garmin oregon 400t

jeffhopper72

You can also take advantage of the FREE 30 Day Premium Membership. GC.com gives that for people that buy a new Garmin.

Goto http://my.garmin.com and register your new Garmin Oregon 400t. You'll need to add the Garmin Communicator plugin for your web broser. Next go to www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx and follow the directions there to activate your free premium member trial.

Actually you can download caches directly to the unit without being a member. You can dowload caches from the search results page by checking the box to the right of each cache, then click on the download button near the bottom of the page. Then save the file to your hard drive and load it with something like EasyGPS (free and easy to use) or GSAK (a fee but much more powerful than EasyGPS)

You should be aware that non members only receive LOC files which do not contain cache info beyond the coords, GC# and owner name. If you want the cache page info on your Oregon you'll need to be a member.

You can download Geocaches directly from geocaching.com to your 400t, but you need to install this software:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3608

It's called Garmin Communicator Plug-in.

okay...well i became a premium member since the funds go towards a good cause...and i also downloaded the link above for the communicator...but i still can't figure out how to get the caches over to my 400t...any thoughts? thanks in advance for the help

You can download Geocaches directly from geocaching.com to your 400t, but you need to install this software:

okay...well i became a premium member since the funds go towards a good cause...and i also downloaded the link above for the communicator...but i still can't figure out how to get the caches over to my 400t...any thoughts? thanks in advance for the help

I'm new here too, but this is what I do, and I thought it was easy:

First, connect your 400t to your computer (did you install the software?)

Go to geocaching.com, and find your location and caches that you are interested in.

The should be a button, or hotlink that says "send to GPS"

A dialogue box will open, and it should find your GPS (if it doesn't, "right click" and re-load)

Click on the button that says "Write"

The cache should now be on your 400t

Good Luck

Go to geocaching.com, and find your location and caches that you are interested in.

A dialogue box will open, and it should find your GPS (if it doesn't, "right click" and re-load)

Good Luck

Even easier, run pocket queries and you can get up to 500 caches in a shot (2,500 a day) sent to your e=mail. Save to disk, plug in unit and drag the file to the unit.

Good Luck

Even easier, run pocket queries and you can get up to 500 caches in a shot (2,500 a day) sent to your e=mail. Save to disk, plug in unit and drag the file to the unit.

thank you all so much for your help...i got the first simple way to work where you click on the icon right next to the individual cache...i guess i am going to have to figure this pocket queries thing out now!