FTF race tiresome again

WRASTRO

I am not an FTF racer. Over the years I have, from time to time, grown tired of the various groups of FTF racers that pop up. I have noticed the recent crop seems to focus on traditionals and does not attempt multi caches and puzzles. For me this makes the FTF racers even more tiresome. I am glad the new racers are enjoying themselves. I am just finding them tiresome. Sorry if I offend anyone. Just my opinion. I still have fun caching the way I enjoy, which I do not find tiresome. I was co-FTF on a cache this afternoon that happens to be a multi. I believe it was well over two hours after the cache was published when I arrived on the scene. None of the local racers have logged it as found or DNF. I find this tiresome. They play the game their way and I play it my way. Just my opinion.

They play the game their way and I play it my way.

That is the best attitude to take. I used to race out the door to find them too, but now I just kind of roll with the punches and let them go crazy over a silly number. What does it get them in the end? Another listing on their cache stats? Fame and glory in their local caching community? Everyone has their reasons, but I agree with you...let them play it their way and we can play it our way. That is the beauty of geocaching. Kind of gives us more motivation to go out and hide multis and puzzles now!

Edited by bnprood

But why do you then let it bother you? (at least, enough to start a thread about it.) If their game is different from yours, and it doesn't impact your game, why do you care?

Why does anyone let anything bother them or cause them to start a thread about it? If I find myself feeling this way then I assume others may as well. I suppose I seek validation of my opinion or to find out if perhaps I am the only one in the local caching universe feeling this way just now.

I think these forums are intended to be a place to ask questions such as this. No?

I think you know you take more pride in being an FTF on a hard Puzzle, Multi or hike versus the drive up and get FTF. The harder you had to work to get an FTF or any cache for that matter, the more you remember it, value it, and feel good about your accomplishment.

So some haven't figured that out...they will eventually as they play the game longer. We all go through phases of our desires and abilities in the game. First it is find a cache, then it is find more than one in a day, then it progresses to harder stars or multi's. Soon the FTF fix starts..and ends...then coins are the rage. Somewhere in there is the desire to hide their own caches which the first ones are usually crap. (personal experience) Then that art gets better. There are stages to caching.....everyone works through them differently. No one appreciates a great cache until they have done enough to know the difference.

Let them have the micro magnetic drive up FTF's...anyone can.....soon enough they will advance in the game just as you and so many others have.

Just my two cents.

I am not an FTF racer. Over the years I have, from time to time, grown tired of the various groups of FTF racers that pop up. I have noticed the recent crop seems to focus on traditionals and does not attempt multi caches and puzzles. For me this makes the FTF racers even more tiresome. I am glad the new racers are enjoying themselves. I am just finding them tiresome. Sorry if I offend anyone. Just my opinion. I still have fun caching the way I enjoy, which I do not find tiresome. I was co-FTF on a cache this afternoon that happens to be a multi. I believe it was well over two hours after the cache was published when I arrived on the scene. None of the local racers have logged it as found or DNF. I find this tiresome. They play the game their way and I play it my way. Just my opinion.

Yawn.

Yawn.

Glad I could provide something soporific for your evening entertainment. ;)

I think there's several people around here that race after FTF's. At one point, I specifically set out to get my first FTF, and succeeded some number of weeks later. After that, I just didn't care as much. I think I've gotten 2 FTF's (one by pure blind luck of everyone else prior to me finding the wrong cache container... which must have been some other cacher's which got rejected or something and they never picked up), but I honestly have no clue how many I even have.

What are the odds anyone knows of a good way to search a "my finds" PQ for the term "FTF"? This topic kinda made me curious how many I have, but I don't want to bother going through over 500 find logs ;)

I think there's several people around here that race after FTF's. At one point, I specifically set out to get my first FTF, and succeeded some number of weeks later. After that, I just didn't care as much. I think I've gotten 2 FTF's (one by pure blind luck of everyone else prior to me finding the wrong cache container... which must have been some other cacher's which got rejected or something and they never picked up), but I honestly have no clue how many I even have.

What are the odds anyone knows of a good way to search a "my finds" PQ for the term "FTF"? This topic kinda made me curious how many I have, but I don't want to bother going through over 500 find logs :anibad:

The odds are 100%. :blink:

OH! You want to know how? Just ask. :D

Well... I suppose I shouldn't make you wait. :laughing: Two ways come to mind: One, open the GPX file (unzip it first) in any text editor (notepad, wordpad) and search for "FTF". Two, load the GPX file into GSAK and use the "Full Text Search" function under "Set Filter", selecting "Logs" as the area to search (otherwise you will get all the caches with "FTF goes to...").

I think the FTF thing is silly - especially for a crappy cache.

I do find it satisying to be the first to find a remote or difficult cache, but I feel no need to blow my trumpet about getting there first.

There is also something very undignified about writing "whoo hoo FTF" in the logbook. Most of these shallow logs do not have anything appreciative to say about the cache. It sounds as if that is the only reason the hunter went for the cache. What is almost worse is the next person whining that they didn't get FTF-again as if that is the only reason they went there.

Nobody cares that you got FTF (except yourself).

yes I am a geosnob

Wow I love your thread! I feel the same way about people in this game who use the forums to cry and bash other cachers for playing the game their way that is fun for them. Sorry if this offends anyone. Just my two cents or maybe it was a $1 anyway there it is.

I think it would be a boring game and World if everyone liked all of the same things and there was no difference of opinion. It would be a scary game and World if people weren't allowed to express their opinions openly and honestly.

I said only that I find the style of game play tiresome from time to time. Nothing about trying to make anyone stop playing the game the way they enjoy it. Hopefully I don't need to check in with anyone to get advance approval for the next thread topic I might consider opening in these forums. :laughing:

But why do you then let it bother you? (at least, enough to start a thread about it.) If their game is different from yours, and it doesn't impact your game, why do you care?

Why does anyone let anything bother them or cause them to start a thread about it? If I find myself feeling this way then I assume others may as well. I suppose I seek validation of my opinion or to find out if perhaps I am the only one in the local caching universe feeling this way just now.

I think these forums are intended to be a place to ask questions such as this. No?

There are times I see the FTF race as silly, other times the 'fever' overcomes me and I still try for it (I was bitten back in 2004/2005 with the FTF bug). I just found your line about their game and yours being different and your 'whine' about them doing it an interesting contrast. My thinking was if you really believe "They play the game their way and I play it my way" it shouldn't bother you that their way is different. I'm not implying/saying you shouldn't feel that way - hey, feelings happen often whether we want them too or not - it was more of a conversation about your feelings and why you might feel that way.

BTW, I'm sorry about the hijack - I'll watch it, and try to keep helpful information away from whine threads from now on... :laughing::anibad:

You didn't ask a question. You stated a negative opinion aimed at other cachers who don't play the game the way you do. IMO, that is exactly NOT what this forum is intended to be. I have some strong attitudes about the way some other people play this game, but you'll never find me calling them out in a public forum. Truth is, most people don't care about your (or my) opinion especially when they're as trivial as whether someone likes traditional vs puzzle FTFs. Live and let live and we'll all be better off.

You didn't ask a question. You stated a negative opinion aimed at other cachers who don't play the game the way you do. IMO, that is exactly NOT what this forum is intended to be. I have some strong attitudes about the way some other people play this game, but you'll never find me calling them out in a public forum. Truth is, most people don't care about your (or my) opinion especially when they're as trivial as whether someone likes traditional vs puzzle FTFs. Live and let live and we'll all be better off.

smiley-happy091.gif

well said

I think the FTF thing is silly - especially for a crappy cache.

I do find it satisying to be the first to find a remote or difficult cache, but I feel no need to blow my trumpet about getting there first.

There is also something very undignified about writing "whoo hoo FTF" in the logbook. Most of these shallow logs do not have anything appreciative to say about the cache. It sounds as if that is the only reason the hunter went for the cache. What is almost worse is the next person whining that they didn't get FTF-again as if that is the only reason they went there.

Nobody cares that you got FTF (except yourself).

yes I am a geosnob

Seeing your post got me to thinking about my most memorable FTF. What the heck did I write?

icon_smile.gif February 17, 2008 by gonegeofishing

1fairygirl and I have been looking at "The Pinnacles" for a few weeks now. As always so many things in life take priority. Well, finally up comes a little free time. I think we added a bit more distance and a little more elevation to the hike. Parked at the locked gated and hiked to the trailhead. So worth a little extra effort. Had to be extra careful in a couple steep spots where there was some pretty slick ice and snow. Baby steps. This the longest hike we have done since we started geocaching. Very fun and the cache location was a treat to explore. I wish we could have stayed longer but the days are still kinda short in the PNW. Thanks CFM for the rubber legs, tender toes, and a great geocache location. Coordinates were dead on. TNLN TFTH

What the heck. I left out the "Woot, Woot. FTF!!!" I am sorry CFM but some caches deserve one. I apologize for leaving it out. :):lol:

Now I will keep wondering what I wrote in the physical log book. :anitongue:

Seriously, I have to agree. It is those remote and difficult ones that are the most rewarding. And the most memorable.

smiley-happy091.gif

well said

Well said indeed. I find it rather comical how strongly you are disapproving of my statement that is disapproving of other people's actions.

I posted my honest opinion that I find a certain behavior tiresome when it is taken to an extreme. I have no objection to the particular behavior. I grow tired of it when it is taken to an extreme.

You are correct in stating that I did not ask a question. I stated my opinion, which I am free to do. You are more than welcome to disagree with my opinion, but you do not have the right to tell me that I am not entitled to my opinion, and that I am not entitled to express it in a public forum that is intended as a mechanism for sharing ideas and opinions about the game that we each enjoy in our own way.

If none of us ever question behavior with which we disagree then we shall certainly find ourselves in a situation where we are not allowed to question anything. I didn't say that I believe FTF racers should be stopped. I said I grow tired of it when taken to excess.

I appreciate The Jester stepping in and answering the question regarding searching PQs. I will work on remembering that we pass through stages in our caching experiences as NAJ3 pointed out.

Sorry Wrastro, it's only tiresome if you let it be. As you pointed out, to each their own game. that means let them have their fun and the way they want to celebrate it. Don't take the wind out of their sails just because it's tiresome to you.

Thanks TL, I agree in principal. I needed to vent a little. Sorry if people found my vent to be tiresome.

I haven't been in the FTF race for a while, but while I was, I thoroughly enjoyed the friendly FTF competition up here among caching friends. It was all great fun for us. I miss it sometimes. The best part was showing up at a new cache & the impromptu social event that occurred - I think that was the icing on the cake. To each his own. Everyone has their own particular reasons for enjoying different elements of caching.

I personally love the FTF race, because in my immediate area, it is a pretty good challenge. Just this last week, I was able to snatch up 11 FTF's. But I will also admit that those individual FTF's are not as satisfying as a puzzle cache or multi. I actually have a great example of this. At our local geocache meeting, I was known as the guy who solved the hard puzzle cache that only one other person had completed. But the reason I do the FTF, it is the thrill of the race.