Logging a find and including the number

I've seen many logs out there where the person will put something like "#3 of 27 for the day" or just "#763" in with their log description. Do you feel that putting the cache number (either the number of the find for the day, or the total find number for you) in the log is tacky? When I see that, it almost gives it a sense of "just another number", like the cache wasn't anything special. I did it for one log, and looking back on it, I really didn't like how it made me feel, so I went back and changed the entry.

What do you think? Am I making something out of nothing?

I've seen many logs out there where the person will put something like "#3 of 27 for the day" or just "#763" in with their log description. Do you feel that putting the cache number (either the number of the find for the day, or the total find number for you) in the log is tacky? When I see that, it almost gives it a sense of "just another number", like the cache wasn't anything special. I did it for one log, and looking back on it, I really didn't like how it made me feel, so I went back and changed the entry.

I think sometimes it means something. Like "This was #500 for me", milestone types of #'s are cool and I think cache owners might find it cool that their cache was someone's #1 or #1000. While I don't find none milestone #'s tacky or anything like that, it certainly would be cool,IMO, to see someone post that my cache was a milestone cache for them.

you are making something out of nothing. It is much better than only stating "TNLNSL".

I actually enjoy when people log the number on my caches. I also personally enjoy seeing old logs of individuals and the history for the sport that it creates: "can you imagine that was his 350th find and now he has 4000." sorta like seeing Hank Aaron's 100th Home Run.

I personally always try to "award" geocacher by finding a milestone cache and annotating it in their log. Drove 370 miles to day to find #500, fantastic experience best cache so far.....

As for the 3 of 27 logs, hey they had a nice busy day enjoying the sport! I look at it as how much time they put into caching that day. If the cache is out in the woods and they found 5 of 9 caches today on a 12 mile hike, all the better.

Keeping a historical record of which cache number it was (as a milestone sort of thing) seems to be a practical thing and doesn't bother me in the least. Sometimes I wish that I had done that from the beginning.

But the "number x of x" (for the day) seems like a brag to me, and turns me off somewhat. If that is ALL that is in the log, it really ****** me off!!

Edited by knowschad

I don't do it, but couldn't care less one way or the other... No biggie to me..

Some feel the same way about stats on a user's GC page too, but again, no biggie to me and does it really matter?? :lol:)

I don't really care either way... I'm just having fun and hopefully everyone else is too...

Mileage will very... Whats fun to me, may not be to you and Vice Versa...

But this thread does bring up another questions reguarding logging etiquette...

When you make a log entry, found, not found, etc.. You have the option of uploading pics...

Do you all normally attach any pics to the log with your entries???

I've been taking my digital cam with me and taking pics of my gpsr next to the find (not in its hidden spot) as well as the cache in its hidden spot and pics of anything else I might want to remember or that I think is pic worthy... I can always delete them later if it turns out to be a crappy pic or I'm not interested in it...

When I get home and get a second or two, I organize them on my external H.D. as such

K:/DigitalCamPics/Geocaching/Date-location or Date-Trip-etc or Date-Geocachename

On the log, I sometimes do a proof of find pic with my gpsr and the cache container away from the actual hiding spot... I do it a bit way so as to not give the exact location away... I figure that gie it away as if they have a gpsr their already in that location anyway and its not spoiling anything (even though above the logs there is a spoiler warning)...

Then I have also posted an image if I think somethings pretty cool that I saw in association with looking for the cache...

Kinda rambling there sorry... Love this hobby...

I don't like the "#3 of 27 for the day" logs, but those still contain more information than a "TFTC".

When I hunt more than one cache, I add on every log a link to previous log and one to next log. Those who want to track my route, can read all my logs for the day, including DNF's and notes.

I try to upload pictures for every cache I seek; not photos of the GPSr, but photos of the view, area, cache contents or anything interesting seen near the cache location.

That "#3 of 27 for the day" type of information is meaningless to everyone by the finder. Unless it's helpful to keep track of the order of a day's activity, it doesn't even seem that useful for a finder. For a long time it seemed to me to be a way to just show ("Look how many I've found today") and getting one of those logs on my own caches seemed to a big of a put down. (another way of saying "Just one of many I've found today").

There was a "radius slave" near here that use the "1 of 27 on a quick clean-up run around the area" type logs quite a lot. Those logs made it sound like he was doing a garbage run rather than a fun activity recreational activity.

People do all kinds of things for various reasons. Take Geocaching. Some people who are really competitive might go for the big numbers or First To Finds, while others might enjoy the experience of the outdoors, spending time with the person they are caching with and seeing new places and not be in a big hurry. Neither are wrong, just different approaches to the sport. Like the one post in response to your question about logging etiquette and I found myself getting caught up in the same habit. You see the high usage of using shortcuts for logging finds like, TFTCSL. At first I thought this was cool and signed my logs the same way, but then I thought I'd spend more time to show some appreciation to the Cache Owner for their efforts through my logs. Is either way wrong? No. You get out of things what you put into it. Enjoy the sport of Geocaching your way and allow others to enjoy it their way. :lol:

Just so you're not totally alone, yeah, I do think putting "#763" in the log is slightly tacky. However, I see the historical implications for the finder (or whoever else is interested) when looking at old cache logs. So no, this doesn't bother me in the least.

Now "#3 of 27 for the day", I think you'll find a lot more people who think that's tacky.

Gonna answer this one without reading the thread first. Then I'll see how I feel after I read the other entries.

Usually I see these entries as the posters own record keeping. There is a large number of cachers for whom the whole statistical number smashing exercise is an important part of the enjoyment they get out of geocaching. I will never understand it, but hey, I don't have to. For these folks keeping track of when they found what cache and in what order is important. Putting that information on the cache page means that it can not be lost. It is a permanent part of the geocaching record.

What better place to keep track of the sequence (since the system doesn't) than on the log? I can't imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape about it. Also, by maintaining a separate tracking number (as my script does), it lets me check against the site's total of my finds. If they differ, there's a mistake somewhere, and I can start looking for it.

If you want it just for your record keeping, an alternative is to have some cryptic numbers at the end of your log. Like {3, F, 10, 447} for 3rd attempt out of 10 for the day, found, 447th find or something like that. As long as that is not all in your log, I don't see a problem with it. Even if you did say 3rd find of 10 for the day in plain text.

Cheesy? Tacky? Hmmm... Not sure. It's not something I typically include in my logs, unless I'm at a milestone.

One thing I have noticed, (might just be a regional quirk), is that those people who commonly utilize logs worded to the effect of "Caching with BillyBobNosePicker today. This was # 64 of 215 today. Thanks for the hide!", don't typically utilize the cookie cutter, copy/paste log on those caches I've found to closely match my biased caching aesthetics. In other words, the caches that I love the most, never seem to get these types of logs, even from those folks who use them everywhere else. That, more than anything else, might tend to lead me to see these logs as kinda lame, indicating that there was nothing memorable about the hide.

For me caching is a solitary experience. The logs is sharing of an experinece that connects me to like minded people with a common interest. Sometimes it's fun to read over the logs after the fact, when you don't fully understand the details unless you've been there.

I would not log 40th cache found today or #765, however it doesn't bug me if you do. It does bug me when someone copies the same log into every cahe they find, borring and doesn't say anything about the cache or find. :lol:

I love it when someone posts a milestone in one of my caches. I send them an email thanking them for finding my cahce especially if it a first ever find! :sad:

I'm glad that Stayfloopy numers his caches. I love finding an old cache and seeing "Stayfloopy #212" in the log, and then comparing his comment on that one with something he said thousands of caches later. Of course, that's only possible because he ALWAYS writes a unique log on every cache, and usually includes pictures and often track logs. Tacky? No way! He sets an example we would all do well to follow...

I make note of each even 100 numbered find in my online logs. I don't plan milestones, rather just let them happen. In my opinion find number 3,000 is no more important than find number 47, other than acknowledging the fact that I have persevered. Many caches are memorable and that is what I enjoy. In fact, today I have been helping a new cacher work through a puzzle and the final for a cache I found almost four years ago. When he asked me about the cache I had to check online. Once I looked at the puzzle and my log I remembered the cache fairly well.

Numbering or not I believe there is a great benefit to writing a memorable online log. The owner appreciates it and you may well find it useful years later when you are working to help a newbie find their footing in this great game. I don't think less of a log that says #x of y for the day and #x overall. That is personal recordkeeping A log that relates the experience is what I enjoy.

I hope not. I used to do it because i like numbers. Not those kind, just stats and charts. I could care less about numbers (who can get the most).

I stopped when we made finds and never logged them. Also I have found caches and logged them with a note. I lost count so I don't do it anymore.

I liked looking back and seeing that this cache was DNF but we only had 10 finds. Something along those lines. You can see where in your cache career you were when you found it.

you are making something out of nothing. It is much better than only stating "TNLNSL".

I actually enjoy when people log the number on my caches. I also personally enjoy seeing old logs of individuals and the history for the sport that it creates: "can you imagine that was his 350th find and now he has 4000." sorta like seeing Hank Aaron's 100th Home Run.

I personally always try to "award" geocacher by finding a milestone cache and annotating it in their log. Drove 370 miles to day to find #500, fantastic experience best cache so far.....

I once started a log which read "4th DNF in a row for me"...

I often try to select a "special" cache for milestone numbers. I'm currently at 800 finds and #800 was a 4.5/4.5 cache placed by one of my favorite local caches. I also think it is somewhat of a compliment to a CO to recognize that you've chosen their cache for a personal milestone.

At the first baseball game I ever attended I saw Willy Mays hit a home run which at the time broke the record for the most home runs by a right handed hitter. Yes, I'm old.

When I hunt more than one cache, I add on every log a link to previous log and one to next log. Those who want to track my route, can read all my logs for the day, including DNF's and notes.

I took a look at a couple of your logs and must say... that is very cool! :lol: Too time-consuming for me to do, but I like it. I also like that you also link to your DNFs.

The next time you go out caching, do you go back to your last log from the previous trip and add a "Next" link to that, pointing to your first cache of the new day?

I don't like the "#3 of 27 for the day" logs, but those still contain more information than a "TFTC".

I try to upload pictures for every cache I seek; not photos of the GPSr, but photos of the view, area, cache contents or anything interesting seen near the cache location.

I also try to include pictures for each of the caches. There are some without, the latest because I forgot to put the battery in my camera. But generally I include them. I adore people like you who also include pictures.

I really don't have any problem with the numbers in logs. I kind of like them. But I'm the sort of person who counts ceiling tiles, slats in venetian blinds, steps from where I am to the tree ahead, and so forth. I love having my numbers display on my profile, not because I am competitive about them, but because I find it fascinating that GStat will give me an average character count for the logs I write.

I think that there are people who find numbers just wonderful for irrational reasons we cannot describe and others who are mystified that anyone would think that way. When I've seen the logs with numbers, I assumed it was because the person is an inveterate counter and not because he or she meant any offense to the cache itself. It would probably be fascinating to explore why people think assigning a number to something denigrates it while giving something a name elevates it. I think both stem from the same very-human desire to categorize our experiences.

Carolyn

P.S. The Steve portion of our little group is mystified by the idea of people counting things.

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

Tacky, probably. Offensive, nah. It used to bug me a little until I thought about it like this: The cacher who posts 'find xx out of yy for the day' is expressing pride in a successful cache run that took planning, time, patience, endurance, etc. It's not my kind of thing, but as a hiker/biker, I regularly post something to the effect of 'total of xx miles and yyyy feet of elevation gain in z hours.' Tacky, gratuitous chest-thumping.

Heck, sometimes I look at those numbers and the swath cut by the hardcore numbers-cachers and think, "that's too much like work!"

I bought a travel bug decal and stuck to my truck. Everytime I visit a cache I dip my TB and on the log for the TB I list the find number.

It allows me to leave a good log for the cache and track which cache was number 214, for example, on my own log.

I also get to see how many miles I travel from cache to cache. My wife loves to use that number against me!

Edited by JohnE5

I am one of those people that adds the count to the front of each cache. I love numbers but am not into numbers competition. I simply do it for reference purposes, a point in my caching career of when I did a cache. A date is effective but it doesn't paint the same picture as the count. There are numerous occasions when that number came in handy.. PAF network, challenges, etc.

But, regardless, if you DO think it is tacky, is it that big of a problem where'd you actually delete someone's log? That crosses the tacky line and moves into contempt.

#764? Nah, unless it is a milestone I rarely know which find # it was for me. heck, even most milestones pass without me noticing until after the fact when I am logging at home.

3 of 15 for the day? I've been known to do that, but since I abhor copy and paste logs I don't do it on every cache. Often it is those caches where there wasn't much else to say about the find itself. "This was our second find of what ended up being a twelve cache day -- thanks for getting us off to a good start." sort of thing.

I am much more likely to put my mileage and elevation into cache logs when hiking. "This cache was part of a 12km round trip which involved 750m of elevation gain." I don't do it to brag; I do it for future reference. If I see a cache that says you need to do 500m of vertical I can look at my previous finds and think "Oh yeah, I was exhausted when we did cache such-and-such but it was 30% higher." sort of thing.

But, regardless, if you DO think it is tacky, is it that big of a problem where'd you actually delete someone's log? That crosses the tacky line and moves into contempt.

Erm, where did this come from? The OP talks about deleting the numbers from his own log.

Post 17

1 of 1 for the day

:blink:

We do it for most of ours, both the overall number and the "X of X for the day". It has nothing to do with bragging about numbers or trying to be tacky. I am a total statistical junkie and I like to look back and do my own calculations. Also, as a cache hider, I like to hear stories of caching experiences. I love getting logs with "X of X for the the day" because it shows that someone took enough planning to come and find one of my hides and likes sharing their story. I would much rather have that than someone posting a "TFTC" or "TNLNSL". As for the total number on the log, GC does not have that functionality and I like to keep it for my own records. It's like creating little time capsules. I can go back and see what I did on a certain day, in what order, and how many I had on that specific date.

Talk about much ado about nothing.

I found it to be extremely tacky to recieve these two logs:

June 21, 2008 by xxxx (4114 found)

Power caching around Alberta with xxx and xxxx.

TFTC, TNLNSL.

Find #2455

Time of the find: 20:31

Find # 69 of 92 for the day

Time between finds 00:00:54

June 20, 2008 by xxxxxx (3823 found)

Up in Edmonton and Sherwook Park area power caching with xxxx.

TFTC, TNLNSL.

xxx & xxx

When this same cache recieved comments like:

"I enjoy the work (and in this case, the whimsy) that went into this hide"

"Great job. Very impressed"

"I am impressed. We may have lost grandpaloren, but we still have a master in our midst. Well done, I love it"

"I too wanted to see this cache after hearing its fame. I think this cache certainly lives up to it. Love the effort and creativity that went into this cache"

"Decided to go see what all the fuss was about, and was quite impressed"

"This was far and away my favorite cache of the day. I really appreciate it when time and effort goes into placing a cache and this one was great. Very well done"

My mistake on this cache was placing it too close to parking, it was still within reach of the `power :blink: `cachers

Im all for cachers adding number to milestone finds`.

I add my total find count to every log. (I use the GM script LilDevil mentioned, to make it a one click process.) When I'm looking at a cache I found in the past it's fun to note that it was one of my first dozen finds, or just wherever it fell in my timeline.

I should start adding my total DNF count to DNF logs...

I found it to be extremely tacky to recieve these two logs:

June 21, 2008 by xxxx (4114 found)

Power caching around Alberta with xxx and xxxx.

TFTC, TNLNSL.

Find #2455

June 20, 2008 by xxxxxx (3823 found)

Up in Edmonton and Sherwook Park area power caching with xxxx.

TFTC, TNLNSL.

xxx & xxx

Yeah, those are annoying to receive. Even though we do the total number and then "x of x for the day", we also include a story about the day, why were are caching this area, and usually a few more things. Then in another paragraph we always talk specifically about the cache. How much we liked it, if it needs maintenance, sometimes we add pictures (although we have been taking a ton lately and we are far behind). I think it can be tastefully done without coming across as bragging or tacky. Here is an example of what we do:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

As noted before, we like to have the number associated with the log since GC does not do it for us. Just something simple so we can track our progress through out the year.

But yes,

"579. Stop 6 of 14. Time: 13:45. TFTC."

bugs the tar out of us.

...What do you think?...

It's tacky but what are you going to do?

Even that tacky log tells you that your cache is there and viable.

Milestone caches number are really cool.

#xxx : neither here nor there, but I don't do it

#xx of yy for the day - this does start feeling like a numbers thing and has the potential of detracting from the specialness of the cache - especially if yy is a big number.

What am I going to do?: Absolutely nothing - its absolutely no big deal, and as far as I guage it is no big deal for the OP either. He/she was only testing the opinion of the community.

I'll put '# of # for today' sometimes. Not sure why I do it - I don't have all that many finds yet, don't really care how many I ever get honestly. I'm just having fun. I'm sure I'll make a big deal out of 100, 500, 1000, etc. as they represent a significant accomplishment. As far as getting x number in a day - for me I guess it's just keeping them chronologically arranged in my mind during the end of day logging process.

What I really don't like when reading logs is the copy/paste approach. All too often you'll be logging your finds and see the same person that hit the same caches you've hit recently and their log is the same on all 20 finds.

I always try and leave a personal note specific to that cache. If the cache hunt/find was uneventful I may say very little and have done a TNLNSL I'm sure but as a rule I try to avoid acronym only logs.

The way I see it - someone took the time to identify the hide spot, and I took the time to go find it. The least I can do is share more than an abbreviated 'thanks' with the CO and the community.

Edited by andynshe

I like this type:

Find #2455

Maybe even the time to find. This is just a written record. It doesn't mean anything about your cache. You might be able to derive how hard it was to find, maybe.

I view our logs as our families records of our stories and adventures. I can no longer say which find is what because we lost count though.

I don't care for the 5 out of 88 for the day. That is info that the CO and finder probably doesn't care about or won't care about in a year.