City Select City Navigator

I have a Mapsource program that has City Select North America on it versions 5.0 and 7.0. It is time to update as many roads have been changed. I have a Garmin GPSMap60cs with about 52meg of memory so I have to go with the DVD which stinks because at 52 meg you can not put much in it at a time. I see version 9.0 is out but Garmin about a month ago told me to wait as 10.0 would be out in a few weeks. Has anyone seen the 10.0 version being offered anyplace yet?

murph

You should know that the City Navigator maps do not have the small segments you are used to seeing in City Select. Basically, most states are one segment, save large states such as Texas, which is two. All of Texas would be too large for your GPSr. Most states would fit, however.

I recently purchased the 2009 version for my Vista HCx and was able to download the 2010.1 update. I don't know when the 2010 version will be available in stores.

Did they allow you to download it free?

I was able to download it for free. I connected my Vista HCx and did an update on the Garmin web site. It took me a few tries to download the file, it's about 2gb.

I have the NT version, I don't know if this is compatible with the 60CS but the map sizes would fit on the 52mb depending on how much area you need. North Dakota is 6.3MB, Chicago is 13MB, Iowa is 13MB, New Mexico is 10.9MB; you should fit a couple of states on there.

You should know that the City Navigator maps do not have the small segments you are used to seeing in City Select. Basically, most states are one segment, save large states such as Texas, which is two. All of Texas would be too large for your GPSr. Most states would fit, however.

So your saying I should buy a new GPS?? :anitongue::) I work in a three state area, the corners of three. So I would need a GPS that could handle all three states?

I am not found of the Auto ones as you can't load waypoints in them. I have all of the sites that I go to marked out as waypoints for easy finding.

So your saying I should buy a new GPS?? :rolleyes::anicute: I work in a three state area, the corners of three. So I would need a GPS that could handle all three states?

I am not found of the Auto ones as you can't load waypoints in them. I have all of the sites that I go to marked out as waypoints for easy finding.

If you want the corners of three states, then yes, you will need to buy one of the units that accept a data card. The 60CSx would be the successor to what you have. You will alsobe amazed at the difference the high sensitivity SiRFstarIII chip makes in terms of reception.

I TOTALLY AGREE the 2009 City Navigator NT maps were obsolete when I purchased them on micro SD in January 2009. I have seen many, many areas that are way outdated. We have one BIG development in out city that has been there for at least 5 YEARS and still not on the City Nav NT 2009. Seems they have just renamed the series with "2009" and sold as was! I was very disappointed. There were businesses on the 2009 that had been out of business for nearly 4 YEARS and yet they were still on the series.

I'm not trying to persuade you to buy an "automotive" GPS but just to set the record straight you can load waypoints into most of them. If you are already familiar with loading waypoints from Mapsource into your 60CS, you can do pretty much the same thing with Garmin's Nuvi models. Once they are on the Nuvi they are called "Favorites", but they still do the same thing.

...ken...