Garmin 500

Lina & Koy

I currently own a Magellan triton 400 which I just started using for geocaching. I don't have any prior experience with a hand held off road gps device but so far it's performing ok. I got it as a gift a while ago and some how i can't get used to the small buttons and the lack of pre installed topo maps. any way I'm able to buy a Garmin 500 for $170. Im wondering if it's a good buy. any opinions are welcomed. thanks.

here is a really good review link.,.. http://gpsmagazine.com/2008/07/garmin_nuvi_500_review.php

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :anitongue:

Yep that unit will work, and that's a great price! The Nuvi 500 is weather resistant which puts it above most other Nuvi's that would probably die if they got sprinkled with rain. However you should still be careful if waundering the woods with it, it's not as rugged as a true trail rated GPSr. Also the battery life is quite short.

Grab the Nuvi if you like it, but keep the Triton handy for those Geocaches that require bushwhacking :)

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :rolleyes:

Thanks NordicMan. I already have a car gps. I just thought maybe I could knock two birds with one stone but your right. I prefer a trail rated gps for Geocaching.

Yep that unit will work, and that's a great price! The Nuvi 500 is weather resistant which puts it above most other Nuvi's that would probably die if they got sprinkled with rain. However you should still be careful if waundering the woods with it, it's not as rugged as a true trail rated GPSr. Also the battery life is quite short.

Grab the Nuvi if you like it, but keep the Triton handy for those Geocaches that require bushwhacking :anicute:

It is a really good GPS. I use one. I haven't had any problems yet with mine. I have over 2000 caches loaded in mine and I can see them on the screen as I am driving. If I get close to one and want to stop I can. I have the description, hints and past logs all at my fingertips. You can search for caches by all, found or unfound.

It is easy to load the caches into the gps if you use the usb cable.

No need to hand type each cache in and no need to carry papers around with the descriptions.

Im sure there are better GPS's out there, but I love my Nuvi500

I own a Nuvi 500, a GPS60 CSX and a GPS60. We recently did a 8200+km caching trip by motorbike using the 500 and CSX. The Nuvi is great, up to a point. That last 5 or so metres is where I find it falls down, even when in walking mode. Thats where I use to CSX, for that final close in search. I just find it more accurate. The only other issue is the CPU speed of the Nuvi. I found it locked up a few times on the trip.

Tripdaythreecard2084.jpg

Cheers

Bundy

The Nuvi 500 series is the only Nuvi that is suitable for geocaching. I understand that it is ruggedized, waterproof and even has field replaceable batteries and a compass navigation screen. All key features that most automotive units lack and make them poor choices for geocaching

Not the perfect geocaching unit (its shape still isn't designed for hand held use), but it will do the job.

Edited by briansnat

The Nuvi 500 series is the only Nuvi that is suitable for geocaching. I understand that it is ruggedized, waterproof and even has field replaceable batteries and a compass navigation screen. All key features that most automotive units lack and make them poor choices for geocaching

Not the perfect geocaching unit (its shape still isn't designed for hand held use), but it will do the job.

Feild replaceable batteries??

I'll have to look on my 550, but I don't think they are. Other than that, I agree it can be used for geocaching. I tried going off road with it, in the pedestrian mode, and it "sort of " works, but real awkward to hold onto. It is great to have all the maps loaded, though!

I also haven't seen the compass navigation screen. Maybe not on the Nuvi 550? Or maybe I should go back to the manual!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Feild replaceable batteries??

I'll have to look on my 550, but I don't think they are. Other than that, I agree it can be used for geocaching. I tried going off road with it, in the pedestrian mode, and it "sort of " works, but real awkward to hold onto. It is great to have all the maps loaded, though!

I also haven't seen the compass navigation screen. Maybe not on the Nuvi 550? Or maybe I should go back to the manual!

From Garmin

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.21"W x 3.35"H x .9"D (10.7 x 8.5 x 2.3 cm)

Display size, WxH: 2.8"W x 2.1"H (7.2 x 5.4 cm); 3.5" diag (8.9 cm)

Display resolution, WxH: 320 x 240 pixels

Display type: QVGA color antiglare TFT with white backlight

Weight: 7.6 ounces (215 g)

Battery: user-replaceable, rechargeable lithium-ion

Battery life: up to 8 hours

Waterproof: yes (IPX7)

High-sensitivity receiver: yes

RoHS version available: yes

The battery in the 500 is removeable, and could be replaced with another battery of the correct specifications at any time.

As for the mount, its a RAM handlebar mount, arm, and cradle used for both the Nuvi and the CSx. Power for the Nuvi comes from the ciggy lighter socket to the right of the CSx while power for the CSx comes from a hard wired plug.

If you go the RAM mount route for the Nuvi, make sure you DO NOT attempt to remove the Nuvi from the RAM cradle without pulling the power lead first. You will bend the plug, as I did first time I tried to do it.