometimes.. i want to have all functions in one (your) app if possible.

thx for ur work!

geogarf

I went out on a cache run today for the first time using Geosphere on my iTouch. Previously I used Cachemate on a Palm Tungsten.

There's almost no comparison... Geosphere made keeping up with things much easier. As suggested by another poster here, I did some prep work and did screen captures of places I wanted to go. It works great (although seeing the street names in the sat photos would be nice).

All in all, a clear winner.

I just downloaded the Geosphere software and maybe it's just me because I'm used to the GS software but I don't find it very user friendly at all. I've watched the tutorial several times now and experimented and played around with and it just isn't very smooth or intuitive. So far I'm not too impressed and sorry I spent the money. I am still pretty impressed with the GS software and once they tweak it alittle more I'll really be happy.

I'm surprised to hear that because I downloaded it a few days ago, played around with it a bit on Saturday, then went out with it yesterday for real and found it quite easy to use. I haven't really used any app for caching before though, so maybe it is because you're used to something else. I guess different things will always work better for different people though, and unfortunately, you never know until you pay for it and try it. lol I like Geosphere so much I wish I could get my $10 back for the GS one.

I went out on a cache run today for the first time using Geosphere on my iTouch. Previously I used Cachemate on a Palm Tungsten.

There's almost no comparison... Geosphere made keeping up with things much easier. As suggested by another poster here, I did some prep work and did screen captures of places I wanted to go. It works great (although seeing the street names in the sat photos would be nice).

All in all, a clear winner.

Have you tried going to the Data tab, and choosing the Show in Map Application option? Very cool. Opens the native maps app with the cache. Allows me to do a driving directions option to get me into the vicinty. Once I park, back to Geosphere and away we go.

Of the $100s I have spent in the app store, this is without a doubt the best $8 out there.

Will

Turk128

Independence, MO

Have you tried going to the Data tab, and choosing the Show in Map Application option? Very cool. Opens the native maps app with the cache. Allows me to do a driving directions option to get me into the vicinty. Once I park, back to Geosphere and away we go.

Yeah, but that doesn't do much good if you aren't connected to WiFi, which is why I do the capture routine.

Mike

jmd65

Why I LOVE Geocaching with Geosphere on an iPhone 3G

1. True paperless caching - With the iPhone 3G, you can download (use the GPX exchange if you are a Premium Member) all of your caches ahead of time, and not worry about your Internet connection.

2. True spontaneous geocaching – With an Internet connection, you can search for caches from wherever you are. That means, if your boss makes you do a delivery at the end of the day, as long as you have your iPhone with you, you can whip out a cache without pre-planning. And let’s face it, who doesn’t have their iPhone with them at all times?

3. Driving directions – What GSPr allows you to switch over to iPhone’s Maps app and plot driving directions to the cache? (Go to Data, Show in Map Application). Park, start Geosphere and enjoy!

4. Switch to a satellite view – What GSPr allows you to switch to a satellite view (while you’re hunting), zoom in and use it to compare where you are to where you think you should be?

5. Conserve battery life – With an iPhone? Sure. Just touch the satellite icon in the upper left-hand corner to turn off the GPS until you need it, then touch it again to get back to the hunt.

6. Target and Search tabs – Have one tab for your target, and then use the search tab to plan the next hunt. Cool!

7. Get hints/logs without looking for them – Have you ever been out caching, needed a hint, and realized that you forgot to decrypt it before you printed it? Not with Geosphere. Tap hints in the target tab, and there you go. Ever had the hint not be good enough? Read through the logs of previous cachers for clues.

8. Easily Use Waypoints – Either created by the stasher, or make your own.

9. And Remember – All of these fields are editable. So you can customize the interface as you see fit.

10. Search Tab – Yeah, I mentioned it before, but you can filter the downloaded caches by groups, cache types, sizes, difficulties, terrains, you get the picture. You can also sort by distance and display by size.

11. Download caches to groups – I have a work group, a home group, a Travel Bug group, a you-name-it group. This makes it really easy to organize and FIND caches when you want to.

12. Pocket Queries – Yep, you heard right, use your computer to create and email pocket queries right to your iPhone. Load up your groups with absolutely minimal effort.

In less than two weeks, we'll find out if they're coming out with an improved iPhone model. I hadn't planned on replacing my less than a year old model, but if the rumors are true (true digital compass, faster processor, larger memory, 3-5 megapixel camera), it may make this an even greater caching platform.

Will

Turk128

Independence, MO

I downloaded geosphere last night, and am stunned by how powerful and easy it is. I recommend it to anyone who caches with iPhone.

Why I LOVE Geocaching with Geosphere on an iPhone 3G

1. True paperless caching - With the iPhone 3G, you can download (use the GPX exchange if you are a Premium Member) all of your caches ahead of time, and not worry about your Internet connection.

2. True spontaneous geocaching – With an Internet connection, you can search for caches from wherever you are. That means, if your boss makes you do a delivery at the end of the day, as long as you have your iPhone with you, you can whip out a cache without pre-planning. And let’s face it, who doesn’t have their iPhone with them at all times?

3. Driving directions – What GSPr allows you to switch over to iPhone’s Maps app and plot driving directions to the cache? (Go to Data, Show in Map Application). Park, start Geosphere and enjoy!

4. Switch to a satellite view – What GSPr allows you to switch to a satellite view (while you’re hunting), zoom in and use it to compare where you are to where you think you should be?

5. Conserve battery life – With an iPhone? Sure. Just touch the satellite icon in the upper left-hand corner to turn off the GPS until you need it, then touch it again to get back to the hunt.

6. Target and Search tabs – Have one tab for your target, and then use the search tab to plan the next hunt. Cool!

7. Get hints/logs without looking for them – Have you ever been out caching, needed a hint, and realized that you forgot to decrypt it before you printed it? Not with Geosphere. Tap hints in the target tab, and there you go. Ever had the hint not be good enough? Read through the logs of previous cachers for clues.

8. Easily Use Waypoints – Either created by the stasher, or make your own.

9. And Remember – All of these fields are editable. So you can customize the interface as you see fit.

10. Search Tab – Yeah, I mentioned it before, but you can filter the downloaded caches by groups, cache types, sizes, difficulties, terrains, you get the picture. You can also sort by distance and display by size.

11. Download caches to groups – I have a work group, a home group, a Travel Bug group, a you-name-it group. This makes it really easy to organize and FIND caches when you want to.

12. Pocket Queries – Yep, you heard right, use your computer to create and email pocket queries right to your iPhone. Load up your groups with absolutely minimal effort.

In less than two weeks, we'll find out if they're coming out with an improved iPhone model. I hadn't planned on replacing my less than a year old model, but if the rumors are true (true digital compass, faster processor, larger memory, 3-5 megapixel camera), it may make this an even greater caching platform.

Will

Turk128

Independence, MO

I use GeoSphere, also. The only problem I've had with it involved downloading the GPX files from my iDisk. I'm now thinking that the fie names are case-sensitive. If I type the filenames in GeoSphere in all lower case and the file name on the iDisk is upper and lower, the app just hangs until I quit and restart.

I just upgraded a few months ago. I think I'd have to pay full list if I upgrade so soon. :P

Of the $100s I have spent in the app store, this is without a doubt the best $8 out there.

Couldn't agree more. I bought and used ALL Geocaching applications form the Appstore and Geosphere is the most powerful and easy-to-use of all BY FAR. Period.

It's amazing ho well thought-out it is in its GUI and even it's minor features.

Absolutely useful. Just returned from vacations in another country where I also did paperless (and without expensive data roaming) caching using Geosphere based on a previous PocketQuery. It simply worked. And rocked.

I just started using Geosphere. Had no problem highlighting a subset of my Pocket Query, setting a target, and creating a "Found" Field Note with enough info to jog my memory when I'm logging the caches back home. What I couldn't figure out how to do, and it was something useful that I could do with CacheMate, was to reorder the found cache records in the order in which they were found. I couldn't find any option for sorting in time sequence. Is there a way?

I just started using Geosphere. Had no problem highlighting a subset of my Pocket Query, setting a target, and creating a "Found" Field Note with enough info to jog my memory when I'm logging the caches back home. What I couldn't figure out how to do, and it was something useful that I could do with CacheMate, was to reorder the found cache records in the order in which they were found. I couldn't find any option for sorting in time sequence. Is there a way?

There doesn't seem to be a way under the 'Search' tab, but if you're viewing your field notes in the 'More' tab, they're always shown in order by date logged.