watching cachers

I can't be the only one who does this. After I have found the cache, every time I drive or walk by the location I have to look to see if anyone is caching. The other day I was driving by one of my own caches on my way home from work, and sure enough someone was almost right on top of it. As i went by I hit the horn. They jumped about 10 feet into the air. I didn't mean to scare them but man, it was funny.

I can't be the only one who does this. After I have found the cache, every time I drive or walk by the location I have to look to see if anyone is caching. The other day I was driving by one of my own caches on my way home from work, and sure enough someone was almost right on top of it. As i went by I hit the horn. They jumped about 10 feet into the air. I didn't mean to scare them but man, it was funny.

Now that's just EVIL.

Wow! I do this all the time, but I've yet to catch someone in the act of searching. I'm always looking forward to the day I will though. I'm 14 and very small, so i plan to put on my most innocent face and ask them what they are doing. I probably won't be able to last more then a few seconds before I burst out laughing or give myself away, though :laughing:

- CalnBlakley #3

If I'm driving by a cache, I always look. But one particular cache GC133MR. I always watch. Its about 200ft from my window and I have a great view of it. If you look at the logs, I am the neighbor of the neighbor that is always mentioned in the logs. The cache IS NOT on private property but if you ever saw the location, That's the first place I would look. A week or so ago, we had just got home for caching and looked out the window. There they were :laughing: . We knew what they were looking for and I tried to get out there to warn them but was too late.

There's an infamous 4 star difficulty cache near me that is located on an old steam train engine. It's located close to the road along a very busy road that I frequently travel. It took me four attempts and well over 3 hours of searching before I found it and it's been on my watch list ever since. I have seen people searching for it on quit a few occasions, then watch of their DNF logs later.

I spotted a couple of geocachers looking for a cache that I found an hour or so earlier. It was along somewhat of a geotrail with lots of caches placed close to the road to allow those that can't walk long distances to find a few. I honked and waved my GPS as I passed and got a PM later. They DNFd on it.

I have 2 of mine that I can catch people at. One I can see S1 of a multi from my house and the entire family routinely watches people hunt for it. Considering it's a little tricky to find S1...we get a lot of laughs. The other one is visible from the indoor, elevated running track where I work out and I've watched a few people from the windows looking for S2 here.

It's all in the fun I think.

meathelmet, I laughed out loud about you hitting the horn when driving by those cachers! I would have gone twice as high as they did!

We found one cache near a coastguard station (placed by a cacher who works there) and unbeknownst to us we were on camera for the entire hunt! Good job neither of us are nosepickers or buttscratchers - could have been embarrassing!

A couple of years ago,My wife and I took a road trip to do some caches in another town about a 100 miles from where we live.While we were walking to one of the caches,we went down a back street between buildings to get to the cache site.Just as we were rounding the corner,we saw a vehicle and a couple of people looking through the rocks on the ground.We knew right away what they were looking for.We watched from around the building for about 10 minutes.They finally gave up and got in their car and left.We walked over to where they had been( the coords zeroed in right where they were at) and looked for a few minutes and found the cache.It was a very good camo and hide,so we weren't surprised that they didn't find it.

Happens all the time around here. It's a common occurrence that someone will shout out the words "GEO-POLICE!" The first couple of times it happens you jump a it. After that you just stick up your arm and wave. If the person who shouted is under age you may even use all your fingers when you wave.

Something I like to do, just because I'm a butthole sometimes :anitongue:

First, I make sure they are actually geocaching, then that they don't recognize me. I then pretend to be a non-understanding landowner/official. I watch them squirm for a minute or two then introduce myself.