MIA Bugs Turning Up?

JennM

I've had a couple go missing for many months, and then turn up, and I've got one that went missing nearly 2 years ago, and one almost a year ago.

For some strange reason I keep holding out hope that my 2 MIA ones will turn up again... I've logged a few that have been "lost" in their travels and have turned up again.

So, if you've had one that went missing, "forever" and it came back to life, I'd like to hear about it!

Jenn

Back in Feb. I performed maintenance on one of my caches and found two TB's that the last logs were 1 1/2 years prior in 2 different caches, each about 20 miles from where I actually found them. I had visited both caches they were listed as being in a couple of months before and neither one was there. I corrected the locations via logs and since then both seem to be doing good.

We found a bug right after it was left in a cache, after being out of circulation for four years. The person who dropped it gave no hints as to where it had been, and the TB's owners hadn't logged on to GC for three years, so not many people celebrated the bug's reincarnation. We took it on vacation and left it in what I thought was a safe cache in San Francisco. It disappeared a few days later and hasn't been seen since :(, but I'm still watching it in case it returns.

Several of our own TBs have been inactive for long periods, too. A few weeks ago we had three TBs come back to life within a few days of each other. For Draco it was the second time he'd disappeared, once for 18 months and once for nine months. I haven't given up on any of our travelers, even the ones that have been missing for a couple of years.

I had a TB (Chester) disappear for 14 1/2 months, only to turn up over 2,000 miles away in a cache in Vermont--that was nine months ago and it seems to again have gone missing. That cache has been found several times, and other TBs have come and gone, but my TB is still logged as being in there.

I have another TB (The Griz) that's been missing for just over three years now. That would be something if it came back to life.

Check out the first few logs for TB3A00. This is currently in my possession. I have had it for awhile and I need to get it moving soon. It was released in 2002 and almost immediately went missing. It was left in the bottom of a backpack. Got moving again in 2006 and has been all over the world.

Sometimes people drop the hobby for a while for whatever reason....

Sometimes people lose the TB while they have dropped the hobby...

Sometimes people find the TB and it reignites the hobby for them...

Sometimes those people replace the TB the very next time they go out....like I am doing tonight.

Never give up hope!!

We found one (TB38DE) that had been missing in action for about 14 months with absolutely no indication of its whereabouts during that time. It had not moved more than a few miles during that time, but we found it within less than 24 hours after it was dropped.

Just beat that previous record. . .

We just found a traveler (TBNBEE) with the last log entry showing it retrieved from another cache several counties away back in January 2007. That would make it "missing" for just under 30 months. Guess we (and the traveler owner) should be glad that it finally got dropped into a cache.

Edited by Knight-Errant

We found one (TB38DE) that had been missing in action for about 14 months with absolutely no indication of its whereabouts during that time. It had not moved more than a few miles during that time, but we found it within less than 24 hours after it was dropped.

Just beat that previous record. . .

We just found a traveler (TBNBEE) with the last log entry showing it retrieved from another cache several counties away back in January 2007. That would make it "missing" for just under 30 months. Guess we (and the traveler owner) should be glad that it finally got dropped into a cache.

That's awesome! I bet the TB owner is very surprised & happy. Good job! :drama:

Well my longest MIA bug has been gone for just a few days short of 2 years.

I'm preparing the copy tag to re-release it. If the other one should turn up, I've put instructions on the bug's page to contact me.

Given the circumstances of my bug's disappearance, and the refusal of the cacher who took it to reply to email, I'm sure it's gone for good :P

So, might as well get another one going in its stead.

Jenn

How's this. We found a TB today, 7/12/09. The last log for this TB was on 9/4/04. You can do the math. We've emailed the owner saying that we have it. From looking at her profile, she lives less than 15 miles from us. Hopefully, we can reunite owner with TB!

Now that you've grabbed it, you may wish to log it in and out of the cache you found it in, so it at least gets its miles between that and the place it was last known to be.

Odd too because the cacher that last retrieved it appears not to have cached in a very long time too. They may have found it in their stuff and dropped it off into a cache without logging either the cache or the bug - the haven't logged a cache in a while, but their last visit to GC was Friday.

It was nice of them to at least get the bug back into circulation!

Jenn

Odd too because the cacher that last retrieved it appears not to have cached in a very long time too. They may have found it in their stuff and dropped it off into a cache without logging either the cache or the bug - the haven't logged a cache in a while, but their last visit to GC was Friday.

It was nice of them to at least get the bug back into circulation!

Jenn

That's what struck us as odd also. Thier last visit to GC was on Friday, and yet there was no record of anything, even for the cache. We're thinking it was just someone that just enjoys finding the caches and that's it. They didn't even sign the log. Compared to where this cache was at, there are much easier ones very close-by that they could have dropped it into. Go figure. Like we said, hopefully we can reunite owner with TB!

I've seen that happen here. Could be the individual was embarrassed/ashamed to have kept the thing for so long (hey stuff falls into the bottom of a bag, and life happens). So they "snuck" it back out there.

No biggie - it's back in circulation and that's what counts.

Happened here - cacher that had been out of it for a couple of years, suddenly surfaces and hides a new cache in their own front yard (it was a crappy cache too!)... and puts 3 bugs in it that had been MIA for over 2 years - that had disappeared from their own other caches (which are still active).

I picked up 2 of them - I'd looked for them in other local caches 2 years before! Others traded bugs in and out of the cache for a few weeks and when the last bug left with a cacher, they archived the cache.

I'm pretty certain they only placed the cache to get rid of their bugs without having to go caching. Again - at least it got them back out there so that's what matters most.

Jenn

They are two geocoins hope the OP doesn't mind....but I was happy to have them back in the game after a long while....

Here are two of my coins that went missing early in their adventures :lol: and eventually found themselves in the same cache recently :D .

motogrrl Memorial Geocoin SCB#1 missing since 6/26/07(6 days after placing) back in the game on 7/3/09 almost two years

Rockin Roddy's RACER#1 Last seen on 5/12/07 back in the game again on 5/3/09.

Both were found in this cache: MIDWAY but they weren't logged into the cache..... :ph34r: