The Police.

So, gonna get this one up here before the wife does. She couldn't wait to post this story but since I was directly involved, I'll do it.

I was reading through this thread and I think I'd be the first poster to have the police SHOW UP AT MY HOUSE! :)

So it's Christmas eve and we are about 5 minutes away from heading out to my mother's for dinner and gifts etc.

I had just gotten out of the shower and was shooting a dart gun with my 7 year old daughter when someone knocks on the door. She runs to answer it and all I hear is the words "police" and "is your mom and dad home"

I walk over to the door and I hear someone ask "Is someone shooting a gun in here?"

Daughter of course says "OH YEAH MY DAD IS SHOOTING A GUN!"

This isn't a good start. Anyway I go to the door and ask if they can give me a minute to put a shirt on because I just had a towel. I got dressed and went back to the door and they ask if they can talk somewhere privately.

Terrific.

So he says sir do you own a pickup truck?

Yes.

Is it license number... XXX XXX?

s***.. yes?

At this point I am thinking oh god someone stole my pickup and robbed a bank or something.

Sir where were you last Sunday?

Wow... I don't even know.

Were you driving on (street)?

Oh, yeah me and my daughter were.. (of course this is the part all geocachers know will get you looked at like you have genitals growing out of your forehead)..Geocaching.

So I have to explain geocaching, how many we found that day, what was in them etc etc. Then he quizzed my daughter about geocaching and she sorta explained it too.

Anyway turns out after we got to the park and got out of geotruck apparently I looked suspicious. And someone reported me because I was "looking around funny" and I had a little kid with me.

We sort of figured out that I was looking at the gps and the woods and trying to figure out which way to go and that looked suspicious.

Anyway they said they just had to follow up on this as they were going to be off for Christmas for a few days and sorry they bothered me Christmas eve.

So we shook hands and said Merry Christmas and all that good stuff and they left.

It was quite unsettling because I wasn't sure what was going on initially. They were really good guys though and I hope they had a nice holiday. Maybe they'll even try geocaching sometime.

Hope this is readable it was almost a 20 minute conversation.

Somewhere I had a great idea to make a new section in my profile, JUST for tracking police encounters.... :D 4 entries and counting. I think I hold the record for the number of law enforcement and security swarming somebody at once!! (Rancho Cucamonga, CA at "Victoria Gardens" shopping mall... :grin: Thanks Altigenman!

I must be doing something wrong. I've only been caching for three months now and I've been stopped by the police four times. Guess I just look suspicious. The first three times the officer just stopped by in a squad car and asked what I was doing. The last time however we had three units descend on us in a public park just as I had found the cache with my brother. The cache was hidden along a fence line and the workers on the other side apparently thought we were suspicious enough to call the cops. Fortunately what I assume to have been a detective (he was the only one in a suit) knew what geocaching was. They asked to see our GPS, took down all our contact information and then let us on our way. Not really amusing in any way but those are my run-ins with law enforcement.

I had my 4th run in today. I was circling GZ which was near a fence and some electrical boxes. A park ranger pull up and asks me politely what utility company I am with. Now I know good well that he knows I do not work for a utility company as I have no uniform, muddy jeans and an old thorn torn leather jacket.

Luckily I had just found the cache and walk up and told him I was geocaching, which he had heard of but did not know what it was. So for the next 10 min, I got to show him a cache, logbook, gps, other caches in the park I was going to go after, where to by a gps as he wants to now join the sport. He bikes the Delaware canal system and wants to find caches along his route.

I have finally figured out how to solve the police/ranger problem. Convert them all into cachers!

Edited by FatherAndProgeny

One time I woke up with a police officers business card on my door with the message "call me" on the back. It was a Friday so I didn't get to call him until Monday. When I called him, it turned out that someone had stolen a bunch of metal from a pedestrian canal bridge that was under construction. Apparently, I just happened to grab a geocache on that bridge the night of the robbery and some muggle wrote down my liscence plate # and gave it to the cops to investigate me. When I explained the game to him over the phone, he said it was cool that he doubted I was involved anyway because I have a clean record and he just had to follow every lead.

Another time, a cop showed up right as I was finding a cache. He got my ID and called it in while I explained the game to him. He said he stopped because he thought I may have been graphitting a wall. As I was explaining the game, he was really cool and started telling me how he had an autistic son and that he thought it sounded like a great activity for him and his son to do together. I gave him my username and e-mail and told him I would be happy to go cache with him or answer any questions about the game etc., etc. I showed him the cache and we parted ways. Later that night, the SOB came back and jacked the cache. Whadda jerk!

I showed him the cache and we parted ways. Later that night, the SOB came back and jacked the cache. Whadda jerk!

Just curious, How do you know he took the cache?

True, I can't be positive, but I found it at about 3am and the next log was a dnf 3 hours later. The owner checked it and it was gone. I assume it is possible that some muggle happened to take it between 3am and 6am, but it's incredibly more likely that the cop came back and jacked it.

I showed him the cache and we parted ways. Later that night, the SOB came back and jacked the cache. Whadda jerk!

True, I can't be positive, but I found it at about 3am and the next log was a dnf 3 hours later. The owner checked it and it was gone. I assume it is possible that some muggle happened to take it between 3am and 6am, but it's incredibly more likely that the cop came back and jacked it.

A fair assumption, but just that, an assumption. I don't believe it supports calling him a SOB or jerk. IMHO

A fair assumption, but just that, an assumption. I don't believe it supports calling him a SOB or jerk. IMHO

It was a sarcastic comment not meant to be taken literally.

<snippage>

I didn't care. My car was parked around the corner.

"No, not a true story"

Real classy.

I thought so.

Highlight the text in the quote

Yes, folks, that does teach me NOT to post in the early AM... ;)

I can't believe any of you believe this one. I think I first heard this joke from Milton Berle in the very early Sixties and it was probably very old even then.

Note to self.......

Stopping big truck along the highway in the middle of the night in south Texas, particularly near the border, can and most often does result in a conversation with INS officers. This can be especially funny when the same two officers stop to check on you twice in the same period of darkness. Do they think I am crazy yet?

I got questioned an frisked by a cop yesterday while caching. The cache was near a very small bridge in a quiet area. He said he stopped because I was sitting in my car looking like I was up to something. Of course I was, I was firing up my GPSr! At first he didn't believe it when i told him what I was doing (looking for a cache), then he made me show him, so I took him to find that cache. :)

:lostsignal:

I wonder if he became a Geo-nut after that!!!

Someone was about to jump out of their car and hike to the top of a snow berm to find my nano (stuck to a stop sign) and juuuust as they reached for the door handle, a copper rolled by. They waited for him to leave before acting suspicious... like they were "up to something"....

Note to self.......

Stopping big truck along the highway in the middle of the night in south Texas, particularly near the border, can and most often does result in a conversation with INS officers. This can be especially funny when the same two officers stop to check on you twice in the same period of darkness. Do they think I am crazy yet?

And you aren't? :):lostsignal::)

I was geoing at night in not the best part of town. It was around Ten PM when I went for this bush hide . I had my whacking stick in one hand and my four battery flashlight in the other. When I noticed another flashlight on the other side of the bush. Hoping I had help for this wicked hide I look up to see the Police wondering what I am doing at this time of night beating up a bush. :0 I do not lie to the police so I told him about GEO caching. He was fine with that he wanted to check my ID. Then another car pulls up for back up. The first guy is running my license for wants and warrents while the second police officer talks to me. He is intersted in this game and asked if I have found any tonight. He writes Geo Caching . com on his wrist. By this time the first officer comes back with by ID. Another car pulls up...Now I have Three. I tell the second officer about my last cache location I found it is a bus stop cache hidden with a hidey key under the bench. They tell me to have a nice night and all three Cop cars take off. By this time I am so raddled I just want to leave and go home and have a very strong cocktail. As I am driving home I drive by the Bus bench I told the police about all three cars have the bus bench surronded with there flashlights blazing. Better the bus bench then me.:D

I was geoing at night in not the best part of town. It was around Ten PM when I went for this bush hide . I had my whacking stick in one hand and my four battery flashlight in the other. When I noticed another flashlight on the other side of the bush. Hoping I had help for this wicked hide I look up to see the Police wondering what I am doing at this time of night beating up a bush. :D I do not lie to the police so I told him about GEO caching. He was fine with that he wanted to check my ID. Then another car pulls up for back up. The first guy is running my license for wants and warrents while the second police officer talks to me. He is intersted in this game and asked if I have found any tonight. He writes Geo Caching . com on his wrist. By this time the first officer comes back with by ID. Another car pulls up...Now I have Three. I tell the second officer about my last cache location I found it is a bus stop cache hidden with a hidey key under the bench. They tell me to have a nice night and all three Cop cars take off. By this time I am so raddled I just want to leave and go home and have a very strong cocktail. As I am driving home I drive by the Bus bench I told the police about all three cars have the bus bench surronded with there flashlights blazing. Better the bus bench then me.:D

Today I was hiding a cache and didn't even think about it since it was daylight.

I popped my head up to see a police officer parked behind my car and running my plates.

I ducked back down for a bit since I was checking coords an when I looked back up again, he was pulling away.

I think I recognized him from one of my previous encounters.

Doing a cache run from Wis to Ill while going home for Thanksgiving. Well finishing up my last cache of the night (1:30 am). I past a cop waiting on the Rt 12 off ramp, I go to the other side of the highway and go into a parking lot. Find out I pulled into the wrong lot, turning around and one of Wauconda finest getting some one on the highway parell to the parking lot. So I go to the correct lot 200 ft way and pull up to the light pole and lift the shirt and get the tube. Go back to the jeep and door open half sitting in it signing the log and here comes LEO pulls up right next to me, rolls down his window. Be fore he says any thing I go "I bet your wondering what the hell I'm doing" Him "No just wondering if you need any help" (AKA what the hell you doing by this light pole at 1:30 am on Thanksgiving and it better be good)

So I going into caching and GPS and web site

After about a couple of minutes he's like " ya I stop 2 guy doing this last week, well drive safe and watch out of all the drunks tonight" He rolls up his window and drive off.

Just remembered my "nothing is here cop.

So I pull the geomobile over and into a small gravel parking lot. There is a small field, a few trees and a geocache that has been there for at least a year. across the street you can see the park. No sooner had I pulled into the lot a lady officer pulls in behind me. Why? "Because there is nothing here."

After I did a geo 101, and she was satisfied that I might have a reason I ask some questions.

Is this not a small parking lot?

"yes"

Is this not part of the park, I can see it is here on my map.

"Yes"

Then why??

"because there is nothing here" and that is the only answer I could get from this lady.

Not too funny but tonight I was lucky enough to have neighbors call the police while I was looking for a cache. I had gotten back to my car when they showed up. Three police cars coming down a dead end road with their headlights off. I thought it was amusing as the first car blocked the bridge.

I told them I was geocaching and they offered to help but I had already looked for an hour. I was extra amused that everywhere they looked I had already looked but not in the deeper places to hide.

They said "it must not be here" which I agree.

I also think it was funny that the officer was admiring my small flashlight that was as bright as his felon-beater.

What's an outing of caching without police interaction?

Immediately as I started signing the log for an urban cache, I saw the officer headed my way. Apparently he thought I had been snooping around on private property (I hadn't, the cache was just really close to an 8' fence which I now assume surrounds private property).

Anyways, he'd never heard of geocaching (of course) and proceeded to tell me that in in the state of SC, if I'm on private property the owner can shoot me in the leg a dozen times without warning or consequence. He also told me that I should notify the other 'players' of this 'internet game' of this fact. Good grief.

I took the cache with me and brought it back a few hours later so he wouldn't muggle it.

Immediately as I started signing the log for an urban cache, I saw the officer headed my way. Apparently he thought I had been snooping around on private property (I hadn't, the cache was just really close to an 8' fence which I now assume surrounds private property).

Anyways, he'd never heard of geocaching (of course) and proceeded to tell me that in in the state of SC, if I'm on private property the owner can shoot me in the leg a dozen times without warning or consequence. He also told me that I should notify the other 'players' of this 'internet game' of this fact. Good grief.

I took the cache with me and brought it back a few hours later so he wouldn't muggle it.

Well dang. That's a bit hostile.. Some cop was late for his nappy-bye, I'd say. :surprise: You just aren't a cacher 'til you've had a cop run-in, huh? We haven't had any problems with cops at all yet. We'll end up getting caught sooner or later.. Hopefully by a cop who knows what caching is, and if we're lucky caches himself!

Was looking for a cache, but had decided the six inches of water was just too much for me to worry with wading through. As I was returning to my car, a police officer pulled up and asked if I was okay. Explained what I was doing there and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Umm, okay."

I also had to deal with a security guard at a community college. I saw him and told him what I was doing and even told him who had hidden the cache. The guard laughed and said, "She's always doing something crazy like that."

We were at an event this past weekend , darn close to a mega, 400+ attended. Part of the day involved a cache run for 22 temps, that happened to be placed near 15 or so regular caches in a HUGE new mall. While making our loop we could not figure out how to get to a certain part of he property so I hand the GPS to my 15 y/o son and tell him to bushwack a hundred yards across a field while we drove around. He takes off at a full run just as a local LEO turns the corner. He spies Cody running in the field and nails the gas and takes off across the field after him. Everyone in our group does a mild panic, I said, big deal he is doing nothing wrong, and took my time driving around the complex to reach him.. We passed to LEO going the other way as we turned down the access road to my sons location. He gets in the van, and mom asks what the LEO said, my son smiled, he said" He lil buddy, whats the big rush? You OK?" My son smiled and said "I am geocaching sir" to which the LEO said, "Aw hell, your another one of them!!" There are a lot of you here causing problems today!" We later found out this guy was stopping EVERYONE who was walking the complex, about 2 square miles. He was quite upset with all of the geocachers in the area. The event organizer called a friend on the force, about 1/2 hour later, a new unit was patrolling the mall, smiling and waving to everyone! On the way home, we pulled off the interstate to look for a cache along the guardrail, sure enough, step out of the car, and a LEO pulls up. He asks f we are OK, I said yes, were are looking for a geocache. He laughs and smiles and says, 30 feet further up! I found it yesterday! TNLNSL! and drove off.

A bit later as we are headed up the road again, as we come up on an exit, I see the lights behind me pop on, 3 times in one day is too much!! We stop and it it is the same LEO from the last cache. My son dropped his sun glasses, so he delivered them to us, then pointed out a cache 100 feet up the ramp we would have missed.. Great guy!!

Well, this isn't the best horrific story, but anyway..

My Dad and I were out to get some night caches. We got 2 of the 3 we were off to get, it was about 8-9pm. We were at a beach, so we pulled up to a shore, it was back in an alley were a hotel and a pub were planted. The cache was about the pub, and we figured out it was in the bushes somewhere near shore. There was this guy in a car just going back in forth, then he finally pulled up to us while we were going in the bushes, at first I thought it was some bad guy or something, then notice he was a undercover cop. He thought we were the bad guys finding our 'stash' untull we told him about Geocaching. He let us off the hook and handed us a spare flashlight to help our finding. We found the cache and got the heck outa' that place.

Here's one that happened to me last September (of 2009). You might get a kick out of this, but I STILL haven't been back!

It's cache number GCR4A7 --

September 19, 2009 by KD5XB [Click to add KD5XB to the VIP list.] (352 found)

Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble

BAD NEWS! While I was headed to GZ a fellow in a pickup stopped and yelled at me that I shouldn't go "up there" because of his 110 pound German Shepherd. At this point I was about 20 feet from GZ and took a step that way. Before I knew it this man was halfway to me yelling and wanting to know "what do I think I was doing". He said this whole area is his private property.

I left. Although he didn't appear to be armed, this IS Dodge City, after all.

Edited by KD5XB

A few geocaches and I were on a run through some parking lots when a cop rolled up and asked us with a perfectly straight face, "Geocaching?" We laughed and asked him if he had found it yet and all he said was, "You're close," and drove away. We got quite a laugh as we hadn't have that happen before. :)

This happened while searching for a nano cache in a park behind a church in Paris, a few weeks ago.

We were four people searching for 20-30 minutes, without finding it.

Eventually, a policeman on a bike (yes, a bicycle) arrived, saw me first, looked very seriously at me and asked what I was doing. I tried to explain Geocaching, but didn't quite get through. He asked me why I had climbed over the low fence (1m high, and wasn't impressed with my explanation that the cache might be there. He continued to ask if I had any drugs on me (!), and said no one could possilby have placed the cache beyond the fence, since it's not allowed to go there. Then another policeman on a bike arrived. He was a bit more understanding regarding geocaching, but the first policeman kept repeating "It's not normal!".

Luckily, the policemen never saw the guy who climbed the higher fence. He sneaked around the church and left when they arrived.

After a few minutes of serious conversation, the policemen let us leave. We roared with laughter on the way from the church, repeating the mantra "It's not normal!". This gave us a much funnier experience than if we had just found the cache without problems.

I have learnt now that the cache could be accessed without climbing any fences. We never did find the cache though.

When we were brand new to caching, a few months ago, we were in a town that borders with Mexico. At this time we didn't realize that sometimes you can't get to a cache from where you are. We were on a dirt road and all of a sudden there was a Border Patrol vehicle behind us. We stopped and talked with the officer, explained what we were doing, we had print outs and hoped she wouldn't ask our names, our daughter works for customs and we wouldn't want to embarrass her. She told us how to get back to the main road and we finally found the cache.

Not a comment intended to offend, but I truly do not appreciate "being played with."

Why is it that there seem to be a preponderance of "playing with" responses? Is it really considered all right by police officers to do this? It seems like an excellent way to keep the populace from gaining trust in a group of people who are often stereotyped (rightly or not: "you can get help from a police officer" is a stereotype, too).

When I've had a friend who liked to "play" with me like that, I don't think I was friends for very long. I've never considered liking to laugh "at" someone to be a good personality trait. "With," yes, but this is not a "with" type situation.

Last night my caching buddy and I were picking up a run of the mill GRC when we heard a bunch of animals making sounds similar to an elk rutting. We were a little nervous and went to investigate.

We found the animals and were checking them out with our high output flashlights when a cop pulled up behind his vehicle.

The cop wanted to know why two adults were standing at the side of the road with flashlights checking out bullfrogs.

It was sort of funny that we thought bullfrogs were elk. The cop thought it was funny too but told us there were hundreds of them in that pond.

Ok, I had placed a cache up in a tree hanging from fishing line, the container was a camo old thermos. about 10 feet away from the trees was a phone company 'box' sub-station type of thing. The cache had been up for a few weeks, and i received an email from someone and the events with this cache. The email was from a local fireman that had been called out to the cache because the phone guys saw something up in the trees and called the cops, so the cops called the fire dept. and they were getting close to calling the bomb squad....the one fireman had done a few caches and thought maybe this was a cache and was able to have someone look up caches in the area and shared with everyone what it was.... The fireman told me the cops simply took the container with them. I never received any calls, visits, etc... form anyone directly. I simply put that cache to rest........

Edited by Lovey Pigs

My wife and I were doing a series at a local college, climbing around in the bushes and trees by the entrance when security pulled up. The gentleman got out of his truck and asked what we were up to, after a quick explanation of caching, he just chuckled and wished us luck...followed by telling us this was the only one in the series he hadn't found yet! On our way out of campus he stopped us again to ask if we found it, unfortunately we hadn't...he said "dang, I was gonna ask you to go back so I could finally log this one" :)

I was looking for Everett Park and Grab and I looked in a hole in the trunk of the tree but it was empty. I started to climb the tree when I notice a Police car pulling in to the park. I jumped down and the Police man rolled down the window of his believe it or not volkswagon beetle Police car and said "I hope you have better luck finding it then I did." Turns out he was a fellow Geocacher and he even help us look but we believe it was muggled.

The officer is my former boss and his VW squad car is famous and in fact was written up by a German Auto magazine as well as our local newspaper. Several of us are very involved in caching, in fact if you ever see Bigfoot while caching, wave! :anibad:

Some time back I was looking for a cache beind a stripmall. When I pulled in I noticed two officers parked at the other end of the parking lot. It was just begining to get dark and the cache was in a line oof trees so I wanted to get a good look while I had some daylight left. After searching for a few minutes I heard th soun dof a car stoping and sure enough it was one of the officers. As he got out of the car heasked if he could help me, of course I said yes. He then asked me what I was doing and I explained it all to him, to my surprise hesaid he had heard of it from another officer but didn't know anything about it.

With his light he got right into the hunt with me, asking what I was hunting (a bison tube) expalin that to a officer. In just a few minutes the other officer pulls up asking whats going on. The first officer told him that we was looking for one of those geocache things. With that the second officer got his light and took up the search also.

Not known to us but a cook for one of the resturants had come out back to take a break and was watching the whole thing. Me, two police officers all with lights looking in this row of trees. When he asked what was going on and found out what we was doing then he also joined in.

After the cache was found it was passed around so all could see. The cops said that had seen others in different places acting just like us. So now they know about caching and said they would look it up and explain it to others in their shift meetings...a good thing and a smiley all on one cache.

Always tell the truth. I stop and quiz every cacher I see while on duty, I make them explain it then I say ok "thanks for the cache, singed log, took nothing left nothing" They always do a double take and then realize I cache myself.

But yes, just fess up tell the truth and you will go about your way.

I thought this post was hillarious. I would do the same if i was an officer.

Informing the police one cop at a time. : )

My husband and I are as :) stealth :) as a man in full drag in a southern baptist church.

A cop showed up tonight on our only night time cache. The lights went on and he inquired what it was we were doing standing on a wall with flashlights. I started to explain and not realizing that my accent ((because I'm southern and in PA)) was only confusing the man.

I never realized how much I giggle like a dork when I am nervous.. until tonight. I'm surprised he didn't give me a sobriety test. In my nervousness I wasn't paying attention to my feet and while trying to jump off the wall I face planted into the ground. All I could think about was not having a bra on. I thought great..I'm going to the hospital or jail without a bra and no makeup. Kinda didn't matter since my mouth was full of dirt and my face was scratched up. I don't think anyone would have noticed me not wearing makeup or a bra.

At some point he had gotten out of his car and was helping me to my feet.

He said "Where are you from?"

Not realizing he was picking up on the accent and the fact that he was most likely thinking I was a dumbass. I'm sure he was making mental notes not to ever visit whatever dumbass town I must be from.

I said, "We live about five minutes away."

He said, " It's a little ridiculous to be doing that this late isn't it?."

I thought to myself what? It's like 10:00p.m. I realized after he pulled away that he thought we were young. We do look young. Maybe it was the scratches. Scratches do wonders ladies..they power blast any wrinkles or lines right away!...... That or he thought I was slow and knew the home would be expecting me back.

I assured him that we weren't vandalizing the place and he said he believed me but he added.. "if you do, I will know." ((dun dun dunnnnn)) :D

It wasn't so bad but lessons learned:

1. Always wear a bra even if the cache is five minutes away!

2. Don't stand on walls at night

3. Don't get nervous and giggle like a maniac when talking to a cop.

4. Just wear a helmet as part of the geocaching experience or stay home.

5. Let my husband do all the talking.

and no...we didn't find the cache. We went home and applied ice and nursed the wounds. My ankle is swollen as is my face but I will survive...But one day..when I'm a REAL cacher I will break limbs and continue on..I'm just not there yet. :D

After reading these I just may try the truth and see what happens. Fortunately when we have been approached, it has been in an area where I can use my made up excuse. "We were here earlier and my daughter lost her necklace. We were hoping to find it before someone else did." You wouldn't believe how many security guards, officers, and complete strangers help us look for this invisible necklace. (Btw... I don't have a daughter). We have even had one officer use his spotlight at a park. We saw the cache but had to return later to sign it. Maybe I will try the truth next time just so I don't have to return.

Edited by TxJewels

Not a comment intended to offend, but I truly do not appreciate "being played with."

Why is it that there seem to be a preponderance of "playing with" responses? Is it really considered all right by police officers to do this? It seems like an excellent way to keep the populace from gaining trust in a group of people who are often stereotyped (rightly or not: "you can get help from a police officer" is a stereotype, too).

When I've had a friend who liked to "play" with me like that, I don't think I was friends for very long. I've never considered liking to laugh "at" someone to be a good personality trait. "With," yes, but this is not a "with" type situation.

Would you prefer we use the term "Show them that we have a sense of humor and are human too"? Or would you prefer we always walk around and act like we have a stick up our butts like it seems most of the general populace already thinks? There is nothing wrong with showing people that you are human, have emotions and even have hobbies. Perhaps the terminology being used here is wrong and not adequately describing the contacts.