Tag along finds?

1mech

What do you think is the proper thing to do, if you are looking for a cache, and not being very successfull at it, then another unrelated cacher comes along and finds it, while you are still there. You see it, but really had not found it. Does this count as a find?

I would probablly list it as a find with a notation that I found it with xxxxx.

What would you do.

Not much else you can do. Even if you come back later, you already know were it is.

Lots of people cache is small groups, and they all claim the find. You are correct that usualy they will say "bob made the find", but they all log it as found. I cache with my dauter, and she logs it when I find it, and onl the rare occasion, I log it when she finds it.

What do you think is the proper thing to do, if you are looking for a cache, and not being very successfull at it, then another unrelated cacher comes along and finds it, while you are still there. You see it, but really had not found it. Does this count as a find?

What would you do.

It does not matter if you seen someone else locate it - you still "found it" right?

Whatever leaves you feeling right. I will claim a find, if I find it, even if it is in someone else's hand. :rolleyes:

A couple weeks ago, I was searching for a cache and another cacher came up. We got to talking and she said she had looked and didn't find it. (it was my second time looking for it.)

While we were looking, the cache owner came by to check on the cache. He gave us some hints and we did find the cache. I signed the log, and later logged it on line. The other cacher didn't feel comfortable with the help, and so did not sign the log, nor log it on line.

I feel we both were right, as we each played it as we felt.

Edited by uxorious

What would you do.

For God's sake, just log the dadgum cache and get over it.

What would you do.

Joined in 2003, 600+ finds, and you're just now asking a question like that?

OK, I'll play along. No. You would never want to claim that as a find. If another cacher comes along, you should either 1) leave before they make the find, or 2) put your fingers in your ears, close your eyes tightly, and twirl around 'til dizzy, and continue until the other cachers tap you on the shoulder and let you know that it's OK now... they have rehidden the cache. Anything less would be cheating and you would be risking your status as a... as a... um.... yeah. Your status.

Edited by knowschad

I cache with family members, and everyone finds the cache on their own. As each individual finds the cache, they stand off and make the call, "found it", stands back and watches. This has slowly evolved into a game of deception and mis-direction. Boy! Could I tell stories. After about fifteen minutes, if eveyone has not found the cache, the finders help the hunters with clues or play hot/cold. We have been doing this long enough to developed tells. I break out my camera, ghost lights up, hp4 acts bored and Mrs. Smith just smiles. This has added another dimension to the sport. I do list the find order in the log report.