Cache Sizes

In my short time seeking caches, I've noticed there seems to be a larger number of micro caches and small caches in my area. I think my first cache site will be large enough to accommodate specialty items, bugs, coins and tags. I think the trick will be hiding a large cache and still making it a fun find.

Has anyone on here thought about starting a movement for slightly larger caches?

In my short time seeking caches, I've noticed there seems to be a larger number of micro caches and small caches in my area. I think my first cache site will be large enough to accommodate specialty items, bugs, coins and tags. I think the trick will be hiding a large cache and still making it a fun find.

Has anyone on here thought about starting a movement for slightly larger caches?

Well, I know the problem in my area is that the area is steadily and rapidly getting more and more urbanized. Since 9/11 tens of thousands of people have moved up here from NYC. They've stripped the land, destroyed most of the farms and forests and left few places to put large caches.

-K

more than once.............. ;)

Well, I've just received a large number of decent sized tins from my work and will begin creating some new cache sites in my area, including the first EVER cache within a cache. A cache hidden within a cache.

I like the enthusiasm! Not sure the cache in a cache idea is new but don't let that stop you. Go out and build a cache that you would love to find and others will love it to.

I've been in an area with a whole lot of micros. I mentioned the fact in my log that I traveled a long distance and would have liked to have dropped a TB in a cache for the mileage if I could have found one big enough. I said this in the hopes that maybe the cache owners in the area would be encouraged to hide a larger cache for TBs.

...begin creating some new cache sites in my area, including the first EVER cache within a cache. A cache hidden within a cache.

I found one of these a couple of days ago, and I know of a few others - good to see them, but I think you've been beaten to it! ;)

Well, I know the problem in my area is that the area is steadily and rapidly getting more and more urbanized. Since 9/11 tens of thousands of people have moved up here from NYC. They've stripped the land, destroyed most of the farms and forests and left few places to put large caches.

-K

s.

The Hudson Valley is still chock full of places to hide caches. Storm King, Breakneck Ridge, Harriman, Bear Mtn, Catskill State Forest, Hudson Highlands SP, Fahnstock SP, Blue Mtn park, as well as a plethora of historic sites.

The Catskill Forest Preserve has 300,000 acres and maybe a dozen caches spread out over that area.

A lot of regions would die for what is available in the Hudson River Valley.

I was just noticing the other day how long it has been since I've found a 5-gallon bucket cache. Perhaps I should place one...

Jamie

How waterproof would one be? Say an old dry wall compound bucket? Do they seal well enough? If so I have a couple spots I am thinking of for some.

The biggest problem with these is that the plastic can become brittle and break, especially the lid. I remember a long time ago, someone posted a link to a website that sold lids for buckets that were made out of a different material and were supposed to last longer and have a better seal.

I just recently hid a 13 gal. cache. It was a great challenge to find an area near me that was remote enough to hide it. But everyone seems to like it. :laughing:

I have a treasure chest that is almost ready to go. But as Andycacher says its a challenge to find a place to hide it. Then you have to get it there with out being seen.

I was just noticing the other day how long it has been since I've found a 5-gallon bucket cache. Perhaps I should place one...

Jamie

How waterproof would one be? Say an old dry wall compound bucket? Do they seal well enough? If so I have a couple spots I am thinking of for some.

I think a regular USG bucket would work but if sealed properly they are hard to get into. I can see that many people would have a tough time. If you don't seal them properly then its no problem getting the lid off. Just don't expect the stuff to stay dry. They would make a poor container.

In the past I have wished there was a difference in cache sizes. I think it would be a huge undertaking considering all of the active caches. We have a cache that is under the size of a 5 gal. bucket but still 5x the size of other regular lock-n-locks. A regular is a regular though.

Re 5 gallon buckets - there are a couple of different designs of lids for sale that are far better then using the original lid. Google 5 gallon bucket lid and you'll find 'em. The oversized spin off lid with the inner gasket I've seen used as a cache, it was working when I found it. The other style has a turning inside opening - I've never seen one in use.

I've never seen a regular 5 gallon bucket cache, using the original lid, that was dry.

Yeah! I'm new to this also but I've already developed dislike for micros hidden in rock piles. Especially if the rock pile is in plain site of everybody and their brother. I tend to ignore them partly because they are a pain but also because I don't want to be the reason that it gets found by muggles and destroyed.

Re 5 gallon buckets - there are a couple of different designs of lids for sale that are far better then using the original lid. Google 5 gallon bucket lid and you'll find 'em. The oversized spin off lid with the inner gasket I've seen used as a cache, it was working when I found it. The other style has a turning inside opening - I've never seen one in use.

I've never seen a regular 5 gallon bucket cache, using the original lid, that was dry.

The reason that caches with the original lids aren't dry is because people do not know how to properly close them.

The reason that caches with the original lids aren't dry is because people do not know how to properly close them.

That and the lids aren't meant to hold up to the weather and the uv light.

Well, I've only found 2 5-gallon buckets. One had several inches of water in it. The other was dry.

Note: Small containers will hold geocoins and small TBs.

In the final stages of planning the summer geocaching trip... We will not be doing any long hikes (due to the distance that we are driving, and due to my sister's foot.) It certainly seems that there are very few parks along the way that will accommodate 'small caches. Almost everything is micro these days! At least, in the area to which we will be heading.) Oh, well. Beggars can't be choosers.

Part of the problem with largwr caches is the need to do maintenance. Micros and nanos just need logs replaced and I for one carry spares to assist when needed.

What do you mean?

Typically, large caches are hidden in out-of-the-way places and can go years without any maintenance problems, including the logbook. I've found caches with full-size notebooks in them for logbooks. It'll be a while before that needs replacing.

Jamie

new to geocahing, but yes it would be nice to find some larger caches. found our fist micro the other day argggggggg what a task that was - but it was fun fun fun. I agree wtih solo - its nice to find a cache of any size :)

170 some odd mile west, though you might be, if you ever find yourself in Ottawa, let me know - I'll bring you by an Urban Large :anitongue:

heck yes. there are a couple old guys around me that, instead of putting thought and effort into a cache, will drop a micro. even if their old pb jar gets too old, they replace that cache with a micro. it stinks. Outisde of urban areas where you have little choice, I think larger caches are the way to go.

We generally don't trade, so size doesn't really matter in that regard, but I can't stand walking a half mile into the woods to fine a lone micro. Why put a micro when a larger cache will work?

I understand people wanting to make a hide challenging, but make it a multi with the first stage being the challenge or mix one harder micro amongst larger size containers.

I think ammo can sized caches are my favorite finds but I also enjoy a well thought out small,micro, or nano cache as well.

I would be all for seeing more large caches but I think in many urban areas it's getting tought to find spots for them.

To tell you the truth I've found very few micros, especially blinkies, where the owner simply couldn't have hidden a little larger cache nearby--if not in the exact same spot. Folks who say you can't hide larger caches in urban areas simply aren't trying.

I'm not saying every spot can handle a regular, but nearly every worthwhile spot I've been can certainly handle at least a small.

As far as 5 gal paint drums, you're going to have problems unless you protect it. The biggest problem with larger containers is folks don't put them back "right." They'll put them back like they think is right. Sometimes this is going to be on the container's side. On a container with less than perfect seal rain water is allowed to weep around the neck area and get inside.

So unless you can get a perfect seal or guarantee the container is put back upright, I'd stay away from a 5 gal drum with original seal. If I were wanting to use a 5 gal bucket, I'd probably invest in a screw-on lid, silicone the bottom of the snap-on part, and then camo every save the lid. I'd be wanting the cache to put placed upside down. The uncamoed lid would encourage this. By sealing the ring to the bucket rain water can't get in through there. (Otherwise it would act as a funnel.)

My favorite larger container are still military surplus, though. Anything made of steel, rubber gaskets, and positive closing mechanisms. SAW cans, though still in the realm of regular-sized, are a pretty good choice for larger containers. They're also known as "Fat-50" cans. They're somewhere around three times the volume of a regular ammo can and a full-sized notebook will fit.

Here's another vote for larger caches. I sometimes make a point of adding something like "It's good to see a large cache like this!" to my online log when I find one of decent size. We have some cachers in my area who have so many micros out that it seems like they carry a dozen or two with them, on the off chance that they may find a place to drop one. If that's what they like to do, fine, but it's almost to the point that when I see the name of the hider, I just move on to the next cache on the list.

I second the idea that ammo cans make ideal containers. They're durable, they are engineered to stay dry in tough conditions, and they come in a camo color already. The biggest I've seen was one that may have been a warhead container. It was 3-4 feet long, and maybe 6 by 9 inches in cross section? It's been awhile since I was there.

It's kind of too bad that the rules no longer allow burying a cache. I found one in northern Michigan that was a 5 gallon insulated cooler - you know, the ones with the screw-on tops and pour spigot on the bottom. It was buried so that only the top was above ground. A scattering of leaves, and it was invisible. It wasn't 10 feet from the trail, and no hiker would ever notice it, and it was done in a way that wouldn't disturb the surrounding area.

I sometimes make a point of adding something like "It's good to see a large cache like this!" to my online log when I find one of decent size.

As a cache owner, I find this line or its equivalent when it appears on my caches, annoying.

I know what I hid, you don't have to tell me. You're using my cache page to chide other cache owners for their container choices.

When it comes to size of container, it's rare that the cache seeker don't know upfront what size the cache is. If you want to find "regular" containers, hunt them.

Great reading all of the various comments on cache sizes. I for one like the idea of having a cache container that is unique. I will also take the advice about starting large caches in my area. The stealth required to place a large cache will add to the fun I'm sure.

To tell you the truth I've found very few micros, especially blinkies, where the owner simply couldn't have hidden a little larger cache nearby--if not in the exact same spot. Folks who say you can't hide larger caches in urban areas simply aren't trying.

I'm not saying every spot can handle a regular, but nearly every worthwhile spot I've been can certainly handle at least a small.

That's been my experience. I'm not sure if it's because people prefer to hide micros, whether they don't want to spend the money on a more significant container, or whether it's because they haven't looked very well for a good place to hide a bigger container.

In other cases, I think it's just a matter of putting caches out because one isn't already there and having a few film containers in your pocket for just that reason.

Jamie

Part of the problem with largwr caches is the need to do maintenance. Micros and nanos just need logs replaced and I for one carry spares to assist when needed.

What do you mean?

Typically, large caches are hidden in out-of-the-way places and can go years without any maintenance problems, including the logbook. I've found caches with full-size notebooks in them for logbooks. It'll be a while before that needs replacing.

Jamie

I definitely agree. All things being equal, a micro is going to need more maintenance than a larger cache. They have smaller logs that fill up faster. They are typically hidden in locations that are much more muggle-friendly. Also they have a greater number of DNFs, requiring the cache owner to verify that the cache is still in place.

What do you mean?

Jamie

I definitely agree. All things being equal, a micro is going to need more maintenance than a larger cache. They have smaller logs that fill up faster. They are typically hidden in locations that are much more muggle-friendly. Also they have a greater number of DNFs, requiring the cache owner to verify that the cache is still in place.

Funny thing, awhile back my son and I were out caching and we found the cache we were looking for but there was no pencil and we forgot ours in the truck. Being a bit lazy I didn't want to walk back to the truck for the pencil so I took a picture of the cache and sent a copy to the cache owner when I logged the find. A few days later I received an email from the cache owner and he stated that it was interesting what happens to a cache when you haven't been by for a while. The cache had started life as a "decon" container and somehow it turned into a tupperware type container. Self maintaining cache :mad: