Your Best/Favorite Benchmarking pictures.

One of our favorites would have to be this one:

FH1007

It marks the state line between Oklahoma and Arkansas. I've never seen one like it, an octagonal iron rod in the ground.

I like that one. I found that on a drive between GA and CO a handful of years back. I wasn't able to get images, as the time I was there was the height of mosquito season, and I really was being eaten alive. Was awful. But I like that iron rod. (I actually DO have a fuzzy picture of it, and always meant to go back..)

One of our favorites would have to be this one:

FH1007

It marks the state line between Oklahoma and Arkansas. I've never seen one like it, an octagonal iron rod in the ground.

I like that one. I found that on a drive between GA and CO a handful of years back. I wasn't able to get images, as the time I was there was the height of mosquito season, and I really was being eaten alive. Was awful. But I like that iron rod. (I actually DO have a fuzzy picture of it, and always meant to go back..)

I keep meaning to go get pictures of that one. I only live a few miles from there and that's about the only benchmark in this area that I don't have pictures of. I've gone by twice, but it was the height of summer both times, it's in a really brushy area, and I'm deathly afraid of snakes.....

There are eight markers in the state of Arkansas with similar names and I've been told that this is the last one of these in the wild. EK0855 is destroyed. There's no sign of FH0985. Those two I can speak to myself. There's one of these in the museum at the National Historic Site in Fort Smith. Maybe I should check on the rest of them this summer.

I keep meaning to go get pictures of that one. I only live a few miles from there and that's about the only benchmark in this area that I don't have pictures of. I've gone by twice, but it was the height of summer both times, it's in a really brushy area, and I'm deathly afraid of snakes.....

There are eight markers in the state of Arkansas with similar names and I've been told that this is the last one of these in the wild. EK0855 is destroyed. There's no sign of FH0985. Those two I can speak to myself. There's one of these in the museum at the National Historic Site in Fort Smith. Maybe I should check on the rest of them this summer.

Let us know how you do. I'd be curious to see what else is out there. I got that on a cross-country drive, do I didn't get to spend a lot of time in that area. :)

Ashallond and I stopped in Grainfield, KS last week on our way out to Mingo and found KH0103, a chiseled cross in the historic Grainfield Opera House. The building was built in 1887 and the mark was first described in 1953. The pictures aren't particularly spectacular, but the building was quite impressive and the benchmark was very impressive in it's own way. To keep the thread manageable I'm only posting two photos here, but more are in my log for the mark.

10c4b1ca-cd3c-4638-a23d-97ff62a8e934.jpg

97bb050b-9d0b-4e39-93f6-9f326a87490e.jpg