Wandering Cache

This idea actually came up because of a misunderstanding of some newbie cachers.

They actually took the whole container, and planned to relocate the container itself. This was discovered when some other people tried to find the cache. This resulted in a search to find out what happened.

It was eventually found, and this idea was born.

When someone finds a Wandering Cache, they can take it, if they like, and put it in a new location, then the new location is posted.

This could create temporary caches that just 'show up' in different areas, and races to find them before they are gone, or races to find them and move them.

The site isn't set up for this type of cache yet, but maybe it would work.

Maybe the cache container itself is like a geobug. You get a sticker or number that you put on the container, and it is recorded like a geobug, and can be tracked as it moves.

This could create temporary caches that just 'show up' in different areas, and races to find them before they are gone, or races to find them and move them.

The site isn't set up for this type of cache yet, but maybe it would work.

It was tried, and didn't appear to work so well and was included in the Guidelines some time ago as a cache idea that should basically go away on both counts (e.g. temporary and moving).

From the Guidelines..

...caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published.

Nonetheless, there are still a handful of moving caches that have been grandfathered out there.

Not to mention that they are not entirely feasible for paperless cachers who only get 5 logs with a GPX upload. Since the cache owner is the only one that can change the coordinates on the listing page, which is what GSAK uses to send waypoints to GPS and PALM units, it would not have the correct information if the cache was moved older than 5 posts ago (i.e. owner maint, write note, found it w/o moving it, etc) or after you load the GPX file into your device. Plus, like the poster above noted, they are not allowed by current GC rules.

Perhaps you could satisfy your mobility desires by attaching a very small swag container (maybe even with its own log book...) to an ordinary trackable? Don't consider it a cache, just an advanced bug!

Of course being a newbie I have no idea what the general opinion towards this is or if such things already exist :D but I feel it would fit within the guidelines much better. ;)

I read about one in Cuba that was hidden on a horsecart that travelled about taking tourists for rides. You had to say some sort of password sentence to the cart driver - Tomas was his name if I recall correctly... I don't know if it still exists but I would definately look for this cache if I was in the area... I believe the name was Cuban can or something similar - I'm not even sure that Cuba allows GPSrs into the country, but I remember thinking that with googlemap and the cache page description we could still find this one (probably). As it turns out we vacationed in Costa Rica instead so I never had the opportunity to look... maybe it still exists...