eTrex Legend HCx, set default brightness

I picked up my 1st handheld GPS today, a GARMIN eTrex Legend HCx Hike & Ride Bundle from Walmart in canada. they matched another online retailer, so i got the bundle for $225+tax. I thought that was a good find. came with GPS, preprogrammed microsd card with city navigator NA NT, vehicle power cable, mapsource trip manager, usb cable, lanyard, manuals.

Anyway, i just took out our 4y old and found our 1st 5 caches. It was fun.

How do i set the default Brightness to like 50% or so. Every time i change it, when i power down, then power up, it goes back to 0% and is very dark.

Under setup/display you'll need to change "backlight timeout" to "stays on."

This will kill your battery, I think it's better to get used to having it turn on without the backlight. Tap the power button once it's on to switch between levels, and hit the "enter" key (push down on the stick) to accept the level.

This is kind of a pain because you have to hit a button to get the backlight to come on, and all the keys do something. Usually the rocker is the best bet for switching on the backlight.

The power button switches between backlight off, backlight 100%, and whatever is set in the setup/display screen.

Eric

I also use the etrex legend hcx, the button you use for power on/off is also the display brightness, quick presses (Hold down for power on/off) press 1 goes to 50% brightness, press 2 goes to 100% brightness and press 3 goes to 0%

SWEET. that's not bad.

found 5 or my first 6 cahces today with it. i was out with our 4y old, so i didn't waste too much time looking for the 6th one.

thanks for the tip.

feel free to lock this thread, question has been answered and tip worked gread.

I also use the etrex legend hcx, the button you use for power on/off is also the display brightness, quick presses (Hold down for power on/off) press 1 goes to 50% brightness, press 2 goes to 100% brightness and press 3 goes to 0%

Moreover, if you press the power button once to bring up the brightness level, then press it again to bring it to 50% brightness, then move the brightness to where you want using the click stick and press the click stick to return to regular GPS mode.

The next time you press the power button to control the brightness, the preset brightness you chose above will be activated. It saves your brightness even through power down.

Jamie

Moreover, if you press the power button once to bring up the brightness level, then press it again to bring it to 50% brightness, then move the brightness to where you want using the click stick and press the click stick to return to regular GPS mode.

The next time you press the power button to control the brightness, the preset brightness you chose above will be activated. It saves your brightness even through power down.

Jamie

Yup. You're correct. That's the way I do it. Just to clarify for the OP...you still have to press the power button twice to get the backlight on, but it will then come on at your newly chosen level.

Jamie

Yup. You're correct. That's the way I do it. Just to clarify for the OP...you still have to press the power button twice to get the backlight on, but it will then come on at your newly chosen level.

that's even better. i've set my brightness to about 30% or so. so know when i power it up, it's on 0%, i press it 1 more time and it jumps to my 30%, then jumps to the max 100%. it seems like you can set the 1st click of the backlight, but not the 2nd, it jumps to 100%, which is fine.

thanks again.