entering coordinates into a GPS unit

AutumnRae

I would like to start caching soon, but I have yet buy a GPS. I don't readily have access to the internet over the summer, so I've been printing out the pages for all of the local geocaches, including the coordinates. I know the website has the option to upload the coordinates directly to your GPS, but I don't know if that will be something I will be able to do with my lack of internet access. I was looking at some gps units, and noticed that many of the lower priced units do not have many buttons. How exactly would I be able to enter a set of mapping coordinates into the gps manually? I just don't want to spend money on something and find out that I would have to upload all of them via the internet because I can't do it manually.

Thanks in advance,

Autumn

Well I just went ahead and bought a GPS on ebay. It's a Magellan eXplorist 210 NIB for $72 inc. shipping. What that a good deal? Is that a decent unit for caching?

Yes, that should work just fine for Geocaching. It's pretty basic but it will get you to the cache with no problem.

I would like to start caching soon, but I have yet buy a GPS. I don't readily have access to the internet over the summer, so I've been printing out the pages for all of the local geocaches, including the coordinates. I know the website has the option to upload the coordinates directly to your GPS, but I don't know if that will be something I will be able to do with my lack of internet access. I was looking at some gps units, and noticed that many of the lower priced units do not have many buttons. How exactly would I be able to enter a set of mapping coordinates into the gps manually? I just don't want to spend money on something and find out that I would have to upload all of them via the internet because I can't do it manually.

Thanks in advance,

Autumn

I have never seen a basic handheld GPSr unit that you couldn't input co-ordinates manually - that is one of the basic functions. I know bluetooth GPSr versions can't input manually but they need connecting to something like a PDA which can. Some phones have inbuilt GPSr, but the software is disabled to prevent inputting of co-ordinates.

Post the GPSr name here, and people will tell you if it's ok for caching.

Good luck!

Some GPSr's will store a few thousand caches. So I'd reccomend running Pocket Queries when you do have access and download them to your computer so you have them in the summer. If you will have no computer at all during the summer, load your GPSr full of caches while you do have access. Them keep a hand written notebook of your logs and dates and then when you do have access again, you can log your finds.