The Police.

We've never been stopped by the police yet, but would have no problem explaining geocaching to them if we were.

We were however once stopped by private security guards and questioned. I made a formal complain about them, which I believe has resulted in a review of their procedures - because we were on public property not private property when they surrounded me in an attempt to make themselves look intimidating, and blocking off my passage past them. Because I had my littlest one with me, I didnt want any fuss, so answered their questions politely, and moved past them. They clearly were no wiser after I explained geocaching but didnt try to stop me passing them. I then studiously ignored them and carried on searching, while they hung about for another 20 minutes before getting bored and moving on.

My complaint centred around the fact these guys have absolutley no legal powers what so ever and have zero right or entitlement to question a member of the public in a public space. They effectively carried out what in law (here) is refered to as a stop and account. Only uniformed police offices can do this, or a PCSO in full uniform, or a plainclothes officer who shows you his ID. Noone else in law (here) can carry out a stop and account. There is also procedures set down as to the records they must keep and my access to such records. These security buffoons broke the law on several accounts and failed to keep any record. I also asked for a copy of the claimed cctv footage which Im entitled to, and was informed no cctv footage was recorded, despite cctv cameras everywhere. I further questioned why there was cctv cameras there if they werent recording, and why, if I was recorded in a public place, was the number for me to contact to view such cctv footage, not prominantly displayed, as is also required by law.

I have no problem what so ever with lawfully appointed police officers allaying their suspicions by questioning, but I despise these security buffoons who think they are a law onto themselves, most exspecially when they are questioning me, a member of the public, when they have no lawfull right to do so. I gather from reading logs in the area, numerous other geocachers have been harassed by these guys too. One even logged they won't be back to the area again because of these buffoons. I won't put up with it.

Edited by 4 and The Dog

I got beat by a police officer while caching...

The day after Thanksgiving, I got notification of a new cache posted. I raced to the site, hoping to get a FTF. I had to walk up a hill behind a shopping center. Just as I was about 10 yards from a lamp post that I suspected had the cache in it, a police officer came out of some trees nearby. We kind of eyed each other a bit, then I started thinking "Why was he in the trees?" I said "I was planning on going to that lamp post over there" pointing at it. He opened his hand and said "Happy Thanksgiving." In his hands was a rubber turkey with a bison tube up its butt. According to the log, he beat me to the FTF by 3 minutes!!! :P

In Gurnee, Illinois we had a cache turn up missing, a police officer got a call that suspicious people were looking around some bushes in the parking lot so he took it. He was one of the good guys he read the letter that was inside and posted a note on geocaching so someone could go pick it up. Which someone did, on that day four Travel Bugs were sprung from jail. :unsure:

I Geocach with a friend of mine (IcedPenguin) and have just bought a GPS of my own to start doing it on my own.

That begin said. I just got POST certified and hope to get a job as a police officer soon. I also almost always carry a handgun with me when I am out (geocaching or not). I can also understand how a cacher may look suspicious or even a cach itself (though they need to stop rolling in EOD for every un attended bag). If a cop gives you crap or attitude about your hobby just tell him to lighten up and understand that everyone enjoys doing different things.

I got beat by a police officer while caching...

The day after Thanksgiving, I got notification of a new cache posted. I raced to the site, hoping to get a FTF. I had to walk up a hill behind a shopping center. Just as I was about 10 yards from a lamp post that I suspected had the cache in it, a police officer came out of some trees nearby. We kind of eyed each other a bit, then I started thinking "Why was he in the trees?" I said "I was planning on going to that lamp post over there" pointing at it. He opened his hand and said "Happy Thanksgiving." In his hands was a rubber turkey with a bison tube up its butt. According to the log, he beat me to the FTF by 3 minutes!!! :D

Love it! :)

In Northwestern PA a friend of mine went to the County Welcome Center to place a cache for the PA AGT's. The welcome center approved of the cache 0placement art the welcome center, he then stopped by the police station to let the local LEO's know about the cache so as not to cause any concerns about the added traffic. The chief stated that ANYONE caught geocaching in Vernon Twp. will be jailed for trespassing, and risking a catastrophe. Geocaching in Vernon Twp. (PA) is illegal according to the chief of police. There are several caches in town, most of them in a local park, and available day time only. There is one cache available 24 hours in town, and we are planning an event at that location to see if we can set the worlds record for the most geocachers arrested in a single night at a single event. So, if you like a challenge, go cache in Vernon Twp. PA, see if the chief stands by his words, personally, I look forward to filing charges of false arrest and unlawful detention.

In Northwestern PA a friend of mine went to the County Welcome Center to place a cache for the PA AGT's. The welcome center approved of the cache 0placement art the welcome center, he then stopped by the police station to let the local LEO's know about the cache so as not to cause any concerns about the added traffic. The chief stated that ANYONE caught geocaching in Vernon Twp. will be jailed for trespassing, and risking a catastrophe. Geocaching in Vernon Twp. (PA) is illegal according to the chief of police. There are several caches in town, most of them in a local park, and available day time only. There is one cache available 24 hours in town, and we are planning an event at that location to see if we can set the worlds record for the most geocachers arrested in a single night at a single event. So, if you like a challenge, go cache in Vernon Twp. PA, see if the chief stands by his words, personally, I look forward to filing charges of false arrest and unlawful detention.

Huh?? If permission has been given then how can anyone be trespassing??? And how do you trespass in a public park??? I just wish we could attend your event.

We went up to Charleston SC to visit my son and his wife at the hospital and wait for the arrival of my first grandchild ( a girl ). She came out perfect and soon the new mom needed a break, so what do geocachers do whenever they a few minutes? We headed out to do a virtual and we got there just after the gates to the cemetary were locked, I looked at the map and thought I could see what I need from the rear of the cemetary drove around saw some cop cars and decided that this was not the best neighborhood so we turned around and ten minutes later there were four cars all with there lights on as I explained what I was doing. They smiled and let us go.

Huh?? If permission has been given then how can anyone be trespassing??? And how do you trespass in a public park??? I just wish we could attend your event.

I already got my Crawford County AGT's done. Don't know if I did the one in Vernon Twp or not.

I was caching at 1am on my way to walmart for some stuff (I'm a night shifter and stay up late the night before I work) and a cop drove by me. He was going down a dead end street so I knew he was come back by; he stopped at said "I have to ask what ARE you doing" with a smile. I was signing the log and asked if he had ever heard of geocaching. So explained the game to him for a couple minutes and then he wished me a good night and drove off. Was pretty funny.

I was looking for Everett Park and Grab and I looked in a hole in the trunk of the tree but it was empty. I started to climb the tree when I notice a Police car pulling in to the park. I jumped down and the Police man rolled down the window of his believe it or not volkswagon beetle Police car and said "I hope you have better luck finding it then I did." Turns out he was a fellow Geocacher and he even help us look but we believe it was muggled.

You should file a crime report :)

Informing the police one cop at a time. : )

My husband and I are as :D stealth :D as a man in full drag in a southern baptist church.

A cop showed up tonight on our only night time cache. The lights went on and he inquired what it was we were doing standing on a wall with flashlights. I started to explain and not realizing that my accent ((because I'm southern and in PA)) was only confusing the man.

I never realized how much I giggle like a dork when I am nervous.. until tonight. I'm surprised he didn't give me a sobriety test. In my nervousness I wasn't paying attention to my feet and while trying to jump off the wall I face planted into the ground. All I could think about was not having a bra on. I thought great..I'm going to the hospital or jail without a bra and no makeup. Kinda didn't matter since my mouth was full of dirt and my face was scratched up. I don't think anyone would have noticed me not wearing makeup or a bra.

At some point he had gotten out of his car and was helping me to my feet.

He said "Where are you from?"

Not realizing he was picking up on the accent and the fact that he was most likely thinking I was a dumbass. I'm sure he was making mental notes not to ever visit whatever dumbass town I must be from.

I said, "We live about five minutes away."

He said, " It's a little ridiculous to be doing that this late isn't it?."

I thought to myself what? It's like 10:00p.m. I realized after he pulled away that he thought we were young. We do look young. Maybe it was the scratches. Scratches do wonders ladies..they power blast any wrinkles or lines right away!...... That or he thought I was slow and knew the home would be expecting me back.

I assured him that we weren't vandalizing the place and he said he believed me but he added.. "if you do, I will know." ((dun dun dunnnnn)) :)

It wasn't so bad but lessons learned:

1. Always wear a bra even if the cache is five minutes away!

2. Don't stand on walls at night

3. Don't get nervous and giggle like a maniac when talking to a cop.

4. Just wear a helmet as part of the geocaching experience or stay home.

5. Let my husband do all the talking.

and no...we didn't find the cache. We went home and applied ice and nursed the wounds. My ankle is swollen as is my face but I will survive...But one day..when I'm a REAL cacher I will break limbs and continue on..I'm just not there yet. :D

OH MY GOSH!! Do NOT read this post with a mouth full of hot coffee!

This is SO! me!!

We were out at 9:30 PM during a snowstorm trying to get an FTF. The cache was hidden on the sign at the entrance to a "ghost neighborhood" (developer goes bankrupt and roads are abandoned). After finding the cache we brought it in the car to sign the log. We had missed the FTF by 15 minutes. As we were signing, a police car turns onto the entrance road, makes a u-turn and pulls up behind us. He walks to the car and asks what we are doing. After telling him that we are looking for a geocache he exlaims "Another one!?" He had stopped the guy that found it before us. "Do you need to see my license?" The cop is walking back to his car, shaking his head. He thought we were really crazy. "No, that's OK" he shouts back, and drives off.

In Gurnee, Illinois we had a cache turn up missing, a police officer got a call that suspicious people were looking around some bushes in the parking lot so he took it. He was one of the good guys he read the letter that was inside and posted a note on geocaching so someone could go pick it up. Which someone did, on that day four Travel Bugs were sprung from jail. :P

This is referring to GC1QYW4. I looked for this cache after the event earlier that day. The police had already taken it by then.

Edited by lemon16

I have a cache called Soviet Spy Stuff http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7d-636622b25d9e. This is a Found It post I got in June:

First of this kind we've seen. Awesome! Came in handy because we saw another kind like it at UCF later and would never have found it without this one! People were sitting outside at a nearby residence, we don't know if they called or not, but Oviedo Police was on the scene in no time. The officer pulled in front of us and blocked us in as we were exiting the cul-de-sac, and the first question was fired intensely, "Where did you stash the weed?!?" We explained what we were doing, we loaded up the waypoint, handed him our GPSr and asked him to follow it to where we were "stashing." He seemed satisfied, explained why he was suspicious and released us. I guess we need to practice our stealthy spy skills!

I responded with a note the next day:

Weed? I would have said that I was there for a drop spot for a Soviet spy. I'm sure this would have resulted in a lot more fun.

Fine... since everyone else has a good one, here's mine: I cache in San Antonio, so I went looking for a TB Hotel near Seaworld. I parked in a McDonald's, had lunch, grabbed my GPS, and headed into the woods. We actually, I walked around the woods to the cache. I get the cache, head back to my car. I place my GPS and notepad on my hood and start making notes. Drop this bug, took that one, etc... Next thing I know I have two cop cars behind me, two officers, one asking me if I need anything. Not thinking to turn around, I say no, only to hear the loud speaker tell me to place my hands on the top of my head. I look back, thinking something was going on, on to realize I now have four cars, 7 cops, and a police helicopter flying overhead. I get patted down, asked questions, only to give name, rank, serial number, and date of birth. (military training paid of here) They call their Lt to the scene of the perp, telling him everything in route, as they run a ID's and look for crap in my past. This is where is gets funny.... The Lt gets out of his car, walks over to my truck, looks down at my Oregon 300 and asks "Is the accuracy on the better than the 60cs?" I could only start laughing, which to him meant yes. He turns to all the other officers and states "He is geocaching you s***heads, what the hell is your problem?" He looks at me only to say, "Sorry Tank, rookies and idiots never cease to amaze. Oh, did you find that TB hotel, I cant find it!" Well once all the probes and morons left, he tells me a lady passing by called in a man with a gun, walking out of the woods, with blood on him. I look at my arm, sure enough, I have a 1" cut on my elbow, that was bleeding. As for the gun, I guess an Iphone and GPS sure do make a distinctive feature. Only thing I can think it would shoot is digital information. Oh, on an other note, they did lock down McDonald's while this was happening. Employees are still jittery when I go there to eat.

I was looking for Everett Park and Grab and I looked in a hole in the trunk of the tree but it was empty. I started to climb the tree when I notice a Police car pulling in to the park. I jumped down and the Police man rolled down the window of his believe it or not volkswagon beetle Police car and said "I hope you have better luck finding it then I did." Turns out he was a fellow Geocacher and he even help us look but we believe it was muggled.

Just last night I was hunting for a few caches. I was in a few spots that if a patrol car would have come by I'm sure they would be taking a good look at me. I'm sure the day will come when the cops will talk to me.

Yesterday, I had a reverse-encounter with the police. I went to them, rather than the other way around.

In this case, I found a rather significant illegal campsite in a Chicago-area forest preserve while bushwacking to a cache. The camp site looked suspicious, so I high-tailed it to civilization, and called the authorities. The police took great interest and after seeing my iphone screenshots and my GPS waypoints, the police asked if I could lead them to the site the next day.

So earlier today I found myself serving as the guide for three armed officers tramping through the woods. Once we got near the site they asked me to stay back while they checked it out with hands on their holsters. The site was empty, so they let me come. GZ was a few feet from the camp, so naturally I first went to find the cache and sign the log. The cops collected some evidence, then began to dismantled the camp and clear out the area (tents, tarps, chairs, tools, dozens and dozens of beer cans, peanut butter and even a can of beans). I pitched in and helped in what will likely be the largest CITO haul I'll ever be part of.

The police were very appreciative, knew a little about Geocaching ("we get called out when there are people running around in the parks at night with flashlights") and had a mostly positive impression of the hobby. For me, it was kind of fun riding to and from the staging area in the perp-seat of a squad car (the back seat behind the barrier).

Turns out the people (likely homeless) that had set up the camp were likely related to recent burglaries in the area.

Link to listing and log: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...cc-88fee0bf15f9

We have had our own run in with officers of the law while we're out caching. Luckily, the other half of our RedDarling duo's dad is a copper. Shortly after we got into caching, MrRedDarling told his dad about how fun it is and how it lets us exercise and build stuff together. As we got more and more into it, we found out that two cops in the area cached. (With names with the words "Speedtrap" and "Law" in them, it's a give-away.) Anyway, we haven't had much trouble from any city cops, because we're stealthier than ninjas.

However, county Sheriff's another deal:

We had gone caching in the early afternoon at a local nature preserve, Pioneer Ridge, and after we had found the cache and got back to the truck I took off my sweater because all the hiking made me warm. After a few minutes, we get back into the truck and drive off, happy as could be. Well, I had forgotten completely about my sweater until he was about to take me home around 11:30 pm. I figure it must be out at Pioneer Ridge, so we start across town to get there. MrRedDarling even remarked, "I just know there's going to be a cop or something and then my dad will know and all because you can't remember to put your clothes on." I just kind of giggled thinking he was going to be wrong. But then it turned out, I was. We pulled up to the turn off and there were 2 cars, parked in opposing directions and 3 guys hanging around. We roll down the window, the Sheriff wants our IDs, since I don't have mine I have to tell him my name and birthday. We tell him we're just going to look for my sweater I lost while geocaching, and that it'll only take us a few seconds. While he's checking our info, a guy with him (not a sheriff) approaches my window and starts asking about Geocaching. Playing it cool, I explained everything to the guy. Luckily we still had our GPS [Even better, we've got the eXplorist Geocaching Edition] in the glove box. The guy was truly interested and seemed really cool. The sheriff came back and started to get mouthy with us. Since we're two 18 year olds going out to a secluded place in nature, he automatically thinks we're trying to look for a place to get frisky. We assured him that we're be back in just a few minutes. He then remarked, "Good, otherwise I'll come after you." Luckily we found my sweater, just where it had fallen off the hood, and turned around and showed the guy my sweater as we drove out of there. I can understand his concern, but he just needs to have a little faith that not all teenagers are crazy sex-fiends, some of us are just geocaching-fiends.

That being said, our trouble deferring bumper-sticker should say, "Not Getting it On, Just Geocaching."

We were looking for a geocache outside of South Bend, WA when a police officer pulled over and watched us. I thought we were going to get busted but after I found the cache he pulled into the wildlife parking lot where the cache was hidden and informed us he wanted to make sure we found it. Seems it had taken him 2 trips to find it. Only in South Bend, WA do the police insure that you find the cache.

Well I've only been caching for a couple weeks. but just like all of you its a new found addiction. My mom was at work so I droped her off and went for a few caches while she was at work. after finding a few I realized I was gonna be late...so I left my last cache site and started home.....half way there decided to call her to tell her I was on my way but late.....as soon the my cell/gps (palm pre) hit my ear I passed a cop....then I say hello look in my rearveiw and see the cop turning around so I quickly said bye and she started following me....She then pulled me over and gave me a talking on portable communications device while driving ticket....155$....but I didnt have to tell her what i was doing so thats good....I regret not talking a picture of my side miror with the cop behind me light flashing....it looked cool.

I wouldn't call it a funny story. A few of the hunters mentioned police cars passing by, a few times. A nice park in a nice town. Armed forces memorial park. Cache is obvioulsy hidden on a mortar. We didn't see any police cars pass by. It ws the cops in the unmarked car who questioned us for 'acting strangely'.

icon_sad.gif (Date) by Harry Dolphin (2884 found)

Police must be staking out this park. We were questioned by two plain clothes policemen who called a back up unit. Even with the two policmen helping, we couldn't find the cache.

I don't know what goes on in this park, but I wouldn't go here unless you want to be questioned by the police.

We will not return.

I've been caching for about 6 years and have found a fair number of caches. Until until last week, I had never been stopped or questioned by law enforcement, even on those midnight FTF runs in my slippers and robe.

A couple months ago I deployed to Afghanistan and am currently on Kandahar Air Field where there are about 13 active caches. Last week, I was wandering around the FOB, looking for a cache when the Security Police rolled up. They got out and walked over to us and asked if we were looking for something. Well, on a military base in a combat zone, you don't play games with the security guys so we told them the story of geocaching and even showed them the cache and what was inside in order to allay their suspicions. They were nice about it, thanked us for the info and let us carry on.

On a side note, I was surprised by their comment that our ACU pattern uniforms actually provided us some camoflage. They said they didn't see us until they were 50 feet away even though they were looking for us. The nearby Dutch watchtower had alerted them that some people were near the fence.

If there was somebody looking around your neighborhood wouldn't you want to Police to investigate? Maybe it is a cacher, maybe not. If approached, be polite. It still amazes me how many people have talked themselves into handcuffs. I have heard all kinds of excuses/reasons for all kinds of things. The bad apples are mostly the ones who make these posts. Its like a newspaper, good news doesn't sell. I have found in my years as a p/o that the job is like a computer; you put crap into it, you get crap back. 99% of us would listen to an explanation of the sport. I enjoy geocaching so I understand both sides. Anyway, help us in return. If you see someone/something thats just not right let us know. Happy caching.

I was caching in a run down part of town. The cache was magnetic and attached to a metal gate in an alley. Just as I have my arm through the gate, a couple of beat officers walk around the corner. Thinking I am trying to break into whatever was on the other side of the fence, they question and search me. I spent the next twenty minutes explaining the game, showing the cache on the gate, and trying to explian the strange mix of random knick knacks in my bag. Luckly, I had print offs from the site for a bunch of cache sites. This seemed to convince them that I was legit.

Edited by beauLarry

Reading these stories it seems like the Canuck cops are a pretty easy going. When I got questioned it was pure coincidence.

I was grabbing my eighth cache, and had a friend from work with me. It was on a college campus, and I'm a youngish guy (25) wearing a trench coat.

There was a cop car nearby that we ignored, but they approached. Apparently I was suspicious or something.

Of course, worst timing. My friend didn't notice the car, and found the cache (a film canister). He stands up and proudly yells "I found it!" I thanked him, and while explaining caching to the officer, opened it right in front of him.

Officers words: "as long as there's no coke in there, we have no problem." I almost asked if pot would have been ok, but kept my mouth shut.

I later found out my friend had just finished parole. Oh well.

i was at justice league here in plano tx.so i go to the lamp post cover and get it right away, only in the middle of me doing this a cop comes out and treats me like im a criminal...i told him what i was doing and showed him the form.he didnt even want to listen.so i went on my way. to find out he got it closed down.so i say boooo to this "man"...... im off to the next cache! have a great day

One of the MOST successful event caches was when we invited the local bomb squad.

We brought typical cache containers, and they brought typical bomb containers (disabled of course).

The interesting / scary part was how VERY similar they ALL looked.

Shhh...don't say that. You will upset those who think the bomb squad should recognize a GC right away. I mean if it has a GC logo on the outside it couldn't possibly be a bomb.

I was bitten by a dog whilst geocaching on Sunday, the police got involved and I had to give a statement. The inevitable question of "geocaching???" came up. I gave a brief description before the PC* took me by surprise by saying;

"Oh, you mean letterboxing?"

It turns out he grew up 100 miles or so away near Dartmoor... home of letterboxing. I have a strong suspicion he might be a new convert.

*Police constable, the UK version of a Police Officer.

I had an experience this evening where I actually called the police myself to a cache location. I was hunting a cache on the edge of a university campus, and it seemed like a pretty easy one because as I got near GZ, I saw a large blue object barely concealed behind some bushes. Oh boy, I thought, this one will be easy, I can see it from 50 feet away. Not a very good hide, though, pretty obvious. But when I reached it I found it was a large blue duffel bag. Could this be the cache? I unzipped the bag and found it full of clothing and other personal items, like someone had stashed it here fairly recently. There was no one around at all, it kinda creeped me out.

Anyway, I got my bearings again and quickly found the actual cache about 30 feet away. Then I went to the university police office and reported what I had found. They sent an officer out to meet me and I showed him to the location (had to explain Geocaching a little to him, he had heard of it but didn't know there was a cache on campus). He picked up the bag for further investigation. Anyway, a weird experience....

14.11.2010 07:00

Im on my way to a Cache when Im flagged down by a police officer. "Drugs and Alcohol check", he said. "Yes please", I said, to which he fell about laughing. It was the first time I had been stopped for something like this and I was hoping that they would get out the full kit. anyway after he had finished laughing I explained that I niether drink or smoke, with that I was allowed to continue on my journey without having the tests. I was rather disapointed.

:anitongue: Did you ask to see the statute? That sounds like pure manure to me! There is a law against geocaching, but if caught you will not be charged with geocaching, but with trespassing? ;) I think someone in Vernon Twp is making up laws to suit the occasion.

So far the only time we've ever been stopped by the police while geocaching was in Italy, and a few days after first reading this forum. We were just on our way back from Venice and there was a cache at a motorway service station so we stopped and my dad and I got out to search for it. It was hidden round the back where the trucks parked, near the bushes against a fence. We found the cache quickly but just as we were coming out the bushes a police car was driving past and stopped. We don't really speak or understand Italian, but guessed they were wondering what we were doing and why we were coming out the bushes - so we went up to the car to try and explain what we were doing. We tried to say it was a game and eventually I pulled out my GPS to show them. They sort of stared at us for a few seconds then said 'OK' and drove off. Once we got back to the car and were about to leave, we saw they had circled back around and drove past us again but left us alone.

Another time, we were actually mistaken for the police. In Geneva, we were searching for a cache in a park in an area which wasn't that clean - quite a bit of rubbish around and some old torn clothing in the bushes. I had my camera around my neck and had my notebook checking the clue for the cache. We could see a gardener/street cleaner close by, and while he had his back to us, quickly grabbed the cache and signed it. We just managed to hide it back in the bush before he came up to us, and in French asked if we were the police. Luckily we knew and could speak a bit of french so said no and he eventually left - but I think he thought it must have been some crime scene and we were there taking photos and notes or collecting evidence. Was quite funny and probably the most unusual question we've been asked while geocaching.

Edited by CW88

pretty mundane encounter, really, but my first encounter with law enforcement. it all went amicably in the end.

There's a local cache that's on a very short (1/4-1/2mi) trail in town. The trail is maintained by a local boy scout troop and it crosses a privately-owned nature preserve. The only signage for the nature preserve was vandalized some time ago, and pieces of the sign can be found amongst some tall grasses. the trail is not near the signs, but there's a small 4x4 sign post marking the beginning. with a brass plaque on it identifying the trail name, the name of the scout troop, and even the name of the Eagle Scout candidate who installed it.

there's a single geocache along this trail I was seeking that day with my two dogs.

this nature preserve is at the end of a dead end street in a residential part of town. there used to be a humane society facility on the site, so there is a small parking lot with half a dozen spaces there.

As I pulled in, I noticed a police officer hanging out there. when I got out of my car, he asked what I was up to. I told him I wanted to walk my dogs on the trail (pointing to the trailhead). he informed me that I couldn't do that because it was private property.

I said, "huh...there's a trailhead sign right over here" walking over to show the officer that it was a public trail. the officer had apparently not seen the marker before (to be fair to him, it was just installed this July) and he checked out the plaque himself. upon seeing it, he said, "well that's news to me" and I told him that as far as I knew, the property was owned by the Texas Land Conservancy (so he was correct that it was private property) but that their website listed the property as "open to the public" (and coincidentally, I have permission to place an earthcache and possibly my own regular cache on the property - which I am currently working on).

I never mentioned caching, because the primary issue was whether or not I was even permitted to be there. that might have been a more difficult sell to the officer, though. and I'm sure he's aware of caching, since the city is quite permissive of caches in its parks.

My only encounter so far was in New Mexico looking for GC1JG92 so I had pulled just off the road. I was there on business and drove in my own car. So there I was, pulled off the side of the road in New Mexico with Mississippi plates wandering around the side of the road staring at my iPhone in the middle of July... The officer didn't ask what I was doing, he asked if I needed a tow truck and if I was OK :(

When I said everything was fine he asked why I stopped there so I explained what I was looking for and asked if he'd heard of geocaching. All he said was, "Yeah" then drove away. I'm guessing the answer was both "yes" and "you're weird"

:) Did you ask to see the statute? That sounds like pure manure to me! There is a law against geocaching, but if caught you will not be charged with geocaching, but with trespassing? :blink: I think someone in Vernon Twp is making up laws to suit the occasion.

Oh, most definitely the chief is. We are in the process of organizing an event in the area at one of the local eateries to ensue caching stays alive and well in Vernon Twp. Even my local police tell cachers it is illegal to cache in my Twp. after midnight...the nerve!!lol

Luckily for the rest of my team when I tag along I know more then half the police. However I was recently alone attempting to get a FTF which due to that wicked GPS bounce I was stuck standing in the middle of a creek with no signs of finding the Cache.

At that point I called for back up who said she would be there in 15 mins that she would call when she got to the entrance to the park, we hung up and no sooner did I put my phone back in my pocket and attempt to make my way out of the creek did it go off again. Mind you this is a police officer calling my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Liz? its Sgt Bain******"

"Oh, hey Joe whats up?"

"Where are you? Well rather, why is your car sitting on Pine Lane?"

"Pine lane? I'm on Houston.. well the car is at least, wait.. I'm in the middle of a creek..how'd you know it was me?"

At this point Joe asked if i was alright and what the heck I was doing in the middle of a creek, to which I explained things to him and he just laughed. Said the residences saw a person leave the car, go into the woods and had not yet come back, they were slightly worried and suspicious. Understandably so as I had been wondering around for more then 2 hours.

Unfortunately my back up did arrive and we did not find the cache.. according to the log, it still has yet to be found by a second person (1 find/ftf)

And while I may never know the poor soul who i did this too, while en route to a fire call i saw some one going for a cache that had been fixed a day earlier, however on the way back to the fire house on our rescue spotted the same poor soul still searching, I felt pretty bad he hadn't found it yet, so out the window I shouted at him to look "go left!" Last I saw i think he was still trying to stop his heart from pounding.

Unkle Fester and Cops go together like Milk and Cookies, or peanut butter and jelly. Let me see...

I've been stopped while grabbing a cache on my way in to work, unfortunatly a body was found in the ditch nearby a few days before and all the neighbors were jumpy. Same cops stopped me while wlking back to my car a few weeks later, they got a kick out of me looking for a cache and started caching too. They took my cell number and would call me before responding to calls.

I've been stoipped going for an FTF when a police action (Domestic Violence) occured next door, guns drawn, had me walking backwards on my knees. Had to go back the next day to make the find.

I've had local cops pull up while I'm on the other side of a hedge or tree, they've been educated now.

Had a cop pull in behind me while checking my GPS to see if one was inside the park or out, he helped me make the find, thought it was cool so he went to the next one with me, then caught up with me about 2 hrs later on another cache and helped again.

While climbing 60' up a tree a cop pulled up and watched, apparently his buddy hid the cache and he loved to give people a hard time for fun.

Had the Cops in the Middle East (Qatar) follow me, but I just kept walking.

Military Security has banned geocacing on the base I work on in Iraq, they weren't very nice about it.

All in all I've had about 20 run in's with the police. Just part of the game. How you react is a big part of their posture and attitude.

Oh well.

Edited by Unkle Fester

This is just such a coincidence! Did a search for milestones and happened upon this topic just this morning. Guess what? Last 2 runs of the day, "WHERE THE OLD IS SOLD" (GC13D2D) and 'SACRED GROUND" (GC13PD2). I was finishing up on The Sacred Ground one and up pulled a sheriff who asked "Did you find anything?". Which caught me off guard and this topic jumped into my mind. I told him I was Geocaching and had just found a microcache with log and pencil. Then he asked if I had ever been to Chelan. I said no and why? Guy said he had hid some caches up there. I ask him if he was a member of the site, he says no then another sheriff car pulls up! The first cop tells new cop new cop that I was only geocaching. I also showed the cop the 2 trackable I found today and he let me go. So we head back and at the "Where the old is new" cache are there at the site are 2 more sheriffs! Thankfully I wasn't harassed by any and the first guy knew all about it! But try and get 4 cops in 1 day! Do I get a "Been Cop Muggled" souvenir for this achievement? ;D My bumper sticker for this encounter would be "I'm just geocaching, besides, the light pole won't fit in my car".

Here is a shoddy phone cam shot from my girlfriend who was at the top waiting on me.

Cop_Muggled1.jpg

"I swear to sign the log and report it on the site"

Sorry for the lack of a police story but posting this more to help people with the "oh no, the person has left their car there for a while. I'll call the police in case they are lost or other things".

I found this, LINK. It is a vehicle placard (like one of those handicap tags that you would hang from your mirror. You can write your name / phone number on it and then laminate it. Then you write on the other side the geocache id number so if someone sees your car they know what you are doing. This should help with police coming to your car because it has been sitting there for a while.

I pulled around behind a shopping center to find a cache in the service area. There happened to be a light pole about where the cache was supposed to be so I lifted the skirt. As I was lifting it, an employee of one of the stores came out and saw me. There cache was not in the light pole so I kept looking and found it a couple minutes later. Just as I was signing the log, A police car pulled around to the back and stopped beside me. Apparently, the employee called in a suspicious lurker report.

Did you just lift the skirt on that light pole?

(not able to keep a grin off my face) Yes.

Why?

Looking for a geocache.

Followed by 10 minutes of conversation of what geocaching was.

Hi,

I've never been stopped by cops, but I suspect I was once reported to them. It was at Crawford's Cache in North Queensland. This is a lookout on a busy road through rain forest. There were lots of tourists stopping so I had to wait. At last all that was left was a large motorhome housing a couple who were almost caricature English tourists. It was a 37 degree C day and he was dressed in the driving cap, long-sleeved shirt, tie, shorts with wide legs, shoes and long socks. Well they went down the walking track Which runs about 5 ks so I thought they would be away for a while, and I went to the other side of the road to search for the cache. Just found it in the buttress roots of a large tree and stood up with the container in my arms as the couple popped out of the rainforest. They looked at me in a sort of horror. I thought I had better explain what I was doing and started across the road towards them. Well, he dadgum near broke the poor ladies back hussling her into the vehicle, and then actually spun the wheels of the bloody great lumbering motorhome taking off on the loose gravel of the side of the road. I got the log signed and shot through as I reckoned he would be reporting a drug dealer or something real soon.

Cheers,

Dan