Delorme PN-30 leak?

Green casing. Same GPS chipset as PN-40, but without compass and barometric altimeter. A bit le$$ than the -40 but more than the -20.

Probably the death knell for the older-processor product (PN-20).

Source? Just google it -- it's already been "reviewed" and appearing in some online catalogs.

Edited by lee_rimar

Typo fixed. Good catch, thanks. My editor is on the sofa reading a poetry magazine ;)

You could be right about it being a spoof - but given the performance difference between the PN-40 and the PN-20, it kinda makes sense. Easier to support one chipset going forward, too.

Edited by lee_rimar
...PN-40 also suffered with pre-order ads long before it came out.
Yes, and Team DeLorme in the persons of Caleb and Chip have bemoaned that fact many times. Pre-announcements are he11 on a company if they cause sales of current product to dry up and get people antsy waiting for a new one. They usually play things closer to the vest now.

The idea makes me speculate it with doubt, but two things make it seem legit to me:

- The fact that there are reviews, not just ads or "talk"

- The latest firmware update mentioned a PN-30. Most likely a typo...however, this indicates that maybe it was not. If it is using the same internals, a fimware for both would make sense.

Do the pn-20 and pn-40 typically share the same firmware update?

(Not too big a fan of the green though! A more olive-drab green would be much nicer, in my opinion. Let's hope the PN-50 or PN-60 isn't bright blue or red!. Too "Fisher-Price" for me.)

Edited by stevensj2

The idea makes me speculate it with doubt, but two things make it seem legit to me:

- The fact that there are reviews, not just ads or "talk"

- The latest firmware update mentioned a PN-30. Most likely a typo...however, this indicates that maybe it was not. If it is using the same internals, a fimware for both would make sense.

Do the pn-20 and pn-40 typically share the same firmware update?

(Not too big a fan of the green though! A more olive-drab green would be much nicer, in my opinion. Let's hope the PN-50 or PN-60 isn't bright blue or red!. Too "Fisher-Price" for me.)

I see you're from America's high 5....wanting to head over and cache the high 5's that just popped onto radar recently, kayak caches!!

As for the PN-30, sounds like the little brother is getting a new big brother?? Or is it the big brother is getting a new little brothers...or both lol

TFlight: Yes, it was your "review" that I saw first.

As for the online shopping listings - I kinda doubt they'd sell many at that price by the time it really comes out. Not enough of a difference from the PN-40.

But there are lots of possibilities there - street price might be very different by the time it is really available. Or the PN-40 might go away in favor of a newer high end model. Or there could be some other feature differentiation, not clear from the advertising yet, that makes all the models viable products even at close price points.

Did you notice June 11-12 as the estimate on when they will be in stock at many places?

Edited by lee_rimar

I'd wait and see, Debbzilla.

The difference between the pn-20 and pn-40 is pretty significant, and the substantial speed increase is noticeable.

I see a lot of pn-20's with extras going for about $300.

A new, warrantied pn-30 will be less than that (store retail and online markets will always be less than DeLorme's MSRP).

I'd wait and see, Debbzilla.

The difference between the pn-20 and pn-40 is pretty significant, and the substantial speed increase is noticeable.

I see a lot of pn-20's with extras going for about $300.

A new, warrantied pn-30 will be less than that (store retail and online markets will always be less than DeLorme's MSRP).

I was lookling at the Amazon deal - it's $155 for the PN-20 package, which seems like a good deal...

Debbzilla I have a PN-20 and I love it. For as low as $132.00 wallmart you can't beat this unit. I love the paperless caching ability and Delormes after purchase support is the best of any co. I purchased this and a Garmin Venture HC when my old legend started acting up and kept the PN-20 for myself and gave the Garmin to my wife :rolleyes: aslo I just upgraded to the new topo 8 release for just the cost of shipping (9.95) they also have a 30 day return policy so if you're on the fence it's risk free. Cladius. NOTE I also purchased the travel kit that eliminates the need of batteries (it does eat them up) and am getting 8 hours or so on a charge of constant use.

I also see that on the delorme website that they have slashed the price of the PN-20 to 200 bucks.

I got the PN-20 a little while ago, and I like a lot of things about it, although it didn't have me dropping my Lowrance right away. The chipset is very slow, so the faster chipset that this 30 has is a much welcomed addition.

The new firmware upgrade is great, no problems so far...

The paperless aspect is much better now since the new firmware, but I honestly will still carry my pocketPC with cachemate for the foreseeable future. I like to have a few user logs which the PN-20 does not display, having them tells me extra info such as last found dates, and whether or not it has been archived and my filters didn't catch it.