Will this GPS work for geo caching?

J0hnzilla

I need to buy a gps so that i can geocache. The problem is, i am only 14 years old and don't have a lot of money or rich parents. Would this be a good gps to buy for a n00b like me? http://www.amazon.com/NBGPS4C2-Systems-Blu...6751&sr=8-8 Will it work? If this is not good i need a gps for 50 bucks or lower.

Thanks for the help. PS I have an amazon gift card for 50 bucks so any links to there would be very helpful.

This appears to be a GPS that you connect, via bluetooth, to another device (like a Treo). If you don't have that second device, this GPS won't do anyone any good.

To find out if you can use a GPS for geocaching, just find out if you can enter coordinates into the GPS. If you can't, then you can't use it to geocache.

For $50, probably not. I took a moment to search Amazon, and the cheapest you'll find there (at this moment) is $140. I took a peek in the "Garage Sale" thread in these forums and there's an eXplorist 210 for $80 CDN. That's about the cheapest you'll ever see anything.

Of course, if you already have a Treo (or similar device), then go for the GPS unit you already found on Amazon.

I need to buy a gps so that i can geocache. The problem is, i am only 14 years old and don't have a lot of money or rich parents. Would this be a good gps to buy for a n00b like me? http://www.amazon.com/NBGPS4C2-Systems-Blu...6751&sr=8-8 Will it work? If this is not good i need a gps for 50 bucks or lower.

Thanks for the help. PS I have an amazon gift card for 50 bucks so any links to there would be very helpful.

Sounds like you are in a position where only Amazon will do. $50 will be tough to find something appropriate. What you have listed is a bluetooth GPS receiver designed to work in conjunction with a PC or PocketPC (or other PDA). If you have a PDA then you might be able to use a unit like that - but it won't be something that's very practical.

You want to look for an eTrex (the old classic Yellow eTrex) or sometihng similar to get close to that $50 price point in a used hand held GPSr that would work for caching.

You can get those types of units off of eBay (Regular Yellow eTrex, or maybe even an eTrex Legend) for $50 - $70.

There may be others that can make a recommendation for a different model on Amazon that would be a good $50 starter.

Oh, and I like your username!