Garmin 400T

grammerbro

I am admittedly a newby. I have downloaded several caches to my Garmin 400T. How do I delete them once I am thru with them? Look forward to enjoying this sport; please have patience if this has been answered elsewhere.

Grammerbro

Is it the Colorado 400t or the Oregon 400t?

On my Colorado, it seems one can only delete waypoints from the unit's interface - for caches one must operate on .gpx files with one's computer. I'm still new at this, though, so there's always the possibility that I missed it.

--Susan

Take a look at GSAK (www.gsak.net), more formally known as Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

No - you don't put it in your pocket, but you can use it to manage your caches, convert them to a single GPX file and modify/update/add/delete caches before uploading to your unit.

I however do it the 'hard' way which I'll try to summarize:

First I suggest getting a Premium membership. Not sure if you want to pay $30 for a year? No problem, if you have a new Garmin unit (or an older unregistered one) then just register it with Garmin then go to http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx to start your free 30 day premium membership. Then if you like it buy your annual for only $30.

Next, build Pocket Queries (that's why you need the membership) that include the caches you want - lots of search criteria to help find the caches you want.

Next, after unzipping your Pocket Query (that you recieve via e-mail) rename it to a name that means more to you. Say something like "Large-Within-50-Miles-Home.gpx". After renaming copy to your device.

If you no longer want that set of caches just rename the file by adding a .bak to the end, or take the .bak off (leaving .gpx) to 'turn on' that set of caches again later.

You can't delete individual caches that are part of a gpx that contains multiple caches without manually editing the GPX file. Not really worth all that trouble.

I haven't gotten to GSAK yet personally - but many here swear by it for management of your caches both on and off your device.

Take a look at GSAK (www.gsak.net), more formally known as Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

No - you don't put it in your pocket, but you can use it to manage your caches, convert them to a single GPX file and modify/update/add/delete caches before uploading to your unit.

I however do it the 'hard' way which I'll try to summarize:

First I suggest getting a Premium membership. Not sure if you want to pay $30 for a year? No problem, if you have a new Garmin unit (or an older unregistered one) then just register it with Garmin then go to http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx to start your free 30 day premium membership. Then if you like it buy your annual for only $30.

Next, build Pocket Queries (that's why you need the membership) that include the caches you want - lots of search criteria to help find the caches you want.

Next, after unzipping your Pocket Query (that you recieve via e-mail) rename it to a name that means more to you. Say something like "Large-Within-50-Miles-Home.gpx". After renaming copy to your device.

If you no longer want that set of caches just rename the file by adding a .bak to the end, or take the .bak off (leaving .gpx) to 'turn on' that set of caches again later.

You can't delete individual caches that are part of a gpx that contains multiple caches without manually editing the GPX file. Not really worth all that trouble.

I haven't gotten to GSAK yet personally - but many here swear by it for management of your caches both on and off your device.

I just delete the GPX file right off the garmen and you My visits.txt file to log and I copy on a new GPX file before the next caching trip.

My friend caches with a garmin oregon 400 T.

We have so far found one of the best ways to delete the caches was to pull them up on the computer and delete them one by one.

This has gotten tedious however, and when the machine is full it seems it's not accepting the new caches and not telling us it's not taking them (stupid machine)

So at this point, the gps owner is getting a few memory cards for it. He is putting different areas on different cards. One card for cougar and tiger mtn, one card for seattle. etc. Then he deletes the entire card at once. He may not have found all the caches on that card, but it's so easy to load them it's not a big deal next time he wants to cache in that area.

I don't know if this helps at all. We're just learning here ourselves.

Let us know if you've found a better way.

My friend caches with a garmin oregon 400 T.

We have so far found one of the best ways to delete the caches was to pull them up on the computer and delete them one by one.

This has gotten tedious however, and when the machine is full it seems it's not accepting the new caches and not telling us it's not taking them (stupid machine)

So at this point, the gps owner is getting a few memory cards for it. He is putting different areas on different cards. One card for cougar and tiger mtn, one card for seattle. etc. Then he deletes the entire card at once. He may not have found all the caches on that card, but it's so easy to load them it's not a big deal next time he wants to cache in that area.

I don't know if this helps at all. We're just learning here ourselves.

Let us know if you've found a better way.

I added the bolding.

Sounds like they are adding the caches to the unit 1 by 1 - much better to use Pocket Queries (either for an area or along a route) to add up to 500 in a single GPX file. The unit is restricted to 200 GPX files with a total of 2000 caches between them. Better to have 4 GPX files of 500 each then 200 singles.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm